Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
Damn some of those videos. Yea you should def return it if you hear hissing that loud. Others though if you only hear it with your ear pressed to it. I think not.

londonbairn

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2013
This was posted on another forum - and it correlates with what I was thinking, that the mic between the torch and the camera on the back is the one picking up all the noise.

An interesting find. I have the MoviePro app. It let me pick the mic for the video: bottom, front top or back mic.

When choosing bottom or top no hiss. Back mic record the hissing noise.

This would make sense. When doing voice memo I found the same as it uses the front Mike. Would explain what I found.

So this would point to a hardware fault then for both issues. A software fix would be some sort of cancellation presumably to the noise on videos or change Mike to front (which would be stupid), but any whine would still remain from the device.

Apple need to replace all affected devices in my opinion. Samsung got an absolute slating for (albeit way more dangerous issue) their edge issues but at least they got a proper recall going...
[doublepost=1475064613][/doublepost]
You would just govern the performance (underclock) when the Mic is in use. Even for 4K video recording you can go back down to 6S speeds. Should not be rocket science to write code that drops CPU speed when the Mic goes active. If it's anything like Android, there are governors that run at different speed levels and voltages. I use to play with these levels back in the old days to squeeze more performance out of the CPU. That's why Android folks make a big deal out of rooting and unlocked boot loaders because you can load custom kernels. In all other situations you would run the CPU as designed. Who in the world puts their ear to the back of a phone when running CPU intensive apps? And if you can hear the phone 12 inches from your ears than yes, get a replacement.

Not convinced a downclock will fix (and let's face it that is a fudge fix not a real solution)

Current device I have had next to zero hiss but still records it. The 3 I had before even on idle were louder than current and recorded it. So therefore don't see how that would fix it.

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
week 37, 38 and 39 all have the issue. Apple cannot change engineering flaw in a week. Likely wont get changed or will take months. By then I will already be preparing to get next year's model.

Reactions: michael31986

londonbairn

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2013
week 37, 38 and 39 all have the issue. Apple cannot change engineering flaw in a week. Likely wont get changed or will take months. By then I will already be preparing to get next year's model.
Agree By the time it all catches up will be ages..

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Here is the latest on my experience. I am now on #4 256gb Matte Black plus.

First one was the worse.
Second and third less loud
Fourth one has very little / zero buzz

However all four have a common factor; recording a video has a horrible constant "static" that you can hear. So I did a little more testing here;

I am going to give up on replacements as I have one which sounds like it is the best I will get for now.

You're experience is the "new normal" for Apple. Powerful, untouchable, highly influential over the media and their customers... Apple's in the cat bird seat. They know exactly how much they can get away with, exactly how much the faithful will tolerate while still praising Apple. As such, some of the issues they would have fixed before shipping a few years ago, they let slide now.

It's good to be Apple :D

apacho

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2016
Frankfurt
You're experience is the "new normal" for Apple. Powerful, untouchable, highly influential over the media and their customers... Apple's in the cat bird seat. They know exactly how much they can get away with, exactly how much the faithful will tolerate while still praising Apple. As such, some of the issues they would have fixed before shipping a few years ago, they let slide now.

It's good to be Apple :D

Sometimes I get the impression that people link their level of self-confidence to the perfectness of the iPhone, of course this makes it untouchable...

Legends20036

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Talked with Apple last week and they sent me a replacement for my original 7+ because they said the issue was a defect. Well, the new one is worse. Even if I am just browsing safari the noise gets loud, and should I just let the phone sit unused for a while and then take a video you can still hear the noise loudly.

I have an appointment at an Apple Store for Monday to have them look at the phone and have the issue documented. I would not get a replacement phone until the number of phones with this problem drop. Both my original and replacement were week 36 Foxconn phones. My friend's has no issues and has the same build info.

Last edited:

eric3312

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Sorry if my post is a repeat...Can't tell if my phone actually posted it or not.

Is this issue primarily with the iPhone 7 Plus models? Because if it is, I'm considering returning my iPhone 7 Plus and just getting the regular iPhone 7.

But, if it's across both models, then I may just keep my Plus and wait it out.

Karol

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2016
Slovakia
Gentlemen,

today I finally received my Iphone 7 128 GB Gold.
- screen is a bit warmer, but no yelow tint
- voice quality OK
- no display creaking nor clicking

BUT

Unfortunately, I'm also the one who has buzzing sound coming from back..
Seeing all these comments, not really sure how to proceed. Is this a SW or HW issue? Any feedback from Apple?

General information

• Factory: FK1

• Year: 2016

• Week: 35 (29.08 - 04.09)

Pretty weird factory week considering today is 28.9, but nevermind.

Anyway, also check this screenshot, I do have 4,7 inch model (classic iPhone 7) and SNDeepInfo says that I do have 3GB RAM (of course, not sure how SNDeepInfo can be trusted). I mean IP7 is supposed to have only 2GB RAM, or?

Attachments

• Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    30.6 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Sometimes I get the impression that people link their level of self-confidence to the perfectness of the iPhone, of course this makes it untouchable...
Why over think the obvious...

Because Apple Devotees are compelled to redirect any responsibility away from Apple and drop it on anyone who thinks independently and offers a counterpoint. Here in the hallowed church of Apple it's best to genuflect at the foot of Tim Cook and company.

Reactions: SBruv

hinesmj

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2015
New York
Sorry, late to the party...are ALL phones affected? Or just some in each build week? Has anyone looked at the incidence rate/percentage?

Also, SNDeepInfo tells me my phone was build week 39 (26.9-02.10). Considering my phone is arriving today, I find it hard to imagine it was built within the past two days.

Last edited:

cinek2

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2014
got another week 37 phone, lets see how it goes
[doublepost=1475086572][/doublepost]still buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing

kuechi

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2016
Let's be real, has anyone ever gotten a real technically accurate response from a genius? We make far better conclusions here on these threads than any of them do. The best response I've ever gotten from them was "Yeah that doesn't seem normal, let's get you a new one".
Hello, just today I was talking to the guy from genius bar and let him hear this hissgate. They look into it and said its only the cpu and its normal. So no need for exhange.

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Hello, just today I was talking to the guy from genius bar and let him hear this hissgate. They look into it and said its only the cpu and its normal. So no need for exhange.

I don't mind have his noise, but I mind to have it on camera video background

RyCan3

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2010
Just received my replacement, another week 37. Still buzzing in videos
[doublepost=1475088843][/doublepost]Oh and the screen has a more yellow tint so I'm sending the replacement back

kingofkings11

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2016
Give it a try anyway -- probably a 50/50 chance it's an improvement. I don't think all phones had the problem even in week 37.
[doublepost=1474988995][/doublepost]

Just received my replacement and it also makes the static noise.

Im starting to this this is normal for all types of devices. My Google Pixel C also makes the static noise when you put your ear to the back where the processor is located. What is not normal is for it to be picked up during video recording. Either the noise is louder than normal on the iphone 7/7 plus or the mic is too sensitive.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
If this was a hardware problem, how is apple gonna replace many iPhones? I mean isn't it design flaw? If so, you can't do much about that unless they redesign it and sell you the next version.

londonbairn

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2013
If this was a hardware problem, how is apple gonna replace many iPhones? I mean isn't it design flaw? If so, you can't do much about that unless they redesign it and sell you the next version.

They should recall and replace like any good company would. Problem is they would probably have to recall every single one sold from sold date, doesn't look like you can pin point it by batch. Also I think the prevalence is underestimated. In a way it is a niche issue (e.g. Most people wouldn't even notice) and it's not major like an exploding battery where 1 is too many and requires immediate attention.

To be fair they are fine with playing the exchange lottery but when you get to my position whereby you find a device with next to zero hiss but still the camera recording issue what do you do?

I have another 13 days left to exchange the 4th device so let's see if anything major happens in that time.

Can others who like me have near zero hiss from the back record a video and confirm if they have that stupid sound?

Reactions: pat500000

MathersMahmood

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2016
England
I'm pretty much on the same wagon. I compared my wife's 6S Plus to my 7 Plus and mine has a louder "buzz" in video recordings.

It's a design flaw and Apple will do nothing about it, and we'll learn to live with it.

In a way i want to replace it loads of times until the issue is resolved but don't want to keep cancelling my upgrade program and starting a new one or risk getting one that is worse. So i'm kind of stuck at the moment on what to do.

londonbairn

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2013
In a way i want to replace it loads of times until the issue is resolved but don't want to keep cancelling my upgrade program and starting a new one or risk getting one that is worse. So i'm kind of stuck at the moment on what to do.

Exactly what I did but I feel any one I get now will be worse than the one I have now.

Reactions: MathersMahmood

3square

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2014
reporting in. brand new, not a replacement

i'm hearing buzzing statics. The buzzing is constant and especially noticeable when under loads: downloading apps etc.

week: 38 (19.09 - 25.09)
factory: F2L - China, Zhengzhou

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.