Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
They should recall and replace like any good company would. Problem is they would probably have to recall every single one sold from sold date, doesn't look like you can pin point it by batch. Also I think the prevalence is underestimated. In a way it is a niche issue (e.g. Most people wouldn't even notice) and it's not major like an exploding battery where 1 is too many and requires immediate attention.

To be fair they are fine with playing the exchange lottery but when you get to my position whereby you find a device with next to zero hiss but still the camera recording issue what do you do?

I have another 13 days left to exchange the 4th device so let's see if anything major happens in that time.

Can others who like me have near zero hiss from the back record a video and confirm if they have that stupid sound?
Yeah..they should replace it....but it might occur again. If so, Apple gift card would be nice.

Since Apple have iPhone serial numbers or whatever...when they sold the products to the customers, I think they would have a good idea...in regards to pin pointing...but then I could be wrong.

londonbairn

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2013
Yeah..they should replace it....but it might occur again. If so, Apple gift card would be nice.

Since Apple have iPhone serial numbers or whatever...when they sold the products to the customers, I think they would have a good idea...in regards to pin pointing...but then I could be wrong.

The cynic in me says they won't do anything because the press aren't massively interested. It will quietly get fixed and if you moan about it they will replace it on an ad hoc basis.

I find it funny every time I speak to AppleCare about it they always say "oh this is the first I have heard of this!". Stores have been honest when I replaced they said they have had a few come in doing exchange roulette like me.

Reactions: pat500000

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
The cynic in me says they won't do anything because the press aren't massively interested. It will quietly get fixed and if you moan about it they will replace it on an ad hoc basis.

I find it funny every time I speak to AppleCare about it they always say "oh this is the first I have heard of this!". Stores have been honest when I replaced they said they have had a few come in doing exchange roulette like me.
It's probably first time hearing about it for them because they probably don't have one. Lol

But anyway. It more likely not that they would fix anything. It's pretty much a design flaw/or hardware related.

SBruv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
They should recall and replace like any good company would. Problem is they would probably have to recall every single one sold from sold date, doesn't look like you can pin point it by batch. Also I think the prevalence is underestimated. In a way it is a niche issue (e.g. Most people wouldn't even notice) and it's not major like an exploding battery where 1 is too many and requires immediate attention.

To be fair they are fine with playing the exchange lottery but when you get to my position whereby you find a device with next to zero hiss but still the camera recording issue what do you do?

I have another 13 days left to exchange the 4th device so let's see if anything major happens in that time.

Can others who like me have near zero hiss from the back record a video and confirm if they have that stupid sound?

I can't be arsed recording a video to prove it, but I can absolutely assure you that I have no hiss from the back but definitely get the constant high-pitched whine in videos.

They. All. Do. This.

londonbairn

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2013
It's probably first time hearing about it for them because they probably don't have one. Lol

But anyway. It more likely not that they would fix anything. It's pretty much a design flaw/or hardware related.

I'm pretty agnostic to brands and switch frequently over the years. I remember when I had a MacBook that constantly overheated and had multiple logic boards replaced. It was the white ones that had no real ventilation which was a clear design flaw. Got fed up and Apple eventually gave me my money back.

Remember posting about at the time (2006 I think) and the fervent fanboyism that followed my factual post was hilarious.

I'm getting a bit annoyed with Apple now as they are behind on nearly everything (in my opinion). However love my iPad Pro 12" which has been my favourite tech purchase for sometime (after Honeywell Evohome)
[doublepost=1475093142][/doublepost]
I can't be arsed recording a video to prove it, but I can absolutely assure you that I have no hiss from the back but definitely get the constant high-pitched whine in videos.

They. All. Do. This.

That's my suspicion.

Reactions: pat500000

3square

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2014
sorry if this was posted already, i rather not dig through 47 pages of post.

have anyone receive a replacement that resolve either or both issues? static noise from back of the phone and static noise in recorded videos

thanks

Reactions: imlynxy

londonbairn

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2013

have anyone receive a replacement that resolve either or both issues? static noise from back of the phone and static noise in recorded videos

thanks

No just the back phone issue it seems

Reactions: 3square

Hogg

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016

thanks

The guy on Twitter who was the first known person to bring up the hiss n click issue, said his replacement was perfect.

cc999

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
Just got my Verizon iphone 7 plus 256 matt black

Week: 39 (26.09 - 02.10)

PERFECT. No hiss, beautiful screen.

Another thing I noticed. My prior phone was a week 37 ATT model and the sound of the
stereo speakers are noticeably different. The Verizon model I now have is much better.
I was really surprised. The Verizon model has a much better bass sound as the ATT version
seemed tinny.

I returned the ATT model because of the Verizon model being the true sim free model with ALL bands.

CC

londonbairn

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2013
Just got my Verizon iphone 7 plus 256 matt black

Week: 39 (26.09 - 02.10)

PERFECT. No hiss, beautiful screen.

Another thing I noticed. My prior phone was a week 37 ATT model and the sound of the
stereo speakers are noticeably different. The Verizon model I now have is much better.
I was really surprised. The Verizon model has a much better bass sound as the ATT version
seemed tinny.

I returned the ATT model because of the Verizon model being the true sim free model with ALL bands.

CC

No hiss as well on recording a video in a silent room?

BigSky20

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2007
I suspect because of the new powerful processor that the noises are as designed. They probably assume that the vast majority of people would not notice it on the back and would not notice the sound on video. Maybe this is just the trade off of the new powerful processor. It seems like this is normal. Acceptable? Not to me. I took mine back and I am waiting for a new one to be delivered at the end of October to see if it is just a batch issue.

They honestly should release an iPhone and an iPhone Pro. The iPhone Pro should have a much higher QC process for displays, sound dampening, phone body etc. The iPhone Pro would cost more, but would be tailored to the more picky clientele...like me! I would pay more if I knew I did not have to play the lottery on the new phone.

Reactions: brianjsw01

Waughy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
Australia
[
Who in the world puts their ear to the back of a phone when running CPU intensive apps? And if you can hear the phone 12 inches from your ears than yes, get a replacement.

That's it, and how many other models exhibit any sort of noise if you do the same. I can't hear mine unless it's against my ear, but others say they can hear it sitting next to them, those phones should be replaced. I'm happy to hang onto mine for now until more is known about the issue, cause and remedy.

It does appear the mic next to the camera is the one that pics up the buzzing in pics. Maybe it just needs it's sensitivity turned down, that should help with that, as well as the white noise that comes through a bit too strong.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
[

That's it, and how many other models exhibit any sort of noise if you do the same. I can't hear mine unless it's against my ear, but others say they can hear it sitting next to them, those phones should be replaced. I'm happy to hang onto mine for now until more is known about the issue, cause and remedy.

It does appear the mic next to the camera is the one that pics up the buzzing in pics. Maybe it just needs it's sensitivity turned down, that should help with that, as well as the white noise that comes through a bit too strong.
Agreed. If it's buzzing for being on the desk and you Hear it then yes replace it. But I feel most people here are replacing it because when next to their ear they hear the buzzing sound. Who does that. Well basically all of us but still.

I'm wondering based on a poll how many actually hear buzzing without having it next to their ear.

eric3312

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
is there a difference between the various factories these are made at? My brand new 7 Plus serial started with F and the replacements I have seen start with a C.

Just curious if anyone knows the difference with the locations or factories.

iMacca44

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2012
Agreed. If it's buzzing for being on the desk and you Hear it then yes replace it. But I feel most people here are replacing it because when next to their ear they hear the buzzing sound. Who does that. Well basically all of us but still.

I'm wondering based on a poll how many actually hear buzzing without having it next to their ear.

How far away are we saying is a problem though? I'd be fine it I had to jam mine against my ear to hear it, but if it's doing any data transfer I can hear it from a few inches away.

Apple sales are sending me a brand new replacement and returning this one so will see what the new on is like...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.