Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eric3312

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
How far away are we saying is a problem though? I'd be fine it I had to jam mine against my ear to hear it, but if it's doing any data transfer I can hear it from a few inches away.

Apple sales are sending me a brand new replacement and returning this one so will see what the new on is like...

Brand new retail box with accessories, or just the device?

Waughy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
Australia
How far away are we saying is a problem though? I'd be fine it I had to jam mine against my ear to hear it, but if it's doing any data transfer I can hear it from a few inches away.

I'd consider it an issue if it could be heard without having to hold it against your ear. Anything beyond normal distance when holding the phone to text or play a game. I know if I could hear mine while I was using it I'd be annoyed by it.

Interested to see how your new one goes, and how this week 39 and beyond should be fine thing goes. If there are no issues after that production cycle then I'll chase a replacement.

3square

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2014
I'd consider it an issue if it could be heard without having to hold it against your ear. Anything beyond normal distance when holding the phone to text or play a game. I know if I could hear mine while I was using it I'd be annoyed by it.

Interested to see how your new one goes, and how this week 39 and beyond should be fine thing goes. If there are no issues after that production cycle then I'll chase a replacement.

for me, the degree doesn't matter. i'm paying this much for something, i shouldn't have to compromise anything.

Reactions: At0m1cPunk

3square

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2014
If it's only close to your ear. Sorry that's ridiculous.

That is not ridiculous, it's getting your moneys worth. I paid full price, why should I compromise anything. You are not an apple engineer or anyone close to that to definitively tell me this isn't some sort of a problem now or later on in a few months.

I mean when i paid for it, what if i told them I have 98% of the total. Can we just round that up and let it go? It's that close to full price anyway. That would be ridiculous.

0r30

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2010
Texas
I can hear it on both my iPhone 7 plus and my gfs iPhone 7 only when the phones are up to my ear.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
That is not ridiculous, it's getting your moneys worth. I paid full price, why should I compromise anything. You are not an apple engineer or anyone close to that to definitively tell me this isn't some sort of a problem now or later on in a few months.

I mean when i paid for it, what if i told them I have 98% of the total. Can we just round that up and let it go? It's that close to full price anyway. That would be ridiculous.
So your 1000 dollar lap top should also not be making noise eh.

brianjsw01

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2015
Agreed. If it's buzzing for being on the desk and you Hear it then yes replace it. But I feel most people here are replacing it because when next to their ear they hear the buzzing sound. Who does that. Well basically all of us but still.

I'm wondering based on a poll how many actually hear buzzing without having it next to their ear.

My opinion:. Call a friend that still has a land line on speakerphone. While talking start and close apps. Ask friend if he hears the buzzing sounds on his land line. Land lines don't filter any sounds so the problem is more easily exposed this way. Finally record a video and play back on TV. If both tests pass, and you can only hear noises holding the back of the phone to your ear, it's not a problem.

Mine fails the land line test and the video playback test in a quiet room.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
My opinion:. Call a friend that still has a land line on speakerphone. While talking start and close apps. Ask friend if he hears the buzzing sounds on his land line. Land lines don't filter any sounds so the problem is more easily exposed this way. Finally record a video and play back on TV. If both tests pass, and you can only hear noises holding the back of the phone to your ear, it's not a problem.

Mine fails the land line test and the video playback test in a quiet room.
Video I haven't heard buzzing. Only white noise.

Reactions: brianjsw01

At0m1cPunk

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2010
My co-worker just received his Jet Black 7 plus 256 GB. He was downloading 1000's of songs. The back was warm. When I held the phone up to my ear it was dead silent. He has no noise under load whatsoever on this phone. That immediately tells me, even if you only hear the noise when you place it up to your ear, you have a problem. Since we don't know what this noise is, we don't know if it will be something that fails down the road. Do you want to take that chance? I have a replacement coming soon, so hopefully it will be ok, if not, I will keep exchanging them until I get one that is normal. By normal, I mean silent like all of the other iPhones I owned.
[doublepost=1475124141][/doublepost]
Hello, just today I was talking to the guy from genius bar and let him hear this hissgate. They look into it and said its only the cpu and its normal. So no need for exhange.
This is NOT normal. I just held a co-workers Jet Black 7 plus 256 GB AT&T that was downloading 1000s of songs. It doesn't make a peep holding it up to your ear. I tried several times and heard nothing. I know its working hard because the back was warm. I can hear chirps on mine sitting idle and if I download music or run speed test, I can clearly hear the static buzzing.

shuravko

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2016
My co-worker just received his Jet Black 7 plus 256 GB. He was downloading 1000's of songs. The back was warm. When I held the phone up to my ear it was dead silent. He has no noise under load whatsoever on this phone. That immediately tells me, even if you only hear the noise when you place it up to your ear, you have a problem. Since we don't know what this noise is, we don't know if it will be something that fails down the road. Do you want to take that chance? I have a replacement coming soon, so hopefully it will be ok, if not, I will keep exchanging them until I get one that is normal. By normal, I mean silent like all of the other iPhones I owned.
[doublepost=1475124141][/doublepost]
This is NOT normal. I just held a co-workers Jet Black 7 plus 256 GB AT&T that was downloading 1000s of songs. It doesn't make a peep holding it up to your ear. I tried several times and heard nothing. I know its working hard because the back was warm. I can hear chirps on mine sitting idle and if I download music or run speed test, I can clearly hear the static buzzing.

Could you please check what week his iPhone was made?

omihek

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
Salt Lake City, UT
Try holding your empty hand close to your ear and see if you still hear the hissing.

I may just be one of the lucky ones with no hissing, but I thought I heard a hiss while holding the phone to my ear during a restore, but then I set the phone down and held my empty hand to my ear and heard the exact same "hiss".

Last edited:

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
They should recall and replace like any good company would. Problem is they would probably have to recall every single one sold from sold date, doesn't look like you can pin point it by batch. Also I think the prevalence is underestimated. In a way it is a niche issue (e.g. Most people wouldn't even notice) and it's not major like an exploding battery where 1 is too many and requires immediate attention.

To be fair they are fine with playing the exchange lottery but when you get to my position whereby you find a device with next to zero hiss but still the camera recording issue what do you do?

I have another 13 days left to exchange the 4th device so let's see if anything major happens in that time.

Can others who like me have near zero hiss from the back record a video and confirm if they have that stupid sound?

Recall all the phones? On your 4th device? Starting to think that this phone is not for you. What's the magical number of exchanges you're willing to endure before it becomes apparent, that this is a characteristic of the A10 CPU? And as you stated, most people won't even notice and iPhones are still selling like hot cakes. The typical iPhone owner is enjoying the phone right now. Apple is not going to redesign the CPU for a bunch of perfectionist with OCD and superman hearing. The best case we can ask for is a software fix either at the Kernel or OS level.
[doublepost=1475141855][/doublepost]
hope my new iPhone 7 will not have such problem

It will. Even if you don't have the CPU hiss you may still have white noise during recording. That could be related to the quality of Mic being used. So enjoy the phone by not looking for trouble or waste time searching for that unicorn device.

kawa636r

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2016
Spain
Recall all the phones? On your 4th device? Starting to think that this phone is not for you. [doublepost=1475141855][/doublepost]

What are you telling guy????? Are you crazy? You think that is normal the loud issue? And why some devices makes this hiss and some other one no?
You are harassing me telling " Starting to think that this phone is not for you".

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
I have this, too. If it's normal, I don't mind. If it's not normal and the sign of something that might give up the ghost in a few months I'd rather return it.

I've tried reading through this thread, but there's 48 pages of people saying "Me too" and "maybe it's the phone snoring".

Is there actually any conclusion as to whether we should be concerned/return our phones?

Kristine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2005
So after returning my iPhone 7 Plus and waiting a week, I went and got a replacement today. It is exactly the same week as my returned one, and the hiss is the same - it is noticeable every time you unlock the phone.

iPhone 7 Plus
Week 36 (05.09 - 11.09)
Serial: C39

Not sure what to do at the moment.

mackiee

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2014
I have this, too. If it's normal, I don't mind. If it's not normal and the sign of something that might give up the ghost in a few months I'd rather return it.

I've tried reading through this thread, but there's 48 pages of people saying "Me too" and "maybe it's the phone snoring".

Is there actually any conclusion as to whether we should be concerned/return our phones?
That depends on your definition of "normal". It seems that most iPhone 7(+)s have this "issue"... So yes, I would say that it is normal for this phone. "But should it be there?" Unfortunately I think this is caused by tolerances in the manufacturing process which also means that it can vary in degree between phones. It seems that the dead silent ones are very very rare. I also do know that my Sony Z3+ (which has a Snapdragon 810 processor) also makes the same kind of buzzing, chirps, ticking etc. I have had that phone for over a year now and not even noticed it did those kind of sounds before I came a cross this thread... This alone, and the fact that I do not seem to have any problems with sounds when recording videos, tells me I will not be bothered.

With that being said, if you can hear this sound from far away (more than maybe an inch or two) from your ear, I would say that it is beyond what you would expect and need to accept, and I would return it. Just my 2¢...

LyricalMenace

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2010
My coworker just received his phone yesterday. I told about the problems and he let me test it today.

ZERO noise on the back of the phone when running speed test. I'm going to test further. Will record a video when we have silence.

F2M week 38 Sprint 32GB matte black 7 plus.

This gives me hope. Going to return my phone under 14 day return policy and get a new one when I can find one available to reserve.

Reactions: MathersMahmood

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
If this was a hardware problem, how is apple gonna replace many iPhones? I mean isn't it design flaw? If so, you can't do much about that unless they redesign it and sell you the next version.

They don't have to replace my two iP7s. I returned them.
[doublepost=1475149466][/doublepost]
If it's only close to your ear. Sorry that's ridiculous.

If that was the only issue, I'd agree, but it was clearly audible in HD video recordings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.