Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crawltochina

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2015
My 7+ has it also to a very low degree which is no problem for me. I can only hear it with my ear on the back of the phone, so no problem at all.

But: Today i was in a T-Mobile Shop and checked the 7+ there. I really was not thinking about the issue when suddenly i heard a high pitched sound. It was not quiet in the shop and i could hear it with the phone in front of me. I couldn't believe it and put the phone on my ear: Indeed, the loud high pitch was from the 7+. And it was doing it constantly. Now THAT was a degree of this issue which i could never tolerate. I was almost shocked.

yashz

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2015
USA
My friend just received his 7+ MB. No noise that I can hear at all. When recording video it's just white noise instead of mine that has a hissing/static noise.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
I have two 7s here, one does not make any noise at all, and the other does.

So I would say it could be considered not "normal" otherwise they would both be doing it.

But the screen lottery is a far more dangerous game to play than the hissing one. Im talking about 7s only not 7+

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Ok. Good luck with the exchange. If it bothered me I would return it but not exchange it for a new one until Apple has sorted it out (if they ever will). I'm pretty sure people will report to this thread when/if this is fixed.
I do the same.

mjjferreira

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2016
It's funny to see that the first thing some people here are doing, is to unbox their new phone and try to find the hiss sound ASAP!

I have mine for a week now i don't hear a hiss and i will not try to.
For sure i am not placing my ear on the back of the phone searching for noises!

I'm using the phone as i've been using all my previous phones, if then, in my NORMAL use i pickup any issue i will use the warranty and fix it (or replace it).

Don't go on a hunt for problems!

Reactions: vdor and cdmoore74

KA0S11

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2016
In the iSheep Pasture
I've been reading for a long time, and finally decided to join so I could add to this thread.

I'm on my second Matte Black 7+ 128 GB. On my first device, I did not hear any hissing or anything, but when I placed the phone on a table, and recorded a video for ten seconds, I would hear what sounded like bacon sizzling.

During videos in quiet places, the white noise was present, and seemed to gain whenever there were noises. For example, snapping my fingers.

So I went to the Genius Bar today and they exchanged my phone for me for a new one. The tech could hear the "sizzling", and he said this is NOT normal. So they went ahead and replaced it with a new phone.

I recorded with the phone on a flat surface, and the "sizzle" is still there, but more faint.

The white noise is FAR less noticeable.

First device was serial number F2L, and new phone is F2M. Both from the same factory but different weeks.

So all of the findings were documented. At this point, I think we have to wait for Apple to acknowledge there is a hardware issue, in order to get a "fix". Otherwise it seems to be luck of the draw. Also, there's no telling whether the white noise and sizzling will get worse on this device either.

iMacca44

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2012
Brand new retail box with accessories, or just the device?

Brand new in box. Essentially the sales team has put in a new order and is organising for my current one to be picked up for return on the day the new one arrives.

I called sales about extending my return period after being advised by Apple Care that might be possible, given they are still investigating. Person on the sales Call basically said "you're having problems with your brand new phone?? How about I just send you a new one?"

Reactions: kuechi

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
I got a new phone and it's week 38 and it's even worse than my previous one. Tons of buzzing during recording. Another return to Applecare! I don't really care about getting a new in box, since it's the iPhone Upgrade Plan.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
I'm convinced EVERY phone makes some noise when placed to ear. The ones that are loud and heard from further away. Replace.

codyjaymke

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2016
So what's the consensus on this? I just got my 7+ that also makes a hissing noise - and I can kind of hear it in my videos. But I'm wondering if I go and replace it at the Apple Store, if I'll just get another one with the same problem? What should I do?

RyCan3

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2010
So what's the consensus on this? I just got my 7+ that also makes a hissing noise - and I can kind of hear it in my videos. But I'm wondering if I go and replace it at the Apple Store, if I'll just get another one with the same problem? What should I do?
I replaced mine and the replacement phone came with more issues so I sent it back. At this point I think the best thing to do is wait to see if Apple acknowledges the issues.

SoupyFlow

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2008
San Francisco, CA
So I just checked my old iPhone 5 and it does the same hissing thing as my iPhone 7 Plus. I used that iPhone 5 for over 2 years and never noticed, until today when I stuck my ear up to the back of it which is not something I have ever done, or need to do.

My iPhone 7 Plus does it too and slightly louder, but with my case on, I have not noticed the hissing in bed late at night or any other quiet situation.

However playing with my iPhone 5 again kind of makes me miss the smaller phones, I am tempting to go trade in my 7 Plus for a normal 7 now. :p

Reactions: michael31986

mattdeezy

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
Mine does this too. Note sure if i can be bothered bringing it back unless it is proven to cause any issues. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Hogg

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
It's funny to see that the first thing some people here are doing, is to unbox their new phone and try to find the hiss sound ASAP!

I have mine for a week now i don't hear a hiss and i will not try to.
For sure i am not placing my ear on the back of the phone searching for noises!

I'm using the phone as i've been using all my previous phones, if then, in my NORMAL use i pickup any issue i will use the warranty and fix it (or replace it).

Don't go on a hunt for problems!

Sounds like your's is a good one :) Like the vast majority, no doubt. Congrats! However, some are not normal, and we are well past the point of wondering if this is a real issue affecting some units. It is real for some.

Being able to clearly hear hissing and clicking in video recordings, under load, phone calls etc....is not normal. Not at all. The problem units are bad enough, that you don't have to hold it to your ear to hear it. You hear it during normal use. No other smartphone on the market makes the kind of noise coming from some of these particular 7's. Nothing. The slight hiss from the 5 or 6 series, is near silent, even when holding it to your ear. Not comparable at all.

And there's nothing at all wrong with thoroughly checking out an expensive item, of any kind, to make sure it's perfect right out of the box. It should be, obviously. It aint cheap and there's a well known issue. That's just being a good consumer and holding companies accountable. Normal stuff :)

Apple will sort it out eventually. They always do ;)

Cheers

Reactions: apacho

iMacca44

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2012
I don't debate that other phones have this noise as normal electronic function, but I've just opened Pokémon go on my 7 plus, a 5s and a 6.

On my 7 plus the sound is loud and clear through my case if I put my head close. On the others, I have to remove the cases and jam them up against my ear. Even then it is a faint sound, which is normal.. 7 plus isn't.

wepiii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2012
Mine was very loud. Like loud enough that I could hear it in the background of phonecalls, so I called apple and they said they would do an express replacement. I called around 5:30PM yesterday, and Fedex showed up this morning at 11:30 with the replacement. Replacement was actually louder than original if I hold my ear up to the back of it, but I can't hear it at all in phone calls anymore, so I'm good with it. Will be interesting how this all plays out... my advice would be, that if you can't hear it in calls, or in video recordings to just not worry about it.

hachyderm

Suspended
Sep 15, 2014
I have to put my ear to the back of my 7+ to hear the hissing noise. That in of itself does not concern me. My problem is the awful "white background" noise in all the videos I take.

snsking

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2013
Mine was very loud. Like loud enough that I could hear it in the background of phonecalls, so I called apple and they said they would do an express replacement. I called around 5:30PM yesterday, and Fedex showed up this morning at 11:30 with the replacement. Replacement was actually louder than original if I hold my ear up to the back of it, but I can't hear it at all in phone calls anymore, so I'm good with it. Will be interesting how this all plays out... my advice would be, that if you can't hear it in calls, or in video recordings to just not worry about it.
Did you receive a brand new phone or a refurbished model?

hollowplayer

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2011
i dont think buzzing is a big issue, but video recording just so annoy, with static buzzing when volume at max. I will keep my SE and return the phone until they fix it.

Reactions: imlynxy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.