Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
For the heck of it I ran the Google Octane test:

https://developers.google.com/octane/

I sat in a dead silent room and listened intently in the back by the Apple Logo.
It is dead silent. Nothing. This disputes that all phones have this problem.
I guess I lucked out.

iPhone 7 plus - 256 - matt Black - Verizon unlocked version - week 39 production.

CC
Hmmm. Not sure I believe it. IMO all make slight humming you have to listen to the back. But maybe you got the only one.

What does this java test to

kevroc

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
For the heck of it I ran the Google Octane test:

https://developers.google.com/octane/

I sat in a dead silent room and listened intently in the back by the Apple Logo.
It is dead silent. Nothing. This disputes that all phones have this problem.
I guess I lucked out.

iPhone 7 plus - 256 - matt Black - Verizon unlocked version - week 39 production.

CC

I have the same phone, just picked up today.
iPhone 7 plus - 256 - matte Black - Verizon unlocked version - week 39 production.

When I run that test above, I hear it, but it's faint. I have to be a a dead silent room.

My issue is with the white noise / line noise / coil noise (whatever you want to call it) on recorded videos. That's the annoying thing for me.

hollowplayer

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2011
I've been thinking more about this, especially since we have no official word from Apple. I think this is Tim Cooks Apple. Last quarter Apple profits dropped for the first time in 13 years. When Tim Cook took over for Steve Jobs, there were many reports that his expertise was he was a master at supply chain.

Steve Jobs didn't worry about profits or how much money something was going to make. Steve Jobs wanted Apple to simply make the best products available. The profits followed because of that philosophy. Now, faced with the first drop in profits, what does Tim Cook do? He starts sourcing cheaper components in order to maximize the profits and stop another quarterly drop. These abnormalities in this years iPhones are the end result of that thinking.

Of course, this is all speculation, but it makes a lot of sense to me.
Indeed, all they worry about is Wall Street now. It's not Apple anymore, the philosophy of simplicity is completely gone look at iMessage on iOS 10 so much android style in its just too complicated.

cc999

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
Hmmm. Not sure I believe it. IMO all make slight humming you have to listen to the back. But maybe you got the only one.

What does this java test to

It stresses the CPU running a bunch of benchmark tests. Try it and tell us if you hear any sound.

CC

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
It stresses the CPU running a bunch of benchmark tests. Try it and tell us if you hear any sound.

CC
Is it safe to do?
[doublepost=1475291800][/doublepost]

CC
Just did it. Besides the hissing only when my ear is against the back. I heard nothing loud. Nothing like those videos where phones are chirping from far away

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
So I got my replacement, it's a week 37 but the model number starts with NN, and the hissing is minimal in comparison to my first model :) so I'm content.

Reactions: pat500000

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
It's true. Apple makes crappy devices from time to time, the difference is Apple attempts to hide the fact through slick marketing and ignoring customer concerns. This is public relations 101 people.

On paper iPhone 7 should be great, but it is defective on arrival. NO ONE wants hissing in their videos, NO ONE wants distracting noises when they operate their device. You won't find this kind of issue on devices fives years ago.

Apple has gone cheap and nasty on their device components. I can't even begin to imagine what the quality of an Apple car might be. Scary.

It is a watch and wait situation. iPhone 8 might be my next purchase, it certainly WILL NOT be a series 3 iPhone 6 (aka iPhone 7)

Reactions: apacho

brianjsw01

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2015
Has anybody tried calling anybody who has a land line? Put them on speakerphone then start using apps on your phone while they are talking to you. Curious if they report hearing buzzing on the line. That's what is happening to me.

appleincognito

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2014
I can hear the buzzing/clicking noise when playing back videos recorded in a quiet area. Does not occur when recording videos with the EarPods plugged in and though. So the phones mic must be picking up the sound. I think all of the phones must have it, yet to hear from someone who doesn't.

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Indeed, all they worry about is Wall Street now. It's not Apple anymore, the philosophy of simplicity is completely gone look at iMessage on iOS 10 so much android style in its just too complicated.
I agree with you. I don't like new iMessages either. I don't like new lock screen. I was simple, but easy to use. Now it is way overloaded for me. This is exactly what I didn't like with Android.

hipnotizer

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2011
Hello everyone

I finally got my iPhone 7 plus on Thursday. While I love it the phone seems to be affected by hiss gate. I shoot a lot of video and the hissing can be heard in the recordings. I have included a few videos to get others opinions of how bad it is. Give the videos a listen (with headphones is better) and let me know what you think. I am considering taking the phone back because to me it seems pretty loud. It sounds like a digital kind of white noise....pretty awful to my ears.

Last edited:

Fanboi4life

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
Hello everyone

I finally got my iPhone 7 plus on Thursday. While I love it the phone seems to be affected by hiss gate. I shoot a lot of video and the hissing can be heard in the recordings. I have included a few videos to get others opinions of how bad it is. Give the videos a listen (with headphones is better) and let me know what you think. I am considering taking the phone back because to me it seems pretty loud. It sounds like a digital kind of white noise....pretty awful to my ears.

That's pretty obvious. I can hear crackling and the hissing noise sounds like a loud flat tire.

You definitely have to take that back.

kevroc

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
Hello everyone

I would take it back.

I'm on my 3rd phone and it's much better, so I'm keeping it.

The other thing I haven't seen people talking about is the speaker quality. My latest phone is finally decent in the speaker quality. The first two were very tinny and almost screechy. My latest is a vzw 256, the others were att and tmo, so I'm going to blame that on the new intel chip / mfg process of those lower quality phones at this point. :)

I know the waterproofing will affect the speaker quality a bit and I'm okay with that, but those first two phones were bad. I tried to get a friend of mine to switch to the new iPhone but he just returned it for that problem as well.

0r30

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2010
Texas
Why does it say crypto on one of the tests. That's actually the name of a ransomware virus variant.

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
Interesting. My 7 Plus 256 black does it clearly (week 37). Did A/B video tests with my 6s Plus - very obvious and you can hear it from back of phone too clearly as well.

BUT - my brother has same phone, same week (not sure plant) - and his does NOT do it under same circumstances mine does.

Not sure what to think yet, prob would have never noticed if I didn't come hear. Video noise bothers me, but not sure it's something that I hear in normal use.

mackiee

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2014
I can hear the buzzing/clicking noise when playing back videos recorded in a quiet area. Does not occur when recording videos with the EarPods plugged in and though. So the phones mic must be picking up the sound. I think all of the phones must have it, yet to hear from someone who doesn't.
Did some test with both my iPhone 7 and my Sony Z3+ without any headphones plugged in. Both phones have a lot of white noise when recording in a totally silent environment, but the iPhone 7 is the louder of the two. The mic gain is almost ridiculously high and it is picking up and amplifies sounds that you normally just barely hear. Very unnatural. They should really add a setting (slider) where you can adjust the mic gain yourself from your needs.

However, I cannot hear any hissing, chirps, ticks etc in the recordings, just a lot of white noise...

gaymerraver

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2016
Essex/London
The only time I could hear anything audible up against my ear is when I was downloading all my spotify music + apps lucky, I wouldnt call it a defect either. It's just circuitry...

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
My iphone 7 does not have this. I tested it under some serious performing tasks and nothing. Then I pressed the sleep/wake button.

When my iphone 7 screen is on, and I press the sleep/wake button and i put the phone up to my ear, I hear a noise for like 2 seconds.

Its actually a pretty funny sounding noise. Sounds like a mouse chirp. No way I'm returning it.

jlyanks85

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
I received my iPhone 7 plus a few days ago, finally set up now. Was hoping I wouldn't have to post in this thread but unfortunately I have this same buzzing/hissing now when I put my ear near back of phone. I'm debating now if I should just deal with it until next upgrade or bring it back since I'm in the 14 day return period.

Reactions: imlynxy

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
I received my iPhone 7 plus a few days ago, finally set up now. Was hoping I wouldn't have to post in this thread but unfortunately I have this same buzzing/hissing now when I put my ear near back of phone. I'm debating now if I should just deal with it until next upgrade or bring it back since I'm in the 14 day return period.
It is up to you only. I returned my iphones. 1. Not too much difference between 6s and 7. 2. Not ready to pay 1000 dollars for the device with a flaw.

jlyanks85

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
It is up to you only. I returned my iphones. 1. Not too much difference between 6s and 7. 2. Not ready to pay 1000 dollars for the device with a flaw.

I've decided it is too much to deal with. Even my wife who is a casual iphone user thought the sound was awful and should be returned. So I'm just going to wait until I'm reimbursed, and reorder a jet black iPhone. Hopefully when I receive it sometime in November or December this buzzing noise will be sorted out.

Last edited:
Reactions: apacho and imlynxy

BadMelonFarmer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2010
North Somerset
Man! Being given the run around with Apple Support on this crackeling issue.

1. Genius Bar said it is normal.
2. Senior Advisor on phone support was checking with engineering and has not got back to me in nearly a week of diagnostics and sample videos.
3. Oh hold for nearly an hour today.... another Senior advisor put me hold whilst he made a phone call.... after 20 mins on hold I was put through to the switchboard!
4. 3rd senior advisor now trying to get hold of then second guy.

My previous experience of Apple Support has always been positive.... this is VERY frustrating!

Looks like I will have to go back to a iPhone 5 until they sort it out, not paying this much money to have crackeling sounds in videos!

Edit:-

Over 90 Mins on hold today, returning it... UPS picking up tomorrow.... replacement due in November (grrrrr)

Last edited:
Reactions: apacho and imlynxy

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I don't hear anything. Am I doing it wrong?
[doublepost=1475413823][/doublepost]Does anyone remember the iPhone 3G shaking? If you shook it, it sounded like something was loose inside but it turned out to just be the camera parts. Just because it doesn't happen on the previous model doesn't mean it's defective

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.