Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brianjsw01

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2015
Did some test with both my iPhone 7 and my Sony Z3+ without any headphones plugged in. Both phones have a lot of white noise when recording in a totally silent environment, but the iPhone 7 is the louder of the two. The mic gain is almost ridiculously high and it is picking up and amplifies sounds that you normally just barely hear. Very unnatural. They should really add a setting (slider) where you can adjust the mic gain yourself from your needs.

However, I cannot hear any hissing, chirps, ticks etc in the recordings, just a lot of white noise...

I'll second the comment on the mic gain being ridiculously high. I was typing on my keyboard while recording a meeting in Evernote and it sounds like an elephant jumping up and down every time I touched the keyboard.

Reactions: mackiee

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I've decided it is too much to deal with. Even my wife who is a casual iphone user thought the sound was awful and should be returned. So I'm just going to wait until I'm reimbursed, and reorder a jet black iPhone. Hopefully when I receive it sometime in November or December this buzzing noise will be sorted out.

I'm thinking about doing the same. And if it isn't fixed, then that one gets returned also and I wait for the 2017 iPhone.

Texxy

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2011
So here is my issue/strange problem on my iPhone 7 Plus. I finally got a chance to record it - https://streamable.com/twkj

In many of my videos I noticed at the start, the audio is not in the videos for the first 2-5 seconds and then it comes back in. But then once it does come back in, it drops out again and continues to do this. In the video example I post here, I am turning on and off a song from spotify, you will notice as it plays and the speaker logo comes next to the song when it is playing, the phone won't pick up the audio for a few seconds or when it does pick it up, it is low volume.

Aside from that, the mic I feel is making a sort of WHITE NOISE to every video. When I pause the song you should be able to hear the white noise. My room is completely silent. I would not say it is the hiss-gate noise but just empty fuzzy noise in every video, even when there is silence even when there is silence like at the start of the video and when I pause it.

Where is the microphone on the iPhone 7 plus? Maybe mine was damaged? Anyone else having similar issues?

At0m1cPunk

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2010
Man! Being given the run around with Apple Support on this crackeling issue.

1. Genius Bar said it is normal.
2. Senior Advisor on phone support was checking with engineering and has not got back to me in nearly a week of diagnostics and sample videos.
3. Oh hold for nearly an hour today.... another Senior advisor put me hold whilst he made a phone call.... after 20 mins on hold I was put through to the switchboard!
4. 3rd senior advisor now trying to get hold of then second guy.

My previous experience of Apple Support has always been positive.... this is VERY frustrating!

Looks like I will have to go back to a iPhone 5 until they sort it out, not paying this much money to have crackeling sounds in videos!

Edit:-

Over 90 Mins on hold today, returning it... UPS picking up tomorrow.... replacement due in November (grrrrr)
I don't know how they can say this is normal when my co-worker has a 7 plus that is dead silent but mine makes the noise. Maybe his is not normal and he should ask for a replacement that makes noise. Today I was driving with the god and Apple maps and I lost my connection. This never happened before. My turn by turn directions were way behind where they should be. This simply may be the worst iPhone they ever created. Like I said in previous posts, I think they went cheap to maximize profits and this is the end result.

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
I have the same phone, just picked up today.
iPhone 7 plus - 256 - matte Black - Verizon unlocked version - week 39 production.

When I run that test above, I hear it, but it's faint. I have to be a a dead silent room.

My issue is with the white noise / line noise / coil noise (whatever you want to call it) on recorded videos. That's the annoying thing for me.

How do you tell what week your phone is.

Texxy

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2011
For the heck of it I ran the Google Octane test:

https://developers.google.com/octane/

I sat in a dead silent room and listened intently in the back by the Apple Logo.
It is dead silent. Nothing. This disputes that all phones have this problem.
I guess I lucked out.

iPhone 7 plus - 256 - matt Black - Verizon unlocked version - week 39 production.

CC
I ran geekbench 4 and heard the noises

Reactions: eagleglen

Texxy

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2011
So here is my issue/strange problem on my iPhone 7 Plus. I finally got a chance to record it - https://streamable.com/twkj

In many of my videos I noticed at the start, the audio is not in the videos for the first 2-5 seconds and then it comes back in. But then once it does come back in, it drops out again and continues to do this. In the video example I post here, I am turning on and off a song from spotify, you will notice as it plays and the speaker logo comes next to the song when it is playing, the phone won't pick up the audio for a few seconds or when it does pick it up, it is low volume.

Aside from that, the mic I feel is making a sort of WHITE NOISE to every video. When I pause the song you should be able to hear the white noise. My room is completely silent. I would not say it is the hiss-gate noise but just empty fuzzy noise in every video, even when there is silence even when there is silence like at the start of the video and when I pause it.

Where is the microphone on the iPhone 7 plus? Maybe mine was damaged? Anyone else having similar issues?
No one want to chime in?

mackiee

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2014
No one want to chime in?
Have not heard of anyone else having problem with the audio dropping out like that before.

But regarding the white noise - Yes, there seems to be a problem with an extremely high mic gain when recording in silent rooms/environments. Or it may be just a low quality mic on the back of the phone. I don't know... If it's just an over-exaggerated mic gain I guess it could be fixed/adjusted in a software update.

Texxy

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2011
Have not heard of anyone else having problem with the audio dropping out like that before.

But regarding the white noise - Yes, there seems to be a problem with an extremely high mic gain when recording in silent rooms/environments. Or it may be just a low quality mic on the back of the phone. I don't know... If it's just an over-exaggerated mic gain I guess it could be fixed/adjusted in a software update.
Found another macrumor member with the same problem. So not uncommon I guess. Aside from the high mic gain it pics up the buzzing noise for me on the video so regardless I am replacing this phone. *sighs*

ShadowYYZ

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016
Tulsa Oklahoma
So came back from Apple, they mentioned they'll have to order me a replacement and could take a while. I'm fine by that, maybe itl be a unit with no noise

BadMelonFarmer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2010
North Somerset
So came back from Apple, they mentioned they'll have to order me a replacement and could take a while. I'm fine by that, maybe itl be a unit with no noise

I thought I was fine with it too, until I realised my wife's old iPhone 5 will not even power on anymore :-( waiting on a new battery now.

Until then..... 5 year old Samsung here I come!

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
I think they all have noises. Some worse than others. But if you put your ear to the phone it will still make noise.

kawa636r

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2016
Spain
my apple store received last batch just now, but is now problem fixed or still not?

i don't want to exchange and make a lot of kilometres without having got this issues fixed on production fabrics

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
It's funny to see that the first thing some people here are doing, is to unbox their new phone and try to find the hiss sound ASAP!

I have mine for a week now i don't hear a hiss and i will not try to.
For sure i am not placing my ear on the back of the phone searching for noises!

I'm using the phone as i've been using all my previous phones, if then, in my NORMAL use i pickup any issue i will use the warranty and fix it (or replace it).

Don't go on a hunt for problems!

EXACTLY THIS, im using my phone as normal and if there is anything down the road that comes up do to this issue then i will handle it then but don't just assume that there is a noise that something is wrong. Unless im actually trying to listen to the back to hear the noise, I don't hear it under normal use. I can get some people who use the video camera and hearing the hissing noise in the background, I can see that being an issue all the way but most are wanting to replace just because you read the thread....rocking mine until when and if a problem arises.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
EXACTLY THIS, im using my phone as normal and if there is anything down the road that comes up do to this issue then i will handle it then but don't just assume that there is a noise that something is wrong. Unless im actually trying to listen to the back to hear the noise, I don't hear it under normal use. I can get some people who use the video camera and hearing the hissing noise in the background, I can see that being an issue all the way but most are wanting to replace just because you read the thread....rocking mine until when and if a problem arises.

also keep in ming, half the people replying here don't even have the new iPhone, and the other majority is 6th - 9th graders with nothing better to do. Normal human adults with jobs and life don't have time to find problems or return phones endlessly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.