Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Coil whine is real but only happens with cheap electronics. Example: not all high end video cards have it.

I agree with you in cheap electronics they don't use isolated inductor housings and concrete core or they use cheap materials to prevent just very loud coil whine.
I saw in some cheap asian electronics they sometimes put some epoxy just above capacitors, inductors or transformers to "kill" vibrations.

mikizee

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
My phone hissed and chirped so loudly I could hear it when it was on the couch next to me. Call audio quality is awful. I have a hiss and a whine in all my videos. Have had wifi issues, bluetooth issues.

And yet Apple STILL have not agreed to an express replacement. Have been dealing with a senior advisor for over a week now. All these people getting replacements no problems, and for me it's like drawing blood from a stone.

Oh and my 'sapphire' camera lens has a scratch on it already, noticed it within an hour of having the phone. That whole hour, I was sitting on a leather couch in a carpeted room.

Starting to get pissed now. Gonna call Apple AGAIN tomorrow.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
My phone hissed and chirped so loudly I could hear it when it was on the couch next to me. Call audio quality is awful. I have a hiss and a whine in all my videos. Have had wifi issues, bluetooth issues.

And yet Apple STILL have not agreed to an express replacement. Have been dealing with a senior advisor for over a week now. All these people getting replacements no problems, and for me it's like drawing blood from a stone.

Oh and my 'sapphire' camera lens has a scratch on it already, noticed it within an hour of having the phone. That whole hour, I was sitting on a leather couch in a carpeted room.

That's crazy. Your phone clearly sounds like a really bad defect.

KA0S11

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2016
In the iSheep Pasture
You got a box with the phone and all accessories or just the phone?

This is not an indication of new or refurb. You need to check on the website that you can input the serial number of the device. They can't even fill pre-orders. Do you really think they have refurbs?

FYI.

Apple packages BRAND NEW devices in boxes without accessories. They are for this purpose exactly.
[doublepost=1475247525][/doublepost]
So what's the best way of asking for a replacement? GOing to Apple Store or calling what phone number
I went to the store and got a brand new replacement on the spot. The issue is whether or not your local store has stock of your model and capacity.

ShadowYYZ

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016
Tulsa Oklahoma
This is not an indication of new or refurb. You need to check on the website that you can input the serial number of the device. They can't even fill pre-orders. Do you really think they have refurbs?

FYI.

Apple packages BRAND NEW devices in boxes without accessories. They are for this purpose exactly.
[doublepost=1475247525][/doublepost]
I went to the store and got a brand new replacement on the spot. The issue is whether or not your local store has stock of your model and capacity.

Did you just bring the phone in or the entire box with stuff included

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
The cynic in me says they won't do anything because the press aren't massively interested. It will quietly get fixed and if you moan about it they will replace it on an ad hoc basis.
Your inner cynic is correct.

A long time Apple customer, I know their operating history extremely well... they're the masters at managing their public image. Very powerful and influential, they can easily keep things quiet. It's one of their preferred tactics.

Never underestimate the power of Apple.

At0m1cPunk

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2010
I've been thinking more about this, especially since we have no official word from Apple. I think this is Tim Cooks Apple. Last quarter Apple profits dropped for the first time in 13 years. When Tim Cook took over for Steve Jobs, there were many reports that his expertise was he was a master at supply chain.

Steve Jobs didn't worry about profits or how much money something was going to make. Steve Jobs wanted Apple to simply make the best products available. The profits followed because of that philosophy. Now, faced with the first drop in profits, what does Tim Cook do? He starts sourcing cheaper components in order to maximize the profits and stop another quarterly drop. These abnormalities in this years iPhones are the end result of that thinking.

Of course, this is all speculation, but it makes a lot of sense to me.

idark77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2014
If Apple makes a piece of wood with an Apple printed on it and priced at $1000 for sure we buy it because we are Apple customers... We don't care about hiss gate or yellow tint or anything else... Just buy it to have it !!! :confused:

P.S. I am joking :D... Maybe not... :cool:

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
If Apple makes a piece of wood with an Apple printed on it and priced at $1000 for sure we buy it because we are Apple customers... We don't care about hiss gate or yellow tint or anything else... Just buy it to have it !!! :confused:

P.S. I am joking :D... Maybe not... :cool:

I read "a piece of wood" as a peace of something else. Just sent my last defective noisemaker back to them and this is made me happy. My 2016 iPhone saga is over.

I've been thinking more about this, especially since we have no official word from Apple. I think this is Tim Cooks Apple. Last quarter Apple profits dropped for the first time in 13 years. When Tim Cook took over for Steve Jobs, there were many reports that his expertise was he was a master at supply chain.

Steve Jobs didn't worry about profits or how much money something was going to make. Steve Jobs wanted Apple to simply make the best products available. The profits followed because of that philosophy. Now, faced with the first drop in profits, what does Tim Cook do? He starts sourcing cheaper components in order to maximize the profits and stop another quarterly drop. These abnormalities in this years iPhones are the end result of that thinking.

This definitely is the beginning of the end. I agree with you that Apple said nothing about the problem. I consider it as a disrespect of their customers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Demo Kit and apacho

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013

Did your dog run away too?
[doublepost=1475276255][/doublepost]

At some point these silly "I know what Steve would have done" posts will stop. You don't full stop.

cc999

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
I'm confused here.

So, the louder than usual video recording "hiss" or "white noise" is totally eliminated from your phone? Have you compared it to an older model and is the difference significant?

Again, I'm not talking about the noise from the CPU being overloaded here, I'm talking about the "white noise" in video recordings. You're saying that's TOTALLY eliminated?

I hear NO hiss or white noise on my phone while recording HD video. I did it in my bathroom in dead silence.
Played it back and I did not hear what you are indicating.Why is that so hard to believe?
I have absolutely no issues including the screen. The build quality is perfect. Also no
CPU whining and I realize thats a seperate issue.

CC

appleincognito

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2014
I've tried my own 7, and three other friends 7's. And they all exhibit the background skipping/hissing noise when recording in a silent room. At this point, I don't think we're talking about a small issue, but rather a design flaw that affects everyone, just that most won't notice.

Interestingly there is no background noise if you record with the EarPods plugged in...

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
I've tried my own 7, and three other friends 7's. And they all exhibit the background skipping/hissing noise when recording in a silent room. At this point, I don't think we're talking about a small issue, but rather a design flaw that affects everyone, just that most won't notice.

Interestingly there is no background noise if you record with the EarPods plugged in...
That's strange.
I really think people are confusing white noise with hissing.

cc999

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
For the heck of it I ran the Google Octane test:

https://developers.google.com/octane/

I sat in a dead silent room and listened intently in the back by the Apple Logo.
It is dead silent. Nothing. This disputes that all phones have this problem.
I guess I lucked out.

iPhone 7 plus - 256 - matt Black - Verizon unlocked version - week 39 production.

CC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.