Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SBruv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
My coworker just received his phone yesterday. I told about the problems and he let me test it today.

ZERO noise on the back of the phone when running speed test. I'm going to test further. Will record a video when we have silence.

F2M week 38 Sprint 32GB matte black 7 plus.

This gives me hope. Going to return my phone under 14 day return policy and get a new one when I can find one available to reserve.

Can you test whether it records whine to video, too, please?

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
So after returning my iPhone 7 Plus and waiting a week, I went and got a replacement today. It is exactly the same week as my returned one, and the hiss is the same - it is noticeable every time you unlock the phone.

iPhone 7 Plus
Week 36 (05.09 - 11.09)
Serial: C39

Not sure what to do at the moment.

Return. It. :(

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
i
They don't have to replace my two iP7s. I returned them.
[doublepost=1475149466][/doublepost]

If that was the only issue, I'd agree, but it was clearly audible in HD video recordings.
100% agree and also returned phones back to Apple. I don't want a defective device for 1000 dollars.

xotigu

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2014
I think for people who kept on exchanging their phones, won't it be better if you just wait for a month before exchanging it again, because obviously the initial batch of iPhones have this issue and you might end up the same batch again. Wait for the stocks to normalize and you might as well get a good unit.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
how can this noise be considered as normal on a 1000$ phone? some people are getting annoying..

Again this has been said multiple times. This is NOT normal but if you have to put it to your ear to hear any sort of noise than it's normal. All the phones have a slight hum when next to the ear. Anything other loud noise. Return it.

apacho

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2016
Frankfurt
Again this has been said multiple times. This is NOT normal but if you have to put it to your ear to hear any sort of noise than it's normal. All the phones have a slight hum when next to the ear. Anything other loud noise. Return it.

what's the problem with you? you can hear this on the recorded video!

mackiee

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2014
The problem with this thread is that it actually discusses two issues that probably are somewhat related. The first one (and also the one that the name of this thread hints about) is about the buzzing, hissing, chirps etc that comes from the back of the phone. The other issue is that some people can hear the same or similar sounds when they listen to a HD (4K?) video recording they made with their phone.

It's not always easy to understand when reading peoples post which of these problems they have, the first one, second one or maybe both?

Also, people should stop using the word "normal" in this discussion. If almost every new iPhone 7(+) has this issue it must be considered as normal, whether you like it or not. Sadly it is normal for this phone at this certain time. It may change over time, Apple may redesign and do running changes, no one knows...

Many people also compare against their old iPhones. My personal oppinion is that you can't actually compare against the 6, 6S etc. The only thing the 7 has in common with those older models is the look and the brand name. The 7s has a new internal design, new processor (that is MUCH faster than the previous one), new hardware etc. I think you are comparing apples(!) and pears...

Kasiopea

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2013
My coworker just received his phone yesterday. I told about the problems and he let me test it today.

ZERO noise on the back of the phone when running speed test. I'm going to test further. Will record a video when we have silence.

F2M week 38 Sprint 32GB matte black 7 plus.

This gives me hope. Going to return my phone under 14 day return policy and get a new one when I can find one available to reserve.

We need to know which models are right, perhaps 32Gb

I received yesterday and has the issue.

Week 39 --> mattle black 7plus 128GB

apacho

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2016
Frankfurt
Also, people should stop using the word "normal" in this discussion. If almost every new iPhone 7(+) has this issue it must be considered as normal, whether you like it or not. Sadly it is normal for this phone at this certain time. It may change over time, Apple may redesign and do running changes, no one knows...

Many people also compare against their old iPhones. My personal oppinion is that you can't actually compare against the 6, 6S etc. The only thing the 7 has in common with those older models is the look and the brand name. The 7s has a new internal design, new processor (that is MUCH faster than the previous one), new hardware etc. I think you are comparing apples(!) and pears...

This can't be considered normal at all, many people got the issue fixed by replacing the phone, even the guy who kicked off the wave..

https://512pixels.net/2016/09/reflections-on-hissgate/

Reactions: kuechi

kuechi

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2016
This can't be considered normal at all, many people got the issue fixed by replacing the phone, even the guy who kicked off the wave..

I was with the genius bar yesterday and said it was normal. Huh!!! Really normal!? Compared it to my 6 plus and genius bar said Genius Bar:"what is that your using right now?"
Me: The 7 plus, oh i see
He meant was, I compared it to a diff device. But still I know others don't have the issue with the same device. I don't know why they say it is normal. I would understand a cheap android phone would to that. Even my Htc one m8 doesn't do that. I still gotta chance to replace this phone, 2 more days and. O more 14 day return.

I'm planning to reserve online 1st then ill return my phone once I get there.

mackiee

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2014

You still don't get my point about the definition of "normal".

Let's say everyone in the world would be walking on their hands instead of their feets but there was still a few ones that did use their feets for walking. Then wouldn't walking on the hands be considered the "normal" way of walking?

Reactions: tomjleeds

cinek2

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2014
Good luck guys. I'm done with this topic as it's gone way off topic thanks to fan boys that'll accept anything

apacho

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2016
Frankfurt
You still don't get my point about the definition of "normal".

Let's say everyone in the world would be walking on their hands instead of their feets but there was still a few ones that did use their feets for walking. Then wouldn't walking on the hands be considered the "normal" way of walking?

It's a defect which can be fixed by replacement, that's all!
Even it does not work on the first try for some, but many people succeeded at the end to get a noise free phone.

mackiee

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2014
It's a defect which can be fixed by replacement, that's all!
Even it does not work on the first try for some, but many people succeeded at the end to get a noise free phone.
Ok. Good luck with the exchange. If it bothered me I would return it but not exchange it for a new one until Apple has sorted it out (if they ever will). I'm pretty sure people will report to this thread when/if this is fixed.

Reactions: imlynxy

3square

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2014
Try holding your empty hand close to your ear and see if you still hear the hissing.

I may just be one of the lucky ones with no hissing, but I thought I heard a hiss while holding the phone to my ear during a restore, but then I set the phone down and held my empty hand to my ear and heard the exact same "hiss".

Not the sharpest tool in the shed

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
what's the problem with you? you can hear this on the recorded video!
did you read my post. Im saying that the video that was shown is definietely a problem. you should NOT hear a hiss from far away, but if you ONLY hear it when you put your ear right against the back than that is not an issues... cause thats not normal use.

Reactions: mackiee

Fanboi4life

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
NONE tested and verified.

CC

I'm confused here.

So, the louder than usual video recording "hiss" or "white noise" is totally eliminated from your phone? Have you compared it to an older model and is the difference significant?

Again, I'm not talking about the noise from the CPU being overloaded here, I'm talking about the "white noise" in video recordings. You're saying that's TOTALLY eliminated?

omihek

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
Salt Lake City, UT
Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Interesting. I add my point of view, the tests I've done, and my results, and you attack me. In your opinion, what would "the sharpest tool in the shed" do with a phone that has been known to maybe have a hissing/buzzing sound? Possibly they would test their device when it comes in and then post their results to the thread devoted to that issue?

Maybe next time you post try to add something useful to the thread. I notice you've just been complaining about how you can barely hear yours buzzing when it's right next to your ear and yet you are still returning it. Just curious, did you even try the empty hand test? Or are you just returning your phone because a lot of other people are returning theirs and you don't want to feel left out?

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Man, sometimes I really hate this site. I never would've noticed this issue had I not read about it. My 7 does not buzz or hiss. But it makes the high pitched diginoise / chirping sound when I put my ear to the backside of the phone. Happens regardless of load or idle, screen on or off doesn't matter. I can't hear it when I make calls or when the phone is just sitting inches or a foot away from me in normal situations.

I have a genius bar appointment later today, my return window closes tomorrow. I have a feeling it is a common issue and don't want to go through an exchange carousel. My current phone is flawless otherwise, scored with a flawless bright white uniform pixel perfect screen. I'm OCD when it comes to screens and don't want to get an inferior replacement. So maybe I will just put up with chirping that I never will hear unless I put my ear to the back of the phone.

Reactions: kuechi

kuechi

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2016
Man, sometimes I really hate this site. I never would've noticed this issue had I not read about it. My 7 does not buzz or hiss. But it makes the high pitched diginoise / chirping sound when I put my ear to the backside of the phone. Happens regardless of load or idle, screen on or off doesn't matter. I can't hear it when I make calls or when the phone is just sitting inches or a foot away from me in normal situations.

I have a genius bar appointment later today, my return window closes tomorrow. I have a feeling it is a common issue and don't want to go through an exchange carousel. My current phone is flawless otherwise, scored with a flawless bright white uniform pixel perfect screen. I'm OCD when it comes to screens and don't want to get an inferior replacement. So maybe I will just put up with chirping that I never will hear unless I put my ear to the back of the phone.
I have gone through that yesterday and they said it is the cpu but didn't really gave a good explanation. Still if you want a return they could still do that and im still on my 14 day return period. I know it is really unusual.

I'm an Electrical Engineer.

Prove that.

I would say it's coil whine. My phone was making the noise as well and it's around the cpu die. People are hearing it around the Apple symbol because it's a flat surface and the sound doesn't bounce around in the matte. As far as the image stabilization you might be right, but if the microphone is picking up sounds from within the device then it very well could be picking up the coil whine. Why it's louder when kids are around may be due to the CPU working to normalize the volume. Might I also mention that I've yet to record video with the device.

Not starting a debate, just what I think it might be attributed to. We can debate about what it is all day long, but at the end of the day the phone still had issues and as an electrical engineer you should probably want to get your hands on the affected device before you jump to conclusions about what it definitely is as it could be stabilization for some phones and coil whine in others.

Richie2000

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
West Sussex UK
So I collected a new 7+ today and the hiss/buzz/whine is nowhere near as bad on this one as my first one.

Yes, I can hear some noise under load with my ear pressed against the back of the phone but on my first unit I could hear it when it was sat on the desk at arms length. I do have white noise on video recording, which is to the same level as my first phone, but as I stated previously this did not bother me. For one it is not so loud as to cause me an issue and I don't use video recording that much anyway. I am happy that I replaced mine and have no doubt there was a genuine issue with my original phone. Happy to live with the minor noise from this new unit.

Reactions: mackiee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.