Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drgoldilocks

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2016
got mine last night... made sounds like a tiny hard drive was r/w in there... called tech support. Apple replaced in store (thanks to manager) and second one hisses too!!! This is BS.

I wouldn't care but you can hear it in vids

Yea, I can sympathize. It's annoying when you pay for an expensive phone but there are so many imperfections. I honestly think it is possible that the microphone is too sensitive. Maybe they'll adjust it in the next IOS upgrade

BadMelonFarmer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2010
North Somerset
OK, well thanks to the istocknow.com site I managed to jump on an iPhone 7 plus Black 256GB today, much quicker than waiting on the replacement from Apple due November!

AND... ?

New one is a LOT quieter... not had a chance to record a video but I can hardly hear the sound even with my ear pushed up against the back, So I am confident it should not be picked up on the mic when recording a video.... happy days!!!

mackiee

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2014
Just a thought. Has anyone that is experience the very high white noise tried to record a video through any third party app like ProCam XL or similar?

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
Just a thought. Has anyone that is experience the very high white noise tried to record a video through any third party app like ProCam XL or similar?
Someone said if you record with another app and pick the front or other microphone that you hear no noise. The back microphone is very sensitive. It shouldn't hear me sliding my phone on the screen while recording

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
OK, well thanks to the istocknow.com site I managed to jump on an iPhone 7 plus Black 256GB today, much quicker than waiting on the replacement from Apple due November!

AND... ?

New one is a LOT quieter... not had a chance to record a video but I can hardly hear the sound even with my ear pushed up against the back, So I am confident it should not be picked up on the mic when recording a video.... happy days!!!

That's similar to what I posted above. Two phones from launch day were noisy. The one I bought yesterday is quiet enough that I will probably keep it. I need to do some more testing.

Reactions: BadMelonFarmer

mackiee

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2014
Someone said if you record with another app and pick the front or other microphone that you hear no noise. The back microphone is very sensitive. It shouldn't hear me sliding my phone on the screen while recording
Yes what if using a third party app AND the back mic? Maybe the mic gain is controlled by the video rec app.

Chorx

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2011
My 6S has a feint hissing noise to it when recording video. I didn't know about it until I saw this thread. *shrug*

sanmarcos

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2007
Returned my 7S Plus, terrible buzzing noise, they did not have it in stock to give me a replacement so I got a refund.

Will wait it a few weeks to see if they fix the issue.

Reactions: imlynxy

hipnotizer

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2011
I had apple send me a replacement...the new phone is like 10 times worse!!! It seems to be much hotter as well. I am now at a loss for words...haha. I will have to contact the rep again and see what to do.

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
I just returned my 7 Plus 256gb matte black today. Got it yesterday and didn't notice much noise when firing it up. But I had a terrible 1-2 second screech/pop/whine when recording videos. Then it would stop. I recorded the video in the closet so no other sound could be picked up. After the initial issue, the rest of the video was just white noise. My 6s Plus didn't have the issue at the beginning of the recordings, just the 7 Plus. I'm going to wait to see if this gets fixed. But this is unacceptable for now on an $1100 phone. And I'm not playing Russian Roulette with exchanges.

Texxy

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2011
I just returned my 7 Plus 256gb matte black today. Got it yesterday and didn't notice much noise when firing it up. But I had a terrible 1-2 second screech/pop/whine when recording videos. Then it would stop. I recorded the video in the closet so no other sound could be picked up. After the initial issue, the rest of the video was just white noise. My 6s Plus didn't have the issue at the beginning of the recordings, just the 7 Plus. I'm going to wait to see if this gets fixed. But this is unacceptable for now on an $1100 phone. And I'm not playing Russian Roulette with exchanges.
I feel like I am about to start playing Russian Roulette with Exchanges. Waiting for my first exchange from Verizon. My biggest issue is that my videos I record have a TERRIBLY loud white noise in the background in every video. Unacceptable! Anyone get a good iphone 7 + yet that doesn't have this problem?

Balders

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2008
UK
I've got the issue too - a bad hissing/crackling noise when recording video and also in Live Photos. Much worse when the phone is doing things in the background like app updates.

I've mailed the Apple rep who sorted out my previous issues to see what they say but this one has to go back unfortunately...

Gzalito

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2015
I had apple send me a replacement...the new phone is like 10 times worse!!! It seems to be much hotter as well. I am now at a loss for words...haha. I will have to contact the rep again and see what to do.
Production week?

eggersj

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2008
So Applecare reserved me another unit and I took my REPLACEMENT back to apple yesterday, and they heard the sound, and also on the NEW one they gave me. So it was 3 phones.

The apple tech staff all heard it, and then heard it on their personal phones as well (they said "underload"). The senior tech he was concerned about it as well on his phone LOL.

Then the store manager came over and introduced herself and said they are aware of it, and she's very sorry they could do nothing about it, and would give me free Applecare.

So I took the newest phone home and restored it from iCloud and now the noise is barely noticeable, let alone during video (which I had an example from the second phone and it blew the tech crew's mind how you could hear it).

I'm pretty sure it is getting brighter on Apple's radar. Hopefully they will issue a firmware update or something...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.