Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
I hear the hissing when recording video and playing it back. Also the screen is yellow. So a refund is in order I guess. May wait it out a few until maybe sim free versions release

Reactions: imlynxy

At0m1cPunk

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2010
No weird sounds with my JB 7+. Put it up to my ear and it's silent. Mine is on AT&T, wonder if maybe it's only on phones with a certain carrier?
I am starting to think the carrier, because of the different chipsets makes a difference. I have Verizon and the Qualcomm chipset and hear the noise. My coworker has an AT&T with the Intel chipset and it is dead quiet. I am not saying its the chipsets that are causing this, but maybe they are interfering in some way.

Balders

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2008
UK
Just returned a 2nd one - it was worse than the first. Going to wait it out a few weeks to see if there's any reports of a fix. Mine was hissing and buzzing like crazy on videos when the phone was doing background work and under load e.g downloading apps or updates.

Reactions: imlynxy

ShadowYYZ

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016
Tulsa Oklahoma
I am starting to think the carrier, because of the different chipsets makes a difference. I have Verizon and the Qualcomm chipset and hear the noise. My coworker has an AT&T with the Intel chipset and it is dead quiet. I am not saying its the chipsets that are causing this, but maybe they are interfering in some way.

False.. I have ATT have the noise phone calls and video recording

Reactions: Ferrd

indg

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
4.7" iphone 7 128gb jet black on t-mobile (pre-ordered from apple store), delivered last week. Factory FK1, Week 38.

problem #1: makes crackling/clicking noises on back of phone, which the rear mic can pick up on video.
problem #2: mic records hissing/white noise when there is a sudden loud noise in a quiet room.

some videos of the issue:
https://goo.gl/photos/KuP8djJoi6oq9qqQA

I'm going to call apple and ask for an in-store exchange.

mydogeatsbeats

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
oh yeah
4.7" iphone 7 128gb jet black on t-mobile (pre-ordered from apple store), delivered last week. Factory FK1, Week 38.

problem #1: makes crackling/clicking noises on back of phone, which the rear mic can pick up on video.
problem #2: mic records hissing/white noise when there is a sudden loud noise in a quiet room.

some videos of the issue:
https://goo.gl/photos/KuP8djJoi6oq9qqQA

I'm going to call apple and ask for an in-store exchange.

oh yeah had this clicking too, my phone that I got today is hissing like crazy but the loud clicking is gone it is clicking way less noisy now.

Texxy

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2011
Sooo Verizon sent me my replacement device. I still have not had a chance to set it up and make sure it works better than my original, but in the packaging they did not include a return label or anything...am I not supposed to return the old device?

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
I hear the hissing when recording video and playing it back. Also the screen is yellow. So a refund is in order I guess. May wait it out a few until maybe sim free versions release
I'm also waiting for a SIM free model. Last year it was Oct. 8.
[doublepost=1475793530][/doublepost]
Just returned a 2nd one - it was worse than the first. Going to wait it out a few weeks to see if there's any reports of a fix. Mine was hissing and buzzing like crazy on videos when the phone was doing background work and under load e.g downloading apps or updates.
Same story here. I decided to wait for a SIM free model.

tk123

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
London, UK
So, today was the first day I could very noticeably hear the hissing & clicking noises during a phone call, and so could the person on the other end of the line. For a phone, it's not doing so well. For everything else I'm still in love with my iPhone 7 Plus, really wouldn't want to part with it.

Is the general consensus to wait it out a few months for a software fix/trade it in at the Apple Store for a revised model?

At0m1cPunk

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2010
My 7 plus (Verizon) replacement arrived today. I still have the noise on the back although it may be a little less than the original. In video recordings, the same static can be heard but only slightly. I am going to ask the supervisor with Apple that I have been dealing with what is going on. I don't want to keep replacing these because it is a pain to set the new one up over and over again, but then again if/when a fix is done, I don't want a refurbished phone because I purchased a new one. Hopefully I can hold on to this one and then exchange for a new one when the problem is resolved.

Reactions: Texxy

Sergio127

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2014
Replacement device week 38.. eh. It's not noisy like my old one but... that sound is there during recording brush I'm wait it off
You have a JB + Right? how did the process for the replacement works in store? i think i'll have to get one since mine is getting too hot and the hissing is too loud in calls

ShadowYYZ

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016
Tulsa Oklahoma
You have a JB + Right? how did the process for the replacement works in store? i think i'll have to get one since mine is getting too hot and the hissing is too loud in calls

My first one never got hot which was very nice. This one isn't hot neither. It has a slight weird "deformation " on the edges where the machine paints or whatever some discussed it here lol.

But answering your question, make an appointment record a clip or 2. And show the guy and let him wear headphones. My guy went to go get them from the back n will verify it. Just bring the phone if they have it they'll swap. Otherwise, they'll order one and call you in to exchange. It's a brand new one even though it comes in a white box.

Reactions: Sergio127

mydogeatsbeats

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
I now did an offical complaint, i said that I want to have confirmed that this is a problem that falls under warranty, this is how my iphone sounds:

If it will not be confirmed I Will go back to 6s.

It is senseless now i got 4 iphone and all phones had this "defect" more or less

ShadowYYZ

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016
Tulsa Oklahoma
I now did an offical complaint, i said that I want to have confirmed that this is a problem that falls under warranty, this is how my iphone sounds:

If it will not be confirmed I Will go back to 6s.

It is senseless now i got 4 iphone and all phones had this "defect" more or less

Wow that's loud, my first one didn't have that noise at all. It has a slight white noise... same with the one I got now..

Your sounds subtle but very noticeable

eggersj

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2008
Did you have the noise before? If so, what changed?

Sure did... It was confirmed at apple store, but I took phone anyways as it was 2nd replacement... I backed it up, and it had static, but once it was done, I played video and ran geekbench 4, and NOTHING. I shot 4K last night and NOTHING.

Its perfect now... No problems. I don;t know what happened... It's just quiet now! :)
[doublepost=1475846697][/doublepost]
My launch iPhone 7 does not have this hissing sound nor does it have a yellow screen, its lovely and bright and crisp. Usually I get some sort of defect so Im well happy with mine.

I think all 7's are good per apple store manager. That was one of her options was to go to a 7, but once you go plus, you can't go back :)

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
My first one never got hot which was very nice. This one isn't hot neither. It has a slight weird "deformation " on the edges where the machine paints or whatever some discussed it here lol.

But answering your question, make an appointment record a clip or 2. And show the guy and let him wear headphones. My guy went to go get them from the back n will verify it. Just bring the phone if they have it they'll swap. Otherwise, they'll order one and call you in to exchange. It's a brand new one even though it comes in a white box.
How do you know it is brand new?

macfacts

macrumors 603
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
When people exchange their iphone7+, does the paper work say the reason for the exchange?

When I exchanged MacBook pro retina because of unresponsive keyboard, the paper work the Genius gave me said the reason was for "customer satisfaction."

If the Geniuses don't say the real problem on the paper work, how will Apple know this hissing sound is a problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.