Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Saeloe

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2016
I got my iPhone 7 Plus 256 Gold on Monday 3.10.2016, it's made on week 39 and it has the hissing, buzzing and static noice and sounds near main cameras on the back of the phone, not so loud that I would notice or hear those even when in a dead quiet room, but during video recording the rear mic catches the hissing sounds and it's quite annoying (my 6S Plus is completely silent, even during video recording inside quiet room, I've tested both phones extensively side-by-side now for 5 days)

The sounds are there all the time, if I listen the back of the phone next to my ear, I can hear the static noise even when in Airplane mode or iPhone not doing anything / idling / laying on the table face-down. I remember the old Nokia phones in the 90's had same kind of static noise during phone calls only (radio signal interference to the earpiece), but I've never heard this kind of static noise on a mobile device before.

There was also quite bad yellow tint on the screen at first, and I compared two phones, my year old 6S and 7 Plus. The 6S's screen is pure white and clear, a bit cold colors and 7 Plus was like semi-nightmode-yellow.. But next day it changed, the display went from semi-nightmode-yellow to "a-hint-of-yellow-tint" (is it glue or burn-in or what), but now when both phones are max brightness and next to each other, there is only a minor yellowish tint on the 7 Plus. The quality of the screen is excellent on the 7 Plus, colors are very vibrant and when not compared to 6S the screen looks natural.

Only problem is the annoying static noise in the video recording. I can hear it faintly when speaking with someone on the phone too, but it's so quiet that it doesn't matter (in normal situation it's not noticeable, only in very quiet room).

ATX-motherboards some times have the "coil whine" and it doesn't change even after months of usage, I'm quite sure there is no fix on these iPhones either, except replacing the phone. :(

ShadowYYZ

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016
Tulsa Oklahoma
So.. I don't have coil noise but a small eeee sound.. recording video. This was the same with both phones I had both 38 including the replacement from apple yesterday

Joshiwo

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2016
I did an experiment. I can hear it during heavy load when putting my ear close to the back of the phone. Not a big deal to me, as I can't hear it from the front. I can make calls just fine.

I tried recording a video, as I've read and seen videos where the hiss is quite noticeable. So was the case with my 7+. So I started thinking. Can I still hear the sound at the back of the phone while recording? A started recording and put my ear to the back of my phone. Nothing. No hissing, no sound at all. I stopped recording and watched the video. It was clearly there. Are these two "hisses" two different issues?

GeorgeVes

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2016
Guys is this the sound level of the hiss you're getting in your videos ? The video was filmed in a completely silent room.
Added finger snaps for reference. I'm just curious as to whether my phone is behaving like all the rest, or if it's worse and I should try to return it.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
Guys is this the sound level of the hiss you're getting in your videos ? The video was filmed in a completely silent room.
Added finger snaps for reference. I'm just curious as to whether my phone is behaving like all the rest, or if it's worse and I should try to return it.
I only hear white noise. Your snaps came out super loud. The mic is just super sensitive. I think yours is fine.

indg

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007

same issue as mine that i posted couple days ago:
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...w-iphone-7-plus.1997077/page-58#post-23677544

the rear camera mic (or the circuitry to the mic) is defective. record the same "snap" test with your earpods plugged in and you won't hear the hiss after the snap. i tested my old iphone 6, iphone 5, and iphone 4, and none of them exhibit this issue, nor do they pick up crackling/clicking noises as my 7 does. it's clearly a bad build, so i plan on exchanging mine within the return period.

emix2001

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2015
Italy
same issue as mine that i posted couple days ago:
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...w-iphone-7-plus.1997077/page-58#post-23677544

the rear camera mic (or the circuitry to the mic) is defective. record the same "snap" test with your earpods plugged in and you won't hear the hiss after the snap. i tested my old iphone 6, iphone 5, and iphone 4, and none of them exhibit this issue, nor do they pick up crackling/clicking noises as my 7 does. it's clearly a bad build, so i plan on exchanging mine within the return period.

Hi. Same here. Just received a week 39 7+ here in Italy. Quite annoying. Going to call tomorrow for return (bought from AS online). I am a bit sad for having spent a week's earnings for a defective unit again. New year, same old story. Very, very defective piece of electronics. Again and again.

crawltochina

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2015
Never ever is this microphone defective. Mine does the exact same sound level of hissing/ white noise too and I think it is just too sensitive. This should be able to be corrected via software update.

Balders

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2008
UK
This was my second 7+ showing the issue - 1st one was just as bad. Video taken in a silent room. For some reason, I got a very loud hissing, which quitened after a second followed by the chirping noise from the coil whine effect.

Got a refund and will wait it out.
[doublepost=1476010139][/doublepost]
This was my second 7+ showing the issue - 1st one was just as bad. Video taken in a silent room. For some reason, I got a very loud hissing, which quitened after a second followed by the chirping noise from the coil whine effect.

Oh, I also sent a link to this discussion onto the exec rep and she said she's fed it through to the quality team... Here's hoping there's a fix soon.

Balders

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2008
UK
Can't correct the whine coming from processor step up inductor via software

I was wondering if a change in the clocking of the CPU might help with that (either voltage or frequency)... Might be a possible way to workaround it from apple in a firmware update. Sort of like some of the reports of GPUs with coil whine where overclocking can reduce it.

As long as it doesn't get picked up on videos, I'd be fine but the two 7+ I had were terrible...

crawltochina

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2015
Those are different issues! The coil whine sounds totally different than the "white noise hiss". In one of the last videos you can hear the buzzing which is from the processor. My phone does not catch this noise on video. But in the video above which I commented on earlier you can hear the white noise hiss which every iPhone 7 has. Mine too. And this is not processor noise but a very sensitive microphone.

emix2001

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2015
Italy
It is not the mic but the circuit that pics the whine electronically. It is very common in audio technology

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Intel had this coil whine in their Core 2 Duo chips probably 10 years ago now and I had to sit out that round of laptops. They sorted it in future generations and I expect that the A10 Fusion chip is just one to skip.

Reactions: emix2001

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Did anybody get week 40 iPhone 7+?
We saw here that people started to get their week 39 phones last week on wed-thu. Today is Sunday [ :) ] of week 40, still zero reports of week 40 phones.
It can mean just 2 things : 1. Apple made enough phones and just plays artificial supply shortage game. 2. Apple tries to fix the problems and skipped couple days /a week of production.
It is just a theory, maybe I'm incorrect here.

ShadowYYZ

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016
Tulsa Oklahoma

Same noise as my first replacement and secdond

dewced

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2016
Belgium
Did anybody get week 40 iPhone 7+?
We saw here that people started to get their week 39 phones last week on wed-thu. Today is Sunday [ :) ] of week 40, still zero reports of week 40 phones.
It can mean just 2 things : 1. Apple made enough phones and just plays artificial supply shortage game. 2. Apple tries to fix the problems and skipped couple days /a week of production.
It is just a theory, maybe I'm incorrect here.

Hi! I have a Week: 40 (03.10 - 09.10) iPhone 7+ JB128gb (http://sndeep.info/en), and received my iPhone last tuesday! No issues over here, very happy with it :)! Looks very nice that they produced and shipped my iPhone in 1 day o_O.. They prepared it for shipping the friday before, so when my iPhone didn't even exist:p

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
I only hear white noise. Your snaps came out super loud. The mic is just super sensitive. I think yours is fine.

I tend to agree...the mic is very sensitive probably enhancing the white noise but I do not hear the hissing/coil noise on your video. IMO I would keep that device. I have seen some that sound awful and is easily picked up in the recordings. There is always a chance you return it for one that is worse off or has other additional problems. That is the fun of the Apple return lottery!!

Reactions: michael31986

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois

[doublepost=1476010139][/doublepost]

Oh, I also sent a link to this discussion onto the exec rep and she said she's fed it through to the quality team... Here's hoping there's a fix soon.

This is exactly what mine sounded like. It was a 7 Plus 256gb Matte Grey. I returned it and think I'm sitting this one out.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
I have the same problem. If I watch YouTube sound can suddenly fade out the I hear strange clicking sounds in the speaker as if it's broken then sound might fade back up again. I hope it's a software issue as I really don't want to be without my phone while waiting for a replacement. Since we don't have genius bars or apple stores in Norway.

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Hi! I have a Week: 40 (03.10 - 09.10) iPhone 7+ JB128gb (http://sndeep.info/en), and received my iPhone last tuesday! No issues over here, very happy with it :)! Looks very nice that they produced and shipped my iPhone in 1 day o_O.. They prepared it for shipping the friday before, so when my iPhone didn't even exist:p

Congrads! this is the first mention about week 40 phone here on the forum.

Reactions: dewced

Waughy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
Australia
A few people in Australia have got week 40 phones and things were looking good with no reports of the noise, but one owner now claims there week 40 128Gb plus has it.
I get a little bit of static on video in a quiet room from my week 36 256gb plus. If I run 3Dmark slingshot I get static and whine, which I can hear with the phone about 6 inches from my ear, no need to put it against my ear. That's with an Apple leather case fitted too. I'm keeping an eye on things and will look at a replacement soon. It might not be a problem in everyday use, but the more the public comes to know about it, I'm sure it'll have an effect on resale when it's time to upgrade.

cc999

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
Ok has anyone received an iphone 7+ without the hissing noise and the white noise in their recorded videos?!

Yes me Verizon version 256 gb matt black. I hear nothing.

CC
[doublepost=1476065391][/doublepost]
A1661 (AT&T) from BestBuy. No issues with mine -- no hissing, no high freq squealing, no lines on screen, no BT issues. So far, it's great.

Thats the Verizon model.

CC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.