Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bbqthis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2015
Bay Area, CA
Guys is this the sound level of the hiss you're getting in your videos ? The video was filmed in a completely silent room.
Added finger snaps for reference. I'm just curious as to whether my phone is behaving like all the rest, or if it's worse and I should try to return it.
Both 7 Pluses I've had had the same issue. 6S was silent in video recording. I understand there will always be a little white noise, but the coil whine is not good. Desperate for them to sort it out.

mikizee

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
Well, I got my replacement and its worse than my original handset. I called Apple and asked to speak to Customer Relations and they aren't going to replace it again as the replacement will likely have the same fault. Advised me to send it back and just wait for the engineering team to sort it out. :/

mydogeatsbeats

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
Well, I got my replacement and its worse than my original handset. I called Apple and asked to speak to Customer Relations and they aren't going to replace it again as the replacement will likely have the same fault. Advised me to send it back and just wait for the engineering team to sort it out. :/

I now had 5 iphone 7 and all of them did it less or more worse. Already I am using my 6s again

xotigu

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2014
would like to clarify (based on the title of the thread)
so only the 7 Plus has this hissing issues?

Brett.F

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2012
Manhattan, NY
I'm on my 3rd iPhone now. First was week 37 iphone 7 Plus matte black with the buzzing sound in video recording. Second was week 38 with the same issue. Third was another week 38, but this time there wasn't buzzing. Seems to be luck of the draw. Good luck.

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
Has anyone had any help from support? I am on chat with them right now and I'm going to see what they say, recorded a video and heard it and that's the only thing that's bothering me. I don't care about hearing it when I press my ear up to it.

kawa636r

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2016
Spain
still nothing from apple side, i have got my device retired by themself and actually i'm waiting for some replies by them, because i'm without my loved iphone 7.
Anyway, i've changed 4 phones and only the first one was not having got this hissing trouble

KennethS

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
UK
still nothing from apple side, i have got my device retired by themself and actually i'm waiting for some replies by them, because i'm without my loved iphone 7.
Anyway, i've changed 4 phones and only the first one was not having got this hissing trouble

Out of curiosity, what was wrong with the first one?

schmidti91

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2016
Eisenach, Germany
My regular iPhone 7 has it pretty strong. Even if I do Skype, the other one can hear a whistling/squeaking sound.

I'm also waiting for something from Apple. I won't return it if I can be quite sure to end up with phone with the same problem.

kawa636r

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2016
Spain
Out of curiosity, what was wrong with the first one?

i was having got a lot of memory crash inside privacy diagnostic data screen and asked for a diagnostic by telephone-
the apple first level guy wasn't able to ran diagnostic and asked me to go into the shop because surely was and hardware issue.
The day after the replacement i had the same issue and called again, but this time the 2nd level apple guy told me that the diagnostic was impossible at the moment on all worldwide iphone 7 with ios 10.0.1 (because apple internal troubles, so the first one wasn't defective)

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
Wow. Chatted with support and they told me there wasn't anything I could do and for me to wait on their engineers for further announcements. Wtf. Also the quotes that the are working on it all day and night and they are preparing for proper resolutions for this one

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I'm on my 3rd iPhone now. First was week 37 iphone 7 Plus matte black with the buzzing sound in video recording. Second was week 38 with the same issue. Third was another week 38, but this time there wasn't buzzing. Seems to be luck of the draw. Good luck.

Weird. I have a week 37 matte black 7 Plus with no issues.

jtwlbz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2014
Ive just returned the phone and going to wait and see. Do that guys and relax. Its wasting time and energy

schmidti91

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2016
Eisenach, Germany
Very interesting reaction from the German-speaking Apple Support. I called and talked with a guy who said he was a senior advisor.

He said the noise is completely normal because of the new and stronger processor. I explained that the people who I call on Skype can even hear the noise and said that I doubt that Apple's official position is that the users have to accept that. He then said yes, it is. He said it's only a small phone camera with the mic close to the processor and not a professional camera.

I only called to inform them about the issue to already let them know that I want to change the phone as soon as they fixed this issue but he said I couldn't change it because the next phone will have exactly the same noise and that they're not working on it because it's not possible to avoid it.

It really didn't seem like I was talking to someone from Apple. Usually if something is wrong they are like "That is certainly not the user experience Apple is going for" what I find resonable as it's a $1000 device.

Reactions: apacho

Brett.F

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2012
Manhattan, NY
Has anyone had any help from support? I am on chat with them right now and I'm going to see what they say, recorded a video and heard it and that's the only thing that's bothering me. I don't care about hearing it when I press my ear up to it.
I spoke with chat. They had me send them a clip of the video so they could hear the buzzing. They opened a case with senior engineers. A few days later, they told me to bring it to the apple store to swap.

jtwlbz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2014
Very interesting reaction from the German-speaking Apple Support. I called and talked with a guy who said he was a senior advisor.

He said the noise is completely normal because of the new and stronger processor. I explained that the people who I call on Skype can even hear the noise and said that I doubt that Apple's official position is that the users have to accept that. He then said yes, it is. He said it's only a small phone camera with the mic close to the processor and not a professional camera.

I only called to inform them about the issue to already let them know that I want to change the phone as soon as they fixed this issue but he said I couldn't change it because the next phone will have exactly the same noise and that they're not working on it because it's not possible to avoid it.

It really didn't seem like I was talking to someone from Apple. Usually if something is wrong they are like "That is certainly not the user experience Apple is going for" what I find resonable as it's a $1000 device.

He dont know ****. This noise can be fixed in hw tho it requires bom change which i doubt apple does it tho

jtwlbz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2014
I dont believe peeps reporting no issue since i heard more than 10 phones and i hear all noise. Some is quieter some is louder. My returned 7+ was the quietest one i ever heard but i still hear it. People reporting no issue may be not trying hard

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.