Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamminj606

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2009
Just got my 3rd 7+.
First one had the noise. it showed in videos etc
2nd was louder than first but I could not get it to screech during video recording. Was upset that it worse than the first.
3rd i can barely hear the noise at all. Have to have my ear on the back of the phone to hear it and I'm completely ok with that.
All are ATT and all were week 37. They were all replaced at an Apple Store.
I'm keeping this one and I'm finally at peace with it. Good luck to everyone with this problem. It's very real.

mikizee

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
Set up my replacement phone today. After restoring a backup on my first 7 plus handset, when it was redownloading all the apps, it would kill my home internet connection every 2 mins and I'd have to power cycle the modem. It took HOURS to complete all the downloads.

Fortunately, my replacement handset didn't do this at all! So something definitely must have been dodgy with the wifi radio on my first handset.

Sadly though, my replacement handset has a slightly yellower display (by maybe 2%), but more importantly its dimmer at the same brightness setting. Not by much, but enough to be noticeable. It also takes longer to unlock with touch ID. My first handset was lightning fast. The new one takes twice as long. Still faster than my 6, but definitely slower the my first handset.

These issues aren't bad enough to swap out again, but being the picky motherf*cker that I am, they're annoying.

S3ISOR

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2016
Just dropping in my 2 cents (I posted this on the Australian Whirlpool forums like some others here). I originally had a launch day 7+. It had the static/hiss which was being picked up in normal video, and was clearly audible and got louder during any sort of load on the CPU. I contacted Applecare, who went through the process of requesting two videos showing the audio problem, escalated it to a 'senior engineer', who then advised to replace the phone. I returned for a refund instead.
Last week I bought a new 7+ on a whim and got a Week 40. It definitely has no hiss. I've recorded video, run Octane and 3D Mark Sling Shot extreme (twice), downloaded all my apps, etc, and I can't hear any sounds out of the back of the phone, even in a silent room.
It sucks that there is such a broad mix of iPhones out there with varying degrees of quality, and this whole process is a lottery, but I wanted to assure people that non-hissing iPhones 7+'s do exist.
Good luck with your phones. Juts remember, your paying top dollar for these iPhones. If you don't like it, return it and try again.

jianrong

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2015
Just dropping in my 2 cents (I posted this on the Australian Whirlpool forums like some others here). I original had a launch day 7+. It had the static/hiss which was being picked up in normal video, and was clearly audible and got louder during any sort of load on the CPU. I contacted Applecare, who went through the process of requesting two videos showing the audio problem, escalated it to a 'senior engineer', who then advised to replace the phone. I returned for a refund instead.
Last week I bought a new 7+ on a whim and got a Week 40. It definitely has no hiss. I've recorded video, run Octane and 3D Mark Sling Shot extreme (twice), downloaded all my apps, etc, and I can't hear any sounds out of the back of the phone, even in a silent room.
It sucks that there is such a broad mix of iPhones out there with varying degrees of quality, and this whole process is a lottery, but I wanted to assure people that non-hissing iPhones 7+'s do exist.
Good luck with your phones. Juts remember, your paying top dollar for these iPhones. If you don't like it, return it and try again.

Mine week 40 too.

mackiee

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2014
Ok, my matte black 7 Plus week 38 has the static "eeeee" in video recordings which I believed was just a microphone too sensitive. Today I received a gold 7 Plus from week 40 and the static high white noise in video recordings is not there!!! I am honestly surprised. I believed every 7 Plus would do that. The other videos in this thread showed that. But this one has just normal white noise, no static hissing etc.

What version of iOS was the new one shipped with?

GeorgeVes

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2016
Guys will Apple replace the iPhone if 2 weeks have passed from the delivery date? My 2 weeks expire tomorrow, so should I do it today or will I be able to request a replacement a few days from now?

KennethS

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
UK
Guys will Apple replace the iPhone if 2 weeks have passed from the delivery date? My 2 weeks expire tomorrow, so should I do it today or will I be able to request a replacement a few days from now?
I was in the same position recently with a MB 128GB 7 Plus. I decided to contact Apple support and not take a chance. Had a phone call with a very nice rep and she suggested the easiest for me would be to accept an advance replacement which she put into the system for me, as she said I was still in my return window so a replacement was easier to authorise while I was still in the 14-day return window. I am waiting for the replacement to arrive and am hopeful the new phone will not have the white noise problem when recording video. If she had been unable to setup the advance replacement (whereby you receive the replacement prior to sending back your current phone) I was going to go back to the store and return my phone and then keep my eye out for stock to buy one again.

I would contact Apple support before the return window closes. I believe Apple can give an extension but I would want any extension approved and in writing before my return window ended.

Last edited:

jtwlbz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2014
Just dropping in my 2 cents (I posted this on the Australian Whirlpool forums like some others here). I originally had a launch day 7+. It had the static/hiss which was being picked up in normal video, and was clearly audible and got louder during any sort of load on the CPU. I contacted Applecare, who went through the process of requesting two videos showing the audio problem, escalated it to a 'senior engineer', who then advised to replace the phone. I returned for a refund instead.

Does yours make creaky noise when you slightly twist your phone?

spooned12000rpm

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2009
York, UK
Well after 24 hours with the my new handset, I'd definitely say it has two noises. First is the faint 'eeee' whine which does seem linked to load and sounds almost exactly like the noise my rMBP makes. You can only hear it with your ear to the back of the phone (and it seems no louder than the whine from my launch day 7).

The second noise is slightly more irritating, and is a constant ticking/clicking noise, more of a static buzz. This can be heard a little bit further away. I don't recall the first handset doing this.

Both noises stop when the screen is off, and fire up as soon as you press any button.

The screen on this second phone is much better so as people are still getting noisy handsets I'm tempted to stick with this unless anything more serious crops up.

itscomplicated

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2016
I have a Sprint Iphone 7 Plus (Week: 39 (26.09 - 02.10) Silver) and i do hear the hissing / static sound , when the CPU is under load and i place the back of the iphone(near the apple logo) with my ear . I do not hear this sound if i don't place the iphone next to my ear.
The best way to see if your iphone 7 has this issue , is to download/install antutu benchmark or the 3dmark ( slingshot) both available from app store , run the app , and place the back of iphone next to your ear.

The other concerning issue which i noticed is that when i am recording video in silent environment , the hissing sound is also captured by the mic and is a part of the audio stream. I had the benchmark application running prior to starting of the recording.

I have seen the first issue on another Iphone 7 plus unit also , and unfortunately did not test that unit for recording issue.

Last edited:

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
Hi guys, new to this thread and just skimmed though many of the previous pages.

I come here because my phone has issue too. I received it yesterday and it did it from the moment it turned on. I contacted Apple support and they made me do diagnostics and etc, and have me with a senior advisor and sent my data to engineering. They are waiting on a response to tell me what to do.
I am very unhappy with how loud it is, I mean you can hear it over my spinning external HDD and it is louder than a fizzy drink. I have very good hearing and can hear it from about 3 feet away.

I spent very good money on this device, and I want one that is free of defects. I do not go looking for problems with my products and just want them to work... trust me going back and forth with support is the last thing that I want to add to my daily routine as has been this launch.

I will attach a video that I sent to support here soon.

jtwlbz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2014

I come here because my phone has issue too. I received it yesterday and it did it from the moment it turned on. I contacted Apple support and they made me do diagnostics and etc, and have me with a senior advisor and sent my data to engineering. They are waiting on a response to tell me what to do.
I am very unhappy with how loud it is, I mean you can hear it over my spinning external HDD and it is louder than a fizzy drink. I have very good hearing and can hear it from about 3 feet away.

I spent very good money on this device, and I want one that is free of defects. I do not go looking for problems with my products and just want them to work... trust me going back and forth with support is the last thing that I want to add to my daily routine as has been this launch.

I would just return the phone and forget it. This is hw issue which will take a long time to fix.

Reactions: sunking101

LKN

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
Yorkshire

Please attach the video. Well i think All the pluses do it to a varying degree and some more or less than others.

If you can hear from 3ft away then id say its definately not good and needs exchanging.

If it only can be heard when putting your ear to the back which isnt something you would do on a day to day basis then definately swap.

Again the hissing that can be heard in videos. As someone mentioned its heard in a quiet room for e.g in a silent room in the middle of the night you record a videos theres a static sound. But when you record a video during the day of say some wildlife or at a theme park then it sounds normal no hissing.

Then again how many would record a video in quiet room. This isnt a scenario for me as i dont record videos when ims at alone ina silent room i tend to record my videos when im out and about.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
Please attach the video. Well i think All the pluses do it to a varying degree and some more or less than others.

If you can hear from 3ft away then id say its definately not good and needs exchanging.

If it only can be heard when putting your ear to the back which isnt something you would do on a day to day basis then definately swap.

Again the hissing that can be heard in videos. As someone mentioned its heard in a quiet room for e.g in a silent room in the middle of the night you record a videos theres a static sound. But when you record a video during the day of say some wildlife or at a theme park then it sounds normal no hissing.

Then again how many would record a video in quiet room. This isnt a scenario for me as i dont record videos when ims at alone ina silent room i tend to record my videos when im out and about.
I have yet to see a video recorded of an iPhone 7 making noise few feet away.

indg

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
i went to the apple store and swapped my tmobile iphone7 for a verizon one. same build week 38, different factory. popped in my tmobile sim, activated over LTE, and restored from backup. there was a bit of sizzling (hissing) sounds coming from the back during restore process while cpu and wifi were under heavy load (i think tmobile phone did the same). once everything cooled down, i checked for the whine/static/clicking noises.

bad news: i can still hear the high pitch mosquito + clicking sounds from the back of the phone. rear mic also records the same hiss sound after sudden noise in quiet room.

good news: i now have a more "global" iphone. lol

i added some more videos:
https://goo.gl/photos/KuP8djJoi6oq9qqQA

one thing to note:
a lot of the static/clicking noise coming from the back appears to be caused by the wifi radio. i didn't test this in the tmobile phone, but would assume it's the same.

for now i'm going to hold on to this phone, even with the mic audio issues. i'll just have to remember not to record any video in a quiet room (or turn on airplane mode to minimize radio interference noise).

Reactions: Bhs1975

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL

I would just return the phone and forget it. This is hw issue which will take a long time to fix.
The video I recorded of the noise.

jlyanks85

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
I returned mine last week with the same issues. I'm really hoping this issue is sorted out in the next couple months. Would hate to skip this generation since I buy a new phone every year, but this issue, if it continues I might have to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.