Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
Not sure why you feel the need to be the person that you are, but many of these issues are not trivial. People don't want high pitched coil whine in the videos they take of their kids. I'm sorry you have nothing going on in your life that's worth preserving, but don't tell people they're stupid for wanting to have problems resolved.
i appreciate your feelings

i have kids too, i worry more about preserving the memory than perfect sound. Fifty years from now I won't care about the audio quality, I'll care about the image....

like i said i appreciate your feelings, may your cycle of exchanges be merry

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Actually, no, usually the frontside is though. And it can be heard just fine sitting next to it with it on table. Always love the naysayers, yet I apple themselves say it is known problem.

I think it's just that those of us who don't have the problem (I don't have any of the reported issues with my 7 Plus) have a hard time imagining the problem. I'm not saying that you're imagining it, just that we can't imagine it.

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
I think it's just that those of us who don't have the problem (I don't have any of the reported issues with my 7 Plus) have a hard time imagining the problem. I'm not saying that you're imagining it, just that we can't imagine it.
Well watch one of the many videos in the thread. Imagination not needed.

Saeloe

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2016
AppleCare Senior Advisor told me today that it's not worth returning the phone back during the "14 day period" because allmost all the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus are affected by the hissing problem and it would be highly possible to just get another hissing iPhone back. He also told me that engineers are working on the problem and that I should just wait, they have no updates on the issue, yet.

Reactions: spooned12000rpm

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
no but my iphone 7 makes buzzing sounds that you can hear if you put your phone next to you.

Actually, no, usually the frontside is though. And it can be heard just fine sitting next to it with it on table. Always love the naysayers, yet I apple themselves say it is known problem.

then that would be an issue. I've got 2 iphone 7 plus 256 gigs sitting on my desk. one is a flat and one a jet. I can't hear either phone while it is sitting on the table or with my ear to the front side. I can hear a slight ticking on the jet black with my ear against the apple logo on the back...the flat black has no noise at all. the jet black is going back, not because of the noise but because the screen is yellow compared to the flat black that i'm keeping.

Duncanator

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2016
I contacted Apple this morning regarding mine. They lady told me it is a known issue and engineering is working on finding out what is causing it. She said she has had several call in and engineering told them they are unsure if it is a hardware or software issue but hoping to have an answer in the next couple of weeks. She said to keep my phone for now and once they know what is going on we will continue forward with what to do. She said right now there is no guarantee of getting a replacement that is free from this issue.

Reactions: imlynxy

mydogeatsbeats

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
IMG_0067.JPG

I had 5 iPhone 7 all of Them did it. my 6s does it also but not nearly as loud as the 7 , what annoys me the most is the build quality of the camera ring. my phones Show light "scratches" or uneven finishes.

Last edited:

Duncanator

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2016
I was contacted by Customer Relations. He said he is going to do what he can to make this right for me. He also said after I get a phone in my hands that is free of any defect he is going to hook me up with something really good from the Apple Store. At least I am getting exceptional customer service through this.

Reactions: DianaMR and Conan86

emix2001

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2015
Italy
I contacted Apple this morning regarding mine. They lady told me it is a known issue and engineering is working on finding out what is causing it. She said she has had several call in and engineering told them they are unsure if it is a hardware or software issue but hoping to have an answer in the next couple of weeks. She said to keep my phone for now and once they know what is going on we will continue forward with what to do. She said right now there is no guarantee of getting a replacement that is free from this issue.

So they'll be sure that you can't swap for a new device but a refurbished.

Reactions: Duncanator

Duncanator

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2016
So they'll be sure that you can't swap for a new device but a refurbished.

The customer relations guy I talked to today said he would make 100% sure I would get a brand new phone. He also said they are not 100% if it is caused by hardware or software issue. I guess time will tell.

Bow Commander

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
I thought I could deal with the noise, but I can't. I facetime with family in Cambodia twice a day and hear it whenever conversation is quiet, and then on every video recording. I'm starting an Apple support chat right now.

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
I thought I could deal with the noise, but I can't. I facetime with family in Cambodia twice a day and hear it whenever conversation is quiet, and then on every video recording. I'm starting an Apple support chat right now.

They are going to tell you the same thing they have told all of us, the engineers are working on it and wait for an official statement.

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
For sure it is a hissing software. :) Bravo!!! I think Apple tries all the words and phrases to hold you from returning the product.

Last edited:

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
Ahhh gotcha Tee. You think it's not worth the luck of the draw to see if phone #2 does it or not?

I'm not sure man. Some people are getting lucky with getting a replacement device and it being better or being worse. I'm waiting mine out since it's not horrible. Hopefully everyone can slam Apple with this issue and force them to getting us a solution. Worth a try.

Bow Commander

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
I'm not sure man. Some people are getting lucky with getting a replacement device and it being better or being worse. I'm waiting mine out since it's not horrible. Hopefully everyone can slam Apple with this issue and force them to getting us a solution. Worth a try.
Sounds good. I'll still do this chat with Apple to at least pile on with the other complaints. If it comes to sending the phone in I'll wait.

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
Sounds good. I'll still do this chat with Apple to at least pile on with the other complaints. If it comes to sending the phone in I'll wait.
Yeah. I want everyone to slam apples chat with this issue if it's really one. Mine isn't horrible and I can barely hear it I just shouldn't have to deal with an issue if I paid 1k for this phone.

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
I do not have the hiss on my iPhone 7. Some of what I have heard in these forums seems like the mic is too sensitive. Could that be the case?

I think the hiss and the white noise are completely separate issues. Sorry if this was already posted. Thread too long to go over page by page.

Duncanator

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2016
I do not have the hiss on my iPhone 7. Some of what I have heard in these forums seems like the mic is too sensitive. Could that be the case?

I think the hiss and the white noise are completely separate issues. Sorry if this was already posted. Thread too long to go over page by page.

I notice the hiss when my phone does anything requiring it to actually perform a task. Whether that be a video, gaming, facebook, etc. The video picks it up because the hiss is close enough to the mic.

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta

I think it's an issue with the Plus and not the regular 7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.