Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markol

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
iPhone is protected with international warranty isn't it? You can still have it exchanged IF your country is already selling it.

I believe they can only exchange it for you if your home country has the EXACT same model as the one you purchased. Some countries have different model numbers due to different supported bands.

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
So my co-worker just got his and we are in the office right now and are checking for the noise, a good way to hear it is run a Speedtest. There was an audible difference between the sound of download and upload speeds. That makes me think it has something to do with the radio. Just something for thought.

Conan86

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
Singapore
So my co-worker just got his and we are in the office right now and are checking for the noise, a good way to hear it is run a Speedtest. There was an audible difference between the sound of download and upload speeds. That makes me think it has something to do with the radio. Just something for thought.

Try turning on Airplane Mode and do an offline test such as benchmark or recording in 4K

Conan86

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
Singapore
Yeah we just did that and you heard the noise just the same. Not really louder.

So it's probably louder when you download cause the processor had to work harder while uploading is softer since it's less intensive hah. Shouldn't be related to radio chip.

Just wondering though, which production week is your colleague's iPhone produced?

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
So it's probably louder when you download cause the processor had to work harder while uploading is softer since it's less intensive hah. Shouldn't be related to radio chip.

Just wondering though, which production week is your colleague's iPhone produced?

Mine is a week 37.

xotigu

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2014
iPhone is protected with international warranty isn't it? You can still have it exchanged IF your country is already selling it.
Not for our country. Currently phones from Singapore and US are the ones supported as of now. They're just apple authorized shops that's why they're strict with warranty.

jtwlbz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2014
Ive heard so many now and some of them are really loud that you dont have to contact your ear to the phone. These ones you definately should return because it will go into the mic when you record video.

xotigu

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2014
Ive heard so many now and some of them are really loud that you dont have to contact your ear to the phone. These ones you definately should return because it will go into the mic when you record video.
Mine is a quiet hiss but very noticeable when recording video. I can live with it though. The phone is sooo good that I'm not even bothered by the hiss.

redRAYZA

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007
Picked up a week 39 7+ from T-Mobile and I hear NOTHING coming from the back of my phone. Large downloads, graphic-heavy games, nor video recording causes audible coil whine for me. There is faint white-noise that can be heard if I record video in a quiet room, then play it back at full volume. This one's a keeper.

Reactions: TechnicallyTee

Duncanator

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2016
My customer relations rep called me today. He got in contact with several technicians at a few Apple Stores. They told him that this is an "emerging" issue but said it is not abnormal. They told him that the more powerful these phones get, the more processing they do which in turn gives the hissing sound. They used the example of a MacBook or Mac that is processing and has the similar sound. Ultimately they said I can come in and they would diagnose the issue. Odds are it would require me to send my phone in to a repair depot instead of an exchange. I am going to go by and see what happens.

Waughy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
Australia
With this thread open, I hold the back of my phone to my ear and scroll the page up and down. Noise is there. That can't be too taxing on the CPU. Had a few phone calls and no one has complained. I'll do a few more vids and see if they catch anything. Might try my luck for an exchange. 3DMark really highlights the noises.

Reactions: michael31986

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
I went to the Apple Store to get my replacement phone for the hissing issue. The replacement happily doesn't mak noise.
They are sending me a leather case for the hassle of exchanging and driving around.
In all, both my carrier and Apple have done everything they could to remedy this and make sure that I was 100% satisfied.

Reactions: DianaMR

Duncanator

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2016
I went to the Apple Store to get my replacement phone for the hissing issue. The replacement happily doesn't mak noise.
They are sending me a leather case for the hassle of exchanging and driving around.
In all, both my carrier and Apple have done everything they could to remedy this and make sure that I was 100% satisfied.

Lucky. From what I have been told by reps is that it is kind of a luck of the draw on if you get one that lacks the issue. Glad you were able to get one that is good to go!

Reactions: tveryk

Duncanator

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2016
I was curious and I checked my wife's 128 GB Regular 7 and it as well has the hissing sound. I am stumped as to the issue. So that means we have a 7 and 7+ with this sound. I'm beginning to think it may be a normal abnormality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.