Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Raunien

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2011
Been reading a couple of the last pages of the thread. Is the current recommendation to wait or to exchange for a > week 40 phone?

indg

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
i mentioned some of these same issues in my previous posts, but here's a summary:

internal noise:
1) constant high pitched (mosquito-like) sound. not unusual for many electronic devices, but still annoying to hear in a phone.
2) sizzling/hissing sound. intensity varies with cpu/gpu load.
3) clicking/tapping/static sounds. caused by wifi/lte/bt radios, in conjunction with cpu.

these sounds emanate about an inch below the camera (left of the apple logo), where the A10 cpu and logic board sit.

separate from the above issues is the overly-sensitive mics in iphone 7/7+, which may or may not be fixable with an iOS update. in addition to the rear mic picking up the internal noises, when there's a sudden noise like a finger snap in an otherwise quiet room, a hiss sound can be heard right after the noise for half a second. i suspect this may be related to noise-cancelling or wind-noise reduction and the mic being too sensitive. this issues appears to be unique to iphone 7/7+ models as it does not occur in iphone 6/6+ (based on my tests).

noise cancelling algorithm and mic sensitivity may be tunable in software. but i don't see how internal noises caused by chips on the logic board can be fixed by software.

PS. I'm way over the age of 25, but i can still hear up to 19kHz according to this test:
http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/can-you-hear-this-hearing-test/

so even if your iphone7 is making high-pitched internal noise, some people may just not hear it at all. the noise from my iphone7 sounds somewhere between 16-18kHz to me.

Last edited:

Raunien

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2011
Any chance that Apple could have implemented a different manufacture process resulting in those people receiving week 40 or later phones not having the noise based on reports here?

Or is that too hopeful?

Duncanator

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2016
I went and exchanged my phone. Ended up with another week 38 and another phone that has the noise. Made a 2 hour drive just for the scenery apparently. Pretty upset at Apple. Tempted to return the phone and go to android.

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
My launch day 7+ had the noise which I returned and reordered another. The second a week 40 did not have this noise. It did however have a creaking body so I returned that one as well. Currently using a 6S+ but there are some later builds that do not exhibit the noise. I saw a few posts in other threads of phones from week 41 which they claimed are hiss/static free. I guess time will tell if anything has changed.

jtwlbz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2014
I know what apple gonna do about thr issue like always. Im sure they are going to silently fix this issue with design change and will not announce this since its not funtional problem and a lot of peeps will never notice it. When customer want replacement for the issue they will just replace it with newer model. Of course this will be sometime next year.

kiki lala

Suspended
Oct 15, 2016
you guy really getting confused. here the test. I been tested 5 iPhone 7.that 2 plus and 3 regular 7 iPhone. both 7+ create white noise with loud microphone gain. in other hands all 3 iPhone 7 regular not create white noise, but in other hands quiet with creating hizz or whine coil noise like biizzzzzz and zizzzz stop and continue -believe create from the CPU. so please everyone here make sure the different of noise and version model of iPhone. that all do create noise. only matter which version and which noise.

fitgirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2013
I just got off the phone with an Apple Technician. He said ALL of the iPhones have what they call a "load" bearing issue. He said the degree of the sound can be absent to our ears or noticeable to our ears. He said as of right now the engineering department has told him it is not a hardware issue but it is a software issue. They are currently working on a fix for iOS 10.1 and they have it in beta right now.
I'm confused I have iOS 10.2 did I miss something?

kiki lala

Suspended
Oct 15, 2016
do you believe the update will fix white noise and hizz and bizz sound from cpu....outside had phone 4,5,6,7 and plus iPhone together with the same update. how could one update fix all? in my position now waiting with future new implement microphone replacement or the reason frequency conflict setting to adjust to fix for repair. this was apple always do in the past of their product especially MacBook pro. but they always delay till 3 years with upgrade option. your call by then.
[doublepost=1476593069][/doublepost]if you like the design keep it, like I did. if you don't, return it. this product defected anyway. that apple very smart with the design that is the reason.

kiki lala

Suspended
Oct 15, 2016
iphone 7+ bad noise combination
https://www.youtube.com/feed/history

when they get replacement said no more noise
https://vimeo.com/186666942

iphone 7 when it good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHnL8ldRByY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oBhlABHhq0

when it bad after a week or when you get it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWtesjbJLdY&app=desktop

from all my review of all those phones. Iphone 7 regular is the quiet for all but I do see worst each week by week of the CPU sound of my friend especially heavy load because of nature sound they were create by CPU. believe or not sound is there even on mine.

jonstatt1

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2015
I'm confused I have iOS 10.2 did I miss something?

Err. No you don't. You have 10.0.2 !!
[doublepost=1476600701][/doublepost]This thread is still confused. Even if you have a phone that doesn't have coil whine there is STILL hiss on the video more than previous iPhones.

I just installed the latest beta and I think the hiss is reduced but it's not gone. I don't have another phone to compare against but will try later

Reactions: DianaMR

spooned12000rpm

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2009
York, UK
Any chance that Apple could have implemented a different manufacture process resulting in those people receiving week 40 or later phones not having the noise based on reports here?

Or is that too hopeful?
Week 40 didn't fix it. Not enough week 41's in the wild to determine yet.

snake7

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2016
Hello guys.

I received my new iPhone 7 Plus last week (it's week 39) and I have white noise in my videos.

I uploaded a video to show you:

I don't know what to think if it is normal or not. I tested with some other phones (all Android) and it looks like with all of them I have the same problem. For this reason I guess that this is maybe usual in all the mobile phones due to the microphone gain.

I'm confused because I didn't know about this issue until now. But I'm not sure that it will be fixed with another phone since all the phones I've tested have the same issue.

Do you guys have this issue too? Could you please tell me if I should do something with this? I wouldn't like to wait for a month for a new replacement to get another phone that is equal or even worse.

PS: About the processor hissing sound. I've tested with Antutu and I can only hear the processor noise when I put my ear close to the Apple logo (not audible with a normal use). And I say processor noise, not creak or screech or whatever you want to say it. So, I guess I'm fine with this.

Edit: I just wanted to add that when you listen to the video in the iPhone itself the white noise is louder than in the computer. I say this because listening to this video in the computer looks like it's not a big problem but listening to it in the iPhone make you worry a little bit more :S

Edit 2: Added another video

Last edited:

mikizee

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
Hello guys.

I received my new iPhone 7 Plus last week (it's week 39) and I have white noise in my videos.

I uploaded a video to show you:

I don't know what to think if it is normal or not. I tested with some other phones (all Android) and it looks like with all of them I have the same problem. For this reason I guess that this is maybe usual in all the mobile phones due to the microphone gain.

I'm confused because I didn't know about this issue until now. But I'm not sure that it will be fixed with another phone since all the phones I've tested have the same issue.

Do you guys have this issue too? Could you please tell me if I should do something with this? I wouldn't like to wait for a month for a new replacement to get another phone that is equal or even worse.

PS: About the processor hissing sound. I've tested with Antutu and I can only hear the processor noise when I put my ear close to the Apple logo (not audible with a normal use). And I say processor noise, not creak or screech or whatever you want to say it. So, I guess I'm fine with this.

Edit: I just wanted to add that when you listen to the video in the iPhone itself the white noise is louder than in the computer. I say this because listening to this video in the computer looks like it's not a big problem but listening to it in the iPhone make you worry a little bit more :S

That's WAY better than the white noise on my phone. I'd be happy with that.

snake7

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2016
That's WAY better than the white noise on my phone. I'd be happy with that.

I guess I will have to maintain this one. It is just I would like to have your opinions about this issue because it's driving me nuts :S

I recorded another video with me speaking (sorry for my bad English, I'm not native) just to show that it's something that will be always there, but that you will notice or not depending on the background noise of the place you are.

kiki lala

Suspended
Oct 15, 2016
this is the white noise of plus we talking about. in the background you still heard high microphone gain like eeeeee. all plus have this. but, other way iphone 7 i test doesn't have this but hizz and bizz. please everyone sent video here then people will know what you talking about. don't said i had no noise. everyone had noise.
[doublepost=1476616200][/doublepost]snake just enjoy your phone. normal or not normal you exhange end up the same or worst. you can look back my video post than you will know. outside iphone had 3 problem. screen yelllow is what my 2 replacement got, white noise or bizz and hizz cpu, and phone case had crack sound when you press it that also happened to one of my friend iphone 7 regular. if you think your phone is acceptable and you like iphone, kept it.

snake7

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2016
this is the white noise of plus we talking about. in the background you still heard high microphone gain like eeeeee. all plus have this. but, other way iphone 7 i test doesn't have this but hizz and bizz. please everyone sent video here then people will know what you talking about. don't said i had no noise. everyone had noise.
[doublepost=1476616200][/doublepost]snake just enjoy your phone. normal or not normal you exhange end up the same or worst. you can look back my video post than you will know. outside iphone had 3 problem. screen yelllow is what my 2 replacement got, white noise or bizz and hizz cpu, and phone case had crack sound when you press it that also happened to one of my friend iphone 7 regular. if you think your phone is acceptable and you like iphone, kept it.

Well, I don't know exactly how to do a test to see if my screen is more yellow than it should be, but I didn't notice anything weird until now (I received it last week).

And about the hissing cpu, as I said I can only hear some processor noise when I run a benchmark and I listen close to the back logo. I didn't notice any rare thing like the crack sound when you press the case.

So, following your words I guess I should be calm with my phone.

kiki lala

Suspended
Oct 15, 2016
snake not to worry about back side hizz and bizz. it is CPU. people complaint about it mostly regular iPhone 7 because they heard that on video recording. but iphone 7 plus only if you had combination noise as white noise and that. if you had combination noise i will suggested you return because is bad. that white noise sound is normal. screen yellow hard to compare until you have 2 phone side by side to compare like i found out. i think you in the good hand my friend. enjoy your phone.

snake7

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2016
snake not to worry about back side hizz and bizz. it is CPU. people complaint about it mostly regular iPhone 7 because they heard that on video recording. but iphone 7 plus only if you had combination noise as white noise and that. if you had combination noise i will suggested you return because is bad. that white noise sound is normal. screen yellow hard to compare until you have 2 phone side by side to compare like i found out. i think you in the good hand my friend. enjoy your phone.

In that case, just thanks for your opinion. It's a real relief :)

I hope everyone is in the same opinion than you.

kiki lala

Suspended
Oct 15, 2016
Lol. Same as mine. Is ok. If anyone here is dead silent recording please upload video. I'm still finding one but all unfortunately do make noise I tested

snake7

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2016
Hey can you guys give me an opinion on my Iphone 7 plus white noise? Is this normal?

It looks like mine so according to the previous messages it should be fine I guess.

I believe that what you hear when you clap your fingers it's due to the noise cancelling system. Nothing to worry about in my opinion. Mine does it too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.