Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superevangelist123

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Well...got my 7 plus replacement today. The hissing is still present, but much quieter than before.

The whole process was so simple. He asked if we could record a quick video to see if he could hear the noise. He listened to 3 seconds of the video and said "oh yeah, you can hear it."

The Genius Bar rep said it was a know issue and that my phone would be sent straight to an engineer to determine the cause of the hissing. He also said that currently he is still replacing some units with same weeks of production units. So if you go to get a replacement it could be still present in the new phone.

Reactions: Duncanator

Bhs1975

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2012
I'm glad you mentioned this. I was going to buy one, but I won't as this type of noise really Bothers me. Any idea of the WRT1900ACS Makes the same noise? Feel free to PM me as I don't want to derail this thread.

Just like my 7 plus it has to be under load and you have to have you ear right up to it to hear the whine.

Reactions: michael31986

Bhs1975

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2012
I got my old iPhone 7+ 256gb matte black replaced, and sold it off. Bought a new iPhone 7+ 128gb matte black (week 41), and it has no hiss at all so far. FINALLY!!

Did you sell at a loss? Why not just have it swapped out?

shengli

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2016
Did you sell at a loss? Why not just have it swapped out?
yup sold it at a loss. I already had it replaced once and was sick of having to go back to the store again. I think the newer batches should be fine.. Would recommend waiting out for 1 month more at least, before you go back to Apple to get a replacement.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
All have a slight noise if you literally put your ear next to it in a quiet room. Just some people aren't as OCD to listen to it that closely. If it's making noise loud enough to hear otherwise than return it.

Reactions: ABC5S

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
All have a slight noise if you literally put your ear next to it in a quiet room. Just some people aren't as OCD to listen to it that closely. If it's making noise loud enough to hear otherwise than return it.
All of them do not have a noise. Have you checked them all? I know the answer and it is no because you have not checked mine.

When mine was restoring and setting up I listened for a noise because of these threads and there was NO noise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gathomblipoob

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
All of them do not have a noise. Have you checked them all? I know the answer and it is no because you have not checked mine.

When mine was restoring and setting up I listened for a noise because of these threads and their was NO noise.
It's not a hiss but you can hear processor more than likely. Again people are confusing things.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
I have just posted in another thread. Just returned from the store with a week 41 device and I have zero hissing/clicking upon big loads/restoring. Finally, a device that is free from this stupid hissing. My previous 7 pluses have all had the hissing but were week 37/38's.

mydogeatsbeats

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
I have just posted in another thread. Just returned from the store with a week 41 device and I have zero hissing/clicking upon big loads/restoring. Finally, a device that is free from this stupid hissing. My previous 7 pluses have all had the hissing but were week 37/38's.

Interesting, everyone in this forum with a week 41 device reports that they have no hissing. My status is that Im using my 6s (after 4 devices returned) till its safe to buy

my main issue is not the sound itself but that it could be worth less for selling (if apple does not recognize it as a defect)

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
Is hissing the same as processor noises. Cause almost all my devices do that. Any electronic device has some noise.

KennethS

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
UK
I am not bothered by the hiss sounds heard near the Apple logo when I put the device to my ear. What I find unacceptable is the hum/white noise in video recordings. I am scheduled to receive a replacement on 19/10. Hopefully the replacement will not suffer from the issue.

ipodtouch1stgen

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2014
I just bought a week 41 week iPhone 7 (non-plus) 128 gb and it is still hissing. This problem is not going away. I've been following this thread and have tested multiple iOS devices from multiple generation. They all have this problem.

The iPhone 7, however, is particularly loud (could be due to the more powerful processor). And the mic is picking it up.

n20nine

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2008
I've got a hiss too, but not very loud but definitely noticeable when I record a video.... Week 39 i7+
[doublepost=1476550193][/doublepost]
I just bought a week 41 week iPhone 7 (non-plus) 128 gb and it is still hissing. This problem is not going away. I've been following this thread and have tested multiple iOS devices from multiple generation. They all have this problem.

The iPhone 7, however, is particularly loud (could be due to the more powerful processor). And the mic is picking it up.

Guess then no use returning for a new iPhone....

Duncanator

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2016
I just got off the phone with an Apple Technician. He said ALL of the iPhones have what they call a "load" bearing issue. He said the degree of the sound can be absent to our ears or noticeable to our ears. He said as of right now the engineering department has told him it is not a hardware issue but it is a software issue. They are currently working on a fix for iOS 10.1 and they have it in beta right now.

brianjsw01

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2015
I just got off the phone with an Apple Technician. He said ALL of the iPhones have what they call a "load" bearing issue. He said the degree of the sound can be absent to our ears or noticeable to our ears. He said as of right now the engineering department has told him it is not a hardware issue but it is a software issue. They are currently working on a fix for iOS 10.1 and they have it in beta right now.

I'd love to know which beta they are using. I have the latest developer beta and I still am getting complaint on FaceTime calls about all the static electronic noises being heard from the other side of the call.

Duncanator

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2016
I'd love to know which beta they are using. I have the latest developer beta and I still am getting complaint on FaceTime calls about all the static electronic noises being heard from the other side of the call.

I have no clue. I'm just going by what I was told. I do not think they have a fix with the beta but the engineers are working on one for the release of 10.1 iOS. They could be giving me the run-around. I hope not though.

Reactions: brianjsw01

spooned12000rpm

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2009
York, UK
I'd still say there's two issues here (well at least my WK40 7 has two seemingly different noises):

Issue 1) High-pitched 'Hiss'/whine/'EEEEE" noise - Mainly heard with your ear to the back of the phone whilst performing intensive tasks in a quite environment. This seems to be the most common noise amongst both the 7 and 7 Plus. I've had this on both my launch day 7 and the replacement which is a WK40.

Issue 2) Clicking/Static/Buzzing noise - I noticed this noise as soon as I pulled the replacement phone out of the box and switched it on for the first time and held it to my ear. The noise ranges from a series of quick clicks to a slower constant click, click, click like the pop you hear when you get a static shock touching a car door or and old crackly phone line. It's a dry sort of noise (if a noise can be dry, but it makes sense in my head) crisp and clear rather than the more analogue high pitched noises above that seeming change note or frequency. I'd say this is a louder noise than the whine and likely the culprit for the majority of the video noise problems people are experiencing.

Now I'll be honest and say I didn't listen enough to my first handset but I'd say this wasn't as noticeable just the whine. This issue seems less common or is getting mixed up with the first issue, but listening closely enough you can hear both noises simultaneously and I'd say they're not in sync so likely caused by separate issues, adding to the lottery of finding a silent handset.

Whether this is soft or hardware is debatable. I'd say it's a hardware noise but provoked by software, IE processor throttling producing 'coil whine'.

DaIfoneboss

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2011
Haven't had a iPhone since the 6 Plus, been on Android, moving from a 6P to the 7 Plus. I got a Week 40 model , Verizon 128 GB 7 Plus and hear absolutely no hissing sound at all from the back of the device/all over while recording a 4K video in a very quiet room/area. I am quite familiar w/the sound of coil whine,etc in electronics, but I don't hear nada from my 7 Plus's body with my ear hunting all over the phone for some sound in a very quiet room. I did have to return my 1st 7 Plus due to dead pixel/dust under the display and I didn't test that one but this current one I have makes no sounds.

I tested my 6P with the 7 Plus in very quiet condition(both recording in 4K) and they both give off actually a similar white noise audio in very quiet conditions but the 6P actually had some weird like line interference actually coming in which I actually never heard until I tested vs the 7 Plus, the 7 Plus sounded better when it is quiet(The mic pickup).

I do feel like there is a little more more like white noise pickup from the audio though then usual in videos when you record, not drastic but slight..weird because I don't hear the actual hissing at all though from the phone,maybe it is just me.

jtwlbz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2014

Im shocked that they told you it can be fixed in software. Totally nonsense. Its a hareware thing

Reactions: Duncanator
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.