Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bow Commander

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
I think it's an issue with the Plus and not the regular 7.
Mine's a regular 7.

I'm going to check my pop up settings. I eventually had to leave work before the chat started. I'm wondering if it got blocked at work. I had to use it two years ago and didn't have to wait. So, good chance it's on my end.

Texxy

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2011
I was contacted by Customer Relations. He said he is going to do what he can to make this right for me. He also said after I get a phone in my hands that is free of any defect he is going to hook me up with something really good from the Apple Store. At least I am getting exceptional customer service through this.
Anyway for me to reach customer relations by calling? Or can you PM me your contact or can he contact me?

mikizee

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
It took over 10 requests to phone staff and chat staff before I was finally put through to customer relations. The final time I asked, I got quite a bit testy about it and said I was sick of asking, no I don't want to explain problem for the 30th time, no I don't want to book a genius appointment, JUST PUT ME THROUGH TO CUSTOMER RELATIONS. It was then that they finally said 'ok we will put you through right now'.

I try to be nice and patient on the phone but sometimes you gotta be a bit cranky to get what you want.

Reactions: Duncanator

Duncanator

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2016
Anyway for me to reach customer relations by calling? Or can you PM me your contact or can he contact me?

If you call they can connect you to them. I lost my ca but surprisingly the guy contacted me from that department. Said he had got my contact info from the customer service rep.

Bow Commander

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
Ok I got through on chat. I tell the first rep what the issue is, they say "this is something we've been given information about, and requires a senior representative, just a moment while we transfer the chat to them"...... Then I wait for one to pick up the chat, in the meantime the ability to type in their window goes away. I did this twice now. As soon as they transfer the chat, I can no longer type anything in, it's disabled. It's pissing me off. I'll try from another pc tonight.

Texxy

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2011
If you call they can connect you to them. I lost my ca but surprisingly the guy contacted me from that department. Said he had got my contact info from the customer service rep.
Ya been having trouble getting someone in Customer Relations which is why I asked if there is a direct way. Ill keep trying.

Duncanator

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2016
Ya been having trouble getting someone in Customer Relations which is why I asked if there is a direct way. Ill keep trying.

I do have my customer relations reps direct contact I'm just not sure if he would appreciate me handing it out. Shoot me a PM.

superevangelist123

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
I have been following this thread for a couple of weeks without posting. I can confirm that my black 7 Plus has the hissing issue. I can hear it in videos, others can hear it on the phone, (not just landlines) and I believe it also interferes with FaceTime. My phone also gets hot while preforming the most mundane tasks.

I have an appointment with the Genius Bar tomorrow. It may be pointless to replace at this time but I'm going to give it a try!

Duncanator

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2016
I have been following this thread for a couple of weeks without posting. I can confirm that my black 7 Plus has the hissing issue. I can hear it in videos, others can hear it on the phone, (not just landlines) and I believe it also interferes with FaceTime. My phone also gets hot while preforming the most mundane tasks.

I have an appointment with the Genius Bar tomorrow. It may be pointless to replace at this time but I'm going to give it a try!

Let us know how it goes! Mine is not as prominent as some I have heard. Luckily I can get by until my rep finds a resolution that works best for me since I do not live near an Apple Store.

rloorojo2

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2016
New York City
hello.. my name is Raul I'm new in the forum.

i got the same problem with my 256gb 7 plus..i just got my first replacement today.. as a result a got a more noise item.. this time the noise is reflecting in the videos that i got with my camera and when i am doing quiet things with my phone..
im so upset about this phone. i pay 1000 dollar for this phone..

sorry for my english......

Reactions: jgelin and muh

markol

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
I have this issue as well and hear it even when the phone isn't doing anything. I wanted to just live with it but I can hear buzzing and scratching sounds really loudly when filming videos and Live Photos.

emix2001

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2015
Italy

False. We have iPhone 7 as company phone. All of them hiss. FaceTime is a pain with this turbine in your ears. Pluses are more evident, for sure. I have both but the plus is on its way for return. Better to wait a little

Last edited:

emix2001

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2015
Italy
I notice the hiss when my phone does anything requiring it to actually perform a task. Whether that be a video, gaming, facebook, etc. The video picks it up because the hiss is close enough to the mic.

That's due to power requirements. Voltage step up increases its load under huge power supply request. It's some way normal but shouldn't behave that way. The operating frequency should be in the order of megahertz so virtually silent in audio band. And not, it's the mic but the circuit that picks up those harmonics

6thDAY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
I can also confirm that the Verizon iPhone 7 I just got from the Apple Store also contains some noise. It's a constant ticking noise when in sleep mode and on, and occasional chirping when it's under intensive work.

I also did a 10 sec 4K recording and can definitely hear some static and constant ticking picked up from the mic.

I did a 10 sec 4k recording on my 6s Plus, and there's no ticking, only white noise. However, when I held the back of the 6s Plus to my ear, I can hear a similar ticking noise, but it's 2x-3x slower, but no chirp.

emix2001

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2015
Italy
I can also confirm that the Verizon iPhone 7 I just got from the Apple Store also contains some noise. It's a constant ticking noise when in sleep mode and on, and occasional chirping when it's under intensive work.

I also did a 10 sec 4K recording and can definitely hear some static and constant ticking picked up from the mic.

I did a 10 sec 4k recording on my 6s Plus, and there's no ticking, only white noise. However, when I held the back of the 6s Plus to my ear, I can hear a similar ticking noise, but it's 2x-3x slower, but no chirp.

Same to me.

xotigu

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2014
Same here, week 39, regular 7.
Minor hiss at the apple logo and can definitely hear when video recording.
I bought this from Japan and have no way access to exchange it since I left already :(

Conan86

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
Singapore
Same here, week 39, regular 7.
Minor hiss at the apple logo and can definitely hear when video recording.
I bought this from Japan and have no way access to exchange it since I left already :(

iPhone is protected with international warranty isn't it? You can still have it exchanged IF your country is already selling it.

Reactions: muh

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
My linksys WRT1900AC router makes the same noises.

I'm glad you mentioned this. I was going to buy one, but I won't as this type of noise really Bothers me. Any idea of the WRT1900ACS Makes the same noise? Feel free to PM me as I don't want to derail this thread.

mikizee

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
So where are the videos hearing the hissing from feet away?

Mine was hissing and chirping loud enough that I could hear it over the tv when it was on the couch next to me. Only did it once when I was restoring a backup and didn't do it that loud ever again, so I never took a video.
[doublepost=1476439924][/doublepost]

I did call, I asked at least half a dozen times to reps and senior advisors on the phone to put me through to customer relations. Was completely ignored.

spooned12000rpm

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2009
York, UK
AppleCare Senior Advisor told me today that it's not worth returning the phone back during the "14 day period" because allmost all the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus are affected by the hissing problem and it would be highly possible to just get another hissing iPhone back. He also told me that engineers are working on the problem and that I should just wait, they have no updates on the issue, yet.

Yeah, I'm on my first replacement due to uneven backlighting. The new screen in perfect so I'm gonna hang on unless something more severe occurs. Seems like more phones are making noises than not at the moment. I also imagine there's a huge number of people out there who just haven't heard it yet!

Constant ticking/buzzing plus whine on my 32GB Wk40 7, its got to be related to a particular chip on both phones.

What's funny is the retina MacBook Pros have been doing this since launch and people just poo pooed it as fan noise as there's no other moving parts. That's crap, it's noise from the electronics. The other night my OH had her old unibody MacBook out so we could burn a CD, and that makes the exact same noises (its harder to hear as the fans are louder and it has a physical HDD but listening closely enough you can pick out the same high pitched 'EEEEE' noises and crackly 'modem' clicks.

emix2001

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2015
Italy
Surely normal on hi power electronics like notebooks. Unbelievable on a phone. Never heard before on the most powerful phones in 2016

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
False. We have iPhone 7 as company phone. All of them hiss. FaceTime is a pain with this turbine in your ears. Pluses are more evident, for sure. I have both but the plus is on its way for return. Better to wait a little

Ahhhh ok I thought it was just the Plus model. That sucks even more then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.