Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FoxMike

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2016
Columbus, Ohio
Here is some fun to add the the conversation. My verizon iPhone 6 also makes the same CPU noise my 7 plus makes. So this noise actually has been around for a long time.

indg

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
Here is some fun to add the the conversation. My verizon iPhone 6 also makes the same CPU noise my 7 plus makes. So this noise actually has been around for a long time.

my GSM iphone 6 is much quieter:
https://goo.gl/photos/h98YY9d823wWrfxZ8

it also passes the finger snap test with no hiss after the snap:
https://goo.gl/photos/4CG5fE4NpYQKMH9V8

i bet apple is already revising their components in the supply chain to eliminate this issue in the iphone 7. but it could be weeks til they have a steady supply of "corrected" units in stores.

Bbqthis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2015
Bay Area, CA
my GSM iphone 6 is much quieter:
https://goo.gl/photos/h98YY9d823wWrfxZ8

it also passes the finger snap test with no hiss after the snap:
https://goo.gl/photos/4CG5fE4NpYQKMH9V8

i bet apple is already revising their components in the supply chain to eliminate this issue in the iphone 7. but it could be weeks til they have a steady supply of "corrected" units in stores.
I'm holding out on replacing my 7 Plus with video whine issues until I am sure the issue has been resolved. I just wish someone could get an Apple Care or Engineering rep to confirm that it is an issue and that a fix is being worked on.

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
I just wish someone could get an Apple Care or Engineering rep to confirm that it is an issue and that a fix is being worked on.
Screen Shot 2016-10-12 at 12.40.12 AM.png
This is what I was told last night via chat.

kendo88

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Coventry
Got my 2nd 7 plus. 1st, the hiss was quite audible, and picked up in video recordings. This new one, a week 40, most of the time I cannot hear it, and when I can, it is extremely quiet, other people I have given it to can't even hear it, it's that quiet. Can't hear it during videos. So, I'm happy to keep this one, don't think I'll find better at the mo

azing

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2013
The North
Thought I'd add my experience to the thread. I picked up a JB 128GB plus on Saturday. First thing I did was check for the noise. Not a single sound can be heard even when I put it up against my ear. No noise in video or anything. Week 40.

Reactions: DianaMR

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
Did you do the whole dump crash logs etc etc thing for them? I remember doing that when my watch wasn't loading native apps on OS2
Yeah I had to do that.
Engineering got back to me and so did my rep this morning. I have an appointment on Friday with Genius bar, likely for replacement. I have a call back with another rep before appt. because they want to tell the store managers what to look for, and that call has the detail of “iPhone 7+ system wide issues” in the planner.
They could not guarantee that I would go there on Friday and they would have replacement stock, so that is a gamble in itself, and I will be VERY displeased if they do not have any and I wasted yet more time trying to get a phone that ‘just works’

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
do you guys spend a lot of time with your ear to the back of the phone?
yes they do apparently, 1500 posts worth of them!

I have the issue, but its fun watching everyone or see stories, people worried about white nosie in videos like their filming Spielberg level stuff and sticking phones up to their ears in reverse.

Whats great is they fire back "well I paid $1,000 unacceptable" and indeed it is, but be a grown person and just return it, and if it keeps doing it ditch it. But the constant circe of exchanges and people getting the same results is starting to be funny.

Reactions: emix2001

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
Hope it's not their standard set of answers. In many cases people have been told to keep their phone with whine or go with the money. Some people have also been told that the back noise is due to the processor that is cooling off....because it's very powerful

I'm sure that's their standard response when they get this issue, I chatted with them yesterday and got the same exact response. Lets see how long it will be for the engineers to even mention this.

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
I'm just trying to figure out when in the pass has Apple engineers ever came out and said something and addressed an issue?

Rarely. I'm just thinking of the most recent problems with their products - iPhone 6/plus "touch" disease, MacBook Pro GPU failures ('11-'13), Mac Pro GPU failures ('13), iPhone 6 plus weird camera software/hardware issues, and the list goes on and on. Never has Apple addressed these issues within several months of the release. For the MBP's, even if they were released in 2011-2013, they addressed these issues in 2015.

Apple is a great company if the items work out of the box with no problems. But with stuff like this? I would be surprised if an official statement came out from Apple about the iPhone 7/plus by the end of this year.

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
Rarely. I'm just thinking of the most recent problems with their products - iPhone 6/plus "touch" disease, MacBook Pro GPU failures ('11-'13), Mac Pro GPU failures ('13), iPhone 6 plus weird camera software/hardware issues, and the list goes on and on. Never has Apple addressed these issues within several months of the release. For the MBP's, even if they were released in 2011-2013, they addressed these issues in 2015.

Apple is a great company if the items work out of the box with no problems. But with stuff like this? I would be surprised if an official statement came out from Apple about the iPhone 7/plus by the end of this year.

My exact thoughts, I was pretty sure I have never heard Apple coming out with an official statement regarding this. That's why I feel we all will be sucking this one up as a lost. I wish it was just a way where we could get our voices heard with an issue that's so widespread as this one.

Bbqthis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2015
Bay Area, CA
I have the issue, but its fun watching everyone or see stories, people worried about white nosie in videos like their filming Spielberg level stuff and sticking phones up to their ears in reverse.
Not sure why you feel the need to be the person that you are, but many of these issues are not trivial. People don't want high pitched coil whine in the videos they take of their kids. I'm sorry you have nothing going on in your life that's worth preserving, but don't tell people they're stupid for wanting to have problems resolved.

Last edited:

Valavoom

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2016
Toronto
I had the same issue with my 7+ Jet black, spoke to Apple on Sunday and they sent me a new phone yesterday, new phone has no hissing sound whatsoever. Happy again :)

Reactions: jgelin

LegendaryAced

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
Brighton, UK
Coming back here after I have returned my 7 Plus Gold 128GB from the very first days due to hissing and static noise issues in the video recordings, a friend here in the UK received his phone from Vodafone yesterday.

He received the iPhone 7 Plus Silver 128GB, F2, week 39. The sound is almost unnoticeable when he tries to listen with his ear. However, there is a terrible, loud sound for the first 3 seconds and then you can hear the static noise in the background and 2G interference from the antenna in video recordings with the rear camera. He initiated the return process with Vodafone UK and he decided to skip the 7 Plus altogether, as I did.

Not a good year for Apple either. At least it isn't as disastrous as the Note 7 full recall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.