Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techiebug

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2013
Honestly I can't hear anything. I haven't really tried put my ear next to the phone yet and I don't plan to do that.

kawa636r

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2016
Spain
Are the new ones coming out in the last 2 weeks hissing?
i think yes
[doublepost=1476123361][/doublepost]
I explained that the people who I call on Skype can even hear the noise and said that I doubt that Apple's official position is that the users have to accept that. He then said yes, it is. He said it's only a small phone camera with the mic close to the processor and not a professional camera.

i don't know why but i think you are not telling the truth.

LKN

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
Yorkshire
Mine is hissing too, but to be fair can only hear it when i put my ear to the back in a quiet room otherwise cant hear anything.

To be honest I never would have known about the issue if it wasnt for this thread.

Its nothing to worry about and doesnt affect performance at all. Some say its the mic being oversensitve for it being picked up in videos.

Just enjoy it and if it gets louder or worse then Apple will happiy swap it out.

Reactions: michael31986

schmidti91

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2016
Eisenach, Germany
i don't know why but i think you are not telling the truth.

I also didn't believe how he treated this issue. I even asked for his name because I found the situation so unapple-like. He just explained everything really pragmatically and said that it is how it is and if I'm not happy I could try to return it where I bought it because if they would exchange it, the new phone would make the same noise.

I can give you his name in a private message and you can call him if you speak German.

mikezmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2014
NH
Mine is hissing too, but to be fair can only hear it when i put my ear to the back in a quiet room otherwise cant hear anything.

To be honest I never would have known about the issue if it wasnt for this thread.

Its nothing to worry about and doesnt affect performance at all. Some say its the mic being oversensitve for it being picked up in videos.

Just enjoy it and if it gets louder or worse then Apple will happiy swap it out.

I do a lot of filming, Just got the Osmo Mobile (triple gimble) so That I can film with my iphone as well. Audio hiss is not a good thing

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
I also didn't believe how he treated this issue. I even asked for his name because I found the situation so unapple-like. He just explained everything really pragmatically and said that it is how it is and if I'm not happy I could try to return it where I bought it because if they would exchange it, the new phone would make the same noise.

I can give you his name in a private message and you can call him if you speak German.

Apple Germany knows no more than Apple USA does, we should speak Chinese to get an accurate information.

crawltochina

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2015
Ok, my matte black 7 Plus week 38 has the static "eeeee" in video recordings which I believed was just a microphone too sensitive. Today I received a gold 7 Plus from week 40 and the static high white noise in video recordings is not there!!! I am honestly surprised. I believed every 7 Plus would do that. The other videos in this thread showed that. But this one has just normal white noise, no static hissing etc.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I see that people are still beating their brains in over this issue. Just won't take the advice of leave be or return the phone and get something else.

iMacca44

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2012
Got my replacement, week 39 still has the sound. Couple of guys on another Australian forum have received replacements from week 40 that are okay, but one other that still had it.

jianrong

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2015
My week 40 jet black Plus came with 10.02 had hissing sound and also during video playback. After restore in iTune the problem seem gone. Also the Apple logo sound is minimal too.

jtwlbz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2014
My week 40 jet black Plus came with 10.02 had hissing sound and also during video playback. After restore in iTune the problem seem gone. Also the Apple logo sound is minimal too.

After resore its gone.... are you sure? This is not a sw issue...

jianrong

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2015
After resore its gone.... are you sure? This is not a sw issue...

The Apple logo at back was more louder when I just turn on the first time running octane test. Record and playback the hiss can be heard too. After I restore. The back Apple logo noise was minimal. Video playback hiss were gone.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
The Apple logo at back was more louder when I just turn on the first time running octane test. Record and playback the hiss can be heard too. After I restore. The back Apple logo noise was minimal. Video playback hiss were gone.

What is this Octane test? Just curious.

Conan86

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
Singapore
I dont believe peeps reporting no issue since i heard more than 10 phones and i hear all noise. Some is quieter some is louder. My returned 7+ was the quietest one i ever heard but i still hear it. People reporting no issue may be not trying hard

I agree, it seems all 7+ has this issue but some are just fortunate to not being able to pick up the noise. In fact, if I listen hard enough in a silent room, I can hear it from the 4.7" 6s under heavy load as well, it is faint but definitely there.

At this point, I would likely advise people to only replace it if it is audible during phone calls or real use video recording. Mine has terrible high pitched white noise when I tested the video recording in a silent room, but does tremendously well when I took videos in real life, can't hear the high pitched noise etc for real usage. There is no certainty that a replacement phone would be softer than the one you have peeps.
[doublepost=1476161027][/doublepost]
What is this Octane test? Just curious.

you can find it easily just by googling keywords "Google Octane Test"... but here you go.. explanation of the test is right there as well.

https://developers.google.com/octane/

Reactions: Gathomblipoob
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.