Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

66gonzo

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2012
Mine's also week 39 and very loud.

Okay. I feel like I've look everywhere a i can't find how you know what week yours was manufactured. Can someone help me with that?

I have buzzing...it's my second device. Serial on both has started with F2.
[doublepost=1476723977][/doublepost]
Okay. I feel like I've look everywhere a i can't find how you know what week yours was manufactured. Can someone help me with that?

never mind...i finally found a link that is useful. I currently have a week 39 device

Last edited:

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Better to stay with the iPhone 6S and 6S Plus until iOS hits 10.3.x stability and by then also all the hardware issues will be fixed in iPhone 7 and 7 Plus.

n20nine

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2008

[doublepost=1476723977][/doublepost]

never mind...i finally found a link that is useful. I currently have a week 39 device
m

Many with a week 39 device have this issue. Swapped mine and got a week 38 - no issues.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
m

Many with a week 39 device have this issue. Swapped mine and got a week 38 - no issues.

I purchased the iPhone 7 Plus silver 256 GB and had mine delivered on September 16, mine does not have a problem with any hissing whatsoever. But then again I'm not a gamer nor do I put my phone through a rough setting or push it to it's limits to make it get really hot. I think that's where your hissing is coming from.

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
Better to stay with the iPhone 6S and 6S Plus until iOS hits 10.3.x stability and by then also all the hardware issues will be fixed in iPhone 7 and 7 Plus.

My week 37 Iphone 7, 128GB has only one issue. It is FAST! Clean screen, no hissing or other problems that are mentioned on this discussion board.

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

n20nine

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2008
I purchased the iPhone 7 Plus silver 256 GB and had mine delivered on September 16, mine does not have a problem with any hissing whatsoever. But then again I'm not a gamer nor do I put my phone through a rough setting or push it to it's limits to make it get really hot. I think that's where your hissing is coming from.

No the hissing is apparent even during normal loads. Just recording a quiet video will bring it up.

Reactions: kid.icarus

Schizoide

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2016
Hi people,

So I know that there are lots of iPhones hissing like a rattlesnake but I wanted to give you guys my own experience with my iPhone 7 Plus 32GB.

I pre ordered my iPhone 7 Plus via an Apple Reseller in the Netherlands and had to wait since September 9th (!). Yesterday I could finally embrace my brand new iPhone 7 Plus 32GB. However, after reading through some topics about the hissing I put the phone close to my ear, and yes, I could hear the hiss...

I immediately went nuts since I hate having issues like these on my brand new phone. I contacted Apple and they said it's quite common for the phones to produce a sound. The sound can be described as sizzling/hissing/cracking noise which can only be heard if you hold the back of the phone close to your ears.

After the initial shock I decided to return the phone but Apple told me that I would likely get another one that has the same problem, so I decided to wait a couple of days. I wouldn't mind the hissing because a normal person doesn't hold the back of it's phone against his/her ear. But the problem is: the microphone picks up the noise.

I decided to call up some different people from Apple and was finally able to contact one of the engineers. He told me the noise produced by the chips are quite normal since they are so high-powered. But the microphone thing is not normal, he told me Apple is currently working on it and it might be patched. Since the microphone is too sensitive right now they COULD fix it by lowering microphone sensitivity, but don't quote me on this. I made some videos on iPhone 6S' and found the same noise, but not as loud as the iPhone 7 Plus. Apple told me almost ALL iPhone 7's do HISS, however, most people are not able to hear it because of the high frequencies, but if you have sensitive ears like mine, you can definitely hear it. Some phones can also be louder than others but the margin is not that bigger. There are no phones that are DEAD SILENT, but there are phones most people can't hear hissing.

I wanted to share this information with others so maybe the 'omg what is this'-feeling would go away. I have planned an appointment with a geniusbar this Thursday and I'll make my final decision (keep or return) after that. I have made a nice summary below for people who're lazy to read

==========================================================
Summary

Problem
- iPhone 7 Plus generates a hiss/crack/buzz sound which can be picked up by the microphone

Potential causes (after my research)
- Microphone is too sensitive (can be patched in future software updates)
- Processor is doing too much things at the same time that causes it too produce sound, this means it isn't designed properly (maybe throttling in future updates, but likely a hardware problem)
- Noise cancelling feature is set too high (can be patched in future software updates)

=========================================================
I do believe that this is not that big of an issue since so many iPhones have it, the phones are working fine but the noise is just there because of the way the A10 Fusion chip is designed.

I hope you liked this topic, leave your comments down below. I will update this topic on Thursday after I visited the 'Genius'bar. Apple already declined to swap it out for a new one because I bought it through a reseller which doesn't have stock for the next couple weeks. So it's either let it hiss or two weeks without a smartphone (suicide).

Serpiente-Kaa-76085.gif

Last edited:

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
Read through the first post but did not see a link to a recording of the hissing that is apparently so bad the microphone picks it up, did I somehow miss it?

Schizoide

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2016
Read through the first post but did not see a link to a recording of the hissing that is apparently so bad the microphone picks it up, did I somehow miss it?
I didn't include any video since it is exactly the same in other phones.

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Hi people,

So I know that there are lots of iPhones hissing like a rattlesnake but I wanted to give you guys my own experience with my iPhone 7 Plus 32GB.

I pre ordered my iPhone 7 Plus via an Apple Reseller in the Netherlands and had to wait since September 9th (!). Yesterday I could finally embrace my brand new iPhone 7 Plus 32GB. However, after reading through some topics about the hissing I put the phone close to my ear, and yes, I could hear the hiss...

I immediately went nuts since I hate having issues like these on my brand new phone. I contacted Apple and they said it's quite common for the phones to produce a sound. The sound can be described as sizzling/hissing/cracking noise which can only be heard if you hold the back of the phone close to your ears.

After the initial shock I decided to return the phone but Apple told me that I would likely get another one that has the same problem, so I decided to wait a couple of days. I wouldn't mind the hissing because a normal person doesn't hold the back of it's phone against his/her ear. But the problem is: the microphone picks up the noise.

I decided to call up some different people from Apple and was finally able to contact one of the engineers. He told me the noise produced by the chips are quite normal since they are so high-powered. But the microphone thing is not normal, he told me Apple is currently working on it and it might be patched. Since the microphone is too sensitive right now they COULD fix it by lowering microphone sensitivity, but don't quote me on this. I made some videos on iPhone 6S' and found the same noise, but not as loud as the iPhone 7 Plus. Apple told me almost ALL iPhone 7's do HISS, however, most people are not able to hear it because of the high frequencies, but if you have sensitive ears like mine, you can definitely hear it. Some phones can also be louder than others but the margin is not that bigger. There are no phones that are DEAD SILENT, but there are phones most people can't hear hissing.

I wanted to share this information with others so maybe the 'omg what is this'-feeling would go away. I have planned an appointment with a geniusbar this Thursday and I'll make my final decision (keep or return) after that. I have made a nice summary below for people who're lazy to read

==========================================================
Summary

Problem
- iPhone 7 Plus generates a hiss/crack/buzz sound which can be picked up by the microphone

Potential causes (after my research)
- Microphone is too sensitive (can be patched in future software updates)
- Processor is doing too much things at the same time that causes it too produce sound, this means it isn't designed properly (maybe throttling in future updates, but likely a hardware problem)
- Noise cancelling feature is set too high (can be patched in future software updates)

=========================================================
I do believe that this is not that big of an issue since so many iPhones have it, the phones are working fine but the noise is just there because of the way the A10 Fusion chip is designed.

I hope you liked this topic, leave your comments down below. I will update this topic on Thursday after I visited the 'Genius'bar. Apple already declined to swap it out for a new one because I bought it through a reseller which doesn't have stock for the next couple weeks. So it's either let it hiss or two weeks without a smartphone (suicide).

Serpiente-Kaa-76085.gif

Great review. I agree with you. I can also hear hiss noise in every phone I could try (20+). I want to tell that week 41 is the quietest iphone I've ever heard. My friend told me that it was quite, but I could hear the noise. I must admit that 7+ week 41 makes the same noise as my 6S.

Schizoide

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2016
Great review. I agree with you. I can also hear hiss noise in every phone I could try (20+). I want to tell that week 41 is the quietest iphone I've ever heard. My friend told me that it was quite, but I could hear the noise. I must admit that 7+ week 41 makes the same noise as my 6S.
I haven't tried more iPhones, mine is week 41 as well, so I guess mine is the most silent then haha.

Nekomichi

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2016
About the theory that the hiss is due to the CPU being overworked, does enabling Power Saving Mode reduce the hissing? Power Saving Mode is supposed to throttle the CPU.

Schizoide

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2016
About the theory that the hiss is due to the CPU being overworked, does enabling Power Saving Mode reduce the hissing? Power Saving Mode is supposed to throttle the CPU.
It actually does, not by much, but it can definitely help for people who have the louder ones.

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
Just received my iPhone matte black, plus model, 256gb, and it's another week 38. :/

It makes it if I put my ear up to the apple emblem, but I can't hear it sitting in my room like I did the first one....not happy it's doing it period, but I will live I guess.

Reactions: imlynxy

Riley0818

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
If your phone hisses, return it. If your new phone hisses, return it. If no one else can hear the hiss but you, you'll need to decide if you can live with it, or move on to something else. I hear Samsung is making some hot stuff these days.

A hiss does not indicate a problem. A hiss only indicates the phone is not performing as YOU expect it to.

The great news is, you are free to return it and MOVE ON...

Schizoide

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2016
If your phone hisses, return it. If your new phone hisses, return it. If no one else can hear the hiss but you, you'll need to decide if you can live with it, or move on to something else. I hear Samsung is making some hot stuff these days.

A hiss does not indicate a problem. A hiss only indicates the phone is not performing as YOU expect it to.

The great news is, you are free to return it and MOVE ON...
Yes, all I'm saying is that hissing is normal on the iPhone 7. My sisters can not hear the hiss, only I do. Other than the hissing, it's a very good product but I'll see if I'm going to return it after visiting the geniusbar, I want to hear what they have to say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.