Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
Have been using my brand new iPhone 7 matt black 128 GB from five hours now and no hiss any kind of sound, running perfectly fine

Reactions: Thor_1

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
If you hadn't read on Macrumors that some people had hissing iPhone 7's, would you have even noticed this on yours? I suspect not, and that Macrumors has a lot to answer to Apple's shareholders for the ever growing return rate for perfectly functional devices.

I've just put the back of my iP7 to my ear (why?) and can't really hear anything. I've also not noticed any unexpected noise on videos and nobody has complained about hissing when I called them.

This place really is crazier than a box of badgers :D

BigSky20

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2007
I got a 7+ 256GB Verizon MB phone on launch. Replaced it twice and returned the phone because of coil whine noises. I was not accepted that as a "feature". Also, did not love the yellowish screen. I decided to reorder the phone for 3-4 week delivery. I just received the new phone. NO coil whine noises that I can hear and the phone is much less yellow (not noticeable at all). I think I am done with getting launch day phones!

jac2598

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
I only started investigating this because of the "extra noise" I noticed in, what I expected to be, a pretty quiet video I took last night.

After making another quiet video, I heard the same "extra noise" and checked my phone. I held the back to my ear and it's a noticeable sound on my matte black iPhone 7 Plus 128gb (received on release date).

I checked with my wife, Rose Gold iPhone 7 Plus 128gb, who received hers the same day and she doesn't notice any sound. I'll confirm myself when I get home from work tonight.

I've made an appointment to have my phone looked at an Apple Store.

*EDIT* Just looked mine up, it's a week 37. Her's is also a week 37 device.

Last edited:

ilifecomputer

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
CA
My week 39 hisses but my screen looks immaculate. Might be best iPhone screen I have had and I've been through many.

iPhones are becoming a pick your poison type game. (Other mass produced electronics too, tho).

Reactions: Sensamic

Texxy

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2011
Well boys, I give up. I have done three replacements with Verizon. Just not worth it anymore. My first phone had the hissing problem and white noise in microphone very loud. Great screen though. Second one had yellow tint on screen along with hissing/when the camera would focus you could hear the mechanics be picked up on a video. Third one had the loudest hissing and white noise of them all.

Went to apple store today to get a replacement they didn't even have any Jet Black in stock so the genius bar guy gave me the run around for 40 minutes doing stupid diagnostics before telling me there were none in stock.

Reactions: muh and Sensamic

Schizoide

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2016
I have a week 41 phone that hisses, however, I'm the only one of the 10+ people I showed that noticed. There is no iPhone 7 that does NOT hiss, however there are phones that hiss so quietly that most people can't hear it. Maybe I should damage my ears so I won't be able to hear it too :)

Reactions: imlynxy

Radeon85

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
South Wales, UK
I have a launch day week 35 7 Plus 256GB that hisses very loudly from the rear even when idle and the screen is on. Just received my brand new week 42 replacement (new retail box) and it's 100% silent no matter what I do.

Comparing the them side by side screen is also whiter, and with both at 100% brightness the new one is a good 10% brighter as well.

Both serials start F2LS

Last edited:
Reactions: DianaMR

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
I have a launch day week 35 7 Plus 256GB that hisses very loudly from the rear even when idle and the screen is on. Just received my brand new week 42 replacement (new retail box) and it's 100% silent no matter what I do.

Comparing the them side by side screen is also whiter, and with both at 100% brightness the new one is a good 10% brighter as well.

Both serials start F2LS
Reach out to Apple support regarding this, we need as many complaints as possible to get this looked at. Maybe just maybe Apple will address it.

kawa636r

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2016
Spain

Both serials start F2LS
this is a very good news

indg

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
Both serials start F2LS
for those without any buzzing/clicking/hiss problems, please post the first 5 digits of your iPhone's serial#.

for example, F2LSF:
F2L = factory (usually foxconn)
SF = week 38, SG = 39, SH = 40, SJ = 41, SK = 42

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
I have a week 41 phone that hisses, however, I'm the only one of the 10+ people I showed that noticed. There is no iPhone 7 that does NOT hiss, however there are phones that hiss so quietly that most people can't hear it. Maybe I should damage my ears so I won't be able to hear it too :)
Not all phones hiss and don't give me the I cannot hear it.

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Put a sensitive microphone next to it, you'll see that they all hiss but vary in how much. So basically it comes down tooo.... you not hearing it :oops:

Put a sensitive enough microscope next to it and I'll be able to see the molecular structure of the casing. ;)

Reactions: Thor_1

iMacca44

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2012
Decided to try again and just picked up a 128gb + black, week 42.

I THINK it's ok.. majority of the time I can't hear a thing. RIght now while it is doing icloud and google photo back up I can hear the noise at the top if I jam my ear right into it, (interestingly I only hear it right at the top, not near the apple logo like the last ones). But it is quiet and certainly wouldn't have noticed it if I didn't know. My original and the replacement that followed could be heard from a few centimeters away without having to do much at all.

Hard to get a quiet environment at work, it may have been picked up slightly on video but again had to jam my ear against the speaker to hear it.

So I guess I'll see how it goes tonight and over the weekend. It's certainly a lot better than the other ones I've had, but not silent like some people are saying.

fitgirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2013
Decided to try again and just picked up a 128gb + black, week 42.

I THINK it's ok.. majority of the time I can't hear a thing. RIght now while it is doing icloud and google photo back up I can hear the noise at the top if I jam my ear right into it, (interestingly I only hear it right at the top, not near the apple logo like the last ones). But it is quiet and certainly wouldn't have noticed it if I didn't know. My original and the replacement that followed could be heard from a few centimeters away without having to do much at all.

Hard to get a quiet environment at work, it may have been picked up slightly on video but again had to jam my ear against the speaker to hear it.

So I guess I'll see how it goes tonight and over the weekend. It's certainly a lot better than the other ones I've had, but not silent like some people are saying.

How is the quality of your screen?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.