Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bbqthis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2015
Bay Area, CA
Decided to try again and just picked up a 128gb + black, week 42.

I THINK it's ok.. majority of the time I can't hear a thing. RIght now while it is doing icloud and google photo back up I can hear the noise at the top if I jam my ear right into it, (interestingly I only hear it right at the top, not near the apple logo like the last ones). But it is quiet and certainly wouldn't have noticed it if I didn't know. My original and the replacement that followed could be heard from a few centimeters away without having to do much at all.

Hard to get a quiet environment at work, it may have been picked up slightly on video but again had to jam my ear against the speaker to hear it.

So I guess I'll see how it goes tonight and over the weekend. It's certainly a lot better than the other ones I've had, but not silent like some people are saying.
How's the noise while filming? Any loud white noise or coil whine?

Sanlitun

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
I just got my second 7 Plus today, a Jet Black 256 week 41. This one has no audible hiss and as well has better sound in video. If I do the "snapping fingers" video recording test it has much much less white noise after any sharp sound.

My other 7 Plus is a week 38 MB 256 and it has an audible hiss when installing Garage Band and quite a lot of noise in videos.

I did ask at the Apple Store if I could exchange the phones as I had wanted the Jet Black in the first place but they said no as I was 10 days out of my return period. They did however let me migrate my Applecare+ to the new phone.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
I just got my iPhone last week. iPhone 7 Plus jet black. If I put my ear really close to it, I can hear a little bit of an electric type noise, seems from the circuitry. Kind of weird, but I got AC, so I'll just keep using my iPhone. If something goes wrong, I will send it in.

On the flipside, I have a really weird crackling/white noise only when speakerphone mode. It's gone when speakerphone off. Any thoughts?

Rudy83

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2016
I have a week 40 iPhone 7 128gb JB, and when under stress (I game) and I hold the phone up to my ear, I do hear static 'dial in modem' kind of sounds.

When in hand, or on the table, I hear nothing, even when running benchmarks and really putting it through hell.

Tried recording video in a quiet room, and when playing it back at full volume, there is a consistent hiss, which I believe to be normal mic static.

All in all, I'm ok with it.

Reactions: michael31986

Schizoide

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2016
I have a week 40 iPhone 7 128gb JB, and when under stress (I game) and I hold the phone up to my ear, I do hear static 'dial in modem' kind of sounds.

When in hand, or on the table, I hear nothing, even when running benchmarks and really putting it through hell.

Tried recording video in a quiet room, and when playing it back at full volume, there is a consistent hiss, which I believe to be normal mic static.

The hiss shouldn't be there, I would return it.
[doublepost=1477042499][/doublepost]
I just got my iPhone last week. iPhone 7 Plus jet black. If I put my ear really close to it, I can hear a little bit of an electric type noise, seems from the circuitry. Kind of weird, but I got AC, so I'll just keep using my iPhone. If something goes wrong, I will send it in.

On the flipside, I have a really weird crackling/white noise only when speakerphone mode. It's gone when speakerphone off. Any thoughts?
Get it replaced.

Rudy83

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2016
The hiss shouldn't be there, I would return it.

Really? The sound is exactly the same sound as if you put on headphones with volume to the max, and no song playing / quiet part of a recording, if this makes any sense at all.

I'm a bit hesitant to exchange, as my screen and all other 'issues' found here are non-existent on my device...

mrbubblety

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2016
Just a heads up if you're exchanging your IP7+ into the Apple Store (due to noise issues) after trading in your IP6/6+/6s/6s+ under AT&T's free IP7/$650 promo.

I received my iPhone 7 Plus on 9/23 from the Apple Store, afterwards I traded in my iPhone 6 Plus into the AT&T retail in order to take advantage of the free IP7/$650 credit promotion. After a few days of use, I noticed a hissing noise (causing my videos to pick up the hissing noise) from the phone and went into the Apple Store on 9/29 so I could get a replacement.

At the Apple Store, it appeared that instead of doing a warranty replacement, they tried to do a return and exchange. This is where the trouble started. After returning the IP7+ with the hissing problem, my upgrade eligibility was gone. This prevented me from getting the replacement phone on AT&T's Next program, which is required to qualify for the free IP7/$650 promo. At this point I had no phone in my possession, as Apple stated that they could not undo a return and I had already turned in my IP6+. After 4 grueling hours of trying to figure out a solution with Apple, AT&T's retail store, and AT&T customer service over the phone, they basically told me I was screwed and had to buy a phone at full price in order to have a phone to use for the time being.

The next day, I called AT&T again to try to figure out a solution, hoping that a different agent would lead to better results. She told me she would open a case and that I would be able to qualify for the promo even though it ended since I was not at fault in this situation. If not, they would send back my IP6+.

After a few weeks, I finally heard back from them. I was able to get my upgrade eligibility back. Unfortunately, I was told that I no longer qualify for the promotion and that they would NOT be returning my IP6+, I would only receive credit for the trade-in (about $150). The only reason I upgraded was because of the promotion. Now this isn't happening and I don't have my IP6+ anymore.

Has anyone ran into this issue? Or, have any advice on what I should do next?

Schizoide

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2016
Really? The sound is exactly the same sound as if you put on headphones with volume to the max, and no song playing / quiet part of a recording, if this makes any sense at all.

I'm a bit hesitant to exchange, as my screen and all other 'issues' found here are non-existent on my device...
Well, I compared it to my old Galaxy S6. The Galaxy has way less hissing in videos than the iPhone 7, so my guess is that the hissing is way too loud than it should be.

itscomplicated

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2016
Got a 42 Week , Iphone 7 Plus 32 GB Silver.

The Same Hissing / Clicking noise is there :-(.

This one even is getting very very hot in the back , while doing intensive CPU operations.

I really dont have time and patience to try another replacement . Would the phone getting hotter and hissing sound decrease the life of the phone. I am not worried for the first year , But second year it if this phone gives up , i am in a bad situation.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009

if you have to hold your ear to the phone to her it, and everything else is fine, you're fine, how often are you plastering the back of the phone to your head, none, so yeah don't worry!

chackhou

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2016
For those who got a replacement, was it a brand new retail unit, or was it a white box replacement?

Thanks!

aj8690

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
Columbus, OH, USA
I'm glad I'm not the only one! I got my new iPhone 7 Plus in Black (at&t) this morning. I noticed it when I was testing out the new speakers. I put my ear up to the top speaker while the sound was at the lowest setting and it seemed like there was static coming from the speaker. But after playing around with it a little more, it's definitely not from the speaker. Like mentioned, I hear it the loudest when I put my ear up to the top-right of the back of the phone (the side opposite the cameras. The noise is there regardless of charging or not charging and regardless of phone being locked or unlocked. The noise gets louder (or the frequency changes?) and fluctuates depending on what you're doing but it's always there. It was also there when I tested my phone call, but the noise was reduced and not too noticeable. Placing phone in Airplane mode reduces the noise quite a bit it is still there. The noise seems more prominent when doing something processor-intensive or data-intensive.

Everything else about the phone works perfectly. I have been using it all day and it has behaved. Very fast, very responsive, fast LTE and Wi-Fi downloads. There are no other defects as far as I can tell. You can't hear the noise unless you put your ear close enough to the phone, but it's just really strange. It was hard enough to get a black 7 Plus on launch day, and now to try and get a replacement that might do the same thing? I don't know if it's worth it. I wonder if it could possibly be something funky with the modem firmware or something else that could be corrected via a software update?

I know that obviously a phone should not be emitting strange noise from internal parts, but I don't want to exchange it if a lot of these phones are doing the same thing. Obviously I'm not the only one, and there's probably even more who don't even realize it since you have to listen closely. I guess I'll wait a few days and see if more come out stating they're having the same issue. Maybe Apple will address it if it's widespread enough.
So I had my iPhone 7 Plus swapped out for an unrelated issue yesterday (accidental damage), and this one has no noticeable hiss/buzz noise whatsoever. It's like night and day. I'm wondering if Apple made a silent hardware revision, or if my original was just part of a bad batch...

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008

Don't listen to others. Don't return it. It's good the "hiss" while recording is white noise. It's different than what others are saying

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

Raunien

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2011
So I had my iPhone 7 Plus swapped out for an unrelated issue yesterday (accidental damage), and this one has no noticeable hiss/buzz noise whatsoever. It's like night and day. I'm wondering if Apple made a silent hardware revision, or if my original was just part of a bad batch...
What week was your replacement phone made?

itscomplicated

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2016
My 42 Week Iphone 7 Plus had the hiss , and after updating to 10.3 , it really became much less.
The Iphone does heat up like crazy when CPU intensive activity is happening .
Also at full volume , playing music the whole phone including the screen is vibrating , Is the vibration normal ?

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
You guys are still dealing with this? While I've been enjoying my phone you guys are obsessing over which week has a potential fix.

Waughy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
Australia
Had my phone looked at. Genius had no idea about the issue, thankfully another did. No stock so they've ordered one for me. Fingers crossed it's a good one.

I've also found the noise present in pics when using Live Photos.

aj8690

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
Columbus, OH, USA
What week was your replacement phone made?
Replacement is Week 40, absolutely no noticeable hiss as far as I can tell. (Original was week 37, severe hiss).

As soon as people starting quoting Week XX iPhone models you just know they are talking about Macrumors/Internet created issues ;)
You guys are still dealing with this? While I've been enjoying my phone you guys are obsessing over which week has a potential fix.
Everyone discrediting the users reporting this issue needs to understand that it is very real for many phones, and not just noticeable when you're looking for a problem. Like I said on the first page of this thread, I heard the noise quite loudly within the first few hours of ownership on launch day while the phone was several feet away from me. Some iPhone 7 devices have the hiss more severe than others, so maybe there are some that you only hear when you put your ear to the back of the phone. But, like I said, I heard the noise coming from MY device while the phone was not even within arms reach, before this thread was even created and before I read any reports about it. My week 37 had severe hiss. My week 40 has none (that I can hear).

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Is refurbished that people returned.

I strongly doubt that there are any refurbished phones in the supply chain at this point. The phones have only been available a little over a month. If people receive replacements at this point, they're new phones in the box with all accessories.

jac2598

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
I only started investigating this because of the "extra noise" I noticed in, what I expected to be, a pretty quiet video I took last night.

After making another quiet video, I heard the same "extra noise" and checked my phone. I held the back to my ear and it's a noticeable sound on my matte black iPhone 7 Plus 128gb (received on release date).

I checked with my wife, Rose Gold iPhone 7 Plus 128gb, who received hers the same day and she doesn't notice any sound. I'll confirm myself when I get home from work tonight.

I've made an appointment to have my phone looked at an Apple Store.

*EDIT* Just looked mine up, it's a week 37. Her's is also a week 37 device.

***Update***
I took mine to the Apple Store yesterday. After performing their diagnostics on the device, the employee went back to speak to her supervisor. Apparently, the supervisor acknowledged an issue/reports and stated it's expected to be fixed during an upcoming update. When I asked which update, there was no confirmation.

I mentioned that I already had 10.1 (Dev Beta) she said - "well, that might be the cause of the problem then".

So, it seems like I got a response from both sides - it's my fault (for running Dev Beta) and it's going to be fixed in a software update.

Either way, they did not offer a replacement or anything else. I'll wait and see what happens, I guess.

kiki lala

Suspended
Oct 15, 2016
I strongly doubt that there are any refurbished phones in the supply chain at this point. The phones have only been available a little over a month. If people receive replacements at this point, they're new phones in the box with all accessories.
hey buddy i got one of this before and i return back right away. remember where all you guy that return phone go? africa..LoL.. repackage and those replacement phone you asking for. you can say this phone is new not count as refurbished. Somehow anything is open box and been return because dissatisfaction hardware fault of past customer, what would you call that? they fix it or might not, before send it back to other is count REFURBISHED. Beware it might got Jizz from past user. LoL
[doublepost=1477233021][/doublepost]
***Update***
I took mine to the Apple Store yesterday. After performing their diagnostics on the device, the employee went back to speak to her supervisor. Apparently, the supervisor acknowledged an issue/reports and stated it's expected to be fixed during an upcoming update. When I asked which update, there was no confirmation.

I mentioned that I already had 10.1 (Dev Beta) she said - "well, that might be the cause of the problem then".

So, it seems like I got a response from both sides - it's my fault (for running Dev Beta) and it's going to be fixed in a software update.

Either way, they did not offer a replacement or anything else. I'll wait and see what happens, I guess.
Apple store Genius have alot of bull **** to cover. updated will not fix this, trust me.
***Update***

Apple Genius have a lot of bull **** to cover this. update will not fix this, trust me. if you really want a exchange why not just return it, if not over 14 days and reorder online, not at apple store because you might end up another Jizz phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.