Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bhs1975

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2012
I pressed mine and my wifes phone up to my ear in a very quiet room and ran a speed test and I could hear a ticking noise before the speed test and a hissing noise during the test on both phones. I couldn't hear it before due to the room not being quiet enough and not pressing my ear to the back. I suspect all 7s exhibit this to some extent. My iPod 6th gen does this as well. I never tried my 6s plus.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I hear that sometimes a refurbished is better then a new one. Was the one you got in the white box good?

When Apple sends out a white box replacement device, it's literally new. That doesn't mean it's brand new, but close. Apple replaces the aluminum casing, new screen and thoroughly tests the iPhone. In some cases, replacement devices are less likely to have issues, versus a new device, being they are screened for issues.

I have had two white box replacement devices in the last five years and they have been perfect in my opinion. Apple also has replacements for other devices with iPads and MacBooks.

Reactions: imlynxy

ShadowYYZ

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016
Tulsa Oklahoma
I hear that sometimes a refurbished is better then a new one. Was the one you got in the white box good?

Yeah, although mine slightly like from 1-100 the sound is like... less then 10.

You can only hear it if it's super super quiet otherwise works fine.

I decided to wait it out and in the past getting white boxes from apple. They looked brand new every time so you shouldn't worry :)

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
I just opened up a brand new 7 Plus that has has the static at the beginning of videos in a quiet environment. Didn't notice it when I recorded a video where I was walking and talking. I'm going to test it out under load as well.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
I'm heading to the Apple store tomorrow to try to get mine swapped (7+ 128 Black). Any suggestions on how to go about this?

Waughy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
Australia
Phone replaced, got a week 39 this time. Seems to be just as bad as the week 36 I had. Did a video, scratchy static still there, though white noise doesn't seem as bad. While it was restoring I could hear it without holding the phone against my ear, was about 2cm away and clear to hear the noise. Screen is good though, no yellowing, and no lint stuck between the glad and LCD.
I'll try support again and see if they can't get a specific phone set aside for me, week 42 or newer.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
So I'm a little late to the OCD party on this one as screen uniformity is my biggest problem but any as I woke up in bed today I put my week 39 JB 7 4.7 up against my ear and I can hear what sounds like a telegraph constantly ticking along with my whiny hissy noises when something is pressed on the screen or I double click the home button. And when I press standby the display shuts off and a second or two later the his changes and the ticking slows way down. I'm assuming this is normal and I've heard noises from processors for many many years whether it's from a laptop, desktop, or game console.

What's the big deal? Am I missing something? Processors have been known to make a little noise. Are people who are returning their phones actually getting ones that don't make a sound?!?
[doublepost=1477571120][/doublepost]
The ticking is from the radios because when airplane mode is on it's silent.

Holy smokes! Yup! The ticking totally changes and reduces when I turn airplane mode on right away! The telegraphing sound slows way down and then I just hear the what I call "normal" processor sound. The ticking and tapping comes right back when you turn airplane back on!

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
So I'm a little late to the OCD party on this one as screen uniformity is my biggest problem but any as I woke up in bed today I put my week 39 JB 7 4.7 up against my ear and I can hear what sounds like a telegraph constantly ticking along with my whiny hissy noises when something is pressed on the screen or I double click the home button. And when I press standby the display shuts off and a second or two later the his changes and the ticking slows way down. I'm assuming this is normal and I've heard noises from processors for many many years whether it's from a laptop, desktop, or game console.

What's the big deal? Am I missing something? Processors have been known to make a little noise. Are people who are returning their phones actually getting ones that don't make a sound?!?
They say they are. Most of the videos posted, IMO, is white noise from the mic.

syphern

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Week 42 ip7 32gb

Faint crackling sound when running benchmark

Also was generally speaking to apple employee. They have asked their engineers who said its a normal noise and non issue.

spooned12000rpm

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2009
York, UK
I was updating mine (iPhone 7) and my wife's (iPhone 6) phones to 10.1 the other night and held hers up to my ear. Now she has a fairly thick novelty flip case on the 6 but under the heavy load I could hear a faint hissing, no where near as loud as the 7 (though the case was muffling it) but still present.

Waughy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
Australia
What's the big deal?

The main issue with the static crackle is that in some phones it can be heard when a video is recorded. If you were recording a baby sleeping or anything with little to no background noise, the interference does ruin the recording. If it didn't I wouldn't care about it as in normal use you can't hear it.

I don't think there should be no noise at all, but some are too noisy IMO. I tried my 6S+ before selling and it made the same noise, but was far quieter, and never picked up in any video I recorded with that phone.

Reactions: Wildo6882

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
The main issue with the static crackle is that in some phones it can be heard when a video is recorded. If you were recording a baby sleeping or anything with little to no background noise, the interference does ruin the recording. If it didn't I wouldn't care about it as in normal use you can't hear it.

I don't think there should be no noise at all, but some are too noisy IMO. I tried my 6S+ before selling and it made the same noise, but was far quieter, and never picked up in any video I recorded with that phone.

Exactly. The only issue I have is the sound during recordings (which does also show up in Live Photos). It can really ruin a video. My $1000 phone shouldn't ruin my videos with background static and noises.

Reactions: DianaMR

Waughy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
Australia
does also show up in Live Photos

I've noticed this too. Seems to be just at the end of the short clip for me, same sound on each photo. I think it's the phone adding location info to the photo, so using GPS.

Just tried 2 more vids with some background noise (machines and radio, not overly loud) and I can't say I can hear any static noise. I'll try again later when I can get a quiet room, but I'm starting to think it's only a problem when there are other background activities going on, like an app download. I'll do a few vids with no background stuff going on and see how they go.

I've logged another case with Apple to document this phone is no better than the one it replaced. If I decide to go back again I'll push for a week 42 or newer, they seem to be much better.

Still no word from Apple, a shame they haven't come out with something official by now. Surely they don't expect it to go away if they just ignore it.

Reactions: Wildo6882

deadlystriker

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2011
Week 42 ip7 32gb

Faint crackling sound when running benchmark

Also was generally speaking to apple employee. They have asked their engineers who said its a normal noise and non issue.

Non-issue? So having coil whine/hiss in recorded videos to them is normal for a $1000++ phone? I have been told the same bull***t at an apple store and one of them even tried to convince me it's "ambient noise, because the iPhone is so advanced with 4 built in microphones". Needless to say I didn't accept that crap and returned my 7 plus on the spot.

My wife and I recently had a baby girl and the iPhone 7 plus's camera was a huge selling point for us. We were so disappointed when videos of our baby were filled with coil whine and loud hissing. After going through 3 iPhones all with the issue we gave up and returned for refund.

Have been monitoring this thread for a month now hoping for some announcement from Apple and it's appalling they have kept silent and even tried to convince people that it's "normal". Some people mentioned a few pages back that Apple support had told them this is a software issue (I'm not convinced) and will be fixed in an upcoming update? Well 10.1 is out and people are still reporting hissing issues.

I still want a 7 Plus, I just want one that works. No way am I paying top dollar for a phone marketed for it's brilliant camera and then having to accept the hissing in videos.

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
Non-issue? So having coil whine/hiss in recorded videos to them is normal for a $1000++ phone? I have been told the same bull***t at an apple store and one of them even tried to convince me it's "ambient noise, because the iPhone is so advanced with 4 built in microphones". Needless to say I didn't accept that crap and returned my 7 plus on the spot.

My wife and I recently had a baby girl and the iPhone 7 plus's camera was a huge selling point for us. We were so disappointed when videos of our baby were filled with coil whine and loud hissing. After going through 3 iPhones all with the issue we gave up and returned for refund.

Have been monitoring this thread for a month now hoping for some announcement from Apple and it's appalling they have kept silent and even tried to convince people that it's "normal". Some people mentioned a few pages back that Apple support had told them this is a software issue (I'm not convinced) and will be fixed in an upcoming update? Well 10.1 is out and people are still reporting hissing issues.

I still want a 7 Plus, I just want one that works. No way am I paying top dollar for a phone marketed for it's brilliant camera and then having to accept the hissing in videos.

Awesome response! This is exactly how I feel. I've got my second iPhone 7 Plus now that does the exact same thing as my first. My wife is pregnant with twins and I'm not going to have my $1000+ phone ruin videos of them. I still want a 7 Plus but I'm not going to do it until I know Apple is doing something about this.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011

Ah crap. Mine does it too. :(
Is apple replacing phones with this problem? Are people getting replacement phones that don't have the ticking/crackling in their videos?

syphern

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008

honestly dude i feel you. But apple has stop giving a s*** about its customers. The legendary customer service is dead as i experienced over the past month. I was told by several geniuses that my haptics not working is a software issue. I wasted so much time around 9 hours trying to convince them its not and i tried resetting from new etc etc. Eventually exhanged and and voila new one works fine... so yeh eff apple to be honest im slowly moving my eco system

Reactions: deadlystriker
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.