Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badstraw

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2016
I'm getting the hissing sound when I'm recording a video on a quiet room, but I can't hear anything at all if I put my ear on the apple logo, even I'm playing a game.

Today is the 15th day after I got it, am I gonna get a refurbished one? Do they have really strict policies?

I would be really unhappy if they give me the white box. :(

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

badstraw

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2016
3DMark Slingshot is a good one to get it buzzing, if it has the issue.

Ok I downloaded the app.

I can barely hear a clicking sound coming from the processor right underneath the camera, but since the phone gets hot during the test, it's almost impossible to push my ear against the phone to listen to the noise.

I guess I wouldn't notice anything while I'm playing a game.

Waughy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
Australia
I can barely hear a clicking sound coming from the processor right underneath the camera

Put the top right corner to your ear, not the Apple logo, and not under the camera. Top corner where the camera isn't, that's the spot you'll hear it. If you can't hear it there, or it's very faint, your phone is a good one. The noise in the video is more than likely white noise that's highlighted by the mic's sensitivity being high. Nothing you can do about that, Apple will have to sort that one.

badstraw

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2016
Put the top right corner to your ear, not the Apple logo, and not under the camera. Top corner where the camera isn't, that's the spot you'll hear it. If you can't hear it there, or it's very faint, your phone is a good one. The noise in the video is more than likely white noise that's highlighted by the mic's sensitivity being high. Nothing you can do about that, Apple will have to sort that one.

It's really weird then, because during the test the only spot where the phone gets super hot is under the camera, and the static-clicking noise comes from the same spot.
I can hear the noise clearly only if I push the phone against my ear.

If I put my ear on the top right, I can't hear anything at all.

3ece949f582c2be55b30bb251cabaad1.jpg

Waughy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
Australia
It's really weird then, because the only spot where the phone gets super hot is under the camera, and the static-clicking noise comes from the same spot

Ok. Mine does get warm in the same spot as yours, but I wouldn't say it gets too hot. The noise on my last two phones was definitely up around that top corner, as marked in the pic above. My current one makes the noise in the same spot, but it's almost inaudible it's that quiet.

badstraw

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2016
Ok. Mine does get warm in the same spot as yours, but I wouldn't say it gets too hot. The noise on my last two phones was definitely up around that top corner, as marked in the pic above. My current one makes the noise in the same spot, but it's almost inaudible it's that quiet.

Thank you @Waughy !

And testing the video issue..

This is the noise that I'm getting while I'm recording a video:

So... do you think it's normal? I got an iphone 7 plus week 40.

I don't know if I need to get a replacement or every single phone does that.

chronoflash

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2016
If that noise upsets you, Apple will probably replace your device as they seek customer's full satisfaction. But you will get a phone with the same issue, if not more issues. If you can live with it, then keep it, as long as your phone runs properly. Every single iPhone 7 produces a static noise, that's a fact. As for your phone getting hot, that's another issue, that can result in the death of the product. Some examples have occurred.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
Thank you @Waughy !

And testing the video issue..

This is the noise that I'm getting while I'm recording a video:

So... do you think it's normal? I got an iphone 7 plus week 40.

I don't know if I need to get a replacement or every single phone does that.
Yours sounds better than mine! On mine you can hear the ticking sound on the video just as you can (and as loud) when you put it up to your ear! On yours I don't hear the ticking at all. I maybe just hear the faint sound of the normal processor sound. Maybe I do need to send mine in.

I thought everyone's could hear the ticking on the videos but I guess not. Yours is probably one of the good ones.

badstraw

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2016
If that noise upsets you, Apple will probably replace your device as they seek customer's full satisfaction. But you will get a phone with the same issue, if not more issues. If you can live with it, then keep it, as long as your phone runs properly. Every single iPhone 7 produces a static noise, that's a fact. As for your phone getting hot, that's another issue, that can result in the death of the product. Some examples have occurred.

Actually the phone gets hot only if I test it with 3Dmark slingshot, but it runs cool most of the time.
Today is my 14th day after I got it, so if I want to get it replaced it has to be today.

Like I was telling you guys... the only thing that I notice is the white sound or static noise when I record a video, but if you say that every iPhone 7 produces the same noise, then I guess it's pointless to get it replaced by apple.

Yours sounds better than mine! On mine you can hear the ticking sound on the video just as you can (and as loud) when you put it up to your ear! On yours I don't hear the ticking at all. I maybe just hear the faint sound of the normal processor sound. Maybe I do need to send mine in.

I thought everyone's could hear the ticking on the videos but I guess not. Yours is probably one of the good ones.
Knock on wood, I hope mine stays like that..

If I put it up to my ear I can't hear anything, unless I run 3Dmark slingshot and press it firmly against my ear. When I record a video I don't hear anything at all, but the white - static noise when I'm in a quiet room.

Mine is a bit quieter but the previous one was noisier than yours. Would keep it
Would you be so kind to record a video to see how good is yours?
I think mine should be fine then..

itscomplicated

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2016
Actually the phone gets hot only if I test it with 3Dmark slingshot, but it runs cool most of the time.
Today is my 14th day after I got it, so if I want to get it replaced it has to be today.

Like I was telling you guys... the only thing that I notice is the white sound or static noise when I record a video, but if you say that every iPhone 7 produces the same noise, then I guess it's pointless to get it replaced by apple.

Knock on wood, I hope mine stays like that..

If I put it up to my ear I can't hear anything, unless I run 3Dmark slingshot and press it firmly against my ear. When I record a video I don't hear anything at all, but the white - static noise when I'm in a quiet room.

Would you be so kind to record a video to see how good is yours?
I think mine should be fine then..

My Week 42 behaves exactly like this .

itsray

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2016
sorry if i offend anyone.

but for 1. you shouldn't be putting your ear to the back of your phone, you're just trying to find issues.

2. if it isn't obvious why worry?
3. if it bothers you that much in normal situations take it to an apple store.

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

itscomplicated

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2016
Is this the latest model available? I mean is there a way to get a week 43 iPhone?

No Idea . My Week 39 was too noisy ( hissing , clicking and everything got recorded in the video ) , this one is quieter but gets so hot ( when running benchmark) that its not comfortable to hold , without a case,
[doublepost=1478027666][/doublepost]
sorry if i offend anyone.

but for 1. you shouldn't be putting your ear to the back of your phone, you're just trying to find issues.

2. if it isn't obvious why worry?
3. if it bothers you that much in normal situations take it to an apple store.

1. The noise doesn't matter to me , if apple says that its normal and doesn't not reduce the life of the phone.
2. Taking to Apple store doesn't guarantee you get a new phone , and people withing 14 days want to decide what to do ?

Just here to find what is "Normal".

emix2001

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2015
Italy
Is it quieter or is it totally silent ?

Not totally silent, but mic gain is exaggerated. The "snap" effect is due to alc adjustment. After sensitivity is adjusted you won't notice that white noise increase. This is a software choice. The same video taken with iPad or galaxy is less noisy but half the output level.

itscomplicated

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2016
Not totally silent, but mic gain is exaggerated. The "snap" effect is due to alc adjustment. After sensitivity is adjusted you won't notice that white noise increase. This is a software choice. The same video taken with iPad or galaxy is less noisy but half the output level.

Can you pls run the 3dmark ( extreme) and confirm if your cellphone gets to a very high temperature on the back.

Last edited:

Waughy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
Australia
This is the noise that I'm getting while I'm recording a video

Sorry for the delay, just got out of bed (7.30am in Oz). Did a video like yours with the same result. As others have said that's more to do with mic gain, and should be a software fix for it. Sounds like our phones are pretty much the same, so I'd say you got a good one. The static crackle type sound is very obvious when it's too noisy.
[doublepost=1478033155][/doublepost]
you shouldn't be putting your ear to the back of your phone, you're just trying to find issues.

It's the best way to gauge if the noise is bad enough to potentially affect videos. If you can hear it clearly then the chances of it being picked up in video is pretty good.

Some can be heard from a couple of centimetres away, my last one I could hear if I held the phone up to my ear as if on a call with the screen to my ear.

chronoflash

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2016
The next iPhone will soon launch and people will keep debating whether or not their iPhone 7 is making a static noise. Does not make sense. Hope the next 2017 iPhone will berry iPhone 7 forever, and Apple will prove that they've still got what it takes to make nice things.

ilifecomputer

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
CA
seems to me the real test and concern is whether or not your video picks up really bad white noise and hiss. worrying about putting your ear to a phone's back and listening for noise? comon now...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.