Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r.d

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2007
Etobicoke, ON
I called Apple to ask for compensation for the PayBright issues LoL... they gave me a 15% off coupon code valid for accessories only.

Screen Shot 2022-09-09 at 18.35.11.png

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
Here's a screenshot of a family member who did a PayBright purchase a few months ago with a trade-in. You can see the tax amount is based on the net amount from the start:

$1,019.00 - $290.00 = $729.00 x 13% = $94.77

View attachment 2055933

I have a feeling Apple and/or Paybright isn't showing the correct about because it's a pre-order. It should all work out once the phone ships or is picked up, but we'll see what happens. What a disaster this year.
Yeah it’s definitely a disaster lol

I wasted an hour on the phone with apple and paybright trying to cancel just the device trade in but got nowhere. I’ll probably just eat the $90 or hopefully the taxes get applied normally. I did authorize $221 to be taken from my bank account though so I’m like 30% hopeful that the actual withdrawal amount changes lol

Reactions: r.d

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
This is like the online version of queueing chaos, but much worse.

Maybe part of the strategy, to always have some launch/pre-order day chaos and buzz. They say people who slogged through some pain to get a thing will appreciate it even more.

• Haha

jmc111

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2021
Looks like I am going to cancel the deep purple. After seeing some more shots on the internet, i am going back to either Silver or Gold. Purple just a little too dull and grey depending on the light. If I am going to pay this kind of money, need to get the colour right.

jmchicago

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2009
Yup, you only pay tax on the net total after trade-in when done so in the same transaction (same way as trading in a car, or any other product).

Example:

New iPhone: $1,200
Trade-in Value ($700)
Net Total: $500
Tax: $500 x Tax amount

So in this example, you only pay tax on $500 instead of $1,200.

I’m trying to trade in and upgrade from my 13 pro but it looks like the Apple Store is charging the full price of the device plus taxes. Then they will take off the price of the trade in once they receive it? I just want to make sure I would still get the tax savings and not just a credit of the cost of the trade in. Can anyone confirm?

MG999

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
Yeah that’s originally what I thought but then r.d brought up the CRA rule and someone confirmed that they were charged taxes on the net amount.

I’ll probably just not return the old device and have apple adjust my total owed lol
Thats exactly what Im thinking. They will charge us for the full amount anyway. We just wont get the credit for trade in after.

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
Thats exactly what Im thinking. They will charge us for the full amount anyway. We just wont get the credit for trade in after.
Yeah I’m just gonna eat the $90 if they charge the full tax and chalk it up to a lesson learned.

If I just keep my old phone then paybright will charge me the full amount of the trade in, in a lump sum. So in essence I’d only be able to finance $1k of the $1700 total. They wouldn’t adjust my monthly payment if the trade in isn’t returned.

I might need to report paybright to the CRA lolll. But I wonder how much they’ll care that too much tax is being collected as opposed to too little, assuming paybright is remitting all taxes to the CRA.

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
6628A64B-313B-46E6-874D-19A7EC28920E.png

Just got my processing order from apple and now they’re not only trolling me with the full tax value they randomly said I paid $389 via paybright. There’s no combination of payments I can see that totals $389 🤣

Enough trolling for today apple/paybright!

Edit - $1044 less $655 = $389 lol. So random. So do I get credit for trading in 2 iPhones @ $655 each? 🤣

MG999

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
I did not use pay bright, but just pay via CC. And so I think I will get charged the tax on the original amount. Esp based on the image someone shared earlier. It clearly says they will charge tax on the original amount then you get credited only the trade in value. Sucks, but I guess it is what it is.

When you say eat the $90? is there some sort of charge for not sending the trade in in ?

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
I did not use pay bright, but just pay via CC. And so I think I will get charged the tax on the original amount. Esp based on the image someone shared earlier. It clearly says they will charge tax on the original amount then you get credited only the trade in value. Sucks, but I guess it is what it is.

When you say eat the $90? is there some sort of charge for not sending the trade in in ?
Eat $90 as in my trade in is $655 so I was expecting around that in tax savings. It’s actually $85.15. So I was expecting savings of $740.15 from my trade in as opposed to $655.

If you don’t send in the trade in and paid via CC they just won’t apply the trade in value as a refund back to your credit card.

If you don’t return the trade in and you paid via paybright, paybright will just hit your payment method for the full value of the trade in as opposed to adjusting the monthly payment to be based on the full new device value (so in my case I’d still pay $43.50 per month but get hit with a $655 one time charge).

Reactions: MG999

EnchantedPlague

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2011
Never using PayBright again. Horrible process. Placed the order right at 8am. Spent an hour trying to get the PayBright site to load. Finally worked and got all the way to the end of the process before it threw an error. Now 12 hours later the order on the Apple site still shows awaiting payment. The PayBright site shows the order and my credit card was charged the taxes. Apple support is useless and says they can’t even see my order. Frustrating. Anyone else have their order still show due for payment even after completing the PayBright process?

r.d

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2007
Etobicoke, ON

In the last year, myself and family have done trade-ins with Apple for iPhones, a MacBook, and an Apple Watch. For purchases without PayBright, the total amount plus tax was charged upon order, and then once the trade-in was received by Apple, I received the full trade-in amount plus tax as a refund.

Mavik91

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2022
Looks like I am going to cancel the deep purple. After seeing some more shots on the internet, i am going back to either Silver or Gold. Purple just a little too dull and grey depending on the light. If I am going to pay this kind of money, need to get the colour right.
At first I thought of ordering the purple, but changed my mind for the space black. I want to keep the 14 Pro Max a few years and I think the space black will age better.

roberthodgson

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
Unfortunately no Luck in ordering for pickup this time tried right from 8:00Am no pro max‘s in the GTA if one appeared it was gone before I could finish selecting trade in and apple care on well will wait till release date

MG999

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
In the last year, myself and family have done trade-ins with Apple for iPhones, a MacBook, and an Apple Watch. For purchases without PayBright, the total amount plus tax was charged upon order, and then once the trade-in was received by Apple, I received the full trade-in amount plus tax as a refund.
Thanks. Okay that is good to know. I guess I will just try the trade in this year and learn from the process

jmchicago

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2009
This is different from what you said earlier in the thread? That they should only be charging tax on the price of the new iPhone minus the trade in value. Just want to confirm before considering trade in.

r.d

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2007
Etobicoke, ON
This is different from what you said earlier in the thread? That they should only be charging tax on the price of the new iPhone minus the trade in value. Just want to confirm before considering trade in.
That’s correct. You should only pay tax on the net difference.

From past experience, Apple does this in two different ways:

(1) Order online with trade-in and no PayBright:
You are charged the full amount plus tax, and refunded the trade-in amount plus tax once Apple receives the trade-in.

(2) Order online with trade-in and PayBright:
The trade-in value is applied instantly. If you don’t return your trade-in, you will then be billed for the trade-in amount.

Both methods result in the same total. Just so happens that the PayBright option applies the trade-in instantly. But the end result (total) is the same.

Reactions: MG999

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
B25041BE-98C5-4E0A-977C-09F601869265.jpeg

Here’s the answer. Last sentence. Yes it goes against CRA tax guidelines.

So consider yourself lucky if you get tax savings on the trade in value because it clearly goes against what’s in Apple’s trade in FAQs.

r.d - maybe they changed their process because you clearly showed tax savings on the trade in.

r.d

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2007
Etobicoke, ON
View attachment 2056143
Here’s the answer. Last sentence. Yes it goes against CRA tax guidelines.

So consider yourself lucky if you get tax savings on the trade in value because it clearly goes against what’s in Apple’s trade in FAQs.

r.d - maybe they changed their process because you clearly showed tax savings on the trade in.
I work in Finance. To my knowledge, there has not been any changes to CRA’s method of accounting for trade-ins. I just did a trade-in in May for a Mac and got the tax savings.

It‘s possible Apple’s wording is incorrect. Some US states treat trade-ins differently, and maybe Apple is just using a generic message.

But hey, maybe something did change! I’ll dig a little deeper into it.

Reactions: nasa25

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
I work in Finance. To my knowledge, there has not been any changes to CRA’s method of accounting for trade-ins. I just did a trade-in in May for a Mac and got the tax savings.

It‘s possible Apple’s wording is incorrect. Some US states treat trade-ins differently, and maybe Apple is just using a generic message.

But hey, maybe something did change! I’ll dig a little deeper into it.
Yes you’re correct the CRA accounting method has not changed. It’ll be interesting to see if everyone gets the tax savings because if not it clearly violates CRA tax guidelines as you’ve stated.

I work in finance too but not in tax so tax isn’t really my strong suit lol

CDC9A38B-7F6F-46FF-841E-E286D7219F44.png

• Love

jmchicago

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2009
That’s correct. You should only pay tax on the net difference.

From past experience, Apple does this in two different ways:

(1) Order online with trade-in and no PayBright:
You are charged the full amount plus tax, and refunded the trade-in amount plus tax once Apple receives the trade-in.

(2) Order online with trade-in and PayBright:
The trade-in value is applied instantly. If you don’t return your trade-in, you will then be billed for the trade-in amount.

Both methods result in the same total. Just so happens that the PayBright option applies the trade-in instantly. But the end result (total) is the same.
I see, thank you for clarifying :)

• Love
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.