Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I, too, have made an intro video;

This is a low-res 854 x 480 version, I also have a slightly higher 960 x 540 version as well so that both ideally would work on PowerPC machines smoothly. By request, I can also make higher-res HD versions since I did it on FCPX on my MBP.

Reactions: gavinstubbs09

Adamscomputerrepair

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2015

This is a low-res 854 x 480 version, I also have a slightly higher 960 x 540 version as well so that both ideally would work on PowerPC machines smoothly. By request, I can also make higher-res HD versions since I did it on FCPX on my MBP.

Yours feels like a more modern take on an OS X welcome video. I like it.

Reactions: Gamer9430

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2016
It would be great if someone could make an installer for the final pack that does all the patching automatically, then reboots the Mac, but before going to desktop, it plays this. I'm sure that would be a little too much to ask, but that would be really cool.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida

Hidden Rocks (Feat. Torsten Kinsella) by The Echelon Effect, one of my personal favorite songs!

Orizence

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2014
It would be great if someone could make an installer for the final pack that does all the patching automatically, then reboots the Mac, but before going to desktop, it plays this. I'm sure that would be a little too much to ask, but that would be really cool.
My plan was to find out how to modify OSX installers by adding extra packages, so you can install OS X fresh with all the modifications and hopefully have it fit on a SL DVD, I might be over my head though ( i cant remember how to anything like that anymore... But there were guides on how to do it)

Adamscomputerrepair

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2015
My plan was to find out how to modify OSX installers by adding extra packages, so you can install OS X fresh with all the modifications and hopefully have it fit on a SL DVD, I might be over my head though ( i cant remember how to anything like that anymore... But there were guides on how to do it)

That's against apples terms of use

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
That's against apples terms of use
Most of the stuff we do here is against Apple's terms. I don't think they care about ancient software that a small minority of users are still hacking away at... if that was the case, MacintoshGarden would have been shut down ages ago.

Also, terms of use don't mean anything that would affect what he was trying to do. It means that if you go outside of them, you void your warrantee, and no PowerPC has an apple warrantee still.

Last edited:

Orizence

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2014
If they cared (which they really don't) every custom distro of those DVDs for the OSX86 project (iAtkos, iDeneb, Niresh, etc*) would be taken down, all the hackintosh sites and forums would have been taken down by now, and they would make a product key and activation system to prevent things like that.

But if I happened to do something like that, I would not tell people where to find it (not in the public at least), I wouldnt sell it, and there will be no links on here. Apple simply wouldnt care if I made a custom ISO of a OS they abandoned years ago with no support left today, and a market share of less than 1% iirc. If they did care as Gamer9430 said Macintosh Garden which already has copys of many apple os's and such would have already been gone

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Well, it would be helpful for us if you did make it to aid in simplifying the install process of the theme ;)

Orizence

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2014
Well, it would be helpful for us if you did make it to aid in simplifying the install process of the theme ;)
Its been so long since I modified a OS X dvd like that and I dont remember where to even start, but if I cant figure it out again; Ill just make a installer but im sure somebody way more skilled than me could do that and do a even better job :)

But hey if a DVD does pop up somewhere somehow then what could we do ;)

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
I actually really love the idea of making a custom distro, it would be f***ing amazing to install "macOS Sierra" on a G4/G5 and end up with a result that really looks like the Intel version.

Pack first, then we can shoot for a full installer :)

Too bad it isn't easy like the good ol' days of XP and Vista with nLite!!

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
Its amazing how far this thread has come in the past few weeks! I remember when it was just icons, and now we're talking about a full on PPC "macOS Sierra" installer! This is precisely why the PPC subform is the best one around!

Adamscomputerrepair

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2015
Ah what the hell. Let's do it. Let me know if there's anything I can do to contribute. I can test stuff if need be. Also if you guys need a how to guide once everything is ready, I can do that too.

Orizence

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2014
So ive been digging arround the OS X installer for a little while... Ive discovered to things one good one bad, editing the actual appearence of the installer is going to be easy (just basic NIB editing), but now I have to remember how to actually edit and add packages to the installer, its been months and months since I played around with this and I might need some help. But Ill get back to it after fishing tomorrow and maybe make some progress; nothing is getting added yet, im just trying to remember how this all works

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
I have a very small portion of time I can actually do anything today, was busy all day restoring an old Lincoln Electric AC welder that has sat for over 20 years, and haul stuff to the dump that was laying around the house.

Tomorrow I'm going out to (hopefully) finish the engine swap in my chevy, so I'm pretty sure that will eat up my entire day and every day after work this week I will be busy fixing some things for my dodge (ordered over $1,000 worth in parts) so I'll have little time. Install guide is pretty much finished, just need to add in pictures and a few little changes, then see if we can do anything with the streetlights once I have files from @SourceSunTom to make a good, solid first release.

Then work on enhancements and a full fledged installer for the pack and a full OS!

This new OS would include TenFourFox (with mods), Bittorrent, Spotify, and a few other programs. Maybe I should take the "Software Update" to the next level by integrating it with the website to say "Hey look, a new TenFourFox update" or whatever the program is. I don't think it would be hard to do, possibly create an all new software update app that ties into an .xml file that I can change the version, app info, requirements, and a download link.

As long as Apple doesn't sue me I think we will be okay, all we are trying to do is work with old equipment to gain the most from it!

Adamscomputerrepair

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2015
I have a very small portion of time I can actually do anything today, was busy all day restoring an old Lincoln Electric AC welder that has sat for over 20 years, and haul stuff to the dump that was laying around the house.

Tomorrow I'm going out to (hopefully) finish the engine swap in my chevy, so I'm pretty sure that will eat up my entire day and every day after work this week I will be busy fixing some things for my dodge (ordered over $1,000 worth in parts) so I'll have little time. Install guide is pretty much finished, just need to add in pictures and a few little changes, then see if we can do anything with the streetlights once I have files from @SourceSunTom to make a good, solid first release.

Then work on enhancements and a full fledged installer for the pack and a full OS!

This new OS would include TenFourFox (with mods), Bittorrent, Spotify, and a few other programs. Maybe I should take the "Software Update" to the next level by integrating it with the website to say "Hey look, a new TenFourFox update" or whatever the program is. I don't think it would be hard to do, possibly create an all new software update app that ties into an .xml file that I can change the version, app info, requirements, and a download link.

As long as Apple doesn't sue me I think we will be okay, all we are trying to do is work with old equipment to gain the most from it!

I fox boxed Word, Excel, and PowerPoint online.They work well enough. Perhaps include that since office 08 has nothing on the new 2016. Also I keep trying Spotify web player because the app is getting worse. Surely there's a way to play it in HTML5.

ifrit05

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
Near Detroit, MI. USA
So ive been digging arround the OS X installer for a little while... Ive discovered to things one good one bad, editing the actual appearence of the installer is going to be easy (just basic NIB editing), but now I have to remember how to actually edit and add packages to the installer, its been months and months since I played around with this and I might need some help. But Ill get back to it after fishing tomorrow and maybe make some progress; nothing is getting added yet, im just trying to remember how this all works

IIRC, you can edit packages with Pacifist and do things with the "Distribution" file inside, like add your machine to the whitelist, or (more relevant) add check boxes of optional installs for the Installer App, and add links to where those .pkg's are on disc. I think you may need to edit the "bom" files as well. It's been a while since I've done this though so I may be wrong.

Remember all those extra packages OSx86/Hackintosh discs used to have back in the day during the Tiger/Leopard days before everyone went "vanilla"? Sort of like that.

Orizence

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2014
IIRC, you can edit packages with Pacifist and do things with the "Distribution" file inside, like add your machine to the whitelist, or (more relevant) add check boxes of optional installs for the Installer App, and add links to where those .pkg's are on disc. I think you may need to edit the "bom" files as well. It's been a while since I've done this though so I may be wrong.

Remember all those extra packages OSx86/Hackintosh discs used to have back in the day during the Tiger/Leopard days before everyone went "vanilla"? Sort of like that.
Yeah!! Thats exactly what I was thinking of doing! Im thinking of making the ultimate PowerPC leopard DVD with some of the latest apps like VLC and such, but also have the Theme pack included as a optional install. But also maybe have the installer themed as well.

I remember a few years ago playing with one of the older tiger osx86 DVDs (Im pretty sure it was one of the XxX releases) and it was just loaded with drivers and apps.

I dont remember ever using pacifist, but if that what will allow me to get my job done than that's what ill try
[doublepost=1468774674][/doublepost]Well I made some progress ;) now all I have to do is make some .PKG files and buy some dvd's. But pfft who needs those printer drivers (or languages)

Adamscomputerrepair

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2015
Yeah!! Thats exactly what I was thinking of doing! Im thinking of making the ultimate PowerPC leopard DVD with some of the latest apps like VLC and such, but also have the Theme pack included as a optional install. But also maybe have the installer themed as well.

I remember a few years ago playing with one of the older tiger osx86 DVDs (Im pretty sure it was one of the XxX releases) and it was just loaded with drivers and apps.

I dont remember ever using pacifist, but if that what will allow me to get my job done than that's what ill try
[doublepost=1468774674][/doublepost]Well I made some progress ;) now all I have to do is make some .PKG files and buy some dvd's. But pfft who needs those printer drivers (or languages)

If we have to use Dual Layer DVD's, so be it. Unless we could yaboot a flashdrive. That may be going too far lol.

ifrit05

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
Near Detroit, MI. USA

Found something a lot easier actually, it's called instaDMG. It allows you to add updates and extra packages to a base install pkg/dmg. That would be exactly what we would need for a custom community PPC disc/image.

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=3683

If we have to use Dual Layer DVD's, so be it. Unless we could yaboot a flashdrive. That may be going too far lol.

No, Yaboot is a boot manager for Linux. OS X has native support for restoring a bootable disk image to a flash drive anyways.

Orizence

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2014
The thing is the OS X installer uses PKG files and installs most things independently, what this looks like it does is make a fresh install of os x into a dmg to deploy to other macs.
[doublepost=1468782410][/doublepost]
Theres no need for that, I just don't have any dl-dvds or a burner. But I don't know where that YaBoot idea came from, OS X already has its own boot loader ;)
[doublepost=1468782689][/doublepost]Also if I remember correctly you can make it so that you can make different packages visible to be checked/unchecked so you can choose to install things like chess, but I'm a bit busy right now, ill try later tonight.
[doublepost=1468782817][/doublepost]
I actually really love the idea of making a custom distro, it would be f***ing amazing to install "macOS Sierra" on a G4/G5 and end up with a result that really looks like the Intel version.

Pack first, then we can shoot for a full installer :)

Too bad it isn't easy like the good ol' days of XP and Vista with nLite!!
If anything I thought you would dislike the idea... No idea why.
But I agree first I need the pack to make real progress. Im in no rush so nobody else should be either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.