Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Raging09

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2016
Alright since it seems people want to create a OS X Installer I can help you create a bootable USB Drive.

To create a bootable USB Drive for PowerPC Macs you need a 8 or 16GB USB Drive (These are the only sizes I have tested but others may work), A Mac running Tiger or Leopard, And the DMG of the Mac OS X Leopard Installer.

(1) How to Create the Bootable USB
First mount the DMG of Mac OS X Installer by double clicking the file.
Then open Disk Utility and plug in your USB Drive.
Then select your USB Drive from the lefthand side of the window.
Go to the Erase tab and select "Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and name it "untitled".
Uncheck Mac OS 9 Drivers and hit Erase.
Wait for it to erase and then select the Partition tab.
Set " Volume Scheme" as 2 Partitions if your using a 16GB Drive or 1 Partition if you are using a 8GB drive
Now there should be 2 Squares if your using a 16GB Drive or one Square on the screen if your using a 8GB Drive on the screen.
Select the top one and name it "Installer". Set it as " Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".
If you have a 16GB Drive there should be another square. Click on it and name it "Install Location". Set it as " Mac OS Extended (Journaled). (This step isn't necessary if you have a 8GB Drive.)
Then select "Options" and select "Apple Partition Map" then hit OK
Finally hit Apply.

Now go to the "Restore" tab.
Drag "Installer" from the USB Drive into the Destination box.
Now Drag "Mac OS X Install DVD" into the Source box.
Check "Erase Destination" and hit "Restore". (This will take a VERY long time so be patient).

(2) Booting from the USB Drive
Now that you have prepared your USB Drive for OS X Installer plug the Drive into your Mac and then shutdown the machine.
Next hold down the Command, Option, O, and F keys down and press the power button of your Mac.
You should now be at a white screen with text on it.
Release the keys and type "boot ud:, \\:tbxi"
Press the Enter key on your keyboard to boot into the OS X Installer.

Now Install OS X as normal.

Orizence

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2014
Alright since it seems people want to create a OS X Installer I can help you create a bootable USB Drive.

To create a bootable USB Drive for PowerPC Macs you need a 8 or 16GB USB Drive (These are the only sizes I have tested but others may work), A Mac running Tiger or Leopard, And the DMG of the Mac OS X Leopard Installer.

(1) How to Create the Bootable USB
First mount the DMG of Mac OS X Installer by double clicking the file.
Then open Disk Utility and plug in your USB Drive.
Then select your USB Drive from the lefthand side of the window.
Go to the Erase tab and select "Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and name it "untitled".
Uncheck Mac OS 9 Drivers and hit Erase.
Wait for it to erase and then select the Partition tab.
Set " Volume Scheme" as 2 Partitions if your using a 16GB Drive or 1 Partition if you are using a 8GB drive
Now there should be 2 Squares if your using a 16GB Drive or one Square on the screen if your using a 8GB Drive on the screen.
Select the top one and name it "Installer". Set it as " Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".
If you have a 16GB Drive there should be another square. Click on it and name it "Install Location". Set it as " Mac OS Extended (Journaled). (This step isn't necessary if you have a 8GB Drive.)
Then select "Options" and select "Apple Partition Map" then hit OK
Finally hit Apply.

Now go to the "Restore" tab.
Drag "Installer" from the USB Drive into the Destination box.
Now Drag "Mac OS X Install DVD" into the Source box.
Check "Erase Destination" and hit "Restore". (This will take a VERY long time so be patient).

(2) Booting from the USB Drive
Now that you have prepared your USB Drive for OS X Installer plug the Drive into your Mac and then shutdown the machine.
Next hold down the Command, Option, O, and F keys down and press the power button of your Mac.
You should now be at a white screen with text on it.
Release the keys and type "boot ud:, \\:tbxi"
Press the Enter key on your keyboard to boot into the OS X Installer.

Now Install OS X as normal.
No.... you're a bit late ;) What were mostly talking about, is that for this theme some people want to make an installer so you can have the theme apply itself in its entirety and not have to modify everything yourself. What Im planning on doing is making a custom OS X dvd with not only the theme pre-applied, but also have extra essential PowerPC apps included as optional installs, so it will be the "ultimate powerPC os x dvd".

If you're on this forum you should already know how to make a bootable usb drive as there are a ton of topics about it already

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2016
I'm kinda thinking about modifying this pack, for my personal use, from macOS Sierra to Mac OS X Fuji, once it's released and I'm installing it on the iMac G5.
I mean, since we're already kinda making this an alternative dimension kind of thing, where Apple never dropped PowerPC and Sierra came to PPC, I might as well add that they never dropped the Mac OS X name. I'll just make a few small changes to rebrand every single mention of macOS Sierra to Mac OS X Fuji, change the Sierra logo in the About this Mac to a custom one I made for Fuji (used the ML wallpaper), change the wallpaper to the Mountain Lion Fuji wallpaper, et voila, I have Mac OS X Fuji :D

Orizence

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2014
I'm kinda thinking about modifying this pack, for my personal use, from macOS Sierra to Mac OS X Fuji, once it's released and I'm installing it on the iMac G5.
I mean, since we're already kinda making this an alternative dimension kind of thing, where Apple never dropped PowerPC and Sierra came to PPC, I might as well add that they never dropped the Mac OS X name. I'll just make a few small changes to rebrand every single mention of macOS Sierra to Mac OS X Fuji, change the Sierra logo in the About this Mac to a custom one I made for Fuji (used the ML wallpaper), change the wallpaper to the Mountain Lion Fuji wallpaper, et voila, I have Mac OS X Fuji :D
Thats actually not a bad idea really considering there already are a ton of concept wallpapers out there

Raging09

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2016
No.... you're a bit late ;) What were mostly talking about, is that for this theme some people want to make an installer so you can have the theme apply itself in its entirety and not have to modify everything yourself. What Im planning on doing is making a custom OS X dvd with not only the theme pre-applied, but also have extra essential PowerPC apps included as optional installs, so it will be the "ultimate powerPC os x dvd".

If you're on this forum you should already know how to make a bootable usb drive as there are a ton of topics about it already
The reason I mentioned it was because some people were mentioning using YaBoot and they didnt know the proper way to boot off of USB so I thought I would be helpful but I guess that was a complete waste of time. Once this theme is released I will never be on this forum EVER again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adamscomputerrepair

Adamscomputerrepair

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2015
The reason I mentioned it was because SOME people were mentioning using YaBoot so I was letting those people know how to do it but thanks for letting me know that writing that was a waste of my time.

The only reason I suggested yaboot was because honestly Open Firmware sucks.

But now I realize it's for Linux only.

My bad.

Orizence

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2014
The reason I mentioned it was because some people were mentioning using YaBoot and they didnt know the proper way to boot off of USB so I thought I would be helpful but I guess that was a complete waste of time. Once this theme is released I will never be on this forum EVER again.
It was a mistake, no worries :) Nobody told you to leave
[doublepost=1468802502][/doublepost]
The only reason I suggested yaboot was because honestly Open Firmware sucks.

But now I realize it's for Linux only.

My bad.
Yeah. YaBoot is the PowerPC bootloader for linux that is loaded through openfirmware. Yeah... Im not a big fan of dealing with openfirmware, but unfortunately its the nature of the beast

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2016
You can't repackage PKG files with Pacifist, this needs to be done with Xcode tools. I'll give it a crack, since I made an OS X Fuji welcome video (very simple video), and I want to see if I can make that play once OS X Leopard is installed, as well as fitting in a new default wallpaper. It's a bit of daunting task, but I might as well try. I have two partitions for a Leo install, a vanilla one and the one I'm experimenting with, so if things go horribly wrong I can reverse it.

Reactions: Adamscomputerrepair

Orizence

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2014
You can't repackage PKG files with Pacifist, this needs to be done with Xcode tools. I'll give it a crack, since I made an OS X Fuji welcome video (very simple video), and I want to see if I can make that play once OS X Leopard is installed, as well as fitting in a new default wallpaper. It's a bit of daunting task, but I might as well try. I have two partitions for a Leo install, a vanilla one and the one I'm experimenting with, so if things go horribly wrong I can reverse it.
Im already ahead of you ;) All you need is xcode as it has all the tools you need. Im currently adding the 10.5.8 combo update and Im going to install it on my mac mini. PM me if you want any help

ifrit05

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
Near Detroit, MI. USA
Yeah I remember making a custom install DVD back in the Tiger days but for the life of me I can't remember how to do it.

There was a lot of file editing involved so the installer would actually list the optional install items. I'll look into it again.

Orizence

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2014
Yeah I remember making a custom install DVD back in the Tiger days but for the life of me I can't remember how to do it.

There was a lot of file editing involved so the installer would actually list the optional install items. I'll look into it again.
I added all the packages and it will let me check and uncheck things but when i try to install it, it says the disk is damaged....

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2016
I added all the packages and it will let me check and uncheck things but when i try to install it, it says the disk is damaged....
I am running into this problem as well. I removed the printer packages, as well as any references to them in the OSInstall.mpkg's Distribution file, added my own "Fuji.mpkg" file to the folder, and added all the right references to it. I need to see if I can create a PKG instead of an MPKG, and if that helps. But it seems some other file in the Leopard installer might check for packages and deem the disk "damaged" due to the customization. What we need to figure out is how it does this, and how to make it skip checking or at least recognize that our custom disk is not damaged.

Adamscomputerrepair

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2015
I think it's time to get a hold of tonymacx86, niresh, the guys over at iAtkos and the like. They've been doing custom installers for years. Surely they know how to bypass this. And most of them are super friendly and like to help.

DISCLAIMER: I know the difference between a hackintosh and a custom install DVD but it really is the same basic principal.

Orizence

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2014
I am running into this problem as well. I removed the printer packages, as well as any references to them in the OSInstall.mpkg's Distribution file, added my own "Fuji.mpkg" file to the folder, and added all the right references to it. I need to see if I can create a PKG instead of an MPKG, and if that helps. But it seems some other file in the Leopard installer might check for packages and deem the disk "damaged" due to the customization. What we need to figure out is how it does this, and how to make it skip checking or at least recognize that our custom disk is not damaged.
Are you using Package Maker? its included in Xcode and it makes PKG files. But I'm also having issues with the installer thinking the disk is damaged....

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2016
Are you using Package Maker? its included in Xcode and it makes PKG files. But I'm also having issues with the installer thinking the disk is damaged....
I tried that, but it kept making MPKG files. I eventually moved on to "Packages", and made a raw PKG file. Still no dice.

Orizence

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2014
What version of Package Maker are you using?
Also did you add the size of the files are in Kilobytes at the bottom of the Distribution file? Thats what I forgot to do and im going to test it next
[doublepost=1468874033][/doublepost]
Are you booting off of USB? I never recall my USB installs asking for a disc check?
The older OS X installers were never made to be booted off of anything but DVD's so when something doesnt go as it planned it will tell you to check and clean the DVD, but I think its because there is a check that it is failing and it will then refuse to proceed, but it wont say the actual error so it defaults to saying the disk is dirty
[doublepost=1468874121][/doublepost]By the way Im starting a thread for this DVD Project im doing so the topic on this one can be strictly about the theme ;)

Adamscomputerrepair

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2015
Ok it's been a few days for me because I got a new Hackintosh in the mail (a $379 computer for $84!) and I've been working on it. Any update to the traffic lights yet? Just curious

Bloc-Mirrior

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2016
Hey ! I can't wait for the release !
I usually use a G5 ppc I try to make it flat ( especially the traffic light buttons ).
So I add "the hour" with geektool 2 and I find a flat/minimalist theme for firefox ( but work fine with tenfourfox 38.9.0 ).
I also Download Tenfourbird for a more modern mail app.

For the tenfourfox skin : https://www.twistermc.com/41555/firefox-minimal-dark-theme/
For geek tools 2 : http://geektool.fr.uptodown.com/mac
;)

Btw here is my Desktop with the geektool shell ( sorry for bad english ) :(
5490FC4EC4BD.png

Last edited:
Reactions: iModFrenzy

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
Hey ! I can't wait for the release !
I usually use a G5 ppc I try to make it flat ( especially the traffic light buttons ).
So I add "the hour" with geektool 2 and I find a flat/minimalist theme for firefox ( but work fine with tenfourfox 38.9.0 ).
I also Download Tenfourbird for a more modern mail app.

For the tenfourfox skin : https://www.twistermc.com/41555/firefox-minimal-dark-theme/
For geek tools 2 : http://geektool.fr.uptodown.com/mac
;)

Btw here is my Desktop with the geektool shell ( sorry for bad english ) :(
5490FC4EC4BD.png

Hey I received your email, I'll respond to that soon!

Anyway your setup looks good! I actually like the clock/date background. Maybe I should just become the "theme enthusiast" lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.