Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adamscomputerrepair

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2015
Did the stairs survive?

Somehow.
[doublepost=1468096217][/doublepost]Well, on to replacing the icons again. Fortunately I copied webkit, TFF, and Final cut over. The webkit and FCP icons survived. But yeah. It works now. I guess it was something I had done. Looks nice either way.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 245

Adamscomputerrepair

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2015
Well, I'm finished. What do you guys think?

2 things:

1: The App Store is actually a Fox Box to the PowerPC Archive.
2: The Microsoft Office apps are actually a Fox Box to Word, PowerPoint and Excel Online. Basically Office 2016 that works stupid well in a Fox Box.

My best friend just walked in the room and said quote: "Where the hell did you get a MacBook Pro?" You guys keep up the good work. I'll be here to test anything.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 294
Reactions: pochopsp

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
In an official beta test of the pack, glad to say its 99.9% working! Only thing that I couldn't get working was Notes (which Gavin mentioned wasn't working for him either), but I did get the dock and its effects, icons, Maps, Reminders, the "App Store", Photos, About This Mac, and (unseen here but) the blurred login screen background working. From my perspective, the next steps in completing this pack are fixing notes, getting more icons, fixing the traffic lights and overall theme of OS X, simplifying the install process, and getting some more details into About This Mac. I have to say, it looks really nice on my G5. I'm going to try installing it on my iBook and PowerBook G4 12in to see how it looks on a variety of different Macs.
Picture 4.png

Reactions: pochopsp

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Looking nice. Some next steps would be trying to edit the login NIB, like replacing the Apple logo, and working on the menu bar/title bars. I'm not sure how the title bars are rendered, but hopefully its a static image we can replace. The menu bar will be a bit of a hassle, since the text is beveled.

Slack for iOS Upload-5.jpg

Attachments

• AboutThisMac.nib.zip
    10.8 KB · Views: 466
Reactions: Gamer9430

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2016
You can edit the MacOSX.TIF file with GIMP. Then, just remove the Sierra logo, paste the PNG of the model of PPC Mac you have, center it, export the TIF file, and put that in the Resources folder. Boom, done.
Proof of concept:
img_20160710_004934.jpg

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
Remember guys - in the official pack it will not say Leopard anywhere under "About This Mac". This is a pack to cover that, not show what it really is :)
[doublepost=1468106584][/doublepost]
wouldn't it be nice if instead of that circular image of sierra mountains we put our mac image? like the ones that are on powerpc archive

As much as I'd love to, this wouldn't be easy as there are many different PPC models, it would have to be a static image and I would have to create separate "ATM" for the iMac G4, G5, Xserve, Mac mini, iBook, PowerBook, etc. Much more convenient to keep it the stock "macOS Sierra" image.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Remember guys - in the official pack it will not say Leopard anywhere under "About This Mac". This is a pack to cover that, not show what it really is :)
[doublepost=1468106584][/doublepost]

As much as I'd love to, this wouldn't be easy as there are many different PPC models, it would have to be a static image and I would have to create separate "ATM" for the iMac G4, G5, Xserve, Mac mini, iBook, PowerBook, etc. Much more convenient to keep it the stock "macOS Sierra" image.
Maybe just run an applescript to grab the pic out of CoreServices?

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
eb67e7a1b1a078928c68a104e5078d33.jpg
4aa093732a4583ec9c38d06ad3245770.jpg
3f50d8ba836d8c90c9699edf9431e5dc.jpg
aedf9162315f3c4a91528128e76bff0b.jpg

Themed 3 different Macs; iBook G4 12in 1.33GHz, PowerBook G4 12in 1.5GHz, and my PowerMac G5 2x2.3GHz. Here are some pictures to show the theme on a variety of different machines. It really does add a modern flair to them, breathing new life into machines that are 10+ years old.

Also, for those who are wondering what the Nick is insane folder is on all 3 of my Macs featured here, that is the name of the folder Gavin sent the theme to me in since I was insane to try and install it manually without any instruction whatsoever, which I was able to do until I couldn't figure out the dock. I then realized it needed to be in 2D mode :)

Adamscomputerrepair

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2015
This looks so beautiful.
[doublepost=1468122393][/doublepost]Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the traffic lights just icon photos? Can't we just replace them?

Raging09

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2016
This looks so beautiful.
[doublepost=1468122393][/doublepost]Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the traffic lights just icon photos? Can't we just replace them?
Yes but I believe you have to extract ArtFile.bin and then re-compile it. But I tried it a few months ago and I couldn't get it to work and ended up having to reinstall Leopard. Hopefully someone here can figure out how to replace them though. After all, the creator of the Mountain Leopard Theme DID figure it out so hopefully someone here can as well. I will do some research and let you guys know if I find anything though.
[doublepost=1468123698][/doublepost]OK I just found this tool. I'm not sure if it would be any help but it should let you modify ArtFile.bin.
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/103567-extract-leopard-ui-files/

Adamscomputerrepair

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2015
Yes but I believe you have to extract ArtFile.bin and then re-compile it. But I tried it a few months ago and I couldn't get it to work and ended up having to reinstall Leopard. Hopefully someone here can figure out how to replace them though. After all, the creator of the Mountain Leopard Theme DID figure it out so hopefully someone here can as well. I will do some research and let you guys know if I find anything though.
[doublepost=1468123698][/doublepost]OK I just found this tool. I'm not sure if it would be any help but it should let you modify ArtFile.bin.
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/103567-extract-leopard-ui-files/

No, it let's you mod SArtFile.bin which has traffic lights, but after changing their icons there's literally no change at all. Sorry guys, I tried.
[doublepost=1468126495][/doublepost]Also after trying to compile the lights, I had a screwed up About This Mac again. I switched to the macOS Leopard one. It's less cluttered, I like it. If it said Sierra instead of Leopard I think it would be perfect.

Raging09

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2016
Well sorry if I couldn't help you guys out. :( Hopefully if I do more research I can figure this thing out!

Raging09

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2016
Probably not because the theme was only meant for Tiger and as far as I can tell, It requires ShapeShifter which only runs in Tiger and lower. Also ShapeShifter has a free trial but then it has to be purchased but I don't believe its available for purchase anymore, sadly.

SourceSunTom

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2016
France
What file under CoreServices did you need to go into to pull the streetlight buttons?
The file path is : /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemAppearance.bundle/Contents/Resources/SystemAppearance.car
You can open this file with ThemeEngine
[doublepost=1468143941][/doublepost]
I'd love to but I know nothing about programming for the Mac.
Thats easy to do!, just create multiple images and then choose one at the installation
The thing is , i thing that keeping this image would be better to match the regular ATM
[doublepost=1468144055][/doublepost]
No, it let's you mod SArtFile.bin which has traffic lights, but after changing their icons there's literally no change at all. Sorry guys, I tried.
[doublepost=1468126495][/doublepost]Also after trying to compile the lights, I had a screwed up About This Mac again. I switched to the macOS Leopard one. It's less cluttered, I like it. If it said Sierra instead of Leopard I think it would be perfect.
I will try again, With multiple windows sizes, and everything , you can edit the wrong image
[doublepost=1468144131][/doublepost]
Probably not because the theme was only meant for Tiger and as far as I can tell, It requires ShapeShifter which only runs in Tiger and lower. Also ShapeShifter has a free trial but then it has to be purchased but I don't believe its available for purchase anymore, sadly.
ShapeShifter will not be required , it doesn't work on Leopard and is not as customisable as creating your own ArtBin
[doublepost=1468144653][/doublepost]

"Also after trying to compile the lights, I had a screwed up About This Mac again. I switched to the macOS Leopard one. It's less cluttered, I like it. If it said Sierra instead of Leopard I think it would be perfect."

I finally think to know the cause of problems for my About This Mac label location going crazy!

The code is messing up the label in the Nib , and if you don't have 2 or more drives (internal/external)
the "Start Up Disk" won't display the start up disk

Because i made it for when a start-up disk is displayed, if you don't have 2 drives , the labels will automatically be moved by the ATM code

Will look in it
If you wan't to try my original About This Mac,
Plug in a USB drive and the About This Mac should be perfect :D
[doublepost=1468146895][/doublepost]OK, I know what i'm going to do :D,
I have an Old core duo macbook pro running Snow leopard,
I'm going to downgrade it to leopard,
then use theme park on it (because it's an intel),
Finally copy the Artfile on a powerpc
[doublepost=1468147146][/doublepost]If you have a Macbook Pro (2006-2007-2008) you can do that (gavin, don't you have one ;) )
And i'm registered as a paid developer at apple , so i can get legaly and for free the Leopard ISO

Last edited:

Adamscomputerrepair

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2015
Can we rip the traffic lights from that grey theme? Would that work?
The file path is : /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemAppearance.bundle/Contents/Resources/SystemAppearance.car
You can open this file with ThemeEngine
[doublepost=1468143941][/doublepost]
Thats easy to do!, just create multiple images and then choose one at the installation
The thing is , i thing that keeping this image would be better to match the regular ATM
[doublepost=1468144055][/doublepost]
I will try again, With multiple windows sizes, and everything , you can edit the wrong image
[doublepost=1468144131][/doublepost]
ShapeShifter will not be required , it doesn't work on Leopard and is not as customisable as creating your own ArtBin
[doublepost=1468144653][/doublepost]

"Also after trying to compile the lights, I had a screwed up About This Mac again. I switched to the macOS Leopard one. It's less cluttered, I like it. If it said Sierra instead of Leopard I think it would be perfect."

I finally think to know the cause of problems for my About This Mac label location going crazy!

The code is messing up the label in the Nib , and if you don't have 2 or more drives (internal/external)
the "Start Up Disk" won't display the start up disk

Because i made it for when a start-up disk is displayed, if you don't have 2 drives , the labels will automatically be moved by the ATM code

Will look in it
If you wan't to try my original About This Mac,
Plug in a USB drive and the About This Mac should be perfect :D
[doublepost=1468146895][/doublepost]OK, I know what i'm going to do :D,
I have an Old core duo macbook pro running Snow leopard,
I'm going to downgrade it to leopard,
then use theme park on it (because it's an intel),
Finally copy the Artfile on a powerpc
[doublepost=1468147146][/doublepost]If you have a Macbook Pro (2006-2007-2008) you can do that (gavin, don't you have one ;) )
And i'm registered as a paid developer at apple , so i can get legaly and for free the Leopard ISO

BE CAREFUL compiling stuff on Intel for PPC. I made a custom black and white boot loader for leopard, moved it from my MacBook to my PPC, and didn't have leopard anymore

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Can we rip the traffic lights from that grey theme? Would that work?

BE CAREFUL compiling stuff on Intel for PPC. I made a custom black and white boot loader for leopard, moved it from my MacBook to my PPC, and didn't have leopard anymore
What do you mean, 'didnt have leopard anymore?'

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.