Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Remember that internet communities bias towards the "drama", as people that have issues are more likely to take voice due to them researchich those issues, seek out help and share, than those for whom stuff works.

I work at advertising/brand presentation in digital, and I know from inside how this works, when sales data show half million units sold, return/service data adds to 8% fault rate, but if you've looked at social media, you would assume the product is non-working junk because of how much louder those with issues are than those that don't.

Chilld the damm out. If your unit is screwed, return it and wait.

True though you do not want to be in another nvidia apple lawsuit that apple only admits fault years down the track with many users affected and expansive repairs

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
On my 13" non-TB it often happens when waking from sleep and usually when connected to an external screen rather than when the machine is doing something intensive, so I'm thinking the issue with mine is some sort of USB-C quirk rather than faulty hardware.

mujtaba.mir

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2014
Not sure if this behaviour on my 13 inch macbook is related to the problem you folks have, but any time I reopen a minimised VLC player, I get a layered genie VLC player that opens up. Attached a screenshot. Only happens with VLC, rest of the applications look fine and don't show any such signs.

Attachments

• IMG_3019.JPG
    IMG_3019.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 462

skaro

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2004
Mine does - especially when I'm running Parallels. Not sure I've seen the issue when Parallels isn't running.

It doesn't appear to be a heat issue. Unlocked mine this morning while it's cold, and a third of my desktop was covered by a red rectangle! I'm hoping this points more towards a driver issue.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
AFAIR 8% is industry standard for consumer electronics, but my memory may be off here.

I got it, its called Six Sigma, here is an excerpt from Wikipedia:
"A six sigma process is one in which 99.99966% of all opportunities to produce some feature of a part are statistically expected to be free of defects (3.4 defective features per million opportunities)"

So a 8% of 100K units, is 8000 units, thats a lot of unhappy customers!

JanInLA

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2016
Not sure if this behaviour on my 13 inch macbook is related to the problem you folks have, but any time I reopen a minimised VLC player, I get a layered genie VLC player that opens up. Attached a screenshot. Only happens with VLC, rest of the applications look fine and don't show any such signs.
I don't think it's related to our problem. The VLC player always has some issues that are fixed in updates.

jayselle

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2006
I guess it's only a small number of units that are faulty.
[doublepost=1480088220][/doublepost]
Looks just like mine. Very sad. Should be addressed by the main page here on MacRumors.
[doublepost=1480088305][/doublepost]
I support this.
[doublepost=1480088444][/doublepost]
Use Adobe Media Encoder from Premiere to convert some video
[doublepost=1480088707][/doublepost]
I have a special order so I ordered another one (I had to pay for it) but it will arrive end of December. That's very frustrating after spending almost $4000
[doublepost=1480088813][/doublepost]
So you don't have the Radeon Pro 460????

We ordered three for our business. All three have had minor glitches. Mine has freaked out the worst connected to 2 4K displays. Another has had a kernel panic. And other has had minor glitches and flickering that self corrects after a few seconds.

JanInLA

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2016
UPDATE:
I just created a NEW project on this MBP and when rendering it didn't crash.
The other project that made the computer crash was created on an old MacPro with a NIVIDIA graphics card.
But I still have a weird graphics glitch when I restart.

toptip

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2013
Berlin, Germany
UPDATE:
I just created a NEW project on this MBP and when rendering it didn't crash.
The other project that made the computer crash was created on an old MacPro with a NIVIDIA graphics card.
But I still have a weird graphics glitch when I restart.

Hey Jan,
any chance that this whole thing is rather an Adobe issue ? Your latest post might imply that?!

I just can say that I tried to use After Effects 2015 in different iterations with my iMac 2012 and the latest nVidia drivers and had many graphic glitches (although not as drastic as yours).
In the end I used After Effects 2014 with an older driver for 2 commercial projects. And I am still on El Capitan (which is buggy as well).

What I am saying is maybe Adobe is the culprit because the system is "too new" ?? Both: your OS and the MBP (and the GPU).

I am really observing your thread because I am about to pull the trigger next friday for a fully maxed out BTO version...
I need a new machine since mine is 5 years old and is crawling although I have a Samsung SSD and 16GB RAM...

JanInLA

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2016
Hey Jan,
any chance that this whole thing is rather an Adobe issue ? Your latest post might imply that?!

I just can say that I tried to use After Effects 2015 in different iterations with my iMac 2012 and the latest nVidia drivers and had many graphic glitches (although not as drastic as yours).
In the end I used After Effects 2014 with an older driver for 2 commercial projects. And I am still on El Capitan (which is buggy as well).

What I am saying is maybe Adobe is the culprit because the system is "too new" ?? Both: your OS and the MBP (and the GPU).

I am really observing your thread because I am about to pull the trigger next friday for a fully maxed out BTO version...
I need a new machine since mine is 5 years old and is crawling although I have a Samsung SSD and 16GB RAM...
My old MacPro is 8 years old....
So I was desperate.
I don't know if it's a Adobe issue. I called them but it was on the first day the MBP was out in the wild and they didn't know what to say.
I then went to the Genius Bar and the guy who saw the above video urged me to get a new machine, so that's what I did: I ordered a new one. But it will take another month until I have it.
Until then I'm using the one with the problems.
My test today was not extensive but I rendered a 4K video out of Premiere and the also used Media Encoder to create proxies files. Nothing happened.
So it could be a setting that's carried over from the old project file that was created on my old machine with a NIVIDA card. So that would be an Adobe issue - at least kind of. I think it would be a software issue that they have to solve together with Apple.
What still worries me is that I have that little graphics glitch when I restart the machine. So I don't know, I have to compare when I get the new one. Or maybe somebody else will figure it out. We need to keep this thread alive.
Overall I fell so much in love with this MBP that I'm totally forgiving. Just want to know it's working properly eventually.
[doublepost=1480197962][/doublepost]
We ordered three for our business. All three have had minor glitches. Mine has freaked out the worst connected to 2 4K displays. Another has had a kernel panic. And other has had minor glitches and flickering that self corrects after a few seconds.
Not cool. All three? That's crazy! No wonder my little video has now 42000 views! What are you guys going to do? Have you talked to Apple yet?
[doublepost=1480198011][/doublepost]
That is good to hear. But does your VLC have the same issue?
I don't use it. Now I don't even want to try

gbwon

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2016
Mine did the same thing when I edit the photo with the photos app. and there is a short glitch when booting up.

Guy Mancuso

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
It looks like a connection is lose type of glitch. Can someone lift a side up or down or see if it still is doing it in different positions.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Fortunately any BTO option that has to be done on Apple's website is back ordered for 4-5 weeks, so I got the standard configuration with the 455 and so far no graphics issues.

terminator-jq

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
I'm seeing some screen tearing and blips on my 13" with Touchbar. This mainly happens when I'm using 3D applications like Maya or Unity. According to the poll on 9to5 Mac, it looks like a lot of people with various models are experiencing graphical glitches.

What's really interesting is that some people are getting the same issues on their 2015 models which leads me to believe that this is an issue with Sierra, not with the hardware. Hopefully that's true because I'd hate to have to replace my MBP and risk getting one with the same or worse issues.

SRTM

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2011
I get a weird graphical glitch on the login screen. For like 1 second, the bottom part of the screen will glitch out, then go back to normal.

triumph71

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2014
I get a weird graphical glitch on the login screen. For like 1 second, the bottom part of the screen will glitch out, then go back to normal.

As has been covered a bunch in this and other threads, what you are seeing is a known issue caused by FileVault Encryption being enabled. Disabling FileVault should sort this.

Lolzerbeam

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2016
Hey all, I've been having the same issues as you all with my 15 in 2.9 GHz, 460, 1TB MBP.

I get the checkered patterns and the computer becomes non responsive while exporting videos from Media Encoder. This happened to me 3 times.

9JPIsb6.jpg

However, I have been exporting using Metal instead of OpenCL, and I haven't had any problems. I know that Metal isn't preferred but it's a temporary solution for me. Does this point to it being a diver/firmware issue rather than a hardware issue? If it was hardware, then I should have experienced a lockup by now, right?

Reactions: nikster0029

pier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2009
Lisa Gade at Mobile Tech Review is the only Youtube reviewer I actually trust.

If you look at her review at 5:55 there is a graphical issue when she change the display brightness. The screen flickers badly.

In some comments she writes that:

Yes, there are graphics driver bugs or Touch Bar control of brightness bugs (hard to say which), and if you play with the brightness slider enough it sometimes makes the screen flicker.

Spoony Bard

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
Checkerboarding and red/multicolour glitches are indicative of a hardware problem. Even if such symptoms appear to "clear up," you're bound to have problems in the long term. Get those machines swapped.

The login glitch (display anomaly that flashes only at the bottom of the screen for a moment) is, however, entirely normal.

Reactions: pier
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.