Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
Just would like to say that it may be a combination of both software (Why it appears on 13" MBP's) and hardware (Why it also appears on 15") problems. I really don't think Apple would solve the dGPU dilemma spanning back all the way from 2010 until now, for every 15" MBP.

Kn!ghthawk

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2016
Just wondering & I apologize if it's already been answered but has anyone found out how to replicate the issue right out of the box. I'm picking up a fully speced one up next week from the state over (no sales tax). While I do have an Apple Store basically in my back yard I'd like to sort things out on the spot if possible. Thoughts?

I should add it's the 15" 2.9ghz with the 460

seadragon

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2009
I'll never understand how products get launched with issues like this. How is it that it didn't come up in pre-launch testing?

Reactions: idunn

rafalp

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2016
I'll never understand how products get launched with issues like this. How is it that it didn't come up in pre-launch testing?

Because result in production process isn't 100% reproductable. Differences between units will always happen, and sometimes those are both fatal and infrequent enogh to slip random tests at the production line.

Kn!ghthawk

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2016
I have a T1 and was thinking of replacing with the T3. Please let me know if any issues. My T1 is working fine

It's simple. The included cable is only for charging. It can transmit data but only at 2.0 speeds. Don't ask me why they make it more confusing than it needs to be!

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
I have a T1 and was thinking of replacing with the T3. Please let me know if any issues. My T1 is working fine
I can't get read or writes above 40MB/s on any port. No typo.
[doublepost=1480010519][/doublepost]
It's simple. The included cable is only for charging. It can transmit data but only at 2.0 speeds. Don't ask me why they make it more confusing than it needs to be!
It's incredibly bad how they did that. Even the 40MB/s doesn't reach USB 2.0 speed.

Kn!ghthawk

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2016
I can't get read or writes above 40MB/s on any port. No typo.
[doublepost=1480010519][/doublepost]
It's incredibly bad how they did that. Even the 40MB/s doesn't reach USB 2.0 speed.

USB-C: it would be simple they said. You can't plug it in wrong they said! It's compatible with Thunderbolt 3 too!

Did they not think of how confusing cables with the same conector but vastly differing specs would be? With no easy way of differentiating between them. lol

Reactions: pier and Chuzwuzzin

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
Sorry, have just posted in the graphics glitch thread but I guess this is the main thread for it. I've got a non-TB base model and have occasionally had little glitches but tonight had this one whilst/after logging in.

glitch.jpg

I needed to do a reboot to solve this one, but this is now driving me nuts and I'm not sure what to do. Will speak with Apple Support, but is it a software issue? Hardware issue? Presumably it will be fixed at some point, but in the meantime what to do...

Its over the 14 days return policy now anyway, so it would be covered for a repair only I guess which means being without the laptop.

Very frustrating.

And here's the minor one which disappears randomly but comes back. Very small beer compared to what's happening with some of you other users though!!

glitch2.jpg

Last edited:

mysteryGenius

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2016
UK
I've seen some of these issues on 13" RMBP's - in particular the "Rainbow" effect someone mentioned in a previous post. In my experience this is a Logic Board failure although not something specific or inherent to any model/GPU. Sometimes electronic s**t just fails. Some of these macs will be DOA. That's how engineering tolerances work.

The other red blocks/flickering/garbled artefacts that have been way more widely reported here are typically software/driver related (try starting up any post 10.10 OS in Safe Boot and watch it freak the f*** out at the loginwindow/desktop because all its accelerated graphics kexts are disabled - looks way similar to most of the blocky/flickering stuff photo'd in this thread). That being the case, hopefully most of these issues will be fixed in a 10.12.x update for the 2016 line of MBP's soon.

This is just what happens with new lines of HW when it hits the real world.

Apple phone support / Genius Bar won't have any info on this from engineering this early on and the best they will do is replace the Mac. Probably best to just ride it out for a while and see what happens.

Last edited:

wonga2

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2016
I may or may not have worked for Apple for a long time doing lots of different roles all of which are tech/engineering based.

I've seen some of these issues on 13" RMBP's - in particular the "Rainbow" effect someone mentioned in a previous post. In my experience this is a Logic Board failure although not something specific or inherent to any model/GPU. Sometimes electronic s**t just fails. Some of these macs will be DOA. That's how engineering tolerances work.

The other red blocks/flickering/garbled artefacts that have been way more widely reported here are typically software/driver related (try starting up any post 10.10 OS in Safe Boot and watch it freak the f*** out at the loginwindow/desktop because all its accelerated graphics kexts are disabled - looks way similar to most of the blocky/flickering stuff photo'd in this thread). That being the case, hopefully most of these issues will be fixed in a 10.12.x update for the 2016 line of MBP's soon.

Apple phone support / Genius Bar won't have any info on this from engineering this early on and the best they will do is replace the Mac. Probably best to just ride it out for a while and see what happens.

Thank you for that. Will keep an eye out for the changelogs in all subsequent updates.

Reactions: mysteryGenius

Kn!ghthawk

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2016
I may or may not have worked for Apple for a long time doing lots of different roles all of which are tech/engineering based.

You sir are amazing. The best & most logical response to this craziness. It's life. Things happen. Apple almost always finds a way to fix or make things right.

Wreckus

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

IMO, this should be sticked on top of the MBP forum.

Scott G.

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2016
Amsterdam, NY
I find that generally, and most frustratingly, YouTube reviews NEVER mention any of the real world problems that people end up encountering. For example, screen uniformity is never mentioned. All you hear is how wonderful the retina screen is. But then you end up buying one and the screen has light/dark patches, or red/green tint etc.
Yea, that drives me crazy. I can notice non uniform screen colors on every tech device I've ever owned, and I don't think I've ever seen a reviewer mentioned it.

Reactions: Mike84

garfinkelphoto

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2016
This is becoming a big issue. This need to be addressed in public by Apple. I am now scared that the replacement MBP I get will have the same or even worse issues.
Any response from Apple?
[doublepost=1479775195][/doublepost]
This is bad. We have been waiting for so long and now this.
[doublepost=1479775300][/doublepost]
I pray for a firmware bug.
[doublepost=1479775373][/doublepost]
That's what the Genius Bar guy said when he looked at the issue. He looked at the video that I posted on top of this thread.

I have 15" 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3, Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB. Experiencing the same crash, green/blue flickering glitch screen when I run Adobe Premiere and go to render footage. I order mine the day of announcement, and my computer arrived a week ago, but I did not open the package and start using it until today.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
What's weird is that it seems to be getting more frequent for me.

With the Apple Store return period extending for the holiday season, does that apply to all items bought, whether online or in-store?

dwillnyc

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2016
Just received my new 15"/2.6GHz/Radeon Pro 450 yesterday and since taking it out of the box I've had issues.

1. Won't wake from sleep. (I have to forcefully power down the laptop and restart it.)
2. Random artifacts/video issues. (I get the login artifacts with and without FileVault being enabled. Sometimes whatever is being displayed on the new Touch Bar will also display on the desktop in a random location.)
3. The battery is draining really fast.

I've reset the NVRAM/SMC and formatted/reinstalled Sierra numerous times now with no luck.

Reactions: JMac1996

JMac1996

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2016
Germany, Flensburg
Just received my new 15"/2.6GHz/Radeon Pro 450 yesterday and since taking it out of the box I've had issues.

1. Won't wake from sleep. (I have to forcefully power down the laptop and restart it.)
2. Random artifacts/video issues. (I get the login artifacts with and without FileVault being enabled. Sometimes whatever is being displayed on the new Touch Bar will also display on the desktop in a random location.)
3. The battery is draining really fast.

I've reset the NVRAM/SMC and formatted/reinstalled Sierra numerous times now with no luck.

Wow, i feel bad for you. Sounds awful.
I am waiting for mine (exact same machine 2.6GHz i7/16GB RAM/512GB/Radeon 450) and I am really scared.
I don't want these issues on a new machine.
Will you return it and get a new one or what's your plan?
I really need this Laptop for school in december. I was so hyped, now I am just scared until tuesday 29th.
:(

Creep89

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
Wow, i feel bad for you. Sounds awful.
I am waiting for mine (exact same machine 2.6GHz i7/16GB RAM/512GB/Radeon 450) and I am really scared.
I don't want these issues on a new machine.
Will you return it and get a new one or what's your plan?
I really need this Laptop for school in december. I was so hyped, now I am just scared until tuesday 29th.
:(
Yeah I'm scared, too. So many problems it looks like they rushed the new MacBook Pro to have something new for holidays. I was really hyped for my MacBook to arrive but now I'm not sure anymore.

Reactions: JMac1996
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.