Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

voyagerd

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2002
Rancho Cordova, CA
I spoke with an engineer and he thought it might have to do with the RAM since corruption is occurring even after switching between GPUs. I'm also getting CPU faults now which leads me to think it's not isolated to the Radeon GPU.

AhmedY

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2016
Cryptoland

deadworlds

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
Citrus Heights,CA
I have also heard people speculate that the issues could be related to the intel HD integrated GPU, because doing normal tasks should not be making the dGPU active. For example, logging into the computer should not be activating the Radeon card. I believe that it could be related to firmware and drivers.

We have evidence that suggests that something funny is going on related to photos app and when switching between GPUs. Also 13" folks are getting display issues too, so it's not purely isolated to the AMD GPU.

macmee

Suspended
Dec 13, 2008
Canada
I am having some issues myself, but they seem different from what everyone else is posting (in the videos, and so on). When I swipe to move from one space to another, I often have windows with terrible artifacts. This has happened to Safari, Finder, Messages, and Preview. Notably, I have used Photoshop a lot and haven't seen the issue occur with Photoshop itself, but it does occur with other apps both while using and while not using Photoshop.

I have a 15" 2.9 GHz i7, 16GB RAM, Radeon Pro 460 dGPU / Intel 530 integrated. Screenshots attached. Anyone else seeing this particular scenario?

I can't see the issue, clearly these photos look fine.
View attachment 674344 I'm having issues with my 13 book gut last night.

yes, so whats the problem? Looks great to me. Probably just a new OSX theme apple is trying out.

afx114

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2016
San Diego, CA
I'm experiencing similar issues, on a maxed out 2016 MBP with the 460. It started after a hard-freeze clicking the Siri button for the very first time. She glitched out like Max Headroom, then the machine completely froze and rebooted. Then after logging back in, the screen glitches out, then freezes completely. It then reboots and the cycle starts all over again. Rinse/Repeat:

L9i3BM6.jpg

I was able to get back in after running in Diagnostics mode (Hold down 'D' during boot). But overall things have been extremely unstable. In addition to this issue, I've also had issues with random lockups and the inability to quit programs (Chrome/Spotify). I had to force-quit them from Activity Monitor or else the machine wouldn't shut down or reboot. Seriously disappointed after dropping so much cash. Hoping this is a software fix and not a hardware issue. What did I expect with first rev of a new machine? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

adelonte

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2016
I'm using the 450 graphics and ran into the following issues:

Firevault turned:

1. Laggy login screen, followed by a discoloured screen that flashes once.

2. Red flashing screen when working with Premier.

3. White frozen screen when working with Premier.

4. Red artifacts on the menu bar icons.

When firevault is turned off, the login screen is much smoother and no graphic bugs.

Not sure if i should return incase it is hardware.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Does anyone who is affected by this happen to also have Bootcamp/Windows 10 installed? Would be interesting if there are also problems under Windows. If not, this may indeed be a pure OSX software/driver issue.

I cant remember from where i read it but couple days ago someone who were testing 15" mbp say that he never saw any issue in windows. All graph-issues happened in osx.

levymetal

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2011
13" non-tb here, display glitches on login screen. It does seem to be software, but I'm not risking it. I'm still within the 14 day window so it'll be going back, and I'll wait a few generations before buying a new one. I'm upgrading from a 2011 MBP that's still going strong, yet these types of issues don't make me confident that the new machines are going to last 5 years. I don't consider that acceptable considering my new MBP is almost twice the price I paid for my old MBP 5 years ago.

simnik123

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2016
450 user here.
Can report graphic-issues here as well. Apple is sending a replacement asap.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-24 at 12.15.27.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-24 at 12.15.27.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 203
Reactions: gujamin

aaron5566

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
Just logged into my 15" with 460 and it was sluggish to the point it didn't register me typing in my password. I had to click out and select my user again for the cursor to finally appear. I'm hoping this is just a bug which can be fixed through firmware.

On another note, on automatic graphics switching turned on, I notice stuttering when opening the folder "Other" in Launchpad. This disappears as soon as I turn it off and switch to the 460. Anyone else noticed that too?

JMac1996

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2016
Germany, Flensburg
Can someone speculate on the widespread of that gpu gate issues?
How much devices out of 10? 100? 1000? have this issue?
o_O
i want to have some information about how much % of owners are happy, and how much % of owners ran into these gpu issues.
I will receive my Macbook Pro 15" (450) next tuesday and I wanna be ****in happy with it.
So please, is there someone out there who is objective and can speculate or point out numbers and quotes for general?

Reactions: bgarcia_pt

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
If it is a software problem, how come some laptops have it and others don't?

All YouTube reviews did not mention this, given that all hardware is the same, I am guessing its a quality control issue.

Reactions: Queen6 and pier

seadragon

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2009

All YouTube reviews did not mention this, given that all hardware is the same, I am guessing its a quality control issue.

I find that generally, and most frustratingly, YouTube reviews NEVER mention any of the real world problems that people end up encountering. For example, screen uniformity is never mentioned. All you hear is how wonderful the retina screen is. But then you end up buying one and the screen has light/dark patches, or red/green tint etc.

Reactions: npreq and ccglows

Mike84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Agreed!! Are they scared of upsetting Apple or something?

They would rather report on "simplified driving mode:" (see front page) than any issues with Apple's products. There are actually two separate threads on this issue with more than 12 pages combined, yet they either refuse to post anything and/or have no clue. I prefer to believe the former.

Reactions: sparkie1984

rafalp

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2016

Apparently units shipped differ in Sierra builds between each other, and I've heard of graphics glitches on Sierra very much alike ones mentioned here since it landed, on older Macbooks.

My bet is on glitchy OS and immature drivers for new tech acting up on some builds.

So please, is there someone out there who is objective and can speculate or point out numbers and quotes for general?

Objectively speaking you can't give the factual fault rate without knowing things like number of units shipped, returns, etc. ect.

I've heard that industry standard for consumer electronics varies from 5 to 10% depending on device type or model. Fault rate on MB Air was something like 7%, but have none for Pros, and its meaningless anyway considered this is new device.

Last edited:

Daventry

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2011
What's the best way to reproduce this issue?
I received my MBP 15"/Radeon 460 last night.

Watched some streaming videos on VLC and ran one of the Unreal benchmarks for a while. So far so good.

Should I downlod and run a Premiere trial?

wonga2

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2016
Made an account to post this.

450 owner (baseline) just experienced the problem. Found restarting multiple times and returning MacBook Pro to power seems to quieten down the flickering. It's gone for now. My event was triggered by performing routine edits in Aperture (albeit in battery mode). Have video (taken in slow-mo) if anyone is interested……

Mike84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Made an account to post this.

450 owner (baseline) just experienced the problem. Found restarting multiple times and returning MacBook Pro to power seems to quieten down the flickering. It's gone for now. My event was triggered by performing routine edits in Aperture (albeit in battery mode). Have video (taken in slow-mo) if anyone is interested……

If you post it, it would further expand the amount of documentation we have regarding the glitch issue.

sentential

macrumors regular
May 27, 2015
I cant remember from where i read it but couple days ago someone who were testing 15" mbp say that he never saw any issue in windows. All graph-issues happened in osx.

That was me, haven't tried boot camp in full yet because I was getting weird **** with the SMC controller and it was starting to approach the thermal limits of the CPU/GPU on several occasions.

I couldn't tell if my normal list of programs weren't calibrated right or if it really ran that hot.

I decided it wasn't worth the risk

Reactions: mrex

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
That was me, haven't tried boot camp in full yet because I was getting weird **** with the SMC controller and it was starting to approach the thermal limits of the CPU/GPU on several occasions.

I couldn't tell if my normal list of programs weren't calibrated right or if it really ran that hot.

I decided it wasn't worth the risk

not on MR... it was a review article on net =}

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.