Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac666er

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
San Francisco, CA
Thanks for sharing your experiences so far. On a side-note, the Touch Bar haters out there that haven't even tried it out yet need to read your thoughts. I suspect the vast majority of users will feel the same way as you do after using it for awhile.

Thanks! I am more than happy to share! But to be honest, I have been using macs since System 6. People are always like this. With Jobs, when Jobs was ousted, without Jobs, when Jobs came back and when Jobs died. People always complain. People complained about the very first Powerbooks, the Quadras (the Mac Pro equivalents from decades ago), the first iMacs, the first mouse under Jobs when he came back, the switch to USB, the dismissal of the floppy drive, the dismissal of the optical drives, the iPod, the iPad... you get the idea. Threads that are pages long. After a while, it just gets very old. Most people in the forums don't even really plan to buy a MacBook, or a laptop for that matter. I honestly believe there is a backlog because these are proving to be very popular.

After playing with the touch bar, I do believe it is a nice differentiator. I like it, it shows they polished the idea. It is obvious they got the inspiration from Razer and other laptops that had buttons with screens and trackpads with screens. But what is really useful is the extra degree of integration with software: the scrubbing, the touchID, the scrollable content on apps, etc.

I hope the parent of the thread gets the MacBook working with Adobe Media Encoder eventually. People need more options to use their Macbooks, not less. Glad he could use Final Cut Pro, but I hope he gets it to work in his tool of choice.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
Thanks! I am more than happy to share! But to be honest, I have been using macs since System 6. People are always like this. With Jobs, when Jobs was ousted, without Jobs, when Jobs came back and when Jobs died. People always complain. People complained about the very first Powerbooks, the Quadras (the Mac Pro equivalents from decades ago), the first iMacs, the first mouse under Jobs when he came back, the switch to USB, the dismissal of the floppy drive, the dismissal of the optical drives, the iPod, the iPad... you get the idea. Threads that are pages long. After a while, it just gets very old. Most people in the forums don't even really plan to buy a MacBook, or a laptop for that matter. I honestly believe there is a backlog because these are proving to be very popular.

After playing with the touch bar, I do believe it is a nice differentiator. I like it, it shows they polished the idea. It is obvious they got the inspiration from Razer and other laptops that had buttons with screens and trackpads with screens. But what is really useful is the extra degree of integration with software: the scrubbing, the touchID, the scrollable content on apps, etc.

I hope the parent of the thread gets the MacBook working with Adobe Media Encoder eventually. People need more options to use their Macbooks, not less. Glad he could use Final Cut Pro, but I hope he gets it to work in his tool of choice.

I enjoy quality discussion and it's great to read your thoughts. I don't want to detract from the thread at hand, so we'll get back to learning more about the graphics issues that a few folks are having. Cheers!

Mike84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010

I read your previous post and this one. Thanks for the insight.

I had spoken with a good friend who is well aquatinted with macs and he too believed it might be a firmware issue and not a hardware one. I truly hope that is the truth.

So, in theory, a software update would resolve/fix the issue?

As I mentioned in previous posts, I spoke to Apple support yesterday and was immediately moved to a senior advisor who exchanged some emails with engineers. At first, they had believed it was hardware related and approved a replacement. However, even though that offer is still on the table, the engineers asked the senior advisor for a video of the occurrence and had then said suggested it might be a software issue. I haven't heard anything since I submitted the videos.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
I read your previous post and this one. Thanks for the insight.

I had spoken with a good friend who is well aquatinted with macs and he too believed it might be a firmware issue and not a hardware one. I truly hope that is the truth.

So, in theory, a software update would resolve/fix the issue?

As I mentioned in previous posts, I spoke to Apple support yesterday and was immediately moved to a senior advisor who exchanged some emails with engineers. At first, they had believed it was hardware related and approved a replacement. However, even though that offer is still on the table, the engineers asked the senior advisor for a video of the occurrence and had then said suggested it might be a software issue. I haven't heard anything since I submitted the videos.

You'll hear something eventually. Give them a little more time, as I'm sure they are probably trying to recreate the behavior internally, if they haven't already. Once they can recreate it, it can greatly speed up the root cause analysis and resolution, but it still takes some time. A day to do all that is not much time.

sinoka56

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2013
whether or not it's a software or hardware issue, if this keeps up, apple will be releasing half-baked products

Reactions: pmau

belle14

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
Was hoping to buy one in the new year specifically to use with Adobe Premiere Pro so I will be disappointed if this turns out to be a widespread issue. Has anyone without the 460 had problems?

Last edited:

themaccast

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
In looking into some of the Kernel panic logs associated with this issue I'm noticing that there os a reference to the IONVMeFamily and/or IONVMeController in the crash logs. I think these are part of the IO system and if I'm not mistaken with the new Thunderbolt 3/USB-C everything tuns through this, including display and even dedicated GPU. I also know that on past systems some folks will run TRIM Enabler which, I believe, does hack the KTEXT files for IONVMeFamily and/or IONVMeController. I'm wondering if those who are experiencing issue on the new Macbook Pro ran, or ran in the past, TRIM Enabler on their systems and if it is those users who are seeing this issue? Just a thought.

trevdarc

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2016
Hi all,

I am attempting to reproduce this issue on a 450 machine. Here's what I've tried from your responses so far. For each of these items, I have toggled graphics switching on and off.

1. Trackpad gesture desktop change (for this I used a chrome window playing a youtube video)
2. Use Siri while in Photos
3. Restarted several times (but filevault is turned off; it sounds like we're confident this is a separate issue)
4. Encode a video using Adobe Media Encoder

Has someone been able to reliably (3 times or more) reproduce this problem on a 460? What procedure do you use?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
In looking into some of the Kernel panic logs associated with this issue I'm noticing that there os a reference to the IONVMeFamily and/or IONVMeController in the crash logs. I think these are part of the IO system and if I'm not mistaken with the new Thunderbolt 3/USB-C everything tuns through this, including display and even dedicated GPU. I also know that on past systems some folks will run TRIM Enabler which, I believe, does hack the KTEXT files for IONVMeFamily and/or IONVMeController. I'm wondering if those who are experiencing issue on the new Macbook Pro ran, or ran in the past, TRIM Enabler on their systems and if it is those users who are seeing this issue? Just a thought.

Bold: Not related since I already read quite a few posts of people which had this issue on a clean system.
But, I agree with you that this is most likely a driver issue and not hardware related.
If that is the case I hope Apple will fix this soon.

LostAggie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
I had purchased the 15 with the 460 but started reading this and changed my mind and went with the 13. I have a PC tower I just built with a 1070 card so the 460 power really isn't needed.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Hi all,

I am attempting to reproduce this issue on a 450 machine. Here's what I've tried from your responses so far. For each of these items, I have toggled graphics switching on and off.

1. Trackpad gesture desktop change (for this I used a chrome window playing a youtube video)
2. Use Siri while in Photos
3. Restarted several times (but filevault is turned off; it sounds like we're confident this is a separate issue)
4. Encode a video using Adobe Media Encoder

Has someone been able to reliably (3 times or more) reproduce this problem on a 460? What procedure do you use?
its clear the 450 does not have this issue..but also we dont use filevault ! i also have the 450 and no problems here.
How is your battery and your temperature for the that dGPU, can you hit with it 80C ?

andrewbarba

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2015
Boston
Add me to the list of BTO maxed-out 15" w/ touch bar doing the Kernel panic routine. Screen freaks out, green lines everywhere, then panics. Now every time I restart I get green lines on the bottom of the screen, then it goes black, and finally starts a few seconds later. Been a nightmare since I opened this thing.

Ran diagnostics multiple times and of course it reports no issues. Is the consensus to bring them back to Apple and wait for replacements?

Mike84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Add me to the list of BTO maxed-out 15" w/ touch bar doing the Kernel panic routine. Screen freaks out, green lines everywhere, then panics. Now every time I restart I get green lines on the bottom of the screen, then it goes black, and finally starts a few seconds later. Been a nightmare since I opened this thing.

Ran diagnostics multiple times and of course it reports no issues. Is the consensus to bring them back to Apple and wait for replacements?

Have you called Apple yet? I can only speak for myself, but I am in a holding pattern waiting for Apple engineers to get back to my senior advisor with their thoughts on whether it is software or hardware.

I would call Apple support.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011

Return it for refund, and then wait for dust to settle.

Reactions: flowave

sentential

macrumors regular
May 27, 2015
455 owner checking in, cannot reproduce artifacts shown by OP seems so far to be a 460 issue only.

My guess is either the yields on the 460 dies are off or there's indeed a firmware bug with the 4gb of vram

JanInLA

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2016
Thanks for sharing your experiences so far. On a side-note, the Touch Bar haters out there that haven't even tried it out yet need to read your thoughts. I suspect the vast majority of users will feel the same way as you do after using it for awhile.
This is a great machine, but this thread is about crashing while using specific software. I love the MBP while using FCPX but it crashed horribly using Adobe Media Encoder - and that's a software most video professionals use. So major issue here.
[doublepost=1479659123][/doublepost]

That problem with Media Encoder forced me to use FCPX and I really love it now. I don't want to go back. It's made for the new MBP! Love the touch bar!
[doublepost=1479659323][/doublepost]
Wow! How about a new one shipped over ASAP.
My delivery date is December 28th. So I had to buy to new one on top of the one of the one I have to be able to keep working.

sirix

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
Radeon 450 MBP 15" here (the base / cheapest model). I'm having the issues :(. - see below but ignore the yellow block which is intentional)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    933.6 KB · Views: 336

voyagerd

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2002
Rancho Cordova, CA
15"/2.9GHz/460/2TB freezes every time Aperture is open and processing previews for a few minutes. I also get flickering checkerboards even on the login screen now. :(

img_4932-1-jpg.673673

JanInLA

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2016
15"/2.9GHz/460/2TB freezes every time Aperture is open and processing previews for a few minutes. I also get flickering checkerboards even on the login screen now. :(

img_4932-1-jpg.673673
This is becoming a big issue. This need to be addressed in public by Apple. I am now scared that the replacement MBP I get will have the same or even worse issues.
Any response from Apple?
[doublepost=1479775195][/doublepost]
Radeon 450 MBP 15" here (the base / cheapest model). I'm having the issues :(. - see below but ignore the yellow block which is intentional)
This is bad. We have been waiting for so long and now this.
[doublepost=1479775300][/doublepost]
455 owner checking in, cannot reproduce artifacts shown by OP seems so far to be a 460 issue only.

My guess is either the yields on the 460 dies are off or there's indeed a firmware bug with the 4gb of vram
I pray for a firmware bug.
[doublepost=1479775373][/doublepost]
This can still be a hardware problem.
That's what the Genius Bar guy said when he looked at the issue. He looked at the video that I posted on top of this thread.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
"Pretty disappointed I must say. My 2008 Mac Pro has been humming along 24/7 for nearly 9 years with nary a problem"

Why replace it?
I own the same. It even survives my MacBook Pro 2012 that died earlier this year. Logic board.
I'm probably done with Apple. Cheap hardware is fine, but 4000 Euro for something you can only return is not happening with me.
I'm really interested when Apple reports the next quarter without preorders.
I believe sales will decay rather quickly

voyagerd

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2002
Rancho Cordova, CA
Is anybody else seeing these issues on both GPUs? As I posted in my screenshot above, my MBP freezes with graphical corruption and the kernal log points to multiple GPU resets on the Radeon chip. The weird thing is that after restarting, I still see a less intense flickering checkerboard over the screen when iStat Menus says it's on the Intel graphics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.