Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Perhaps I'm just not understanding, but what's the purpose of the new lock system? The way it seems to work now, is it's "locked" until I Touch ID, then it unlocks but I still have to press to get to the home screen? So I can operate the locked screen as both locked and unlocked but neither seems to be in any different state? Except maybe access to your gallery.

Secure actions like replying to mail messages or imessages/sms should only be available to an authenticated user. Some people on b1 swore they could do so without, though I must admit to being skeptical it wasn't user error. I guess I can find out for myself in b2 now that these actions are available without 3D Touch

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
Perhaps I'm just not understanding, but what's the purpose of the new lock system? The way it seems to work now, is it's "locked" until I Touch ID, then it unlocks but I still have to press to get to the home screen? So I can operate the locked screen as both locked and unlocked but neither seems to be in any different state? Except maybe access to your gallery.
Yeah, you're not understanding.

The lockscreen is a usable location, with Widgets and Rich Notifications. Unlocking is still done the same way, but you are not immediately brought to the Home Screen unless you press the Home Button. This is a feature. It allows you to see and use the Lock Screen, and go to the Home Screen when you are ready. Not to mention, the rest of the entire OS works this way...pressing the Home Button takes you to the Home Screen.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
IMG_2714.PNG
New music controls on the lock screen (iPad) that isn't 'unapologetically massive' as Jony Ive would say lol

Andrew.s

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2007
Inland Empire
I had a bad profile apparently that had expired. Not sure why, but I had to find a new one. I'd double check the details of your profile.
The profile seems okay but I'm going to try to reinstall it after I finish the Watch update. That's the only OTA that has showed for me.

Justjay27

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2012
If there's enough space, you don't have to click to expand now. It just does it automatically.

Yeah it looks like you have to have 3 or less people in a group chat, I've got one with me and 4 other people and the names are stacked

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England

The lockscreen is a usable location, with Widgets and Rich Notifications. Unlocking is still done the same way, but you are not immediately brought to the Home Screen unless you press the Home Button. This is a feature. It allows you to see and use the Lock Screen, and go to the Home Screen when you are ready. Not to mention, the rest of the entire OS works this way...pressing the Home Button takes you to the Home Screen.

So when the iPhone is locked and you want to go straight to the Home screen, with this new toggle, that's possible?

But the behaviour from beta 1 is still present if you want to use it?

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
Bof A is an issue with their app not the beta (reportedly people could open it in an ipad but not iphone but I cannot confirm that).

They will need to update it in the next 2 months

hootansharifian

Suspended
Jun 25, 2014
You raise your phone (the screen automatically turns on), you have your finger on touchID, you read your notifications on lock screen and then press the home button to jump to home screen. Thats how I see it and how its useful for me :)

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
So when the iPhone is locked and you want to go straight to the Home screen, with this new toggle, that's possible?

But the behaviour from beta 1 is still present if you want to use it?

You could actually just place your finger to unlock in b1 but only if you did so immediately. If you woke it up and waited a few seconds it'd then require hitting the home button. I guess it was a quick "I don't want to interact, just to get to my home screen" workflow. That still works in b2 without altering the new setting. So, basically "put finger on home and press once to unlock and leave finger on home button to go to home"

And to add, the process described above only unlocked immediately if you used the home button to wake. If you used power button then you still needed to press home to unlock.

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014

Ah so it's sort of an attempt to make the widgets and lock screen a little more useful. Got it. I actually don't mind it at all - I'm already just pressing by default when I wanna get to the home screen anyway, just didn't really think of the usability of widgets. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.