Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
This is what it would look like

2462d82a4ec645e6b64f351c83462866.jpg

Unless I’m missing something in the photos options where it’s turned off but I checked and I don’t see an option for that. I’m on a 15 Pro.

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
Unless I’m missing something in the photos options where it’s turned off but I checked and I don’t see an option for that. I’m on a 15 Pro.

Yeah, I don’t see a setting for it. Hopefully, the reset brings it back. Or beta 4 does, if not.

christian.terra

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
I’ve noticed since updating to iOS 18.1 in general, the photos app visual lookup is not available anymore. Where the stars would appear on the “I” button where you can identify animals, plants and other landmarks. Did they take this away in the betas?
Settings > Search > Show Related Content should be ON. I had the same issue with iOS18.0 which turned off that setting at some point. Once I turned it on, started working instantly. Hopefully that works for you.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
When I long press it does highlight the item, but the lookup feature is not available at all, I checked that too.

Only have these options….

46598581c34e897d0d2a4f976943163c.jpg

Same issue. I the latest test photo I have two dogs and the selection keeps wanting to select both at the same time.
IMG_0861.jpeg
Have this issue on both the iPad Pro 11 M4 and 15 ProMax.

I am also finding if the selected item has text in it, the system wants to select the text instead of the object.

HouseLannister

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2021
My tan dog with a brown fence in the background sometimes lets me select him and sometimes doesn't depending on the photo. But I don't think the selection got any worse with iOS 18 over 17. Are you thinking it has gotten worse in the betas?

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
My tan dog with a brown fence in the background sometimes lets me select him and sometimes doesn't depending on the photo. But I don't think the selection got any worse with iOS 18 over 17. Are you thinking it has gotten worse in the betas?

I think it is a beta bug. I have seen similar in other betas and it comes and goes. For 18.1 the incorrect selection for things like this seems to ne more persistent. So, worse. JMO

Reactions: HouseLannister

wiggy82

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2016
Still not completed, I even tried doing a full restore of 18.1 B3 and restoring a backup and still won't complete, yet my M1 Mini is fine, not got 18.1 on my phone.
I decided to erase all content and settings and restore from backup, after which it downloaded ok.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Ran into a new issue.

Was using my AirPods Pro2 to listen to a conf call via Teams on 15 ProMax.
Reading the news on my iPad Pro.
Switched the Teams call to my laptop, put the 15PM to sleep, switched my APP2 to the iPad.

Nothing. It showed connected to the iPad but no sound. I unlocked the 15PM and the same - connected with no sound.

Had to kill BT on both 15PM/iPad and then turn it back on. The APP2 then connected with sound to the iPad.

I can replicate this. If I start with APP2 on the 15PM and swap to the iPad Pro 11 the APP2 sounds fails 100%. If I start with the iPad and swap to the iPhone, it works just fine. Just found this so I do not know if this already existed on prior betas. I do know this didn’t exist on 18.0 before I jumped to 18.1

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015
Anyone having an issue where Live Activities won’t come back after you dismiss them? This has happened to me with both Google Maps and the Yahoo! Fantasy Football app…

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015
Anyone having an issue where Live Activities won’t come back after you dismiss them? This has happened to me with both Google Maps and the Yahoo! Fantasy Football app…
Any idea how to get Live Activities to start again once they’re dismissed…?

Going into the app settings and toggling Live Activities off/on doesn’t work. Restarting the phone doesn’t work. This is insane…

christian.terra

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
Any idea how to get Live Activities to start again once they’re dismissed…?

Going into the app settings and toggling Live Activities off/on doesn’t work. Restarting the phone doesn’t work. This is insane…
Only thing I can think of is to force close the app and see if it comes back again. Or go into settings for the app, turn off live activites, restart and then turn it back on.

HouseLannister

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2021
It showed connected to the iPad but no sound.
I have that problem when it switches to my AppleTV quite often. No beta software there. Not sure if it is the firmware on the airpods or what. I just restart the AppleTV and all is well for a week or so.

Reactions: dk001

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015
Only thing I can think of is to force close the app and see if it comes back again. Or go into settings for the app, turn off live activites, restart and then turn it back on.
Yeah, none of that works. Very frustrating. Wonder if this happens with 18.0, too…

christian.terra

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
Yeah, none of that works. Very frustrating. Wonder if this happens with 18.0, too…
I just tried on 18.0. I swiped away a live activity. Force closed the app and when I reopened, the live activity came back. App was flighty. Maybe the issue is specific to one app?

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015
I just tried on 18.0. I swiped away a live activity. Force closed the app and when I reopened, the live activity came back. App was flighty. Maybe the issue is specific to one app?
Well that’s interesting. Yeah, I’ve had the issue with two different apps: Google Maps & Yahoo! Fantasy. Both apps never, ever showed Live Activities again once I dismissed them the first time. No amount of restarting or toggling the setting on/off fixed the issue.

You’d think that force closing and reopening the apps would trigger the Live Activity to reappear…

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015
Interestingly, I just opened the Yahoo! Fantasy app and got the live activities prompt again…

ShaneSparkyYYZ

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2015
Toronto, Canada
I’ve noticed since updating to iOS 18.1 in general, the photos app visual lookup is not available anymore. Where the stars would appear on the “I” button where you can identify animals, plants and other landmarks. Did they take this away in the betas?
Edit// Thanks for the update. Found my setting was off too :)

Last edited:

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Same here! Knew something seemed missing. Pressing on the item to “look up” shows me the same as what you posted. Copy, Add Sticker, Share…. Phone is set to USA region, as is language. Hopefully b4 fixes it :)

Settings > Search > Show Related Content should be ON. I had the same issue with iOS18.0 which turned off that setting at some point. Once I turned it on, started working instantly. Hopefully that works for you.

This fixed it for me

Reactions: ShaneSparkyYYZ
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.