Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

ShaneSparkyYYZ

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Saw this in Settings > Privacy & Security > Location Services > System Services,

Anyone know what Collections is? Don’t recall that on iOS 17.6.1. Couldn’t find an answer on Reddit or google. It was on by default. Turned it off, haven’t seen any changes yet.

Attachments

• IMG_3314.jpeg
    IMG_3314.jpeg
    137.7 KB · Views: 58

fullfast

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2010
I just tried on 18.0. I swiped away a live activity. Force closed the app and when I reopened, the live activity came back. App was flighty. Maybe the issue is specific to one app?
This is the same for me and really annoying as flying today and not showing up at all, Flightradar is actually notifying me but flighty isnt

wiggy82

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2016
Still not completed, I even tried doing a full restore of 18.1 B3 and restoring a backup and still won't complete, yet my M1 Mini is fine, not got 18.1 on my phone.
I reported this issue on the feedback app. Apple have acknowledged the issue and has a potential fix in a future OS update (maybe Beta 4)

Attachments

• IMG_0007.jpeg
    IMG_0007.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 59

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
One aspect that is bugging me is the new Siri. Having the edges of the screen light up is good but I am seeing that way too often. Words that sound like “Siri” or even when it is silent the colored border shows.

Concerning.

• Sad
Reactions: Populus

christian.terra

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
This is the same for me and really annoying as flying today and not showing up at all, Flightradar is actually notifying me but flighty isnt
did you double check your flight had live activities on in the app? only other thing to try is reintall app.

mikelets456

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2022
Bucks County, PA
Saw this in Settings > Privacy & Security > Location Services > System Services,

Anyone know what Collections is? Don’t recall that on iOS 17.6.1. Couldn’t find an answer on Reddit or google. It was on by default. Turned it off, haven’t seen any changes yet.
I believe this is what "collections" is---

"Apple updated the Photos app, merging the Library and For You tabs into a simplified view that focuses on surfacing your best photos and memories. With Collections, it's easy to find photos organized by themes like recent days, trips, and people and pets. Collections can be pinned for quick access to your most used content".

Reactions: ShaneSparkyYYZ

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
It would seem from all the hands on demos yesterday that there is a Beta much further along - and if they are hoping to launch 18.1 in October we must be moving to weekly cycles from now on - holding thumbs for today too as my battery life also not great.

I’ve been traveling so have not been able to follow as closely as normal: what are you seeing in the hands on demos that makes you believe that?

We almost certainly are going to one week betas though.

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015
Ha...glad it's not me then. Hoping for B4 soon...in a few hours maybe?
Most of my hiccups occur when trying to swipe up to close an app, and I often have issues tapping target in the upper right corner of the screen…the screen just doesn’t work for several seconds.

Expecting B4 in less than 2 hours…

nortonandreev

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2016
Europe
Is it only me who finds the new home bar interaction to trigger text to Siri quite bad? Activating it is a hit-and-miss, also overloading the home bar with so many behaviours doesn’t seem like a great UX to me.

Reactions: redbeard331

maxevens

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2014
I have a question for those who are trying to use Apple intelligence in the EU.

I have tried to change my App Store&iTunes account to a United Kingdom one (when I lived there I had one separate one) and now I have AI working in Hungary.

My question is that if I change it back to my original (where I currently have my Music subscription and other purchases) will it still work, or it will revert back to original Siri?

Has anyone tried it yet?

Thank you so much!

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
Is it only me who finds the new home bar interaction to trigger text to Siri quite bad? Activating it is a hit-and-miss, also overloading the home bar with so many behaviours doesn’t seem like a great UX to me.

I agree it’s not the greatest experience. But it does usually activate Siri for me without any issues.

FairAndBalanced

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2018
NY, NY
I must say that the "new Siri" is not that smart!

Me: (spoken...) "Siri, How much is one hundred times five percent divided by twelve?"
Siri: (shows me...) "How much is 100x5% divided by 12" , with no answer, and then lists a bunch of websites for Fraction Calculator, Long Division Calculator, and a Search Google button!

Me: (spoken...) "Siri, How much is a five percent discount on one hundred dollars?"
Siri: (shows me...) "How much is a 5% discount on $100", with no answer, and then lists a bunch of sites that I can go to for the answer along with a Google Search button.

Ask Siri "What is the fastest way to get to Mexico City from San Diego", and it will give you driving directions in Apple Maps. Ask ChatGPT the same question, and it will give you the "fly" option, and the "fly and drive" option!

Ask Siri "What is the fastest way to get from New York to Rio de Janeiro?", and it says "I didn't find any matching places". Ask ChatGPT the same question, and it tells me to take a direct flight, tells me which airlines offer direct flights, and throws in that I should factor in airport checkin and arrival formalities etc.

I am a huge Apple fan, but they have a long way to go with Siri to meet the AI hype. That said, AI summaries for messages, notifications, and mail are not that bad for beta versions. Hoping that Siri improves soon.

john991

macrumors 68040
Sep 30, 2014
Great White North - aka Canada

Me: (spoken...) "Siri, How much is one hundred times five percent divided by twelve?"
Siri: (shows me...) "How much is 100x5% divided by 12" , with no answer, and then lists a bunch of websites for Fraction Calculator, Long Division Calculator, and a Search Google button!

Me: (spoken...) "Siri, How much is a five percent discount on one hundred dollars?"
Siri: (shows me...) "How much is a 5% discount on $100", with no answer, and then lists a bunch of sites that I can go to for the answer along with a Google Search button.

Ask Siri "What is the fastest way to get to Mexico City from San Diego", and it will give you driving directions in Apple Maps. Ask ChatGPT the same question, and it will give you the "fly" option, and the "fly and drive" option!

Ask Siri "What is the fastest way to get from New York to Rio de Janeiro?", and it says "I didn't find any matching places". Ask ChatGPT the same question, and it tells me to take a direct flight, tells me which airlines offer direct flights, and throws in that I should factor in airport checkin and arrival formalities etc.

I am a huge Apple fan, but they have a long way to go with Siri to meet the AI hype. That said, AI summaries for messages, notifications, and mail are not that bad for beta versions. Hoping that Siri improves soon.
I get this when I ask How much is a five percent discount on one hundred dollars

IMG_5916.png

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013

This is not the new Siri, despite the new appearance. About the only thing they’ve addressed so far is the ability to correct yourself if you misstate something. The other improvements are likely coming in 18.4.

i’ve heard some podcasters state that Apple probably shouldn’t have changed the UI until the major changes were implemented. I tend to agree with them. The UI changes give people the false sense that Siri has been completely improved when clearly it has not been.

Patrick_273

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2024
I have a question for those who are trying to use Apple intelligence in the EU.

I have tried to change my App Store&iTunes account to a United Kingdom one (when I lived there I had one separate one) and now I have AI working in Hungary.

My question is that if I change it back to my original (where I currently have my Music subscription and other purchases) will it still work, or it will revert back to original Siri?

Has anyone tried it yet?

Thank you so much!

Just Changed it back
AI still there

But no warranty. That is seconds ago.
Keep you updated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.