Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

contacos

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I was curious and tried "Clean Up" and compared it to my Samsung Galaxy AI eraser to remove the neck tattoo and well .. there is room for improvement I would say haha

iPhone: Galaxy: Original:

1724923679997.png
1724923749385.png
1724923800226.png

Tammster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
S Florida USA
If you're planning on upgrading to the 16 keep in mind you won't be able to restore from backup out of the box because it will be running iOS 16 and you can't restore to a newer version of iOS as far as I remember. I could be wrong. If that's still the case you will have to set up the iPhone as new and upgrade to 16.1 before restoring from backup.

I just came to this thread to look this up. Hopefully this will work easily.

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
If you're planning on upgrading to the 16 keep in mind you won't be able to restore from backup out of the box because it will be running iOS 16 and you can't restore to a newer version of iOS as far as I remember. I could be wrong. If that's still the case you will have to set up the iPhone as new and upgrade to 16.1 before restoring from backup.

Last year, Apple implemented a feature where, if you use the Migration Assistant (or whatever it’s called), your new phone detects that you are on a beta and installs that for you before you have to move your data. As long as they do that again, what you are describing should not be a problem.

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
[Update: Resolved] - Approval granted

I updated from 18.0 BP to 18.1 b3 and have been in the Siri & AI waitlist for 5+ hours. Any tips for gaining approval sooner?

If you think it was slow yesterday, way to what happened when 18.1 becomes available to million more people. That alone is a good reason to get on the betas.

morganthomas757

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2023
IMG_9476.jpeg

Anyone else notice that when apps are in a small icon state, e.g. viewing a folder on the Home Screen, that the app icon blanks out, but when you open the folder, it shows as normal?

HylianKnight

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2017
Playing with Cleanup and finding it only works on background items. 15PM.
From Apple’s Apple Intelligence website:

“Remove distractions in your photos with the Clean Up tool in the Photos app. Apple Intelligence identifies background objects so you can remove them with a tap and perfect your shot — while staying true to the original image.”

Last edited:
Reactions: dk001

HylianKnight

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2017
I think you meant 18? I don’t think anyone in this forum is running iOS 16.

Reactions: zakarhino

HylianKnight

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2017
You know, I am more than happy for Apple to prioritize the Siri upgrades over GenMoji and Image Playground. I’m hoping before 18.2.

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta
Notice how that changes the exposure. I saw that last night even playing around with it.
I saw that too. But it’s not too bad. I readjusted it again and doesn’t seem too bad. It’s only zooming in where you notice the cragginess.

HylianKnight

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2017
I was curious and tried "Clean Up" and compared it to my Samsung Galaxy AI eraser to remove the neck tattoo and well .. there is room for improvement I would say haha

iPhone: Galaxy: Original:

View attachment 2410444 View attachment 2410445 View attachment 2410446
So I borrowed your photo to see if I could get Cleanup to do a bit better, and I would argue I did. Instead of circling the area, I swiped vertically across the tattoo area several times, with each iteration removing a bit more. It took like 5 swipes and less than 10 seconds.

Update: Just wanted to add that ideally, we want the cleanup tool to work with just a single tap/circle/swipe gesture, but it’s nice to know there are some workarounds to get a better output with it.

Attachments

• IMG_4479.jpeg
    IMG_4479.jpeg
    27 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4479.jpeg
    IMG_4479.jpeg
    26.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4479.jpeg
    IMG_4479.jpeg
    26.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4479.jpeg
    IMG_4479.jpeg
    26.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Reactions: BBDDVV and Jakimo

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
What do you mean by “background items”? If you mean “things other than the main subject of the photo” then I am not experiencing that. I can delete a main subject, though the feature struggles to figure out how to fill in what was removed.

Edit: I’ve played around with it some more. Some foreground features 𝘢𝘳𝘦 difficult to remove. It seems to be related to the degree of edge contrast between the item to be removed and the surrounding area. High contrast = a more successful removal.

When I try to remove stand-alone background items I have no real issue. May have to scrub a bit a couple of times to get it all. If the selected background impacts / overlaps the foreground it frequently messes up the foreground image edges. If I select the foreground image, it won’t “erase”. Keep in mind with foreground / background I am working with portraits. Initially ran into this cleaning up photos of my pups.

One neat piece, after cleaning up an item or two, if you press on the main or foreground “person”, it will flash in all the items you had removed.

Last edited:
Reactions: gwhizkids
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.