Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Paddle1

macrumors 603
May 1, 2013
Just realized that Send Later in Messages only works if the recipient is another Apple user.
Based on the blurb on the Apple website "RCS (Rich Communication Services) messages bring richer media and delivery and read receipts for those who don’t use iMessage." there's a chance it may work with RCS.

john991

macrumors 68040
Sep 30, 2014
Great White North - aka Canada
That was my thinking as well.
Are you @gwhizkids using tapatalk?

Getting this from your replies. emoji
emoji638.png
emoji639.png
[emoji[emoji6
emoji640.png
emoji638.png
]
emoji640.png
emoji640.png
][emoji

Reactions: Dj64Mk7

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
[QUOTE="myllian’] Could you elaborate? what is different than before?[/QUOTE]

Before you could touch anywhere on a phone call ‘card’ in the Recents tab and it would immediately place a call to that person. Now, tapping in most places on the card will just get you info about the caller. To return a call, you have to tap on the round blue phone icon at the far right.

MozMan68

macrumors 603
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
[QUOTE="myllian’] Could you elaborate? what is different than before?

Before you could touch anywhere on a phone call ‘card’ in the Recents tab and it would immediately place a call to that person. Now, tapping in most places on the card will just get you info about the caller. To return a call, you have to tap on the round blue phone icon at the far right.
[/QUOTE]

What he said....tap the new callback button which is on the way right...tapping anywhere else just brings up the info card for the number. Such a MAJOR improvement.

And sorry...can't seem to grab the screenshot and post here for some reason.

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013

What he said....tap the new callback button which is on the way right...tapping anywhere else just brings up the info card for the number. Such a MAJOR improvement.
[/QUOTE]
And such an obvious one. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve inadvertently called someone just by accidentally touching the screen.

MegaBlue

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2022
Tennessee, United States
The new Dark Mode allows for actual changes to the diferent elements of the icon (compare the camera and music app icons in light and dark) whereas the Tint option just applies a layer of color over the entire icon. That’s why the new dark mode will require developer support.

View attachment 2387966
However, Apple seems to do a decent job at isolating elements from third party app icons and replacing their background with the dark gray gradient, as seen below:

Screenshot 2024-06-12 at 1.00.57 PM.png

So, while I do agree that Apple is expecting developers to update their own icons with dark mode variants, I don't think it would be hard for Apple to "force" a dark mode on some icons the way it can "force" tinted icons.

For example, the August app and the ParkMobile app are solid colors with a white logo. I don't think it's impossible for the same system tinting icons to replace the background (which it can already do) and just put a red gradient filter over the August logo, or a green gradient filter over the ParkMobile logo.

Or for another example, ChatGPT, Threads, Mapper, and ProCam are all already black icons. They could easily replace the black background with a matching dark gradient, or conversely force a "light mode" icon by just inverting them.

Obviously, it wouldn't work for every app, and also the system doesn't just inherently know "oh this icon should be considered the "light mode" one, let me generate a "dark mode" one, or vice versa. However, I do not think it's impossible. The tinted icons already prove Apple can *mostly* detect icon elements, separate and tint them, and do background replacement. The only difference between the tinted icons and and a forced dark mode icon would be applying a matching color gradient to the original icon's colors, instead of a solid user chosen one.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Here’s a strange thing that I’m seeing today. There’s a whole different behavior when it come to Play Next in the music app. The two screenshots are one day apart. Yesterday I had the option to Play Last with the name of whatever that last song is going to be. Whereas today I’m just seeing the option to Add to Queue. A totally different thing than yesterday.

Attachments

• 32D63447-0FE1-454F-9CD4-B330B3279DE5.jpeg
    32D63447-0FE1-454F-9CD4-B330B3279DE5.jpeg
    257.7 KB · Views: 104

Ansath

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 9, 2018
Here’s a strange thing that I’m seeing today. There’s a whole different behavior when it come to Play Next in the music app. The two screenshots are one day apart. Yesterday I had the option to Play Last with the name of whatever that last song is going to be. Whereas today I’m just seeing the option to Add to Queue. A totally different thing than yesterday.
Might be a bug, saw it discussed in the Beta 1 bugs thread. Probably better there, as this thread is for sharing features not explicitly revealed at the keynote.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
However, Apple seems to do a decent job at isolating elements from third party app icons and replacing their background with the dark gray gradient, as seen below:

View attachment 2388170

So, while I do agree that Apple is expecting developers to update their own icons with dark mode variants, I don't think it would be hard for Apple to "force" a dark mode on some icons the way it can "force" tinted icons.

For example, the August app and the ParkMobile app are solid colors with a white logo. I don't think it's impossible for the same system tinting icons to replace the background (which it can already do) and just put a red gradient filter over the August logo, or a green gradient filter over the ParkMobile logo.

Or for another example, ChatGPT, Threads, Mapper, and ProCam are all already black icons. They could easily replace the black background with a matching dark gradient, or conversely force a "light mode" icon by just inverting them.

Obviously, it wouldn't work for every app, and also the system doesn't just inherently know "oh this icon should be considered the "light mode" one, let me generate a "dark mode" one, or vice versa. However, I do not think it's impossible. The tinted icons already prove Apple can *mostly* detect icon elements, separate and tint them, and do background replacement. The only difference between the tinted icons and and a forced dark mode icon would be applying a matching color gradient to the original icon's colors, instead of a solid user chosen one.
I’m guessing it has something to do with something similar to how PNG files have that “no layer” at the parts around and in between gaps of the image… if that makes sense. I wonder if some icons are easy to change the color because of the lack of layer and others the OS just has to filter the entire icon to the chosen color.

Reactions: MegaBlue

MegaBlue

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2022
Tennessee, United States
I’m guessing it has something to do with something similar to how PNG files have that “no layer” at the parts around and in between gaps of the image… if that makes sense. I wonder if some icons are easy to change the color because of the lack of layer and others the OS just has to filter the entire icon to the chosen color.
You’re probably right. I bet it comes down to how the developer designed the icon if it’s able to separate it or not.

Still, I think it could probably identify a color out of the app’s most dominant one and apply it the way it applies a tint to the icons it does work well with. You’d just have to figure out how to disable it on certain icons.

tehabe

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2018
Hamburg
Does iOS 18 change its behaviour towards captive portals in public Wi-Fi nerworks? The current one can be very annoying. They just pop up would prefer a notification to open it.

Reactions: lsquare

flexwithmarius

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2022
The new icons "theming" option is a bit messy, at least for now. Dark mode only applies to the default Apple apps which is horrible. 3rd party apps still have default icons. Hope they 'll fix this.
It’s up to the developers to add a dark mode and greyscale (used for tint) variant of their app icons.

I’m in the process of re-designing mine and couldn’t figure out why dark mode wasn’t automatically working but tint was.

myllian

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2017
[QUOTE="myllian’] Could you elaborate? what is different than before?

Oh, that's a welcome change!
Thanks!

Reactions: gwhizkids

Mr.Mozi

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2020
Interesting how literally no one is talking about the fact that the Phone app is now showing contact pictures of the recent callers. I had this problem since day 1! So happy they added this! Also, T9 calling and the redesigned recent callers are nice

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
Does iOS 18 change its behaviour towards captive portals in public Wi-Fi nerworks? The current one can be very annoying. They just pop up would prefer a notification to open it.
Best to ask this in the thread for the beta itself. This thread is for surfacing features that were not announced at the keynote.

Natya Sadella

Suspended
Jun 20, 2016
Can we please go back to the topic of this thread?! „All the little things“? This thread is about little changes that weren’t in the keynote

Reactions: Ansath
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.