Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

ps3zocker

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
When using the reachability gesture, the Dynamic Island now only moves down with the screen if it has something to display. Otherwise that space is empty.

Attachments

• IMG_4361.PNG
    IMG_4361.PNG
    654.5 KB · Views: 144

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
The Privacy & Security view has been streamlined and is much clearer now in showing what type of content your apps can access.

Attachments

• IMG_9812.jpeg
    IMG_9812.jpeg
    113 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_9813.jpeg
    IMG_9813.jpeg
    159.2 KB · Views: 100

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
Surfacing shortcuts via the Siri Suggestions pulldown is much, much improved. In iOS 17, you had to more or less type the whole name to get it and even then it was hit or (more frequently) miss. Now it's instantaneous.

ps3zocker

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
It's probably a bit technical, but if developers are in here as well, I have written down my thoughts on the iPad's new tabs design and why it's bad. If you're feeling the same way, this is the time to get feedback to Apple to change things before launch.

Reactions: Populus

mhuggies

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2024
Aw man, I absolutely hate this feature - this is one of the reasons I hate the Android dialer. I like that you simply tap the entry to call the person ... hope this gets reversed.
I don’t think you have to worry. According to earlier posts you can still tap to call, you just have to be a bit more accurate:

“Before you could touch anywhere on a phone call ‘card’ in the Recents tab and it would immediately place a call to that person. Now, tapping in most places on the card will just get you info about the caller. To return a call, you have to tap on the round blue phone icon at the far right.”

Effectively, they have swapped the blue “i” button with a “call” button. I think it’s a good compromise, but might take a bit of getting used to

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
Apologies if I missed this somewhere in this thread. Looks like we can track naps now. I didn’t have the sleep focus on. My Apple Watch is also on the developer beta. View attachment 2388691

I thought something had changed, just noticed yesterday my watch seemed to have tracked a nap I took! This is huge to me because having a little kid my sleep schedule is all over the place, I’ve always been frustrated how if I would wake up for even a minute to go to the bathroom it wouldn’t track my sleep for the rest of the night.

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
Are those sounds (Click, Cluck, Eh, La, Mug…) new on iOS 18?
I believe those are all new, but they were introduced several weeks ago with Apple’s other accessibility announcements. In addition to those sound-based actions, there are also Vocal Shortcuts, which I’ve activated. Allows you to just say a single word and a shortcut will run. I have the word “cam” opening the camera. Very quick and can be done even from a locked phone. Opens the camera in about 1.5 seconds. Great for hands free situation when you can‘t fumble to tap the lockscreen camera icon (or if you remove it altogether). This is a glimpse of what may be ahead if Apple’s plans for Apple Intelligence pan out.

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
I don’t think you have to worry. According to earlier posts you can still tap to call, you just have to be a bit more accurate:

“Before you could touch anywhere on a phone call ‘card’ in the Recents tab and it would immediately place a call to that person. Now, tapping in most places on the card will just get you info about the caller. To return a call, you have to tap on the round blue phone icon at the far right.”

Effectively, they have swapped the blue “i” button with a “call” button. I think it’s a good compromise, but might take a bit of getting used to
Nicely put! 😁

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
It's probably a bit technical, but if developers are in here as well, I have written down my thoughts on the iPad's new tabs design and why it's bad. If you're feeling the same way, this is the time to get feedback to Apple to change things before launch.

Very nice write up. Captures a lot that non-developers (and operating system giants) don’t necessarily think about but should.

floku

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2012
Any new dictionaries in the Dictionary app? I am especially interested if there are any new German to other languages e.g. German/Spanish. So far there are 3: German (Duden), German/French, German/English.

Thanks!

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
Aw man, I absolutely hate this feature - this is one of the reasons I hate the Android dialer. I like that you simply tap the entry to call the person ... hope this gets reversed.
Can't you just hit the phone icon next to the entry? This feature should satisfy everyone, Tap name , get info. Tap icon make callback. I like it and has been needed for EVER!

Diopter

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2023
Can't you just hit the phone icon next to the entry? This feature should satisfy everyone, Tap name , get info. Tap icon make callback. I like it and has been needed for EVER!
I agree, this is a fantastic and much-needed change! With the previous design it was far too easy to accidentally dial one of the numbers when you intended to look at their information. Now you can still directly return the call if you want to, but it's far less likely that you'll accidentally do so. And now it displays the contact photos. 2 x finally!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.