Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
How do you get the “likely spam” warning? Is a third party app or iOS 18 itself? Is it only available on UK? Does it rely on any website or database?

Thank you.

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I believe those are all new, but they were introduced several weeks ago with Apple’s other accessibility announcements. In addition to those sound-based actions, there are also Vocal Shortcuts, which I’ve activated. Allows you to just say a single word and a shortcut will run. I have the word “cam” opening the camera. Very quick and can be done even from a locked phone. Opens the camera in about 1.5 seconds. Great for hands free situation when you can‘t fumble to tap the lockscreen camera icon (or if you remove it altogether). This is a glimpse of what may be ahead if Apple’s plans for Apple Intelligence pan out.
Do you think there’s a risk of someone saying “cam” near you, and triggering your camera? Or maybe it’s using Machine Learning voice recognition? If you have some geek friends by your side, you could ask them to say “cam” to your iPhone and see what happens :p

But yeah, those voice shortcuts along with the ability to move the pointer with your eyesight (that’s a bit clunky from what I saw on YouTube), are great features.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
How do you get the “likely spam” warning? Is a third party app or iOS 18 itself? Is it only available on UK? Does it rely on any website or database?

Thank you.
I believe the carrier has to support it.

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
Do you think there’s a risk of someone saying “cam” near you, and triggering your camera? Or maybe it’s using Machine Learning voice recognition? If you have some geek friends by your side, you could ask them to say “cam” to your iPhone and see what happens :p

But yeah, those voice shortcuts along with the ability to move the pointer with your eyesight (that’s a bit clunky from what I saw on YouTube), are great features.
Actually, afterI set this up, camera started opening spontaneously. So I disabled it last night and was planning to come up with a less frequently heard word as the trigger today. The problem is, despite having turned off vocal controls altogether something is causing the camera to open by itself every few minutes even in smbient silent conditions (it’s happened twice as I write this post, for example). Ugh.

Feedback time!

And yeah the eyesight tracking thing has a lot of potential but is not yet ready for prime time. More feedback!

Last edited:

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008

Thank you.
I see this from both the Hiya and Truecaller apps

nheilweil

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Redmond, WA
I don’t seem to be getting the new Record button when on a phone call. Guessing it hasn’t been enabled in B1. Anyone else see it? I’m on an AT&T 15 Pro Max.

Ansath

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 9, 2018
I don’t seem to be getting the new Record button when on a phone call. Guessing it hasn’t been enabled in B1. Anyone else see it? I’m on an AT&T 15 Pro Max.
That’s part of Apple Intelligence, I think (it’s on the Apple Intelligence page on their site) which is in beta later in the summer.

DaveMcM76

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Yes, you can still use the light mode icons even when iOS is set to dark mode.

The tinted icons only come in one style for now, with a dark background.

in iOS 17 dark mode had dark widgets with “light” (only option) icons and it seems that combination is no longer possible in iOS 18, icons and widgets are either now both dark or both light unless I’ve missed something?

Paddle1

macrumors 603
May 1, 2013
And it appears on the screen like on @Paddle1 screenshot? I wonder if those apps would work in Spain, for Spanish spamcallers…

Is iOS 18 or 17 a requirement? Or does it work on iOS 16 as well?
The spam warning in my screenshot is just a feature of the Canadian carrier I was using that automatically flags incoming calls from numbers they believe to be suspicious. Sorry for the confusion. It does work on iOS 17 as well, not sure about 16.

That’s part of Apple Intelligence, I think (it’s on the Apple Intelligence page on their site) which is in beta later in the summer.
Actually call recording is on the regular iOS 18 page. I haven't seen it in the beta though.

Reactions: gank41 and Populus

Ansath

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 9, 2018
Actually call recording is on the regular iOS 18 page. I haven't seen it in the beta though.

Actually, it’s on both. I missed it on the iOS 18 page, after you said, I checked both and definitely on both pages. That’s confusing!

It’s just not in the beta yet, and will come in a later one, I guess.

Reactions: Paddle1

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
A nice addition to the Lockscreen customization when using photo shuffle. In the customization screen where you add pictures, a long press will now show options and allow users to delete the photos from the photo library.

Attachments

• IMG_9832.png
    IMG_9832.png
    1 MB · Views: 116

Stiille

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2024
9to5mac did posted a news that you now can use math calculations in every text window - just type for example “5+7-9= “ and it shows the result above the keyboard ! That’s so nice

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
I don't know if this was already mentioned...

Not only did iPadOS 18 finally included a Calculator app, the iOS 18 Calculator app seems to have the same features including Math Notes...

Natya Sadella

Suspended
Jun 20, 2016
I don't know if this was already mentioned...

Not only did iPadOS 18 finally included a Calculator app, the iOS 18 Calculator app seems to have the same features including Math Notes...
This was mentioned. In the keynote. Super prominent.

TitsLegendary

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2013
Aw man, I absolutely hate this feature - this is one of the reasons I hate the Android dialer. I like that you simply tap the entry to call the person ... hope this gets reversed.
Far too many times I get calls from people in error because they went to hang up but the other line hung up before them and they hit my number from the recent call list. I love that they changed this design. At minimum, I wish they would add a pop up when you press a recent call asking you if you want to call this number.

aliakio

macrumors member
May 16, 2022
I agree, this is a fantastic and much-needed change! With the previous design it was far too easy to accidentally dial one of the numbers when you intended to look at their information. Now you can still directly return the call if you want to, but it's far less likely that you'll accidentally do so. And now it displays the contact photos. 2 x finally!
The classic scenario: during a call and trying to tap the red end button to end call but the other party tapped it faster than you. So it ended tapping accidentally the contact name in the recent call list that it is in the same height with the end button. If u know what I mean. And these days with the fast 4G and 5G networks there is no delay between tapping and hearing the calling sound. So embarrassing.

Reactions: Dj64Mk7 and Diopter

Just_Kevin

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2024
Agree fully on the accidental calls. Coming from android this has been one of my annoyances.

Another is related to the messaging app and not knowing which line the text came from. Meaning, one name with a work cell number and a personal cell number. I cannot tell which number the text is from. It got to the point I needed to add a second contact entry. So I have First name, Last name_personal and _work. I haven’t seen that mentioned as being fixed.

Reactions: JeepGC and Diopter
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.