Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
My IMAP mail issue ...

tldr I think I know the issue and how to fix it.

I was playing with my account settings now I'm back on iOS 17.5.1 and hit the same error when amending something, just as a test. It seems I've hit a years old bug. You know, one of those bugs that Apple must know about but can't be arsed to fix.

It's this bug:

My assumption is that, during the upgrade, this bug was silently hit and hence the config couldn't successfully be re-created. And of course I couldn't edit it to re-enter the password without hitting the above bug. Which, of course, isn't fixed in iOS 18. Because, you know.

So my plan is to delete all my email aliases ("send from" addresses) and get it so I can make changes in iOS 17, and then hopefully the upgrade will be fine. I'll then add the aliases back again.

I'm going to wait until the next beta anyway, as despite my initial excitement of being able to customise the home-screens and control centre, when I did that I found I couldn't make it look any better than I already have them.

Last edited:

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Looks like it’s the new “Analyzing scenes/Finding duplicates”.

On that note, my phone’s taking WAY longer to “optimize” everything. Like, at least twice as long as on old iOS. It’s still on the charger every night so nothing’s changed except for the new version.
Looking at the battery usage, my Photos app has been doing a lot of overnight background work since upgrading to iOS 18 compared to just before. That seems to have returned to normal after three nights.

Ansath

Cancelled
Jun 9, 2018
Is there significant changes on Apple Music (and iOS 18 beta 1)?

not much other than that, really.

• Sad
Reactions: MCKLMT

robertmorris2

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2006
Key West
Has anyone had trouble with having to reinstall programs every day? Not all of them but about 30%? I know all of them have not been optimized for 18 .

dcp10

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
You could be correct, although I could swear i saw it on the developer portal. Perhaps it was pulled?

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Was playing around with icon / widget placement anywhere on my 15PM.
It appears that icons and some widgets (depending on placement) will mix up your screen. While other times widgets will float over everything and not let you place them.

See below.

Reactions: Brachaci

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
I have the same request. Been curious about this too.
Generally, like this (though the spacing on the rows on mine here are a little off because I use the Siri Suggested Apps widgets to populate my main homescreen

IMG_1180.png

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN

C7 POWER

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2015
Charlotte, NC
I still only have SMS as what shows in my text entry field when I text one of them "green bubble" folks. It does not give me MMS and I do have MMS enabled in settings.

Only other thing I do not like so far is when I open a picture in my album, it opens it much smaller and doesnt open full size like it used to in prior iOS versions (If that makes sense)

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
While it only pertains to the Home tab so far, we have progress in the Apple Music app.

Behold, no pop or rap:

Attachments

• IMG_6226.png
    IMG_6226.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 68

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Was playing around with icon / widget placement anywhere on my 15PM.
It appears that icons and some widgets (depending on placement) will mix up your screen. While other times widgets will float over everything and not let you place them.

See below.

View attachment 2388860

Yes, this is absolutely typical beta 1 behavior... trust that they will sort it out as the beta progresses...

Ansath

Cancelled
Jun 9, 2018
I still only have SMS as what shows in my text entry field when I text one of them "green bubble" folks. It does not give me MMS and I do have MMS enabled in settings.

Only other thing I do not like so far is when I open a picture in my album, it opens it much smaller and doesnt open full size like it used to in prior iOS versions (If that makes sense)
It’s only using MMS (as it stands for multimedia messaging system) when sending images. If you’re just sending text, that’s SMS, so the prompt will only say SMS on that basis.

Reactions: Macx69

digitalfx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
You have to select walking. I just tried here is the image.
View attachment 2388687
thats not a topo map
Apple Map on Left, true Topo Map on Right

Topo is short for Topography...or the elevations/countours of the ground. Its not a Topo map if it doesnt display elevations

Attachments

• IMG_3601.PNG
    IMG_3601.PNG
    510.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3602.PNG
    IMG_3602.PNG
    1.8 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.