Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I’m aware of that. I meant to say enabling betas would make it searchable again.
I think it just gets added to the Dock when you run a beta and then gets removed from the dock upon install of the release. AT least on macOS. If it was hidden on iOS or iPadOS, you wouldn't be able to enter the URL scheme to open it.

Last edited:

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I just updated everything (well, mostly everything) : ATV4k 2nd gen, iPad mini 6, iPhone 13 mini to 18.0 RC and watch S8 to watchOS 11.0 RC. 15 MBA M2 to Sequoia.

Godspeed.
Just curious, if tomorrow is likely the official release, and maybe the build number is different, why not wait a few hours to see what happens?

In any case, good luck, I also like to update all my devices at once for feature parity. But I think I’ll wait until 18.0.1 or 18.0.2

Reactions: JemTheWire

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Just curious, if tomorrow is likely the official release, and maybe the build number is different, why not wait a few hours to see what happens?

In any case, good luck, I also like to update all my devices at once for feature parity. But I think I’ll wait until 18.0.1 or 18.0.2
Just get a head start on testing. Tomorrow is Monday and I do have other things to do than fiddle with 5 devices at once :p

Reactions: gank41

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
Seems very buggy for a release coming out tomorrow. Occasional lag while scrolling and typing. Sometimes keyboard doesn’t open like it should on some apps including safari forcing me to close and restart the apps. Have had messages app fail to pull up photos for selecting photos to send, as in I press the “+” button and nothing happens, have to close and restart messages app to “fix” it. Overall doesn’t seem like a polished release. This is on an iPhone 15 and an M1 iPP.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
I just found out you can still use macOS 10.15 Catalina and upgrade to iOS 18.x

I know I said I'll stay on the latest update to iOS 17 but now I'm going to upgrade to iOS 18.0 RC even though I really don't like the Photos redesign [and other changes from iOS 16.7 onwards]

The non-beta build number most likely will be different to the iOS 18.0 RC

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ

I thought it was the 18th (Wednesday), but I’ve been wrong before.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
if final release is not Rc build can you stay on it for a while or will it eventually pop up its an expired beta like proper betas?

Not sure I would stay but just curiosity sake

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Even if you turn off automatic updates you receive popup

for an RC?

--

good reminder if you don't want to be on beta train: turn public beta option off after upgrading to RC so you dont stay on that path and just get official upgrades moving forward.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
Was there some kind of automatic OTA background update on RC or it’s visual bug?

iOS 18.0 (22A3354)
So the same as on first post.

Since today I see a note in Settings > Battery about update being finalized in background but I am on 18.0 Beta since Beta1 and updated to Beta RC by Monday…

This was for sure not yesterday.

Stiille

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2024
Was there some kind of automatic OTA background update on RC or it’s visual bug?

iOS 18.0 (22A3354)
So the same as on first post.

Since today I see a note in Settings > Battery about update being finalized in background but I am on 18.0 Beta since Beta1 and updated to Beta RC by Monday…

This was for sure not yesterday.

Had this for few days too. Don’t worry it appears and disappears.

one more

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Seems very buggy for a release coming out tomorrow. Occasional lag while scrolling and typing. Sometimes keyboard doesn’t open like it should on some apps including safari forcing me to close and restart the apps. Have had messages app fail to pull up photos for selecting photos to send, as in I press the “+” button and nothing happens, have to close and restart messages app to “fix” it. Overall doesn’t seem like a polished release. This is on an iPhone 15 and an M1 iPP.

None of your described issues on my iPhone 15. 🤔 Perhaps try reinstalling the RC or a public release with an IPSW file.

Reactions: addamas

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
I’m aware of that. I meant to say enabling betas would make it searchable again.
Totally Agree - installing Beta should create an icon to launch Feedback app / shortcut.

There is also one more way to open it - there is Control Center widget called I think “Feedback Assistant” in "Utilities" next to Calculator.

Edit: Strange, section "Utilities" (in English (US)) is translated as "Other" in Polish language.

Shin-Ra

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2008
Favicons - try closing and reopening Safari. I have had it in previous betas and they repopulated for me once I closed and reopened the browser;

PDFs - the only workaround I found was saving the PDF into Files first and then copying the text from there.
Yeah, my first Safari force-quit after the favicons reverted fixed the issue, so far. Just the long-MIA Amazon icon fix remaining.

Also my first router restart since updating to the RC seems to have encouraged both iPad and iPhone onto WPA3 Personal reliably.

ryanmcv

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I'm currently running the RC and turned off beta updates in settings. What happens if the build number of tomorrow’s public release is different from the RC build? I assume I won't be offered the OTA update in Settings since it won't be 18.0.1. Will I have to download the IPSW and do the update from my Mac to get the newer/final build?

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I'm currently running the RC and turned off beta updates in settings. What happens if the build number of tomorrow’s public release is different from the RC build? I assume I won't be offered the OTA update in Settings since it won't be 18.0.1. Will I have to download the IPSW and do the update from my Mac to get the newer/final build?
If you are running the iOS 18 RC and have turned off the beta updates, and the build of the GA release tomorrow is different (it will be the same or higher), then you will be offered the update via the Settings > Software Update process. The version (18.0 v 18.0.1) won't matter - it will be a later build, so the update will be there for you to install OTA. It will work just like beta updates - the version was the same (18.0), but subsequent beta releases had higher build numbers, so the update was offered.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
If you are running the iOS 18 RC and have turned off the beta updates, and the build of the GA release tomorrow is different (it will be the same or higher), then you will be offered the update via the Settings > Software Update process. The version (18.0 v 18.0.1) won't matter - it will be a later build, so the update will be there for you to install OTA. It will work just like beta updates - the version was the same (18.0), but subsequent beta releases had higher build numbers, so the update was offered.

I will be curious if any of the devices have different builds

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.