Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

christian.terra

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
I noticed a quite heavy change, in the wrong direction (for me at least) - they removed the „select all“ button from all photos…now again have to select all photos manually …!!!
you can also tap select and swipe, not as quick but works.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
If you've configured your router to allocate IP addresses to specific MAC addresses then you'll get a different IP address each time you connect. Plus, if the MAC address "rotates" (Private W-Fi Address set to" Rotating" rather than "Fixed") during a connection you may even get a new IP address while in the middle of something.

The "Private Wi-Fi Address" toggle should be set to "Off" for home networks (and maybe work ones too) to stop the above issue.

Thanks for your answer. I get how it works, and I don’t have my router configured to allocate specific IPs to specific MAC addresses.

However my lease duration is set to a very long period, and I think this created issues since the default is “Fixed” for private WiFi addresses. A reboot of the router hosting the DHCP server fixed it both on iPhone and iPad.

Reactions: adrianlondon

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Sorry if this has already been mentioned but I searched and found nothing matching this.

Since the RC release has anyone noticed that some icons which had transitioned to Dark Mode have now gone back to light mode. Some of the Microsoft icons have done this (but not all) and an assortment of others which were all dark on the last Public Beta are now light again.
Yep same here. Apple had apparently set up something to make certain icons dark even if the app developer had not included dark ones yet. Perhaps that got turned off in this build waiting on devs to update their own now. Who knows but I suspect new app updates will start fixing that as they come out or another update/build on release day will re-enable it.

Reactions: MalcolmJID

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Thanks for your answer. I get how it works, and I don’t have my router configured to allocate specific IPs to specific MAC addresses.

However my lease duration is set to a very long period, and I think this created issues since the default is “Fixed” for private WiFi addresses. A reboot of the router hosting the DHCP server fixed it both on iPhone and iPad.
"Fixed" means it'll allocate a made-up MAC address for a particular Wi-Fi address, and it'll then give the same MAC address each time you connect to that network, but only to that network. Other networks will get a different MAC address.

I know that "Off" presents the original hardware MAC address. These three options ("Rotate", "Fixed", "Off") only came about a few betas in. I complained, as I have both 5GHz and 2.4GHZ networks and there was no way to stop MacOS from giving different MAC addresses to each one, until they added the "Off" option. I'm happy now :)

CrispAppleNerd

Suspended
Aug 26, 2024
I for one have seen some pretty terrible battery life from the RC. It was for sure way better 2 betas ago. Now it’s not just certain apps that drain the battery, but anything. Not real happy with this being the full release.

Reactions: mikelets456

CrispAppleNerd

Suspended
Aug 26, 2024
I thought beta 7 was amazing with battery life and everything was smooth with the exception of a few minor items.

Yep, it was better than 8 and now RC. Can’t really explain why that would be the case. All the logging stuff of beta software should be removed now.

Put my tinfoil hat on for a second. Apple just wants me to upgrade my phone (they have been telling me this for over a year now), so they nerfed my phone on iOS 18 .

• Haha
Reactions: mikelets456

joshwithachance

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2009
Battery life is NOT good on the RC. At least not for me on a 15 Pro Max… And I’m also experiencing random stutters when typing sometimes. But overall, performance is decent.

Reactions: mikiotty

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
Hi all, how to enable "answer by nodding" to incoming call?

This is what you’ll see in Settings>[your] AirPods Pro

b98e52ba033d45ca1ecc0e82e8f3950e.jpg

Shin-Ra

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2008
Issues I’ve encountered in the RC:

• Favicons just reverted to generic letter icons for all my favourites in Safari (after initially working)
  • Safari’s status bar tap, scrolling to the top of web pages is less buggy than iPad OS 17 but still occurs rarely and requires a force quit to fix
  • PDF’s opened in Safari can’t copy highlighted text
  • My Lock Screen Home ‘Sleep’ shortcut doesn’t stay highlighted after it’s pressed (all lights are off)
  • Scrolling is very juddery in the new Control Centre controls gallery
Probably more of a Home OS issue but immediately after updating my HP mini, the brightness of my Nanoleaf A19/A60 bulbs got much dimmer. I get the impression the adaptive lighting full-night colour temperature has got warmer, effectively reducing brightness. Even at 100% it’s dimmer than 80% was just prior to updating.

MakaniKai

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2023
An entire RCS group chat I had created earlier in the beta has disappeared with this latest update :C
It came back after one of the group members messaged me. No idea what that was about. I checked the trash, it wasn’t there, it just randomly went away. Oh well, at least it’s back

ps3zocker

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
Am I missing something or is it still not possible that the wallpaper darkens itself in dark (UI) mode? (The option to do it manually in the customization sheet is there.) It makes no sense to me that it would not also automatically toggle that. Why would I want a bright wallpaper in dark mode by default? At the same time I don't want a dark wallpaper with light icons.

Reactions: cruelfoolish

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
The quickest way I can find is to touch the last photo and swipe gently to the left (that turns on the multiple-select swipey thing) then swipe to the top right. It'll select everything as it scrolls quickly to the first photo.

Shin-Ra

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2008
The new Passwords app reveals the method your device is using to secure communications with a WiFi access point. I’ve configured WPA2&3 Personal on an access point but both an iPhone and an iPad often show they’re connected with WPA2 in the Passwords app. A Mac running Sonoma has the preferred behaviour of always using WPA3 with the same access point.

Zefiro

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2024
Since the first betas of Ios and Ipados 18 I have problems with Mail and with an Imap account. It is an educational account and works perfectly with all other devices (17.6. 1 and even with MacOs18 Beta Rc).
The data that I enter in the settings are obviously correct, mail accepts the credentials, lets me save the account, but when I open the app, it does not download the messages. Everything remains empty.
Is it an Apple problem or an account problem? Why does this only happen on Ios and IpasOs18? I have tried all the solutions, including reinstalling the app, but nothing works.
Serious and annoying problem that will affect many people on Monday.

Last edited:

P_Watt

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2018
Some else has high Cellular Data consumption from the System Services since iOS 18?

I noticed this since iOS 16 that the System Services have a high Consumption (many Threads are here an in the Apple Communites) especially the Software Updates Service. But i have eveything off, from iCloud to the Update Check for new iOS Version, i denieded the AppStore to use mobile Data and all other Things like GameCenter etc...

Since iOS 18 the System Service General (in Germany called "Allgemein") has a Consumption from 20 to 40 MB per Day.
Are you using Lyca Mobile? That used exactly 40MB a day for me, never found where it went, Changed provider to fix that.

Subliminal87

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2015
Battery life is NOT good on the RC. At least not for me on a 15 Pro Max… And I’m also experiencing random stutters when typing sometimes. But overall, performance is decent.
I have an iPhone 15 pro. Still having some lag or whatever when typing fast.

I also noticed my battery is weird. I took my phone off the charger at 1am when I got up yesterday. Went back to sleep, woke up at 6 and my battery was already at 80% from 100%.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.