Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flynnsworth

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2023
I took the plunge on an iPad Pro 13‑inch (M4) this afternoon after visiting the Apple Store.

This feels very much like the iPad I thought I was getting when I bought the 12.9-inch M1.

I use Dark Mode on all of my devices and I genuinely despise the previous Mini-LED displays due to the horrendous blooming.

I have read posts about grain on some of these new OLED displays, but I did not see any grain in store and there is none on my IPP.

In my opinion, this display is absolutely incredible with real blacks, crisp whites and vibrant colours. Response time / Motion blur is also vastly improved to my eye.

It feels considerably lighter and due to the thinness it feels much more manageable.

I tried the Magic Keyboard in store and while it is a big improvement on the original, I probably won’t buy 1 due to the weight and cost.

The Smart Folio is nice (as expected) and has improved adjustability. It is also sadly overpriced. I’ve not yet tested the pencil.

I am disappointed that we don’t get a charging plug in the box for a £2k+ device. I’m going to enjoy this iPad.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
Ask me anything and I'll respond between work meetings :)
Is the new iPad/keyboard combo any better for using while sitting on a couch? The old one couldn't do the angles needed and weighed too much with the 12.9" iPad Pro.

jon9091

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Is the new iPad/keyboard combo any better for using while sitting on a couch? The old one couldn't do the angles needed and weighed too much with the 12.9" iPad Pro.
I weighed my 2020 iPad Pro 13” with Magic Keyboard, and my 2024 iPad Pro 13” with Magic Keyboard...the difference in weight was negligible. The new keyboard and trackpad are much nicer, however. The available angles are identical.

Reactions: pdoherty

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
Picked up my iPad Pro 13” M4 256 GB Wifi space black with Magic Keyboard just now from Apple Sydney

First impressions
  • The iPad is ridiculously thin and noticeably lighter than the M2 iPP I had
  • When combined with the lighter new keyboard, it feels much easier to carry around than the old combo. The old combo was much thicker and heavier than the 13" MBA I had
  • New Magic Keyboard feels more premium on the inside. Keyboard lights up automatically when you attach the iPad.
  • The outisde of the keyboard is the same sticky silicone material as past versions. Not a fan so would be adding a skin to protect it soon.
  • The OLED screen is definitely more crisp and clear and pops more off the screen compared to the mini LED on the M2. But I'm also one of those people who use screen protectors and I applied one as soon I took the iPad out the box.
  • You need to update the software during the setup process.

Ask me anything and I'll respond between work meetings :)

View attachment 2378104 View attachment 2378105 View attachment 2378108 View attachment 2378106 View attachment 2378107 View attachment 2378109
Picked up my space black, 13”, 1TB, Cellular model with black Magic Keyboard, SmartFolio and PencilPro. The thinness and weight difference is noticeable without the SmartFolio. The Magic Keyboard is definitely more premium and better. PSA: the PencilPro magnet is not as strong with the thinner device — so make sure you add it to FindMy immediately as that doesn’t occur automatically. 🙏🏽

th1nk

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
what impresses me is even though my screen is already covered in fingerprints and smudges like hell, as soon as you switch on the display it looks as if it is totally clean because the display just „powers through“. no need to clean it up every time you want to use it as a laptop screen in the Magic Keyboard or watching some videos. this screen is just absolutely stunning and everything I have hoped for ever since being annoyed by the blooming of the mini LED model. I am a display nerd and this thing is the real deal.

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
I would say it similiar to past gen’s.
I don’t think the new keyboard in the bottom flap is any heavier so there is still chance of toppling over

Cirillo Gherardo

macrumors regular
May 9, 2024
My feelings so far:

- The display on the 13” is absolutely fantastic. Best display Apple has made to date. I watched The Hobbit as my test of 4k HDR content on the OLED display and my goodness, it is stunning. Another note on the display: ProMotion feels smoother than on previous generations…no stuttering like I’m used to from ProMotion’s VBR. Scrolling in Safari is a dream, and looks far better than on my MacBook Pro.

- The Magic Keyboard is a truly stunning accessory. This is the first one I’ve purchased to go with an iPad and it‘s truly a Mac-like experience. Extremely high quality accessory. The only thing I “don’t” like about it is that I don’t always need the keyboard, and it’s an awkward when just using the iPad as an iPad. On a nightstand watching a movie for example. But it works. The thing I do like is I can easily remove it to hold the iPad for playing a game, and when I do I have just the iPad and not a big bulky case as I’ve previously used for protection.

- The size and weight achievement on the 13” is something to be marveled at.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
20240517_072828.jpg

I opted for the Space Black iPad Pro with the White Magic Keyboard... first impressions, the whole package is the selling point (full stop).

And this is coming from me... who hated the fact Apple made it a requirement to buy new accessories for the iPad Pro, and I would honestly keep my M1 iPad Pro if the new accessories worked with it. But that's neither here nor there, so... let me stay on topic. I immediately notice the weight difference between the M1 iPad Pro and the new M4 Pro... thinness was definitely recognizable.

I decided to transfer everything by way of device-to-device method, initially told me it was going to take 20-25 minutes... but actually took over an hour, nearly two. I didn't really check to see when it actually finished... went to sleep while it transferred. And when I woke up... I decided to get a good grasp of what it was like viewing photos and videos on an OLED display made by Apple.

And I have to admit, it didn't give off the pop as I had hoped. No doubt, there is see some differences in the viewing experience between the M1 Pro and M4 Pro... but not significant. Maybe it's a testament to how great Apple displays are to begin with. Now, I can immediately see the improvements in ProMotion... animations and moving around the OS is incredibly smooth.

If anything, OLED improved upon 120hz more in comparison to the viewing experience... and it's not as if the M1 Pro was terrible. But there's a major difference between the two and if I recommend anyone who asked should they upgrade to it... it would be because of the ProMotion feature.

And the star of the entire setup is the Magic Keyboard, besides endorsing ProMotion... right behind that would be the Magic Keyboard. But I know some folks use their iPad solely as a tablet and don't really care for using a keyboard. However, I think for me that could be part of the reason I decide to keep M4 Pro over the M1 Pro... since I use the keyboard overwhelming with the iPad.

I like everything about the new Magic Keyboard... from the added dedicated keys (function row) to the larger trackpad. And the overall look is pretty dope, but if there is one thing Apple need to improve on... having some lip (ridge) or whatever the term is called near the trackpad to open it up easier.

2986924042_2e6b255eee_z.png

Last edited:

th1nk

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
View attachment 2379331
I opted for the Space Black iPad Pro with the White Magic Keyboard... first impressions, the whole package is the selling point (full stop).

And this is coming from me... who hated the fact Apple made it a requirement to buy new accessories for the iPad Pro, and I would honestly keep my M1 iPad Pro if the new accessories worked with it. But that's neither here nor there, so... let me stay on topic. I immediately notice the weight difference between the M1 iPad Pro and the new M4 Pro... thinness was definitely recognizable.

I decided to transfer everything by way of device-to-device method, initially told me it was going to take 20-25 minutes... but actually took over an hour, nearly two. I didn't really check to see when it actually finished... went to sleep while it transferred. And when I woke up... I decided to get a good grasp of what it was like viewing photos and videos on an OLED display made by Apple.

And I have to admit, it didn't give off the pop as I had hoped. No doubt, there is see some differences in the viewing experience between the M1 Pro and M4 Pro... but not significant. Maybe it's a testament to how great Apple displays are to begin with. Now, I can immediately see the improvements in ProMotion... animations and moving around the OS was incredibly smooth.

If anything, OLED improved upon 120hz more in comparison to the viewing experience... and it's not as if the M1 Pro was terrible. But there's a major difference between the two and if I recommend anyone who asked should they upgrade to it... it would be because of the ProMotion feature.

And the star of the entire setup is the Magic Keyboard, besides endorsing ProMotion... right behind that would be the Magic Keyboard. But I know some folks use their iPad solely as a tablet and don't really care for using a keyboard. However, I think for me that could be part of the reason I decide to keep M4 Pro over the M1 Pro... since I use the keyboard overwhelming with the iPad.

I like everything about the new Magic Keyboard... from the added dedicated keys (function row) to the larger trackpad. And the overall look is pretty dope, but if there is one thing Apple need to improve on... having some lip (ridge) or whatever the term is called near the trackpad to open it up easier.

View attachment 2379349
yeah opening the MKB is a bit of a struggle I agree. I think they maybe decided against that lip because it would lead to a smaller trackpad? there is just very little space below it.

I am opening the MKB by standing it upright on the hinge and then pulling the keyboard down towards me, it‘s much easier that way.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
View attachment 2379331

And I have to admit, it didn't give off the pop as I had hoped. No doubt, there is see some differences in the viewing experience between the M1 Pro and M4 Pro... but not significant. Maybe it's a testament to how great Apple displays are to begin with. Now, I can immediately see the improvements in ProMotion... animations and moving around the OS was incredibly smooth.

View attachment 2379349
yeah the trackpad is what sold me to get it and function keys. I was going to rock just Smart Folio but I'm glad I pulled the trigger it's such an enjoyable experience.

Reactions: Ludatyk and Snoggin

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
I weighed my 2020 iPad Pro 13” with Magic Keyboard, and my 2024 iPad Pro 13” with Magic Keyboard...the difference in weight was negligible. The new keyboard and trackpad are much nicer, however. The available angles are identical.
So sounds like no good for couch use. That's a bummer.

kave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden
This is my 13” vs my 11” m1. The 13” is so much brighter. I am not a big fan of this magic keyboard either, iPad OS is not very good with a trackpad imho and I dont like a round mouse pointer. I have ordered the 11” but currently I am keeping the 13”, I love the more square display form and the full size screen keyboard with numerical keys and copy paste etc. This is after 30 minutes of use in the sun and 23C degrees:
i-TQkLH9X-X3.jpg

twyles

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2012
UK
This 13” Pro is my 3rd iPad, after the iPad 3 Retina and 10.5” Pro. I haven’t yet got used to the size of the screen when holding it but I am loving using the Magic Keyboard with it. The quality of the display is awesome but what has blown me away is the difference in performance. Literally every app launch is instantaneous, as is swapping between them.

Yet to be suitably impressed with the pencil but I’ve ordered one of the Astropads to try with it.

First time with access to Stage Manager on an iPad and whilst it’s helpful I still don’t think it’s good enough for multi tasking - resizing is poor as is repositioning.

Overall as pretty much everyone says - awesome hardware but the OS needs enhancing. Not full blown MacOS, but just doing what it does better.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
View attachment 2379331

And I have to admit, it didn't give off the pop as I had hoped. No doubt, there is see some differences in the viewing experience between the M1 Pro and M4 Pro... but not significant. Maybe it's a testament to how great Apple displays are to begin with. Now, I can immediately see the improvements in ProMotion... animations and moving around the OS is incredibly smooth.

View attachment 2379349

I seem to be using it the same way you do and I share your impressions 100%!

Reactions: Ludatyk

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
yeah opening the MKB is a bit of a struggle I agree. I think they maybe decided against that lip because it would lead to a smaller trackpad? there is just very little space below it.

I am opening the MKB by standing it upright on the hinge and then pulling the keyboard down towards me, it‘s much easier that way.

I used to do that with the old one. But now with the new one, standing the Magic Keyboard upright on the hinge tends to be slippery on a wooden desk and I am also afraid of scratches. That part is quite annoying.

DeepSix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2022
M4 ipad screen is brighter but it's still not bright enough to be used in bright sunlight. So what's the point? Make the M4 have 10,000 nits and now we are talking about something usuable in sunlight. 1000 nits is still not bright enough and most phones are much more than that. My phone is 1750 nits.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Is anybody using a screen protector with their iPad?
I never really use screen protectors on an iPad... however, I have been thinking of trying out that Paperlike screen protector since I hear so much about it.

I am putting one on today as I am worried about the screen making contact with the metal palm rests on the new magic keyboard. I can see when it's closed they make contact.
Not sure if you haven't noticed... but there's a strip going around the keyboard to act as a cushion/shield to protect the screen.

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2017
Ok

I am putting one on today as I am worried about the screen making contact with the metal palm rests on the new magic keyboard. I can see when it's closed they make contact.
Which one are you buying?

Also when you guys are not using the magic keyboard and want to use the iPad to just write/draw, do you use a case? Are some of you not worried about using the iPad without no case when not using the keyboard?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.