Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeepSix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2022
Ok

I am putting one on today as I am worried about the screen making contact with the metal palm rests on the new magic keyboard. I can see when it's closed they make contact.
Sounds like it rushed design flaw from Apple. This is what happens when a manufacturer is so obsessed about just making a device thinner and nothing else.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Sounds like it rushed design flaw from Apple. This is what happens when a manufacturer is so obsessed about just making a device thinner and nothing else.
Not sure if you looked at my replied to this post... but Apple actually designed the Magic Keyboard to prevent this.

20240517_122742.jpg

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
Which one are you buying?

Also when you guys are not using the magic keyboard and want to use the iPad to just write/draw, do you use a case? Are some of you not worried about using the iPad without no case when not using the keyboard?
I have put one on mine 2 reasons:
  1. I have kids, there is no way on this planet they will not scratch it
  2. I don’t like the “dragging” feeling when drawing on the (unprotected) screen, where there is a clear bit and then a finger print/mark. It’s only subtle but I do notice it. So I have gone for a paper like type protector.
Yes it is slightly noticeable in bright light that there is a protector on it, but you get used to it (I did on my 2020 IPP). But it is such an amazing screen…. I could always get rid of the kids and have not protector!!

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I never really use screen protectors on an iPad... however, I have been thinking of trying out that Paperlike screen protector since I hear so much about it.

Not sure if you haven't noticed... but there's a strip going around the keyboard to act as a cushion/shield to protect the screen.

The PaperLike will dull the screen.

gsal

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2019
Who is the first to drop their iPad Pro on the new Magic Keyboard? I almost did when i misaligned the magnets but managed to catch it just in time. I’m guessing that we will see quite a few dented magic keyboards going forward. 😂

cmbarclay

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2009
Not sure if you looked at my replied to this post... but Apple actually designed the Magic Keyboard to prevent this.

View attachment 2379460
I see it on mine but I worry that when I travel and it's in my bag the top of the screen will rub against the bottom of the palm rests. The clearance is micro small and the slightest pressure they make contact.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
This is my 13” vs my 11” m1. The 13” is so much brighter. I am not a big fan of this magic keyboard either, iPad OS is not very good with a trackpad imho and I dont like a round mouse pointer. I have ordered the 11” but currently I am keeping the 13”, I love the more square display form and the full size screen keyboard with numerical keys and copy paste etc. This is after 30 minutes of use in the sun and 23C degrees:
i-TQkLH9X-X3.jpg

that looks pretty substantial ! Nice

Reactions: kave

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I see it on mine but I worry that when I travel and it's in my bag the top of the screen will rub against the bottom of the palm rests. The clearance is micro small and the slightest pressure they make contact.
If adding a screen protector alleviates your concerns... then by all means, go for it. I'm just letting you know that Apple have placed preventative measures to avoid the screen contacting the Magic Keyboard (palm rest area).

And I travel with my iPad everywhere I go, and I don't plan on buying a screen protector (definitely purchasing Apple Care though).

lsara

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2015
Is anybody using a screen protector with their iPad?
I always use a screen protector with mine. Various reasons but as someone who worked servicing Apple devices previously I have seen so much happen to them it’s worth it to me. As is AppleCare+.

I have an ESR screen protector. Installation was a breeze with their tray and it doesn’t take away from the quality at all.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
So sounds like no good for couch use. That's a bummer.
I’m conscious that I’ve been using a Magic Keyboard for a total of a day and a half and I’m talking to people who have been using one for years, so other people probably thought of this wayyy before I did, but…

Have you tried tilting the main hinge forward so that the iPad touches the back of the keyboard, instead of floating a few centimetres above it? Like so:

IMG_1062.jpeg

I’ve started doing it and it’s made the setup feel a lot more balanced.

Reactions: Snoggin and jazz1

Enygmatic

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2015
Various
I replaced my wife’s 1TB M2 11” iPad Pro and my 1TB M2 12.9” iPad Pro with the new versions of each (bumped up to 2TB for mine); here is my general takeaway - it’s all about the accessories and dimensions for me; all about the new screen for her. Front-facing camera for both of us.

Coming from the 12.9” mini-LED screen, this new one isn’t that jaw-droppingly different, in my opinion. It’s better, sure, and objectively a more contrasty and brighter image, but upgrading simply on the screen would be a terribly difficult justification for me. It’s better by any measure, but minimally so. The brightness boost is appreciated, though - that’ll be useful. Using the tablet sans case/folio, the decrease in thickness and weight is substantial, especially when holding for prolonged periods of time. I can confirm that, even though thinner, mine feels more sturdy and rigid in hand than my 12.9”, which had a bit of a warp to it.

For her, since the 11” never got the mini-LED treatment, the screen improvement is quite literally night and day. The changes in size/weight dimensions for the 11” are rather negligible.

As someone who uses the Smart Keyboard daily, as well as the Apple Pencil, those upgrades (although upsetting a bit that they required a new tablet to utilize) were Day 1 “must haves” for me, and are substantially better across the board in every way compared to their predecessors - from materials (keyboard) to functionality (both). The only thing I utilize daily for work more often than the Smart Keyboard/Pencil combo is the front-facing camera. For my current use case (aside from the occasional book/article reading in portrait mode), the new camera placement alone was worth the price of admission. It’s a game-changer for my work collaboration and client meetings; my wife lives on FaceTime with her family, so it’s an immediate improvement for her as well.

All in all, although Apple’s trade-in value for our “older” tablets was rather paltry (I didn’t feel like being bothered with finding a buyer and going through all of that), I’m very happy with my decision. Between the Military Program pricing, and the trade-ins, I didn’t come out too bad - and I fully intend on keeping these for at least 3-4 years or longer (unless we’re all shocked… SHOCKED, I say… with the next few rounds of WWDC introducing something that can/will truly tax these things computationally). I’ll see how I feel around July, when the “new new” feeling has completely dissipated.

Last edited:

Aragornii

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
View attachment 2379331
I opted for the Space Black iPad Pro with the White Magic Keyboard... first impressions, the whole package is the selling point (full stop).

And this is coming from me... who hated the fact Apple made it a requirement to buy new accessories for the iPad Pro, and I would honestly keep my M1 iPad Pro if the new accessories worked with it. But that's neither here nor there, so... let me stay on topic. I immediately notice the weight difference between the M1 iPad Pro and the new M4 Pro... thinness was definitely recognizable.

I decided to transfer everything by way of device-to-device method, initially told me it was going to take 20-25 minutes... but actually took over an hour, nearly two. I didn't really check to see when it actually finished... went to sleep while it transferred. And when I woke up... I decided to get a good grasp of what it was like viewing photos and videos on an OLED display made by Apple.

And I have to admit, it didn't give off the pop as I had hoped. No doubt, there is see some differences in the viewing experience between the M1 Pro and M4 Pro... but not significant. Maybe it's a testament to how great Apple displays are to begin with. Now, I can immediately see the improvements in ProMotion... animations and moving around the OS is incredibly smooth.

If anything, OLED improved upon 120hz more in comparison to the viewing experience... and it's not as if the M1 Pro was terrible. But there's a major difference between the two and if I recommend anyone who asked should they upgrade to it... it would be because of the ProMotion feature.

And the star of the entire setup is the Magic Keyboard, besides endorsing ProMotion... right behind that would be the Magic Keyboard. But I know some folks use their iPad solely as a tablet and don't really care for using a keyboard. However, I think for me that could be part of the reason I decide to keep M4 Pro over the M1 Pro... since I use the keyboard overwhelming with the iPad.

I like everything about the new Magic Keyboard... from the added dedicated keys (function row) to the larger trackpad. And the overall look is pretty dope, but if there is one thing Apple need to improve on... having some lip (ridge) or whatever the term is called near the trackpad to open it up easier.

View attachment 2379349
It is much easier to open if you lift from the side rather than the front. one finger on each side near the front and it lifts open very easily.

Reactions: TQT

mtulman1

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2015
I’m conscious that I’ve been using a Magic Keyboard for a total of a day and a half and I’m talking to people who have been using one for years, so other people probably thought of this wayyy before I did, but…

Have you tried tilting the main hinge forward so that the iPad touches the back of the keyboard, instead of floating a few centimetres above it? Like so:

View attachment 2379585

I’ve started doing it and it’s made the setup feel a lot more balanced.
My mind is blown trying this with my M1 12.9. Awkward angle though but never tried it.

Reactions: nj-morris

DaveOZ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
I’m sitting outside in the morning sun with my iPad Pro 13 and I’m astounded by the readability of the screen with polarised sun glasses on. This is the first time I can clearly read a tablet with these glasses on. It even works in either orientation which the Samsung Tabs cannot do. It’s so bright and clear.

It’s a beautiful day here in Surfers Paradise too, might head to the beach. :cool:

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2017
I have put one on mine 2 reasons:
  1. I have kids, there is no way on this planet they will not scratch it
  2. I don’t like the “dragging” feeling when drawing on the (unprotected) screen, where there is a clear bit and then a finger print/mark. It’s only subtle but I do notice it. So I have gone for a paper like type protector.
Yes it is slightly noticeable in bright light that there is a protector on it, but you get used to it (I did on my 2020 IPP). But it is such an amazing screen…. I could always get rid of the kids and have not protector!!
Which protector are you using?

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Anybody with the M4 13" and Magic Keyboard try using it bed? How did it work out? I like to use my laptop in bed on my thighs but am curious if this is comfortable/not too top heavy with the now lighter M4. Thanks.

kave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden
I’m sitting outside in the morning sun with my iPad Pro 13 and I’m astounded by the readability of the screen with polarised sun glasses on. This is the first time I can clearly read a tablet with these glasses on. It even works in either orientation which the Samsung Tabs cannot do. It’s so bright and clear.

It’s a beautiful day here in Surfers Paradise too, might head to the beach. :cool:
Sounds great, hey, its a beautiful day even in Sweden :)

F23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Yes I saw that. Unfortunately that's not going to do anything, there's barely anything there. The lip should be raised at least a couple inches above the surface.
a couple of INCHES? :eek:

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
Which protector are you using?

I wouldn’t recommend it tho. It’s quite noticeable when on, I have one on my older IPP that is barely noticeable but I can’t remember which one it was!!

Think I will leave this one on until more come out with reviews.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
I replaced my wife’s 1TB M2 11” iPad Pro and my 1TB M2 12.9” iPad Pro with the new versions of each (bumped up to 2TB for mine); here is my general takeaway - it’s all about the accessories and dimensions for me; all about the new screen for her. Front-facing camera for both of us.

Coming from the 12.9” mini-LED screen, this new one isn’t that jaw-droppingly different, in my opinion. It’s better, sure, and objectively a more contrasty and brighter image, but upgrading simply on the screen would be a terribly difficult justification for me. It’s better by any measure, but minimally so. The brightness boost is appreciated, though - that’ll be useful.
It isn't brighter though. They both do 1000 nits total screen and 1600 nit area brightness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.