Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
I’m sitting outside in the morning sun with my iPad Pro 13 and I’m astounded by the readability of the screen with polarised sun glasses on. This is the first time I can clearly read a tablet with these glasses on. It even works in either orientation which the Samsung Tabs cannot do. It’s so bright and clear.

It’s a beautiful day here in Surfers Paradise too, might head to the beach. :cool:
How does the new iPad work as a frisbee? Let us know!

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
It is brighter in general use (SDR) where the miniLED is only 600 nits. You are wrong.
OK but why is that when both displays do the same 1000/1600 nits? Is there some reason the miniLED can't do that or is this just an Apple decision based on battery life or some other software choice?

th1nk

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
OK but why is that when both displays do the same 1000/1600 nits? Is there some reason the miniLED can't do that or is this just an Apple decision based on battery life or some other software choice?
I guess it has to do with heat and battery life, yes. It is a software cap by Apple even though the display hardware is capable. The MacBook Pro displays do the same but you can override it via a little program on those devices. On iPad you are out of luck though.

achappy

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2017
Does it change anything when trying to use the iPad while sitting on a couch?

So I’m trying this out now on an M1 and it makes a huge difference. In the normal position I have to rest my palms to keep the iPad from tipping as it will tip immediately. With this new position, it doesn’t tip at all. And if you want, you can play with the position where the iPad is just above the numbers to improve the angle. For my case this isn’t bad because I don’t use the number rows that much.

Reactions: pdoherty

Enygmatic

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2015
Various
It isn't brighter though. They both do 1000 nits total screen and 1600 nit area brightness.
Not sure what you think, but I had the 12.9” and 13” side by side… the newer one is objectively much brighter for non-HDR content (1000 vs. 600 nits).

As an added bonus, the new oled screen is also usable (full brightness) in either orientation while wearing polarized sunglasses, which wasn’t the case with the previous versions

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
Specs aside, I'm glad to see the 2024 iPad Pro improve on some issues I experience with my other iPads, including:

Personal 2017 iPad Pro 12.9" (A10X Fusion, LCD): stage lights issue. Had my original unit replaced for it, and the replacement later developed it too

Work 2022 iPad Pro 12.9" (M2, mini LED): shadow along all edges of the screen, an artifact of the backlight arrangement

Reactions: klasma

kave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden
I guess it has to do with heat and battery life, yes. It is a software cap by Apple even though the display hardware is capable. The MacBook Pro displays do the same but you can override it via a little program on those devices. On iPad you are out of luck though.
The 13.4” Air is brighter than the 16“ Pro in sdr use as well.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
Yes I saw that. Unfortunately that's not going to do anything, there's barely anything there. The lip should be raised at least a couple inches above the surface.
A couple of inches? Would that not get in the way?

Image for lip illustration purposes only.

Attachments

• IMG_3211.jpeg
    IMG_3211.jpeg
    176.4 KB · Views: 54

Ryatzu

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2016
This is the protector I'm using on my iPad Pro M1 12.9" and it's very nice.

I applied a screen protector and removed it right away. It gives to much glare. Its even unusable outside with the sun.

Reactions: EugW and AVBeatMan

tomms11

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2013
Pennsylvania
My random observations—-

For me, I didn’t notice the OLED difference from the prior mini-LED display of the M2 at first, but I finally saw a difference when in darker conditions and in a bright outdoor environment.

The new Magic Keyboard includes a lock/unlock button in its row of function keys, which is a much-welcomed feature.

The cellular iPad (first one for me after years of exclusively having Wi-Fi only) seems to have a much better signal/data speeds than my iPhone 15 Pro Max on Verizon.

Just a few of my thoughts since launch day last week.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
The new Magic Keyboard includes a lock/unlock button in its row of function keys, which is a much-welcomed feature.
This! It's such an underrated feature... because I don't have to reach up and tap the power (lock/unlock) button on the iPad. And I know it's very small in the grand scheme of things... but as you stated it's much-welcomed.

Because I do this quite a bit when I step away from the iPad.

Reactions: tomms11

Broken Hope

macrumors 68000
Jan 15, 2015
That would guarantee no scratches because the glass doesn't come in contact with the metal.
Which shouldn’t scratch it anyway as on the Jerryrig YouTube video the screen didn’t scratch until a hardness of 5 was used.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Haven’t read all the replies so not sure if others have this issue…putting the lock key right above the delete key probably wasn’t the best idea. I don’t always look at the keyboard when I’m typing and I’m constantly locking my device when I mean to delete something.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Anything above 600 nits probably requires the backlight dimming zones to be so bright that it would make regular UI look bad due to the raised black level (black would be very visibly gray). Whereas the new OLED panel can have one pixel pure black (zero nits) and the neighboring pixel at full brightness (1000 or 1600 nits). That’s not possible with mini-LED.

Reactions: Onimusha370

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
Anything above 600 nits probably requires the backlight dimming zones to be so bright that it would make regular UI look bad due to the raised black level (black would be very visibly gray). Whereas the new OLED panel can have one pixel pure black (zero nits) and the neighboring pixel at full brightness (1000 or 1600 nits). That’s not possible with mini-LED.
Nice - I’d been thinking about this recently but this helped me crystallise those thoughts :)

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
Blooming wouldn’t be visible if the extra brightness was being used to fight off sunlight levels of ambient lighting. If the user was raising the brightness that high indoors then yes, I could see that being a problem.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Blooming wouldn’t be visible if the extra brightness was being used to fight off sunlight levels of ambient lighting. If the user was raising the brightness that high indoors then yes, I could see that being a problem.
Yes, but I suspect they didn’t want to support and advertise it if it looks bad indoors. Effectively, it would mean that the UI, instead of having a dynamic range of 0–600, would be displayed with a dynamic range of 400–1000, or something like that. People would then call them out on false advertising because the SDR still only covers a delta of 600 nits.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.