Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
I agree. I have given the Android TV based nVidia Shield TV a try 2 times...once with their 2015 version, then sold it after a few months, as it seemed that Google had given up on Android TV. Then nVidia announced their new 2017 model of the Shield, just came out in January. So I thought I'd give it another try since we actually have a 4k TV now and there is more content now. Same specs as the previous Shield TV model with updated controller/remote. It is nice. I'll say that, but still, Google REALLY needs to step up their game in the TV/channel apps. Apple has 2 times the amount of TV/cable station apps for Apple TV, than Android TV does. The only benefit is the Shield TV is 4k, which I like, for VUDU and Netflix in 4k, its a solid performer...of course until Apple updates the Apple TV with a 4k version. If VUDU does release an Apple TV app (as rumored), that'll be a deal breaker. Absolutely.

Until then, I'm slightly struggling with using this damned Android TV as our main box, over the Apple TV which has moved to being used with a bedroom TV.
As was mentioned elsewhere, the SmartTVs fill most of the same needs of the Shield unless you use it for gaming or as a Plex server. The AppleTV is much harder to replace with other devices because it has so many Apple-only features built in. The Photos, Airplay, Podcasts, Apple Movies, Apple Music, iTunes (via the computer app), etc. As long as Apple keeps this stuff in their own garden, I think it will continue to make them money. As I have mentioned before, they need 4k support, but it needed that from the onset.

I would worry more about companies like Roku that aren't doing much more than the Smart TVs at this point.

YellowFever15

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2017
First let me say that we are currently a 100% Apple house - iPhones, iPads, MacBook and several generations of Apple TV. We live in the UK. We have cut the cord with Sky !!

We use a number of streaming sources for our TV - Netflix, Amazon Prime and all the UK Catch Up Channels. Live TV comes from satellite as the terrestrial TV where we live is rather weak and satellite seems to be of better quality (higher bit rate ?).

So where does this leave the Apple TV ?? BBC iPlayer and Netflix - But where are all the other Apps ??

Almost any Samsung or LG smart TV Has support for the main Apps - even our Samsung DVD Player has better support than the Apple TV.

If Apple doesn't get off its backside and start to get some serious App support from the main media sources it is being quickly overtaken by almost every supplier of smart TV's.

Comments please before we dump the Apple TV in favour of a better supported platform.

I think it will take time. My dad is a fan of amazon. TV habits have changed and we are not loyal to a particular product when it comes to TV, unlike our use of phones

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
First let me say that we are currently a 100% Apple house - iPhones, iPads, MacBook and several generations of Apple TV. We live in the UK. We have cut the cord with Sky !!

We use a number of streaming sources for our TV - Netflix, Amazon Prime and all the UK Catch Up Channels. Live TV comes from satellite as the terrestrial TV where we live is rather weak and satellite seems to be of better quality (higher bit rate ?).

So where does this leave the Apple TV ?? BBC iPlayer and Netflix - But where are all the other Apps ??

Almost any Samsung or LG smart TV Has support for the main Apps - even our Samsung DVD Player has better support than the Apple TV.

If Apple doesn't get off its backside and start to get some serious App support from the main media sources it is being quickly overtaken by almost every supplier of smart TV's.

Comments please before we dump the Apple TV in favour of a better supported platform.

First off therein lies your problem: smart TV
Why pay more for any size or feature in a TV to be "smart" when it does the exact OPPOSITE of what the name suggests? TV's have always had some sort of remote box externally and still do simply because it was never designed to be it's own OS ... there is no need to have to "install updates" or "reboot your TV due to an update"; that premise is just absurd to me. I'm surprised no hacking community thought it to be fun to push a hack to have your kids watching something worse than Heavy Metal vs their TreeHouse programming.

Let's not forgetting entering your credentials 1 click at a time, at least the AppleTV could pair with a wireless BT keyboard, and with ATV4 auto sync what's on your iOS/MacOS device credentials.

smart TV = 'this is just nuts' (IMHO)

Sell the Smart TV's get regular TV's

Keep the ATV its' doing what it's supposed to do and their gaining traction with content providers. Apple is taking it's time because by market and marketing there are LARGER competitors both in the USA and globally. Apple does NOT want to piss off content providers such as Sony that provides them more than just movies, but TV shows and music as well.

Business and life lesson: Never bite the hand that feeds you and don't be too greedy.

PS: too bad we couldn't say the same with Apple's pricing for 3yrs on nMacPro until this months changes.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
My fire stick does pretty much everything that my Apple TV does. And runs stuff like Kodi. I rarely use my Apple TV now. I keep waiting for some big update that will differentiate the Apple TV from my fire stick. But it doesn't seem likely to happen. I think what you are mainly paying for is the Apple name and quality. Overall I get more use from my $40 fire stick than my $150 Apple TV box.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
My fire stick does pretty much everything that my Apple TV does. And runs stuff like Kodi. I rarely use my Apple TV now. I keep waiting for some big update that will differentiate the Apple TV from my fire stick. But it doesn't seem likely to happen. I think what you are mainly paying for is the Apple name and quality. Overall I get more use from my $40 fire stick than my $150 Apple TV box.
You are paying for the Apple Ecosystem as much as anything. For me it is worth having for that reason.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
You are paying for the Apple Ecosystem as much as anything. For me it is worth having for that reason.

I thought so to. But unless you shelled out big bucks on iTunes stuff. You can untie yourself from the ecosystem very easily. I was surprised how easy it was to do that in my case.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
I thought so to. But unless you shelled out big bucks on iTunes stuff. You can untie yourself from the ecosystem very easily. I was surprised how easy it was to do that in my case.
If you stop or don't use Apple products or services. I don't own iTunes movies, but I do use Podcasts, iTunes, Apple Music, Airplay/Mirroring and Photos. You can use similar apps, but if you are on iOS, none of them have the same level of convenience as Apple's services.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
First off therein lies your problem: smart TV
Why pay more for any size or feature in a TV to be "smart" when it does the exact OPPOSITE of what the name suggests?

What you say makes no sense. A "smart TV" is still smarter than a "regular" TV. Most "normal" people just want Netflix. That's it. End of Story. A Smart TV saves them aggravation and headaches and there's some people (even in my immediate family, sad to say) that just don't "get" computers or computer-like devices. Their brains aren't wired that way and any extra gadgets has them calling me telling me they stopped working or some crap. Rebooting one doesn't occur to them. Crashing has no meaning to them. Even switching inputs can be confusing to them. So if a "smart TV" can make that simple to get to Netflix with a big "Netflix button", hell it's worth it's weight in gold in terms of not getting blood pressure raising phone calls from said family members. I've got better things to do than play Tech Nanny all day long.

TV's have always had some sort of remote box externally and still do simply because it was never designed to be it's own OS

I'm sorry, but that's an absurd thing to say given how OLD the television is in general. They didn't "always" have a remote box. They didn't even exist in color for over two decades later, let alone "boxes" connected to them (or remotes). Cable didn't exist until 1948 and wasn't widespread for decades more. They were often giant furniture grade items.

... there is no need to have to "install updates" or "reboot your TV due to an update"; that premise is just absurd to me. I'm surprised no hacking community thought it to be fun to push a hack to have your kids watching something worse than Heavy Metal vs their TreeHouse programming.

If it's absurd, you're caught somewhere between knowing little of the history of television and living in the modern age. HDTVs didn't have HD tuners when they first came out (and they were expensive so manufacturers were loathe to include them for some time as they drop up the price of the TV and people using cable didn't need them). It doesn't mean it wasn't a handy thing to have them in the set (connect antenna and instant HD programming free of charge). There was a good long period between most sets only having VHF/UHF and being "cable ready" (i.e. you didn't need a set top box if you had basic cable). Without descrambling premium channels, it was just another remote to keep track of. I doubt many would argue it was "better" to have to connect a separate cable box just for the hell of it.

Let's not forgetting entering your credentials 1 click at a time, at least the AppleTV could pair with a wireless BT keyboard, and with ATV4 auto sync what's on your iOS/MacOS device credentials.

You STILL have to do that crap with "remote boxes" anyway, so WTF is the difference?

The obvious down side to having a computer in the television itself is that it will likely become outdated long before the monitor itself is outdated (I still have a Sony CRT in a little used room from 1995 and my mother has a Panasonic 57" HDTV from 1999 that is tube-based projection and it's huge, but it still works). There are some smart TVs that could run Kodi, but they're already pretty darn slow with newer versions. Still, some people like them, so good for them from my POV.

smart TV = 'this is just nuts' (IMHO)

Sounds like a personal issue to me. What's nuts about all-in-one anything? People buy all-in-one stereos all the time. They're not the highest grade equipment, but they are simpler to connect, use and usually take up less space.

Sell the Smart phones and get regular cell phones! Smart phones are killing social society along with Facebook, etc. that turn people into dungeon dwellers watching Facebook all day and night and walking texting zombies that walk right into traffic.

Business and life lesson: Never bite the hand that feeds you and don't be too greedy.

And yet you support Apple?

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2015

I don't like Smart TVs because I haven't seen it done right but any of those companies and the OS is neglected over time but the issue is they're the only option at this point, not to mention some even have rogue phone home features hidden like with LG. It's very hard to find non-smart TV now a days still being manufactured.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
I don't like Smart TVs because I haven't seen it done right but any of those companies and the OS is neglected over time but the issue is they're the only option at this point, not to mention some even have rogue phone home features hidden like with LG. It's very hard to find non-smart TV now a days still being manufactured.
I like them for their convenience and all of the digital stuff will be outdated at some point, so this isn't any different. You aren't required to ever use the smart features, so it is just an add on that a lot of people will use. I am pretty happy with the way my Samsung handles the smart features, other than needing to put in my credentials after each update, but they are not alone in that arena.

I use Youtube more on my SmartTV than on any of my other boxes. I also prefer the interface to the Youtube interface on the AppleTV.

I don't see the SmartTV as a replacement for AppleTV, as I mentioned above, because it does not have access to Apple's ecosystem. It does have most of the stuff that the Roku has, so I would be more worried about them going away as more people update their TVs. There isn't much to differentiate Roku or even the FireTV from the Smart TV at this point for most people that simply can live with Youtube, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Pandora, and Plex.

Reactions: BeefCake 15

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

What there are just as many if not MORE non-smart TV's now a days. You're only looking at the higher price range and/or limited brick and mortar store fronts. At any time I can goto BestBuy and find a 22-52" LCD TV or OLED TV that has absolutely NO smart features.

Just patience and look around.
[doublepost=1492490321][/doublepost]
What you say makes no sense. A "smart TV" is still smarter than a "regular" TV. Most "normal" people just want Netflix. That's it. End of Story. A Smart TV saves them aggravation and headaches and there's some people (even in my immediate family, sad to say) that just don't "get" computers or computer-like devices. Their brains aren't wired that way and any extra gadgets has them calling me telling me they stopped working or some crap. Rebooting one doesn't occur to them. Crashing has no meaning to them. Even switching inputs can be confusing to them. So if a "smart TV" can make that simple to get to Netflix with a big "Netflix button", hell it's worth it's weight in gold in terms of not getting blood pressure raising phone calls from said family members. I've got better things to do than play Tech Nanny all day long.
What I said makes PERFECT sense.

That big ol red NETFLIX button needs to be setup just like on a smartphone except with a bitmap display keyboard that you have to "hunt-and-peck" with a wand not a keyboard. So in that respect the smart tv is NOT so smart.

Updates STILL apply,
Reboots STILL apply.

What don't you get about either concept here. Those that technologically inclined anywhere will have issues and will need to adjust. The fact and point I'm making is most TV's last longer than current chips in a smart-TV so I wager just how long can OS updates support the TV over a 3-5-7yr time frame. Even if 'YOU' or 'I' upgrade the TV the one that's being replaced will be sold OR handed down to a child or teen in the family, so it will and should have a longer life. A set-top box like AppleTV does get support close to that long. Personally I don't use AppleTV4 I'm still on AppleTV3 and I'm finding the lines being blurred between exclusive use vs AirPlay from my iPhone.

I'm sorry, but that's an absurd thing to say given how OLD the television is in general. They didn't "always" have a remote box. They didn't even exist in color for over two decades later, let alone "boxes" connected to them (or remotes). Cable didn't exist until 1948 and wasn't widespread for decades more. They were often giant furniture grade items.

You misunderstood. TV's or OLD TV's had available a converter box or a box compatible. Heck my mothers Zenith Studio TV with the Applause Red Light Bulb on the top right hand corner was a UHF ONLY designed box. But those zenith 3 level switch boxes for Cable had a splitter that connected to the UHF antenna connection. So the TV outlasted those boxes ... I must've went through about 30 of them keeping quite all the while my Dad came home breaking out the solder gun and trying to fix them. Only for me to come home after school and my home made video game worked once again:

1st Row:
Rapid fire press EVERY channel as fast as you could with the same finger not hovering over each button 1-12 (I think),
SWITCH to
2nd Row: Repeat Row 1.
SWITCH to
3rd Row: Repeat Row 1 again.
Psss: see if you can a) get the TV to pause and slow down trying to catch up to all the channels you rapid fired through,
b) see if the TV mixed displays of each channel.

THIS was the new version of what I'm talking about (early 80's late 70's).

CoFi8bgVYAIGgj7.jpg

If it's absurd, you're caught somewhere between knowing little of the history of television and living in the modern age. HDTVs didn't have HD tuners when they first came out (and they were expensive so manufacturers were loathe to include them for some time as they drop up the price of the TV and people using cable didn't need them). It doesn't mean it wasn't a handy thing to have them in the set (connect antenna and instant HD programming free of charge). There was a good long period between most sets only having VHF/UHF and being "cable ready" (i.e. you didn't need a set top box if you had basic cable). Without descrambling premium channels, it was just another remote to keep track of. I doubt many would argue it was "better" to have to connect a separate cable box just for the hell of it.

Not sure where you where born but yes HDTV's 720i/720P/1080i/1080p DID actually come with Cable TV converters. What on earth are you talking about lol. Been around for 43yrs and at least 39yrs watching a TV, I've seen the evolution. You're just bent out of shape for some odd maniacal reason.

"VHF/UHF and being "cable ready" (i.e. you didn't need a set top box if you had basic cable)."
^ this only applied IF your TV was VHF ready ... if it was UHF only Cable would not work without some sort of Channel Changer (a precursor if you will to a 'set top box') and an adapter to connect to the UHF antenna.

You STILL have to do that crap with "remote boxes" anyway, so WTF is the difference?
The difference quite simple is the Remote Box, Set Top box etc CAN be replaced at a MUCH cheaper cost than having to overhaul the complete TV.

oh wait you answered with my rebuttal to the above just below. So you do understand.

The obvious down side to having a computer in the television itself is that it will likely become outdated long before the monitor itself is outdated (I still have a Sony CRT in a little used room from 1995 and my mother has a Panasonic 57" HDTV from 1999 that is tube-based projection and it's huge, but it still works). There are some smart TVs that could run Kodi, but they're already pretty darn slow with newer versions. Still, some people like them, so good for them from my POV.

Now you understand completely my point and thus it's NOT absurd. You finally got it. ;)
1999 is old in terms of TV's for you? Man you don't know how good you've had it do ya ;)

Sounds like a personal issue to me. What's nuts about all-in-one anything? People buy all-in-one stereos all the time. They're not the highest grade equipment, but they are simpler to connect, use and usually take up less space.

And therein lies the dead end to our debate. nobody is better than the other and that's why we live in a world of choice. Our thread started has a personal issue/opinion/conundrum and we both like other offer other sides of the thought process.

PS: Stereo's beyond quality, sound frequency and potentially the medium they use ALL do the same thing:
use sound waves to re-produce music or speech for entertainment or information.
AM/FM radio has long been perfected and thus the quality of speakers, amplifiers etc, cannot give us better quality than the limits of that medium. Once that was miniaturized and very cheap ... other mediums moved on and thus change began: records, 8-Tracks, Cassettes, Mini-Discs, digital Cassettes (LaserDiscs, HD-DVD/DVD/Blu-Ray) .... digital and now we're all about the codecs.

I cannot tell you how many Cassettes I've purchased and portable players and recorders I've gone through.

Sell the Smart phones and get regular cell phones! Smart phones are killing social society along with Facebook, etc. that turn people into dungeon dwellers watching Facebook all day and night and walking texting zombies that walk right into traffic.

There where MANY advantages that the feature phones had that smartphones in their day couldn't do ... and then the networks started getting stingy.

Example:
GSM networks allowed you to find out the Original Caller to the below scenario with just a dialled code:
Person A sets up Home Phone to forward call to Mothers place.
Mother had left for the weekend and forwarded calls to her sister.
Person a calls home and thus the connection begins.
Person B is the sister that picks up the phone call.
Person B can ONLY see Mother's phone on caller display, and you Person A says call me back.
- So how is Person B supposed to know the correct number to dial you, Person A at? ;)

That' just one of so many things the networks and phones now today cannot do.
There was lot I could do on a SonyEricsson K750/W810i etc that I loved and wouldn't be to unhappy to do now, but that screen would kill my eyes now that I've come accustomed to 4.7". BUT the NEEDS and USE then didn't show any experience to the NEEDS and USE today.

My argument was Smart TV's did not really show a greater USE/NEED beyond having a box today. ;)

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
What I said makes PERFECT sense.

Yeah, to you. :rolleyes:

That big ol red NETFLIX button needs to be setup just like on a smartphone except with a bitmap display keyboard that you have to "hunt-and-peck" with a wand not a keyboard. So in that respect the smart tv is NOT so smart.

Updates STILL apply,
Reboots STILL apply.

What don't you get about either concept here.

I "got it" just fine. YOU are the one that doesn't "get it" and instead of going into pointless details trying to convince you of something you will never be convinced of, it can be simplified to say, SOME PEOPLE (not you) *LIKE* Smart TVs. You clearly have zero conception of what it's like to have family members that don't comprehend technology. Yes, I might still have to set up their smart TV for them when they first get it, but I can do that over the phone. Trying to get my mother to connect boxes to her TV with cables she has no clue about is like pulling teeth. I know you don't believe me. But that's your whole problem. You only see things from one point of view, your own.

I don't have a need/use for a "smart TV" that I can think of offhand, but that doesn't mean I represent everyone else. Some people still play LPs. Some still play CDs. Just because others don't doesn't make them worthless to everyone. Clearly, the entire reason the industry still sells "smart TVs" is because some people LIKE them.

Those that technologically inclined anywhere will have issues and will need to adjust. The fact and point I'm making is most TV's last longer than current chips in a smart-TV so I wager just how long can OS updates support the TV over a 3-5-7yr time frame.

And some people will use Netflix for 3-5-7 years and then have to deal with an external box in that time frame. Is your external box going to last that long too? No, it too will probably be obsolete and need replaced in that time frame. Smart TVs are also just TVs too.

Even if 'YOU' or 'I' upgrade the TV the one that's being replaced will be sold OR handed down to a child or teen in the family, so it will and should have a longer life. A set-top box like AppleTV does get support close to that long. Personally I don't use AppleTV4 I'm still on AppleTV3 and I'm finding the lines being blurred between exclusive use vs AirPlay from my iPhone.

I've still got an AppleTV Gen1 unit (two in fact). That doesn't mean they get much use but they still work (720p only unless upgraded with a broadcom chip, which I've done to one, but it still sucks in speed of the GUI compared to a brand new FireTV 4K running Kodi. Slow doesn't mean worthless.

If you want to talk about a WASTE OF MONEY, look no further than Receivers sold ten years ago. I had a choice between a Yamaha model with or without HDMI. The HDMI model cost almost twice as much (no other difference between the two). I had component units at the time or ones that did both. I bought the component receiver for my home theater. It's now hopelessly out of date that everything is HDMI. But that doesn't mean the other one would have been a better choice either because its version of HDMI wouldn't support 3D, 4K, etc. and so it would still need a newer version. Guess what, you have to buy the whole receiver. I've got a "separates" system upstairs in my high-end music room. Once upon a time, they used to sell "separate" surround decoders. That makes sense for high-end. You only have to replace the out-of-date separate surround unit, not the entire receiver and you can even use a separate pre-amp and separate power amps for each channel! Yeah, good luck with that. It's a good thing I have an old Technics surround processor so I could add surround to my analog only "high-end" system because no one makes the damn things anymore. Almost everything is a receiver now for surround processing. Yeah, there's some boxes floating around Amazon, but they're not exactly high-end. I was able to add an HDMI switcher to the receiver downstairs for now so I can replace it later (things like Dolby Atmos still aren't mega-common yet, etc. and 8K is coming...etc. etc.).

The POINT is you can buy whatever you want, all-in-one, separates, etc. but that doesn't mean the market will play ball over time. Things change and you can't always predict what items will still be made. They could make a smart TV with a removable card slot/bus/whatever so it could be upgraded. Why would they want to? They want to sell you a new set. That's why we have all these new forms of LED, etc. Hey, thinner, brighter, more color bandwidth, etc. etc. Your "1080p" set from 5 years ago is OUTDATED even if it works perfectly fine. 4K costs less than 1080p did then in some cases. So is your TV *REALLY* going to be used for 3-5-7-10+ years? Or will some want the latest and greatest anyway? Some people trade their brand new cars in for a new one after only a year or two! Is there something wrong with them? Probably not. Do they want a newer one. Obviously.

You misunderstood. TV's or OLD TV's had available a converter box or a box compatible.

In the 1930s? 1940s? I'm saying TV is a lot older than the 1970s. Converter and cables boxes are a relatively recent development compared to TV's full lifespan.

Psss: see if you can a) get the TV to pause and slow down trying to catch up to all the channels you rapid fired through,

Yes, high speed channel "surfing" was a real thing once upon a time. It doesn't really work so well with newer cable boxes. They switch far too slow. They would need much faster CPUs, etc. and the industry has been slow to update to something that doesn't have a huge delay just moving the cursor up and down the channel guide, let alone get it to tune/decode in a fraction of a second.

Not sure where you where born but yes HDTV's 720i/720P/1080i/1080p DID actually come with Cable TV converters. What on earth are you talking about lol.

(Sigh). I'm over 40. Early HD sets were not all called "HDTVs". In fact, MOST in the late 1990s and early 200s were called "HD READY". That means they did not come with an over-the-air HD Tuner, technically making them a MONITOR at those resolutions, not a TELEVISION. I had a 57" Panasonic CRT based projector that did 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i. It had an NTSC tuner in it, but no HD tuner! This was COMMON then because a model with an HD Tuner typically cost considerably more than one without it! Plus the OTA broadcast standard wasn't finalized when the first TVs were coming out so they could hardly include a Tuner that wasn't standardized yet. I don't think ATSC had the first broadcast in HD in the USA until 1998! My Panasonic unit was a 2nd Gen HD television and I think I bought it in late 1998!

Been around for 43yrs and at least 39yrs watching a TV, I've seen the evolution. You're just bent out of shape for some odd maniacal reason.

Maniacal? You're the one telling everyone " smart TV = 'this is just nuts' ".

I'm simply saying different strokes for different folks.

The difference quite simple is the Remote Box, Set Top box etc CAN be replaced at a MUCH cheaper cost than having to overhaul the complete TV.

I dunno. I'm seeing 60" HDTVs with 4K selling for $800. My first AppleTV cost $399! Some High-end surround decoders cost over $3000 back in the 1990s that were "separate" units. Easy to replace? They had a lot more wires. I don't know if that is "easier". Cheaper? They were $3000. High-end isn't about cheap. What I"m saying is that you're making a lot of assumptions. How much more does it cost a TV set maker to include a smart feature today? $20? $50? When an Amazon FireTV Stick costs $35 and a 4K unit that has a pretty powerful CPU with over 1GB of ram only cost me $80, can I REALLY make assumptions that a Smart TV is a waste of money and pointless when it can still be upgraded like a non-Smart one??? You sure as hell seem to think so, but the numbers aren't what they used to be. That $3000 Surround Processor I'm talking about is put to SHAME with a plane vanilla $299 receiver today and htat thing includes all your switching and amplifier power. Some receivers even come with Netflix now! "Smart Receiver" ? Many have Airplay, Pandora and other features too. Pointless? Perhaps, but even if I ditch a 3rd Gen ATV and move to FireTV 4K, the Airplay feature is still there on the receiver for me or guests to easily use. The FireTV doesn't support Airplay (directly anyway).

Now you understand completely my point and thus it's NOT absurd. You finally got it. ;)

I suddenly "got it" at the end of the post? No, it's more like I know what you were saying all along, but what I or you want/like doesn't speak for everyone and that was the point I was trying so hard to get across.

1999 is old in terms of TV's for you? Man you don't know how good you've had it do ya ;)

Old is relative. 18 years is not that old for a car, but for a computer, it's practically on its way to being a museum piece (like my 1991 Commodore Amiga 3000 or my 1988 Commodore Amiga 500 or my 1983 Commodore C64 or my 1981 Commodore Vic-20 which ran on a cassette deck tape drive).

The 57" HDTV in question weighed over 150 pounds and was about 3 feet deep and had no HDMI on it. It cost $5500. A 57" 1080p LED set might cost you $400 now. But I've got a 20" set in the back room from 1987. The magnetic power switch is broken on it, but it got a lot of use in a kitchen for over a decade.

PS: Stereo's beyond quality, sound frequency and potentially the medium they use ALL do the same thing:
use sound waves to re-produce music or speech for entertainment or information.
AM/FM radio has long been perfected

Has it? I don't recall HD Radio until more recently. My Subaru gets FM quality stereo broadcasts on the AM band in "HD" Digital. It gets closer to CD quality on the FM band in digital. So I suppose it depends on what you mean by "perfected".

and thus the quality of speakers, amplifiers etc, cannot give us better quality than the limits of that medium.

They can give quality better than the limits of that medium. It's called using a different medium (e.g. SACD).

I cannot tell you how many Cassettes I've purchased and portable players and recorders I've gone through.

I hated cassettes. I actually liked 8-Track better (better sound quality and easier/faster to switch to a different song). Sadly, the cheap plastic parts in a typical 8-track album meant they were faster to break than even cassettes which were pretty horrible. I used cassettes to record music for the car. I used LPs until I got a CD player in 1987 and didn't 'look back' really until I started buying vinyl again in the 1990s, but even then I didn't buy a playback rig until three years ago (so I had loads of brand-new 1990s vinyl that was unopened and holy crap is some of it worth a small fortune!!! For example, my $42 1994 Pink Floyd PULSE box set on LP unopened has gone for $800-1200 and I've got one unopened and it will remain unopened). I don't think vinyl is "better" technologically, but there are some albums that sound better on vinyl because many CDs are compressed to hell. Better capability doesn't always mean better used.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
For me, it was very much alive until I bought a 4K TV. I now use the NVidia Shield 99% of the time. 4K media plus Pascal level gaming is hard to beat.

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
I think it had / has great potential , it just needs someone with a bit of go leading the team and pushing the whole agenda

Eddie cue is not the right guy by a long chalk

The ludicrous demands that apps use that awful remote and the 200mb limit were system killers from the off - did it really have a chance at all ? sad really

I know I like mine apart from siri which is utterly hopeless and the remote which is abysmal in every way

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
Definitely not dead, but quickly becoming irrelevent - especially outside the US. I think it's more of a missed opportunity than anything else. If Apple had pushed the games (and perhaps used an A8X chip) it could have picked up some of the casual gamine market but they fluffed it by requiring games work using the Siri remote. It works really well as a media streamer - all my DVD rips look great through InFuse with DTS support. But, this is a feature AppleTV should have had 5-6 years ago! Netflix and Hulu are ubiquitous across all platforms but Prime video and the lack of a UV playback app (VUDU etc) really hurts it in the US (50% of US homes have Prime!?) and likewise, the lack of ITV, Channel4, Five and UKTV catch-up apps in combination with the above renders it pointless next to a Fire Stick. Lack of 4K isn't really hurting it yet, but if an update (and App/iTunes support) doesn't come by Christmas will become a much worse issue.
Apple seemed to still belive 'if you build it they will come' with regard to App Stores on the Watach and AppleTV and that would probably have been true 3 years ago, but now it's become more about ecosystems it's unlikely we'll ever see Prime Video or VUDU unless AppleTV sales take off to the point these companies can't ignore it; but of course, it likely won't take off with the combination of price reletive to competitor products and lack of killer apps.

Reactions: tanfan

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
They couldn't force Amazon to release a Prime player. I read that one was and is ready to go, but Amazon was only going to release it if they felt compelled to do so and since FireTV is doing vastly better (probably thanks to Kodi + the questionable streaming add-ons the developers CLAIM to despise but let run anyway), what possible incentive could Amazon have to HELP their competitor? NONE is the answer. Apple shot themselves in the foot by not allowing games that required game controllers at first during the crucial roll-out (and not including one by default despite a price that was 1.5-2x the competition) and it's not really powerful enough to take on a Playstation III, let alone a IV or newer so what kind of games are people going to play? Solitaire? Yeah, that will sell some AppleTVs. Apple was counting on getting a TV deal to offer an alternative to cable, but no one wants to play with greedy Apple anymore so they're left with basically nothing special except the especially high price (1.5-2x FireTV 4K yet it can't even do 4K).

I brought all these up when it first came out and my god, the Kool-Aid was flowing by the gallon. No no, Apple is run by geniuses. Apple's stock has never been higher so they know what they're doing! Yeah, they sell iPhones at ridiculous prices (next one is $1000? For a FREAKING PHONE??!?!? Holy HELL Batman!) yet despite endless profits for their shareholders, their market share just keeps slowly dropping pointing to a future that mimics the 1990s with the Mac. Lots of money until there's not one do to lack of market share. Apple has done nothing to correct this because they're so damned greedy they don't want to "cannibalize" higher profit items. The problem is that's all there is! You can't capture market share with top-shelf only items. So AGAIN, I say it's just a matter of time until market share drops below a certain threshold and then it's all down hill with NO OTHER PRODUCTS from Apple that can make a dent in anything. The Mac has become an overpriced, underpowered JOKE, particularly at the desktop side of things (Mac Pro hopelessly out of date and Pros have already fled and aren't blood ylikely to come back even if they do put out a decent model next year. Pricing on the existing model shows where their minds are ($12,000 fully configured??? WTF is going to pay THAT for a machine with no internal storage capability and now outdated CPU and Thunderbolt Bus? A price drop? Big deal. It's still vastly overpriced and the external storage problem won't go away no matter what. iMacs are just not green at all. Throwing out a monitor with a computer because it's used? I don't know how/why that was EVER acceptable to anyone. The Mac Mini was downgraded to TOY status with the last update yet still costs more than a toy. There's not one Mac that can do VR. The Mac is pretty much dying off with Apple claiming no one wants a touchscreen or anything useful while Microsoft has the hardware solutions, but no one wants their phones. There's something so ironic about that....

FireTV is cheaper. FireTV lets you side-load without paying developer fees. FireTV isn't nearly so restrictive about what they let one their devices. It's too bad Apple couldn't have teamed up with Amazon (an option to play/rent iTunes stuff on the same device as a Prime one and with fully working Airplay would be nice since Kodi can't figure out how to get newer Airplay working again and I swear Kodi still skips on streamed music sometimes even on the 4K model but trying to get the Kodi Devs to fix anything that's not video-related is darn near impossible, especially when they won't even talk to normal users anymore), but I'm sure Apple's controlling nature would NEVER let such a thing happen. Netflix is smarter than either company. They let their app on anything and everything and that's why they're in no danger of disappearing despite a crappy movie selection.

Reactions: Adam Warlock

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
I ditched my Apple TV 4 for fire tv. I don't like the new apple remote at all and fire tv has prime and allows to side load very easily.

I found I can still sync whole house audio between older apple devices (e.g. Airport Express + Stereo in bedrooms) and FireTV with Kodi as iTunes will stream to Kodi (even video, at least on the slightly older iTunes I have; I'm not sure about the latest releases) and even use my old iPod Touches as a remote for both iTunes + Airplay and Kodi direct. I'm not really missing anything. Plus the FireTV 4K has a functional USB port AND an SD Card port (I can attach local video hard drives or put music on an SD card and/or move Kodi's thumbnails to the SDDrive so they don't take up internal app space; in fact I just did the latter a few weeks ago. I now have 3.68GB free on my two 4k units internally and still have 11.7GB free on the $15 16GB SDCards.

You could hack the living heck out of the 1st Gen ATV for neat uses of its USB port, etc. and even upgrade the video to 1080p with a Broadcom chip and Kodi but the 2nd Gen was a PITA and the 3rd Gen never was cracked. The 4th Gen has an App store, but unless you pay to be a developer, forget side-loading anything you want.

Reactions: jetjaguar

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
I have also cut the cord and Apple TV 4 is my chosen platform for Entertainment. Here in the states we have a few options, I am an early adopter of Direct TV Now which gives me over 100 channels plus HBO for a reasonable price. I do hope the expand the functionality rather than attempt to curb it. I for one would love to see 4K capability.

tanfan

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2015
Apple TV locks you into itunes.......FireTV locks you into Amazon video. This keeps Roku the most popular box.

edit: Nvidia is now gaining popularity as well

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Apple TV locks you into itunes.......FireTV locks you into Amazon video. This keeps Roku the most popular box.

edit: Nvidia is now gaining popularity as well

Roku doesn't give you access to Apple. Roku won't allow any apps to load your own personal video library (ala Kodi). What's good about it?

FireTV (4K) doesn't "lock" you into anything. You can sideload just about anything available for Android in general from Kodi even without a PC to and Android Vudu App. I can even Airplay to Kodi from iTunes.

(
)

(
)

tanfan

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2015
Roku doesn't give you access to Apple. Roku won't allow any apps to load your own personal video library (ala Kodi). What's good about it?

FireTV (4K) doesn't "lock" you into anything. You can sideload just about anything available for Android in general from Kodi even without a PC to and Android Vudu App. I can even Airplay to Kodi from iTunes.

(
)

(
)

Most people don't want kodi, they want streaming channels to buy/rent movies and TV. Roku has just about ALL of them, except itunes (Apples choice). Choices are good. Roku has the most. If your not into itunes there isn't much of a reason to buy an Apple TV imo. Amazon seems to heading down a similar path as Apple with their box.

edit, I don't but people use plex on Roku to access their downloaded content.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Most people don't want kodi, they want streaming channels to buy/rent movies and TV. Roku has just about ALL of them, except itunes (Apples choice). Choices are good. Roku has the most. If your not into itunes there isn't much of a reason to buy an Apple TV imo. Amazon seems to heading down a similar path as Apple with their box.

edit, I don't but people use plex on Roku to access their downloaded content.

So you'd rather rent movies for all eternity than own them and never have to pay to watch them again? I could see some won't watch the same movie again, but the idea that's remotely acceptable for music is foreign to me. I own over 8000 songs I like and don't like today's music and would not be happy paying to here the same music over and over again plus trying to get streaming working in some environments (including the car with random Bluetooth disconnects my Subaru started doing lately) is a nightmare. No thanks. Roku SUCKS because it won't let you install anything you might actually want to use. Even ATV4 isn't that archaic.

tanfan

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2015
So you'd rather rent movies for all eternity than own them and never have to pay to watch them again? I could see some won't watch the same movie again, but the idea that's remotely acceptable for music is foreign to me. I own over 8000 songs I like and don't like today's music and would not be happy paying to here the same music over and over again plus trying to get streaming working in some environments (including the car with random Bluetooth disconnects my Subaru started doing lately) is a nightmare. No thanks. Roku SUCKS because it won't let you install anything you might actually want to use. Even ATV4 isn't that archaic.

But the Apple TV 4 is archaic. Is there any other major box that hasn't already been playing 4K content for some time now? The last few years Apple has been selling yesterdays technology at tomorrows prices. I applaud them for being able to get away with that but I doubt that will last if they don't get back on track soon.
I always purchase movies, never rent. Today that is about 90% digital vs 10% disc. You don't need to side load anything on Roku. Between apps and private apps nothing compares. If somebody ever makes something better I'd be happy to switch, I have no brand loyalty. Of course if kodi or jail breaking/ side loading is your thing there are hundreds of cheap android boxes for those people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.