Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bodija

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2023
No, it's entirely different. You can use the BetterDisplay app to download the EDID file, alter its contents via AW EDID Editor and then use BetterDisplay to apply the new EDID. You have to upload it here (see below) and click `Apply EDID Now` which will briefly disconnect the display and reconnect it with the updated EDID:

View attachment 2155497
I wonder if somebody edited the EDID file for a HDMI dongle connection and altered the interface from HDMI to DisplayPort at Video Interface bits (to 0101 - you can also find the setting under Video Input Definition / Interface in AW EDID EDitor) - would it does make a difference for HDMI dongles? I don't know how exactly macOS classifies a connection as HDMI if it actually receives the signal as DisplayPort from an USB-C dongle besides this - this change should not affect the dongle itself as the EDID override stays on the Mac, but might trigger a change and the DCP (or macOS) will impose a different set of limits on the connection (allowing 4K@120Hz maybe)?

This Worked for me as well

1. Flashed MOSHOU Cable firmware using the "vmm61004k120hzrgb-fullrom.zip"
2. Followed EDID method above posted by @stevemr123 and @AironMan. (custom EDID)

Note: Make sure you are on Ventura
TV: LG C2 42"
HDMI CABLE: MOSHOU USB C TO HDMI 8k 60Hz 4k 120Hz (Aliexpress)

Screenshot 2023-04-06 at 1.47.20 PM.png

Toss4

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2021
Anyone else having an issue where it defaults to HiDPi 120Hz 8 bpc instead of 10 bpc? By changing the name of the display in the settings and applying a reboot without restart then sets everything to 10 bpc again. Not sure why this happens. Bought a new shorter HDMI 2.1 cable to see if this would solve the issue, but happens with the new cable as well.

Reactions: dabotsonline

stevemr123

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
Anyone else having an issue where it defaults to HiDPi 120Hz 8 bpc instead of 10 bpc? By changing the name of the display in the settings and applying a reboot without restart then sets everything to 10 bpc again. Not sure why this happens. Bought a new shorter HDMI 2.1 cable to see if this would solve the issue, but happens with the new cable as well.

If this is about the reported bit depth in BetterDisplay, the issue is unrelated - the reported framebuffer bit depth changes all by itself for unknown reasons on Apple Silicon and is independent of the connection bit depth. It's best not to worry about it. :)

djfearny

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2016
Hi.

Can someone help me please. I have a Macbook Pro M2 MAX connected to a Caldigit TS4 dock. I am currently trying to get the CableMatters 102103-BLK-1.8 Displayport to HDMI cable working at 120hz on my LG C2. When connected to the displayport on the TS4 I only get 60hz and the aspect resolution is all over the place.

I understand from looking at this thread that the cable may need a firmware update but how do I need to connect it in order to do the update. The MBP doesnt have a displayport connector and my only windows machine has HDMI out. Would the cable have to be connected to a displayport to do the update and directly to the machine.

If I connenct the MBP directly to the LG C2 with a 2.1 cable everything works perfectly. As soon at the TS4 dock is introduced then it all goes wrong.

Thank you in advance.

Monstieur

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2018
Hi.

Can someone help me please. I have a Macbook Pro M2 MAX connected to a Caldigit TS4 dock. I am currently trying to get the CableMatters 102103-BLK-1.8 Displayport to HDMI cable working at 120hz on my LG C2. When connected to the displayport on the TS4 I only get 60hz and the aspect resolution is all over the place.

I understand from looking at this thread that the cable may need a firmware update but how do I need to connect it in order to do the update. The MBP doesnt have a displayport connector and my only windows machine has HDMI out. Would the cable have to be connected to a displayport to do the update and directly to the machine.

If I connenct the MBP directly to the LG C2 with a 2.1 cable everything works perfectly. As soon at the TS4 dock is introduced then it all goes wrong.

Thank you in advance.
Connecting through a Thunderbolt dock will limit the output to dual-stream DisplayPort 1.2 (if the dock is passing through to the GPU), or only 2 lanes of DisplayPort 1.4 down from 4 lanes (as bandwidth is consumed for the other devices). Neither can do 4K 120 Hz RGB without DSC.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Connecting through a Thunderbolt dock will limit the output to dual-stream DisplayPort 1.2
Only if you're trying to connect more than one display. If you're connecting two displays then both will be limited to HBR2 or one could be HBR3 and the second could be HBR.

(if the dock is passing through to the GPU)
Thunderbolt docks usually always pass through to the GPU. Are there Thunderbolt docks that use DisplayLink? Maybe. But the TS4 is not one of those. The Blackmagic eGPU or Sonnet eGPU Breakaway Puck have their own GPU but eGPUs don't work with Apple Silicon.

, or only 2 lanes of DisplayPort 1.4 down from 4 lanes
2 lanes of HBR3 is the limit for USB-C docks that support USB 3.x but Thunderbolt docks don't have that limit.

(as bandwidth is consumed for the other devices).
Only another display can consume Thunderbolt DisplayPort bandwidth. PCIe and USB bandwidth is limited by whatever remaining Thunderbolt bandwidth that is not being used for DisplayPort.

Neither can do 4K 120 Hz RGB without DSC.
4K120 should be possible with HBR3 x4 8bpc RGB CVT-RB2 timing without DSC. If you want 10bpc or HDMI timing, then DSC or 4:2:0 is necessary.

Monstieur

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2018
Only if you're trying to connect more than one display. If you're connecting two displays then both will be limited to HBR2 or one could be HBR3 and the second could be HBR.
I was under the impression that if the port is in Thunderbolt mode, it can function only in DisplayPort 1.2 mode even with a single stream single display. Just looked this up and it seems like this was a specific chipset limitation and not a Thunderbolt spec limitation.
2 lanes of HBR3 is the limit for USB-C docks that support USB 3.x but Thunderbolt docks don't have that limit.
Only another display can consume Thunderbolt DisplayPort bandwidth. PCIe and USB bandwidth is limited by whatever remaining Thunderbolt bandwidth that is not being used for DisplayPort.
Did not know this. I stand corrected.
4K120 should be possible with HBR3 x4 8bpc RGB CVT-RB2 timing without DSC. If you want 10bpc or HDMI timing, then DSC or 4:2:0 is necessary.
These adapters are able to accept 4K 120 Hz 8-bit RGB on Windows but they require DSC on the GPU end. They decompress and output non-DSC to the HDMI 2.1 TV. I assume they are using standard timings. Do the timings have to be identical on both ends or can the adapter convert non-DSC with CVT-RB2 timings to standard HDMI timings?

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I was under the impression that if the port is in Thunderbolt mode, it can function only in DisplayPort 1.2 mode even with a single stream single display. Just looked this up and it seems like this was a specific chipset limitation and not a Thunderbolt spec limitation.
Correct. Original Thunderbolt 3 controller "Alpine Ridge" had DisplayPort 1.2 limit. "Titan Ridge" has DisplayPort 1.4 limit.

These adapters are able to accept 4K 120 Hz 8-bit RGB on Windows but they require DSC on the GPU end. They decompress and output non-DSC to the HDMI 2.1 TV. I assume they are using standard timings. Do the timings have to be identical on both ends or can the adapter convert non-DSC with CVT-RB2 timings to standard HDMI timings?
I don't think it can convert timings - that would require the adapter to have memory for an entire framebuffer. The adapter should output whatever timing it was given. The adapter might support decompression but not compression. It can support pixel color transformation between RGB and YCbCr 4:4:4, 4:2:2, 4:2:0 - whatever the output requires. I think most of this info is in the DPCD registers of the adapter which you can get on an Intel Mac using AGDCDiagnose or AllRez.

Monstieur

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2018
I don't think it can convert timings - that would require the adapter to have memory for an entire framebuffer. The adapter should output whatever timing it was given. The adapter might support decompression but not compression. It can support pixel color transformation between RGB and YCbCr 4:4:4, 4:2:2, 4:2:0 - whatever the output requires. I think most of this info is in the DPCD registers of the adapter which you can get on an Intel Mac using AGDCDiagnose or AllRez.
The issue appears to be that macOS does not always use DSC on all DisplayPort devices. 4K 120 Hz 8-bit RGB works fine on some non-DSC CVT-RB2 timings monitors and some DSC standard timings monitors, but certain models do not work. They all work fine on Windows in Boot Camp.

mrcobra92

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2014
Hi.

Thank you in advance.
Got it working! See here

eullin

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2021
Updated
View attachment 2160526

Now using a good HDMI cable by belkin now I'm able to do 4k 144hz on cooler master GP27U

Cable: https://www.belkin.com/th/AVC012bt2MBK.html
Also cable seems to be VM7100 and still works
Hi friend,

did you have to update the firmware? or only the belkin cable supports 4k 144hz??

The cable that managed to update is the USB C to HDMI 2.1 from KabelDirekt 8K, but only up to 120hz in the mac studio, a macbook pro 2016 does not support more than 30hz... with 60hz black screen...
Can you help me?

Thanks for advance
Regards

IMG_6817.jpg
Captura de pantalla 2023-04-27 a las 6.07.08.png

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2021

zeemyself

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2019
In your heart
Hi friend,

did you have to update the firmware? or only the belkin cable supports 4k 144hz??

The cable that managed to update is the USB C to HDMI 2.1 from KabelDirekt 8K, but only up to 120hz in the mac studio, a macbook pro 2016 does not support more than 30hz... with 60hz black screen...
Can you help me?

Thanks for advance
Regards

View attachment 2194237 View attachment 2194240
nope didn't update any firmware only edit EDID

also note that I try to applied one of firmware result in bricked cable

eullin

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2021
nope didn't update any firmware only edit EDID

also note that I try to applied one of firmware result in bricked cable
what exactly did you modify from the EDIC?
Could you help me achieve the same result with a Dell G3223Q 4K 144hz?

Thanks

eullin

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2021
Hi, could you share the belkin cable firmware? I just bricked my cable and didnt make a backup of the firmware.
I have also brinked the belkin cable and the backup does not support it... none of the firmware wakes it up... back to amazon...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.