Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Ghosthengst77

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2023
OTA update from Beta 5 to Beta 6 works perfect on MBP 14,3,but the Post Install still doesn't work with the MBP 14,3.It seems to be a bigger problem!

houser

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2006
I understand that the new Machine Learning features, dubbed Apple Intelligence will be opt-in, by default. I can't remember if Federighi mentioned that at the Apple event.
And it is maybe worth reiterating, that is for Apple Silicon only as it stands. Close to 100% of OCLP users are on Intel and will never need to opt in or out of anything AI from Apple as I understand it. .. and I like it ;)

Reactions: Oxygen-X1 and hvds

hvds

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2017
Switzerland
OTA update from Beta 5 to Beta 6 works perfect on MBP 14,3,but the Post Install still doesn't work with the MBP 14,3.It seems to be a bigger problem!
It is work in progress rather, and a lot of work for the developers, esp. for graphics.
When looking at the OCLP changelog, e.g. you see progress on Kepler graphics, not yet Haswell (like in my MBP11,1). Many other things are already in place, like wifi on mentioned machine.
I‘d say it is a big task rather than a problem. And Sequoia release is still in the future.

LutzRFrank

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2011
Germany/Switzerland/France
Someone said, AI could be turned off like you can turn off Siri in the new OS’.

Who can confirm?

at least there is a switch to turn it off ...

Screenshot 2024-08-15 at 10.09.50.png

Ghosthengst77

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2023
It is work in progress rather, and a lot of work for the developers, esp. for graphics.
When looking at the OCLP changelog, e.g. you see progress on Kepler graphics, not yet Haswell (like in my MBP11,1). Many other things are already in place, like wifi on mentioned machine.
I‘d say it is a big task rather than a problem. And Sequoia release is still in the future.
I mean, only since OCLP 1.6.0n at the Beta 5 works smoothly with everything.The Post Install Patch works at the Beta 6,only after restarting it hangs when the touchbar tries to activate.
I suspect a problem with the T1 chip as it was already in another version of Sequoia.

Reactions: hvds

houser

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2006
at least there is a switch to turn it off ...
Is that an OCLP Mac? If so what Mac and OS is that on if you have a sec?
This is my rMBP 10,1 on the latest Sequoia beta 6 with no AI in sight AFAIK:

Screenshot 2024-08-15 at 14.27.52.png

Last edited:

Sven G

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2012
Milan, EU
Very good news (except for Metal 3802-based machines and non-Metal machines, which will require some more time to be supported: see also below for explanations)…! :cool::)

Early preview of macOS Sequoia support now available!

With the release of PatcherSupportPkg 1.7.0, we've published an early version of our macOS Sequoia patches. Current core patches include the following:

• Metal Graphics support for 31001-based GPUs
    • Intel Broadwell and Skylake
    • AMD GCN 1 - 3 (Polaris and Vega for pre-AVX2.0 CPUs)
  • Legacy and Modern Wireless patches (2017 and older Macs)
    • (Previously published, but not mentioned)
    • Modern:
      • Broadcom BCM94350, BCM94360, BCM43602, BCM94331, BCM943224
    • Legacy:
      • Atheros chipsets
      • Broadcom BCM94322, BCM94328
  • T1 Security Chip patches
    • Applicable for 4 port 13" and 15" 2016-2017 MacBook Pros
    • ApplePay currently unsupported with patches, unknown if support will return
  • USB1.1 patches
    • Applicable for Penryn Macs and MacPro4,1-5,1

We unfortunately cannot support the following hardware with this preview:

• Metal Graphics support for 3802-based GPUs
    • Intel Ivy Bridge and Haswell
    • Nvidia Kepler
  • Non-Metal Graphics support
    • Intel Ironlake and Sandy Bridge
    • AMD TeraScale 1 and 2
    • Nvidia Tesla, Maswell and Pascal
  • T2 Security chip support
    • MacBookAir8,x
  • Dual CPU MacPro3,1 and Xserve2,1 units
    • Single CPU machines (ie. quad core) are still functional
Breakdown:

• Metal 3802 graphics support is currently extremely broken due to a new compiling system introduced with Sequoia rendering all of Sequoia's .metallibs non-functional with 3802.
  • Non-Metal graphics face the same usual issues of reintroducing OpenGL rendering to a Metal-based OS.
  • T2 Security chip is still unsupported, only "hack" is disabling the chip which results in more issues.
  • Dual CPU issues on Penryn Mac Pro and Xserve are unknown, recommend removing a CPU if testing required.
Additionally Continuity Camera currently results in kernel panics. Recommend avoiding usage for the time being.

Current model support

Model Year
SMBIOS Model
Notes
2015 - 2017 MacBook
MacBook8,1 - 10,1
2015 - 2017 MacBook Air
MacBookAir7,x
2015 - 2017 MacBook Pro
MacBookPro12,1 - 14,x
15" 2015 unsupported.
2015 - 2018 iMac
iMac16,x - 18,3
2008 - 2017 Mac Pro
MacPro3,1 - 6,1
For 3,1 - 5,1, 31001 Metal GPU required
2008 - 2009 Xserve
Xserve2,1 - 3,1
31001 Metal GPU required
Hardware with Metal 3802 and non-Metal Graphics Cards, will not be supported in this initial preview of OpenCore Legacy Patcher. Reintegrating support is a difficult task, so we don't expect to have any public binaries to distribute till winter.

Please note that macOS Sequoia is still in active beta, and so is the development of these patches.

This branch continues to be primarily for internal development, and we recommend users not install Sequoia on their devices until the fall when we hope to have a proper release of OpenCore Legacy Patcher with Sequoia support.

• Latest builds for the sequoia-development branch can be found below:
    • […]
Do not distribute direct links to the nightly builds, instead please link back to this pull request. As stated on SOURCE.md, these builds should be used very carefully:

• Warning: Nightly builds (untagged builds built from the latest commit) are actively developed OpenCore Legacy Patcher builds. These builds have not been tested, are not guaranteed to work, and are not guaranteed to be safe. Do not use nightlies without a good reason to do so, and do not use them on your main machine. Additionally, these binaries should not be used without first consulting the CHANGELOG.
    Do not share anylinks to these binaries in forums; please link to this document only.

• Additionally, do not reupload these binaries or download binaries from other sites. Using binaries from untrusted sources is a security issue, as they may have been tampered with.
  • Users running new builds of the project without understanding what has changed and the implications of installing software under active development are at a higher risk of bricking their installation as they do not read any warnings provided in the CHANGELOG. We wish to minimize these situations as much as possible.

Otherwise, we hope everyone's excited for what's to come! And an extra big thank you to everyone who's donated to our OpenCollective, this has greatly helped with Sequoia development as we're able to purchase the hardware needed for development!

Last edited:

Steve Gosselin

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2017
Quebec
Very good news (except for Metal 3802-based machines and non-Metal machines, which will require some more time to be supported: see also below for explanations)…! :cool::)

Early preview of macOS Sequoia support now available!

With the release of PatcherSupportPkg 1.7.0, we've published an early version of our macOS Sequoia patches. Current core patches include the following:

• Metal Graphics support for 31001-based GPUs
    • Intel Broadwell and Skylake
    • AMD GCN 1 - 3 (Polaris and Vega for pre-AVX2.0 CPUs)
  • Legacy and Modern Wireless patches (2017 and older Macs)
    • Modern:
      • Broadcom BCM94350, BCM94360, BCM43602, BCM94331, BCM943224
    • Legacy:
      • Atheros chipsets
      • Broadcom BCM94322, BCM94328
  • T1 Security Chip patches
    • Applicable for 4 port 13" and 15" 2016-2017 MacBook Pros
    • ApplePay currently unsupported with patches, unknown if support will return
  • USB1.1 patches
    • Applicable for Penryn Macs and MacPro4,1-5,1

We unfortunately cannot support the following hardware with this preview:

• Metal Graphics support for 3802-based GPUs
    • Intel Ivy Bridge and Haswell
    • Nvidia Kepler
  • Non-Metal Graphics support
    • Intel Ironlake and Sandy Bridge
    • AMD TeraScale 1 and 2
    • Nvidia Tesla, Maswell and Pascal
  • T2 Security chip support
    • MacBookAir8,x
  • Dual CPU MacPro3,1 and Xserve2,1 units
    • Single CPU machines (ie. quad core) are still functional
Breakdown:

• Metal 3802 graphics support is currently extremely broken due to a new compiling system introduced with Sequoia rendering all of Sequoia's .metallibs non-functional with 3802.
  • Non-Metal graphics face the same usual issues of reintroducing OpenGL rendering to a Metal-based OS.
  • T2 Security chip is still unsupported, only "hack" is disabling the chip which results in more issues.
  • Dual CPU issues on Penryn Mac Pro and Xserve are unknown, recommend removing a CPU if testing required.
Additionally Continuity Camera currently results in kernel panics. Recommend avoiding usage for the time being.

Current model support

Model Year
SMBIOS Model
Notes
2015 - 2017 MacBook
MacBook8,1 - 10,1
2015 - 2017 MacBook Air
MacBookAir7,x
2015 - 2017 MacBook Pro
MacBookPro12,1 - 14,x
15" 2015 unsupported.
2015 - 2018 iMac
iMac16,x - 18,3
2008 - 2017 Mac Pro
MacPro3,1 - 6,1
For 3,1 - 5,1, 31001 Metal GPU required
2008 - 2009 Xserve
Xserve2,1 - 3,1
31001 Metal GPU required
Hardware with Metal 3802 and non-Metal Graphics Cards, will not be supported in this initial preview of OpenCore Legacy Patcher. Reintegrating support is a difficult task, so we don't expect to have any public binaries to distribute till winter.

Please note that macOS Sequoia is still in active beta, and so is the development of these patches.

This branch continues to be primarily for internal development, and we recommend users not install Sequoia on their devices until the fall when we hope to have a proper release of OpenCore Legacy Patcher with Sequoia support.

• Latest builds for the sequoia-development branch can be found below:
    • […]
Do not distribute direct links to the nightly builds, instead please link back to this pull request. As stated on SOURCE.md, these builds should be used very carefully:

Otherwise, we hope everyone's excited for what's to come! And an extra big thank you to everyone who's donated to our OpenCollective, this has greatly helped with Sequoia development as we're able to purchase the hardware needed for development!
The same old story. :cool: At the beginning of Sonoma, the 3802-based Graphics Cards didn't worked:

(Jun 7, 2023) 3802-based Graphics Cards

As mentioned in the 31001 section, Apple transitioned to a new LLVM version 32023. This has major implications with 3802 GPUs, as we're currently barely working with the Ventura release.
Specifically we're relying on 13.2.1's 31001 binaries to run, and as such 32023 will not be compatible with these GPUs.

At the time of writing, there has been no success at all with Sonoma, and we believe this will be our biggest challenge for support. Overall we're unsure if we can support these graphics cards.

And now, "all" works fine with Sonoma and 3802-based Graphics Cards! OCLP developers will find a solution.

Last edited:

TOM1211

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
Now there is a warning if you try to patch a 3802 system with the latest OCLP Sequoia nightly:
View attachment 2407336
So we’ll just have to wait…

it’s seems we are a long way from Big Sur now as my last supported MacOS , still amazing work by Devs and a hope for the future with a winter update for the 3802 (they haven’t said no chance) so we should take that as a win.

paolo35

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2018
With the latest OCLP nightly (1cbee93) I now have working Wi-Fi, Graphics acceleration and Touch ID on my MacBook Pro 13,2.
Great work Devs!

View attachment 2407360
Hi, strangly with my iMac 18,3 (2017) I can install Sequoia beta6 and the OCLP 1.6 but after installing the patch the imac restarts en hangs bon the Apple logo with a small peace of the line below it. It hangs 'foreever'....I installed on the HDD and Sonoma is on external SSD with succes.
Any help in this? thanks!

Last edited:

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
Hi, strangly with my iMac 18,3 (2017) I can install Sequoia beta6 and the OCLP 1.6 but after installing the patch the imac restarts en hangs bon the Apple logo with a small peace of the line below it. It hangs 'foreever'....I installed on the HDD and Sonoma is on external SSD with succes.
Any help in this? thanks!
Did you watch the video I posted above? Jesse has a 2017 iMac and his only issue was no wifi.

stphammond

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2023
Glad to report my 2015 MBP12,1 finally works with the Sequoia root patches with the latest OCLP update. I knew from the day Sequoia was announced that this would be possible, keeping that system going for at least another year.

Reactions: hvds and Calibre5

Dimvol

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2022
iMac 18.2 (2017). Thanks, of course, but I don't need something like "works" like that. It "works" in Sonoma as well. I wonder why it's so feverish? But no one pays attention to such trifles.
Ventura:Sequoia temp.png

Reactions: hvds
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.