Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

ronton3

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2021
The only glitch with the latest OCLP Sequoia builds, at least on my machine, is that once having done the root patching and rebooted, OpenCore-Patcher doesn’t say that all applicabile patches are already installed, but proposes to install them again: a very minor annoyance…
I am glad that did not happen on mine.

houser

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2006
What so far looks like a happy install on a rMBP 10,1 from 2012 and a work in progress one on a MBA 3,2 from 2010.
Both on Sequoia dev b8 and OCLP 1.6 nightly as of yesterday. Both boot after Sequoia install.
The rMBP runs root patches without a glitch.The MBA with some resistance that will probably be resolved by Father Time and not worth reporting at this time, other than that Wifi works and Graphics acceleration does not and and I can so far not safe boot to try to maybe get the graphic patches through (black screen).
Probably a good idea to just wait for new versions for this one.
The rMBP currently sits with fans running amok, doing the usual housework I assume.

TOM1211

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
So Sequoia runs well on my mid 2014 MacBook Pro using all morning only issues are video in safari/app store/ and Apple TV will green screen sound fine but video no go easy fix for safari using a different browser for videos on web browser obviously won’t solve Apple TV and App Store .

houser

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2006
So Sequoia runs well on my mid 2014 MacBook Pro using all morning only issues are video in safari/app store/ and Apple TV will green screen sound fine but video no go easy fix for safari using a different browser for videos on web browser obviously won’t solve Apple TV and App Store .
Maybe helpful or not, but my rMBP 10,1 is an older cousin to your Mac and does not have those anomalies at all so far. FWIW.

Portiere

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2022
All works well on my mac mini L2012. Thanks to all OCLP developpers.

Attachments

• sequoia.jpg
    sequoia.jpg
    795.7 KB · Views: 71

houser

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2006
Just wondering, did you do the upgrade OTA from sys settings? Or make a USB installer?
I have actually maintained a Sequoia partition since the betas began and always updated from a Mr Macintosh download of the installer.pkg of Sequoia, as the OTA never worked. Just attempting to be informed of what Sequoia was about. As I had a working EFI to boot Sequoia unpatched, what I did now was basically just download the OCLP Sequoia nightly and ran the root patches on the b8 partition. If that makes sense. It is what I have done for the last few OCLP/MacOS dev phases in anticipation of working root patches.

Last edited:

olad

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2013
Accra, Ghana.
iMac 13,2 (late 2012) and Sequoia developer beta (up to Beta 8)

Edit: Found solution for problem described below - downloaded and compiled newest Sequoia - development OCLP, and manually replaced EFI contents on Volume running sequoia, and the SSD (attached to HDD), which is part of the original fusion drive. Running Sequoia beta 8 - unpatched, but very usable

Hello to all,

I was able to install OTA every version of Sequoia, including Beta 8, on the iMac 13,2's internal drive volume. There were no patches to apply, but as others have noted, system was very usable on many machines.

However, after installing Sequoia Beta 8, which was functional, I updated to the newest (at the time of beat 8 release) nightly OCLP. On reboot with new OCLP installation the Sequoia Beta 8 volume no longer booted; in fact it entered boot loop.

Reinstalling Sequoia from another volume, or a USB stick, resulted in same boot loop. I erased affected volume(s), but neither fresh install using external USB drives with full installer, nor an OTA installation over ("fresh") Sonoma 14.7, resulted in working system. In contrast, Sonoma installed without any issues on volumes previously populated by Sequoia betas. Deleting OC from mounted EFI partitions, and reapplying OCLP, also did not change the outcomes.
Using recovery partition resulted in "incompatible" message.

In all cases of attempted Sequoia re-installations, process would continue until first reboot; once OCLP picker appeared on the screen, only a generic "install OS" icon was present, rather than one with Sequoia colors. Selecting that "generic" icon to boot invariably resulted in boot loop. Resetting NVRAM had no positive effect. No matter which permutation of installation steps I used (many) Sequoia seems no longer "installable" on my iMac 13,2.

I did invoke Verbose Boot on one attempt, and prominent among messages were the following:

1. "EFI ROM does not support large BaseSystems". (search on the internet did not bring viable information)

2. "NVRAM anomaly occurred" (paraphrasing visible part of the message)

Given that Sonoma can be installed on any volume / drive without issues, "mechanical /electronic fault" can be excluded(?). It is then possible, that some combination of changes in the latest (?) OCLP, OS Sequoia beta8, or both, "prompted" iMac 13,2 to develop "allergy" to Sequoia.

I am aware of the risks of using beta software, whether OCLP or Mac OS; this post is about reporting an issue and in no way intended to point in any direction - Id faciam periculo meo.

Thank you to developers for their incredible work.
id faciam periculo meo - I worked out the meaning from behind - my peril, before 'faciam' (from an old saying - cucullum non facit monacum - the hood does not make a monk). Nice to know we have folks on this forum that send us scrurrying for a translator. Apologies for the digression.

TOM1211

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
Tried a fresh install still same errors on Apple TV , safari and the App Store for my mid 2014 green screen on the graphics.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
So, even if Sequoia becomes fully functional with OCLP, I'm still hesitate to use it (even if I had a supported Ma) because of the changes to gatekeeper and unsigned apps. I use a few open source alternative apps from mac native that aren't signed, and I would be concerned if they would still work, or if I should consider this the end of the line of macOS updates beyond Sonoma, for special cases like this.

coolio2004

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
Install of beta 8 on my MM7,1 with latest oclp 1.6ns went fine for the first time.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2024-09-04 um 14.19.38.jpeg
    Bildschirmfoto 2024-09-04 um 14.19.38.jpeg
    296.5 KB · Views: 46
Reactions: MacRumors3590

houser

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2006
Still no luck but Nevermind it’s all Beta at the minute , posted it on discord one other user so far (lol) has the same experience.
Yes. I would venture a guess that that issue is at the heart of it. It should be resolved down the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: TOM1211

cybazaar

macrumors member
May 12, 2020
MacBookPro11,2 - Late 2013 15" Retina MacBook Pro

Installed beta 8 with the last nightly OCLP build. First boot showed a scrambled login screen. Booted into Safe mode, applied patches, and then it booted fine. Note, patching took a lot longer than it used to with Sonoma, but it was progressing, not stuck. Didn't need to download anything manually, nor connect any cables for connectivity. Wi-Fi worked and connected automatically to known networks. Most things work as before except the two I noticed so far:

- iPhone Mirroring doesn't work with my iPhone 13 Pro.
- Continuity Camera doesn't work either - it used to work with later Sonoma builds

Update: both of these are known problems at this point. iPhone mirroring requires Apple silicon.

Last edited:
Reactions: ponta pon pon

ronton3

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2021
Imac 27,13.2/3802. After enjoying speady responses on Sequioa 15.8,for a bit, I noticed a couple of oddities, I was asked to login(I have it set on auto), the desktop backgound began flowing like it does on Apple TV in sleep mode.

I decided to download the latest nightly and was going to repatch, but it is stuck in an endless reboot loop. Shift key does not bring safe mode, recovery shows Sequioa but it won't connect. I have reset NVRM, and unplugged.

Any ideas how to solve this please.

Last edited:

coolio2004

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
Imac 27,13.2/3802. After enjoying speady responses on Sequioa 15.8,for a bit, I noticed a couple of oddities, I was asked to login(I have it set on auto), the desktop backgound began flowing like it does on Apple TV in sleep mode.

I decided to download the latest nightly and was going to repatch, but it is stuck in an endless reboot loop. Shift key does not bring safe mode, recovery shows Sequioa but it won't connect. I have reset NVRM, and unplugged.

Any ideas how to solve this please.
On my haswell MM 7,1 I had to finish 100% installation twice with safe mode.

Reactions: ronton3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.